butta54

Black Monday!

Every year we witness some last week heroics boosting a team onto the path to the playoffs. However, we also see teams not quite putting everything together and just missing out on the big dance. And of course there are those teams which never had any chance whatsoever to make the playoffs and were playing week 17 games for draft position (Chiefs). Either way once the smoke clears on the last regular season NFL Sunday we have the infamous BLACK MONDAY. A day in which the ownership of multiple teams make a decision to make a change in their leadership (GM & Head Coach) in hopes of putting their team back on track. With so much going on and changes being made what are your thoughts on all the moves now that the regular season is over?

SO far....

Arizona Cardinals: Fired HC Ken Whisenhunt and GM Rod Graves

Buffalo Bills: Fired HC Chan Gailey. GM Buddy Nix's status is unclear.

Chicago Bears: Fired HC Lovie Smith

Cleveland Browns: Fired HC Pat Shurmur and GM Heckert

Kansas City Chiefs: Fired HC Romeo Crennel. GM Scott Pioli's status is uncertain.

Philadelphia Eagles: Fired HC Andy Reid

San Diego Chargers: Fired HC Norv Turner and GM A.J. Smith

Safe?....

New York Jets: Will keep Rex Ryan and fire GM Mike Tannenbaum

Dallas Cowboys: Will keep Jason Garrett and will search for a new play-calling OC

Tennessee Titans: Will keep Mike Munchak.

Guest Phailadelphia

I don't like the idea of teams firing GMs but keeping coaches. Ties the hands of the incoming GM doesn't it?

I never really thought much about the GM-HC relationship until looking at all the moves today. I didn't realize it was such a difficult concept for so many teams. I guess everyone has their own view, but to me there is one way to do it and that is to pick a combo that fits well together. To me it doesn't matter if you have an existing coach and bringing in a GM or the other way around you should be aiming to hire someone who is on the same page.

My guesses for where coaches will end up:

Chicago: Mike McCoy

Buffalo: Lovie Smith

Philadelphia: Chip Kelly

Kansas City: Kirk Ferentz

San Diego: Bruce Arians

Arizona: IDK...

Cleveland: I wanna say Nick Saban or Bill O'Brien but I doubt Saban would want to leave for Cleveland, and Bill O'Brien can't be that big of a dhouche... Can he?

This is hard yo

Cleveland: I wanna say Nick Saban or Bill O'Brien but I doubt Saban would want to leave for Cleveland, and Bill O'Brien can't be that big of a dhouche... Can he?

This is hard yo

Some of the articles I have read say the Eagles wanted Kelly but it wont happen because he wants complete control of the team.

I really think Arians ends up in SD like you mentioned.

Edited by Smell My Face

I think the Cardinals just end up promoting Ray Horton from DC to HC.

Some of the articles I have read say the Eagles wanted Kelly but it wont happen because he wants complete control of the team.

I really think Arians ends up in SD like you mentioned.

I actually think Chip Kelly would be a great fit with the Panthers. But IDK if they'll get rid of Rivera, and probably won't know by Wedsnday at the earliest... I was just hearing Lurie talk this morning (morning for me is 2 PM) when I woke up, and he pretty much described either Chip Kelly, or Kyle Shanaham.

Everybody seems to think Arizona is gonna promote their DC, but I don't think that's a good idea. They need to find an offensive minded HC imo.

I actually think Chip Kelly would be a great fit with the Panthers. But IDK if they'll get rid of Rivera, and probably won't know by Wedsnday at the earliest... I was just hearing Lurie talk this morning (morning for me is 2 PM) when I woke up, and he pretty much described either Chip Kelly, or Kyle Shanaham.

Everybody seems to think Arizona is gonna promote their DC, but I don't think that's a good idea. They need to find an offensive minded HC imo.

Chip Kellys offense with Cam Newton would be nasty! Sounds like a good match to me.

This is hard yo

With all due respect Joel, go fuck yourself. :dry:

• Upvote 1

-I'm not sure why Chip Kelly is such a big name out there for a position. Yes he has one of the flashiest offenses in college, but a spread read option team in the NFL? It will get shut down so he either converts to a pro style or takes his lumps with a college style offense. Either way I don't see it working out.

-I'm hearing the same thing with the Cardinals. Horton and his entire defensive staff was kept on for next year, they clearly intend to have him with the Cardinals next year either running the defense or the team. I believe it could work if he is the HC. Just let him run the defense and set the tone for the whole team while someone else focuses solely on offense. Special teams coaches and defensive coaches make the best HC IMO.

-And YES Bill O'Brien will probably leave as soon as he gets an opportunity. Responsible for rebuilding the historic Penn State program after that chaos? No one wants that.

With all due respect Joel, go fuck yourself. :dry:

lmao. You are the only Eagle fan I know who's against it. haha.

Chip Kelly is a genius almost in the mold of BB... Not in the scheme they run or anything but by the way they operate. If he made the switch to the pros he'd change his game. I honestly will be jealous of whoever gets their hands on Kelly... Especially if they have a multi-dimensional QB.

I don't like the idea of teams firing GMs but keeping coaches. Ties the hands of the incoming GM doesn't it?

I agree. I hate the thought of GMs coming in and not being able to pick their own guy. Unless they REALLY believe in the current coach, it's just a bad idea.

