Bay

Richard Sherman says Russell Wilson is better than Luck and RG3

NFL.com

Seattle Seahawks rookie quarterback Russell Wilson led his team on the road to a 23-17 overtime victory Sunday against a vaunted Chicago Bears defense to remain in the playoff race.

After the victory, the always loquacious Richard Sherman said his rookie quarterback is better than the Andrew Lucks or Robert Griffin IIIs of the NFL.

"They're going to hype who they're going to hype, and you're in the Seattle market, and it doesn't matter what you do," the Seahawks' cornerback said, via USA Today. "He's beat the Bears, the Packers, the Patriots. You show me another quarterback with his resume, and I'll show you a great quarterback. But he doesn't get the credit because they don't want to give him the credit. They don't want to make him a big name. They make the guys a big name who they want to make a big name.

"He's a great quarterback, and he's probably a little better than those guys."

Edited by BayAreaBomber

I'd probably say:

1. RGIII

2. Wilson

3. Luck

:shrug:

Luck had a nice comeback but he had to comeback because he had 3 INTs lol. Statistically Wilson has been much better than Luck. RGIII is the best though.

Edited by BradyFan81

You see, Richard Sherman, Russell Wilson has lost to the Cardinals, Lions, Rams, and Dolphins, too. Kevin Kolb, Sam Bradford and Ryan Tannehil have bested him. What exactly does that earn him?

I have no problem with it Sherman just talking up his QB and he was right when he said he won it for them yesterday.

I mean seriously come on now he isn't going to put his QB down and say he is worse then Luck and RG3.

Edited by Sacks98

Sherman just doesn't know when to shut up, does he? I like the kids talent and potential, cheating aside... But come on man. Shut up and play the game.

• Upvote 1

Sherman just doesn't know when to shut up, does he? I like the kids talent and potential, cheating aside... But come on man. Shut up and play the game.

Yea, I agree. It seems like Sherman says something controversial almost every week. The guy is a great CB, but he really needs to keep his mouth shut.

And lol at Wilson being better than RG3.

It was in a post game interview don't know why it really matters though who cares thats his opinion if he wants to voice it he can.

Surprised people are taking offense to this if it wasn't Sherman doing it i bet this would get little to no publicity lol.

Edited by Sacks98

Looks like someone's had a little too much Adderall. :troll:

• Upvote 1

You see, Richard Sherman, Russell Wilson has lost to the Cardinals, Lions, Rams, and Dolphins, too. Kevin Kolb, Sam Bradford and Ryan Tannehil have bested him. What exactly does that earn him?

Seattle lost to those teams, but it wasn't because of Wilson.

@ARI: First game, Carroll had severely limited the playbook fearing mistakes. Wilson drove down the field in the final minutes and threw 7 passes into the endzone that if caught, would've won the game. 3 or 4 of them hit receivers in the hands and were dropped, the others thrown out of bounds because of pressure.

@DET: Wilson drove down and scored a go ahead TD with 4 or 5 minutes left to go up by 3. Seattle D gave up a TD drive that consumed nearly the entire clock. QBR of 93.7.

@MIA: With no run support to rely on, Russell racked up a 90.7 QBR and 125.9 passer rating anyway, and held a 21-14 lead midway through the 4th. Again, Seattle D playing soft zone let Tannehill drive down the field and put up 10 straight.

The STL loss was on everyone, just a bad game all around.

Also, regarding Sherman's comments... considering he both defended against Luck and caught passes from him while they played Stanford together, I'd say he knows what he's talking about, at least in comparison between Luck and Wilson. RGIII, not so much.

I mean, based on this season alone.. Wilson has outplayed Luck, not RGIII.

Either way though, they both have more potential then Wilson, and I'd take either in a heartbeat over Wilson long-term.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

I love me some Russell Wilson.

To the dude saying Luck "had a nice comeback" though... how about SIX comebacks? Not including a possible 7th against my Jags if not for a Cecil Shorts 80 yard shocker with 50 seconds left after Luck drove the Colts down to take the lead with a minute left.

Stat wise, they've both out played Luck, even though Luck has by far more yards than both.

There's no way to tell right now who'll be the best between the three, but my money is on Luck. RGIII has durability concerns. I wouldn't say Wilson won't end up being the best though. I disagree with Donovan about Russell. I don't think his potential is less than Luck and RGIII. Wilson is a stud, straight up, always has been. Being a Noles fan I absolutely hated when they played NC State because Wilson would always tear us up (not unlike most NC St. QBs for that matter, Glennon, Philip Rivers, etc.) He's just made to be a QB.

When Wilson gets some real weapons in his receiving core, watch the fuck out.

• Upvote 1

Let me clarify a bit on my last post. The only negative about Russell is his height... and that's it. The thing with Russell though, is he used to play baseball. Now I know that would be followed by a, "Yeah, and?" But baseball players learn how to change their throwing arm from different platforms while on the move. Russell excels at this. Even though he's shorter than most his OL, he can find the holes, move around, find passing lanes and release the ball however needed to get the ball to where it needs to go. Other than that, what other negative does he have really? He doesn't. He has the arm strength, he's mobile, he's a running threat, he's smart, good accuracy, smart football IQ.