It is also going to limit who is going to come in and accept that job, IMO. Accepting a job to GM in New York would suck major ass, IMO. Having to put up with Rex Ryan and the whole "circus" shit that goes on there every year.

I kinda feel sorry for Whisenhunt. Dude is a great coach and did an incredible job with that team. Not his fault the Cardinals can't draft offensive talent for shit. Hopefully he ends up on a team where he can do some good, whether as a HC or OC. Not sure if he'd be willing to make the step back down to OC though.

• Upvote 1

lmao. You are the only Eagle fan I know who's against it. haha.

Chip Kelly is a genius almost in the mold of BB... Not in the scheme they run or anything but by the way they operate. If he made the switch to the pros he'd change his game. I honestly will be jealous of whoever gets their hands on Kelly... Especially if they have a multi-dimensional QB.

taxidriver.gif

Exactly. I keep telling people this who always say they're skeptical of his run option offense in the NFL (not like the Redskins didn't make it work or anything btw :rolleyes: ) But that's not his draw, it's not his offense that has teams intrigued, like DMHOF said it's the way he runs things, the way he operates. His practices, how fast and professional they are (which is why Belicheck went to pick his brain.) His new style of decision making (people are calling it Kellyball, a play on Moneyball.) Not in the sense of WAR or anything like baseball, football isn't close to an individual sport like baseball. But in percentages on going for it on 4th down and certain yardages, when to onside kick, when to go for two, etc. etc. This guy leaves no stone unturned. With his mind, there's no way he'd implement his Oregon offense if he didn't have the talent for it to work on his NFL team. He'd get creative, like he always has, and cook up something different.

The only iffy thing about Kelly is that he wants nearly full control, that's risky personnel wise. Does he have a handle on the NFL and it's players? Tom Coughlin made a similar jump with the Jags and had lots of control, that worked out until they spent big in '98 and '99 and the salary cap got them in trouble. Although the difference is Coughlin has NFL coaching experience before then anyways (coached on Parcell's Giants SB staff, etc.) So it would be a first I think, being Kelly has no NFL experience. Tough sell.

My picks...

Chicago: Bruce Arians

Buffalo: Ken Whisenhunt

Philadelphia: Lovie Smith

Kansas City: Ray Horton

San Diego: Bill O'Brien :(

Arizona: Andy Reid

Cleveland: Chip Kelly

Edited by Sarge

Ill take a shot at this

Chicago: Bruce Arians

Philadelphia: Jon Gruden

Kansas City: Ray Horton

San Diego: Bill OBrien

Arizona: Andy Reid

Cleveland: Chip Kelly

Edited by Kardiac Kids

There are so many names out there that I'd be happy with for the Eagles, but Chip Kelly isn't one of them. I'm still high on Jay Gruden, but I wouldn't mind Lovie Smith at all, especially if we can get a good offensive coordinator like Norv Turner.

• Upvote 2

Who are some good GM's the Titans might look to bring in? Or just a list of good GM's in general?

@AdamSchefter

Plot thickens: Before arriving in Arizona tonight, Andy Reid will interview today in Philadelphia with the KC Chiefs, via @mortreport.

I kinda feel sorry for Whisenhunt. Dude is a great coach and did an incredible job with that team. Not his fault the Cardinals can't draft offensive talent for shit. Hopefully he ends up on a team where he can do some good, whether as a HC or OC. Not sure if he'd be willing to make the step back down to OC though.

Completely agree. Wisenhunt had success when he had an actual QB in Arizona. I definitely think he should remain a HC somewhere. Apparently, he is the lead candidate for Buffalo already.

There are so many names out there that I'd be happy with for the Eagles, but Chip Kelly isn't one of them. I'm still high on Jay Gruden, but I wouldn't mind Lovie Smith at all, especially if we can get a good offensive coordinator like Norv Turner.

+1 for mentioning Jay Gruden. Everyone is talking about John, but Jay has done a very nice job with Cincy's offense. I definitely expect him to get some HC looks this off-season.

Browns interviewing Bill O'Brien.

Bears got permission to interview Bruce Arians.

Mike McCoy is scheduled to interview with the Bills, Cards and Eagles.

It looks like Reid is headed to KC, but it is not official.

Am I missing any updates?

The Sideline View's Adam Caplan reports that Bill O'Brien will stay at Penn State and will not interview with any more NFL teams this year.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora also has the same information. Caplan says that O'Brien interviewed with the Eagles on Thursday, and the Browns reportedly interviewed him earlier in the week. The chances of O'Brien leaving Happy Valley always seemed slim, so it shouldn't come as a major shock. Caplan has been on top of the situation from the start, and he got the sense that O'Brien would not make the leap back to the pros after one season with the Nittany Lions. Syracuse's Doug Marrone is now back in the No. 2 slot behind Chip Kelly among college coaches possibly heading to the NFL.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Some not-so-bold predictions:

• The Eagles win the Chip Kelly sweepstakes.
  • The Browns miss out on Kelly but get Doug Marrone instead.
  • The Bills hire Ken Wisenhunt.
  • The Cardinals promote Ray Horton to head coach.
  • The Bears hire Mike McCoy.
  • The Chargers hire Lovie Smith.

Edited by SteVo

Chip Kelly is going to the Browns it looks like, so so much for your predictions, SteVo. :p