I'm telling you, he's BEEN the real deal. Still thought he was drafted way too low.

Thank you for that Samson. I'm getting so sick of people writing off anything Wilson does because of the team he has around him. It's no accident that when we limited Wilson and relied soley on the run game our offense was floundering, and then when we took the reigns off and let Wilson have full control the offense took off. Wilson never needed to be coddled, and doing so was hurting a promising season. Wilson is the one who keeps extending plays and making big gains out of nothing. He's the one who has turned Sidney Rice and Golden Tate into legitamate passing threats. He's the glue that hold that offense together, and the spark that sets it off.

Now do I think he's the best of the rookie QBs? He's making a hell of a case for it, but right now it's a toss-up etween him and RGIII. RG3 has played the most consistant football over the course of the season, but wilson has improved the farthest and i believe has been playing the best ball recently. In the end I think it might come down to whose team goes farthest in the playoffs.

As for Andrew Luck... I've never made it any secret that I hate the hype he gets. Do I think he's a good QB? Yes. Do I think he'll be a solid starter for the Cols for the forseeable future? Yes. Do I think he's ROTY material? No. The fact is that Luck being hyped beyond what his level of play warrents. He's having a decent season, but if any other QB was putting up a 1 for 1 TD to INT ratio I don't think anyone could look me in the eye and tell me he was playing high level football.

"But WAIT!" I hear you say! "Luck has less to work with so he should get lieniancy!" I say that's a desperate excuse. Luck has the best recieving corp out of the three "top" rookies. He also has a better defense than RGIII's redskins. Peyton Manning put up reasonable to great seasons with this same team around him. Luck should be able to do better than this. I don't care how many yards he has. I don't care how many passing attempts he has. The fact of the matter is that a 1 to 1 TD/INT ratio and a 50% completion rate is NOT high level football. Now, I don't expect the kind of efficiency RGIII and Wilson put up from every QB, but you have to do better than 1 for 1 and 50% no matter how bad a team you have around you if you want to succeed as a QB in this league.

I've also heard people point to his many comeback wins. I answer back with this question : How many of those were because Luck himself put his team in a position where a comeback was nescissary because he gave up multiple INTs? You don't get bonus points for cleaning up a mess you yourself made. Especially when the only reason you're in a wildcard berth is because you've had an easy schedule. Luck has been... well... lucky. (excuse the pun). He gives the Colts a bright future, but as of right now nobody looking at the evidence with an impartial eye could seriously put him over Russel Wilson. The only one even in competition with Wilson is RGIII.

Edited by Jayrus
  • Upvote 1

I understand where he's coming from, but yes a little over the top.

Wilson is better than Luck. Here's a good example why: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/85192/wilson-luck-vs-same-eight-opponents

ESPN takes their stats from the eight common opponents the Seahawks and the Colts had this year.

The chart shows Wilson with significant advantages in NFL passer rating (114.4 to 74.6) and Total QBR (84.8 to 68.1) against Chicago, Minnesota, Green Bay, the New York Jets, Miami, New England, Buffalo and Detroit. He has a 17-1 ratio of touchdown passes to interceptions in those games, compared to 14-13 for Luck. The ratio of total touchdowns to total turnovers is 20-3 for Wilson and 14-16 for Luck.

20/3 vs 14/16 (TDs/TOs) in eight common games. Yet somehow people think Luck is the better QB? Wilson is far more efficient with the football. Luck is leading the league in INTs. I think Luck will be a great QB one day, but this year, Wilson is the better QB.

Now about RG3. I would give RG3 the slight nod over Wilson for the ROY award, but it is up in the air for the final two-game stretch. The *only* reason being that the Hawks have a huge advantage over the Skins as far as their defense goes, and Wilson doesn't have to try to carry his team over a poor defense. I won't punish Wilson for that, but if two guys have had similarly efficient play, I can give it to RG3 on that tiebreaker- RG3's defense isn't #2 in the league.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

My issue with RGIII and Wilson. Especially RGIII since he's already had been injured twice. Can They last in the NFL with their style of play at their size? There are some guys like Big Ben, Newton and to a lesser extent Luck whose bodies are more equipped to take that punishment, but Luck is more in the mold of an Aaron Rodgers who can hurt you scrambling but he can hurt you much worse with his arm. I think in the end, Luck's style of play and his size will ensure that Luck can stay healthy enough to realize his full potential and it will lengthen his career vs. RGIII and Wilson. I think Luck, RGIII and Wilson are all in different positions though. The Colts running game is laughable, but the Skins and the Seahawks have really good running games. I think the reason why Luck throws so many picks is because he's carrying a lot more pressure on his shoulders. Every game is pretty much up to him offensively. Reggie Wayne gives him a lot of help, but in the end every game the Colts in is off of Luck's arm. He's a rookie so a couple games are lost of his arm too, but I think the hype is warranted and time will show it to be so.

• Upvote 1

My issue with RGIII and Wilson. Especially RGIII since he's already had been injured twice. Can They last in the NFL with their style of play at their size? There are some guys like Big Ben, Newton and to a lesser extent Luck whose bodies are more equipped to take that punishment, but Luck is more in the mold of an Aaron Rodgers who can hurt you scrambling but he can hurt you much worse with his arm. I think in the end, Luck's style of play and his size will ensure that Luck can stay healthy enough to realize his full potential and it will lengthen his career vs. RGIII and Wilson. I think Luck, RGIII and Wilson are all in different positions though. The Colts running game is laughable, but the Skins and the Seahawks have really good running games. I think the reason why Luck throws so many picks is because he's carrying a lot more pressure on his shoulders. Every game is pretty much up to him offensively. Reggie Wayne gives him a lot of help, but in the end every game the Colts in is off of Luck's arm. He's a rookie so a couple games are lost of his arm too, but I think the hype is warranted and time will show it to be so.

Those are very good concerns, and honestly I've been fearing for RG3's future for awhile. Wilson however, not so much. Wilson does occasionally use the read-option, but usually he's looking to pass and using his legs to AVOID hits until someone gets open. Most of the time he'll only take off running if all his other options have been taken away. Also note that most of the time when he does take off he's able to get down or to the sideline before anyone can hit him. He's extremely careful about that, and because of it has taken very few hits all season. The only hits he's taken are really the few times he's been sacked. He rarely takes a knockdown.

I am not so worried with Wilson he will slide or get out of bounds basically takes what the Defenses gives him then gets out of harms way he isn't reckless like Vick fighting for extra yardage.

The plays this season in which RGIII has been hurt could of easily been avoided if he slid instead of trying to play hero. He's young, and you hope with time he can learn to avoid the big hits by sliding, along with Shanaham limiting the zone option stuff.

A-Rod is a guy who as the years have gone by has begun taking the safer route of sliding or running out of bounds, and RGIII is pretty similar in size to A-Rod.

Luck is in a tough situation because he is asked to throw the ball more down the field then RGIII and Wilson, which does lead to more INTs. He's being asked to be a gunslinger, and that's something that has never been asked of Luck. At least not while he was in college.

But it doesn't mean he has more responsibilities offensively then RGIII... RGIII is as important to the Skins' offensive success as Luck is to his.

Thank you for that Samson. I'm getting so sick of people writing off anything Wilson does because of the team he has around him. It's no accident that when we limited Wilson and relied soley on the run game our offense was floundering, and then when we took the reigns off and let Wilson have full control the offense took off. Wilson never needed to be coddled, and doing so was hurting a promising season. Wilson is the one who keeps extending plays and making big gains out of nothing. He's the one who has turned Sidney Rice and Golden Tate into legitamate passing threats. He's the glue that hold that offense together, and the spark that sets it off.

Now do I think he's the best of the rookie QBs? He's making a hell of a case for it, but right now it's a toss-up etween him and RGIII. RG3 has played the most consistant football over the course of the season, but wilson has improved the farthest and i believe has been playing the best ball recently. In the end I think it might come down to whose team goes farthest in the playoffs.

As for Andrew Luck... I've never made it any secret that I hate the hype he gets. Do I think he's a good QB? Yes. Do I think he'll be a solid starter for the Cols for the forseeable future? Yes. Do I think he's ROTY material? No. The fact is that Luck being hyped beyond what his level of play warrents. He's having a decent season, but if any other QB was putting up a 1 for 1 TD to INT ratio I don't think anyone could look me in the eye and tell me he was playing high level football.

"But WAIT!" I hear you say! "Luck has less to work with so he should get lieniancy!" I say that's a desperate excuse. Luck has the best recieving corp out of the three "top" rookies. He also has a better defense than RGIII's redskins. Peyton Manning put up reasonable to great seasons with this same team around him. Luck should be able to do better than this. I don't care how many yards he has. I don't care how many passing attempts he has. The fact of the matter is that a 1 to 1 TD/INT ratio and a 50% completion rate is NOT high level football. Now, I don't expect the kind of efficiency RGIII and Wilson put up from every QB, but you have to do better than 1 for 1 and 50% no matter how bad a team you have around you if you want to succeed as a QB in this league.

I've also heard people point to his many comeback wins. I answer back with this question : How many of those were because Luck himself put his team in a position where a comeback was nescissary because he gave up multiple INTs? You don't get bonus points for cleaning up a mess you yourself made. Especially when the only reason you're in a wildcard berth is because you've had an easy schedule. Luck has been... well... lucky. (excuse the pun). He gives the Colts a bright future, but as of right now nobody looking at the evidence with an impartial eye could seriously put him over Russel Wilson. The only one even in competition with Wilson is RGIII.

EXCELLENT post. Echoes my sentiments exactly.

425533_537738346237648_377292538_n.jpg

This is what some of you guys make him out to be.

No that would be what people think of Tim Tebow.

You disagree?

He has eight total touchdowns over the Seahawks' past two games. He trails only Peyton Manning and Tom Brady in Total QBR since Week 2. He trails only Aaron Rodgers and Manning in NFL passer rating over the same period. His 97.6 QBR score Sunday night was the highest in the NFL for Week 16.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/86156/seahawks-and-their-qb-are-hotter-than-hot

You disagree?

Yes.