Thanatos

Black former NFL coaches say Rooney rule is broken

Actually.. it would be hard to take Trestman for anything but Jewish. haha. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

And I completely agree with you. I want Tony Dungy to get on his soapbox and start talking about how there aren't any Asian or we've only had like... 2 or 3 Hispanic head coaches, IIRC. Including most recently Ron Rivera, of course.

It's dumb, petty, and yes.... Racist.

I am ALL for equality amongst ALL races. But what else can the NFL do except for force an NFL team to hire non-white coaches? Not really anything.

I firmly believe no owner or GM in this league picks their coach because of the color of their skin. They pick who they believe to be the best candidate for the job, and you can't make them choose based on anything else.

The examples used to support this stupid argument is the fact that Jim Caldwell, Winston Moss, and Ray Horton didn't get head coaching jobs.

1. Ray Horton might have a slight argument, but again.. I don't think anyone passed on him because he was black. He will get his shot in the next year or two, I feel.

2. Winston Moss has interviewed for coaching spots before and has interviewed VERY VERY poorly. Why would that change now?

3. Jim Caldwell is beyond awful. Period.

Agreed.

I actually think the Rooney Rule is more racist and degrading to African Americans than there would be without such a "rule".

Agreed.

I actually think the Rooney Rule is more racist and degrading to African Americans than there would be without such a "rule".

"Hey just giving you this 20 minute interview, we dont really plan on hiring you but we have to intewview a minority" You mean in this way?

Also in the subtle implication it may give. I realize this is not its intent, but it seems to say that a black guy can't get a coaching job unless we give him a bit of help.

he Bears just hired the first head coach in the history of the NFL that was Jewish. Not one word on NFL.com about that. Bet you didn't even know it.

Ahem

Levy_Marv_HS_180-220.jpg

Other than that, spot on.

I've commented on the condescension of the Rooney Rule towards blacks before, so I'll take a new angle this time. There is a universal fact, and in some ways a grave ultimatum, that a lot of people in this world seem to have trouble accepting.

All races are not equal.

Some races are smarter than others, some are faster than others, etc. Deal with it. Those of you who know me know I'm very much for racial equality, and that goes for the NFL too, but racial equality does not mean every race should be equally represented in head coaching and general manager positions. Any attempt to counter that fact is certain to fall back on itself, just as the Rooney Rule has.

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ahem

Levy_Marv_HS_180-220.jpg

Other than that, spot on.

\

Didn't even know that Marv was Jewish, lol.

I've commented on the condescension of the Rooney Rule towards blacks before, so I'll take a new angle this time. There is a universal fact, and in some ways a grave ultimatum, that a lot of people in this world seem to have trouble accepting.

All races are not equal.

Some races are smarter than others, some are faster than others, etc. Deal with it. Those of you who know me know I'm very much for racial equality, and that goes for the NFL too, but racial equality does not mean every race should be equally represented in head coaching and general manager positions. Any attempt to counter that fact is certain to fall back on itself, just as the Rooney Rule has.

a1ZduYW.gif

I thought the rule was broken the second in was implemented.

This comment on the article:

We need a Gandalf rule. Def not enough wizards coaching! They don't have much of a run defense but you shall not PASS!!"

Pure. Fucking. Win.

Is it really that hard to believe that there were no good minority candidates? This is just dumb. I get the Rooney rule and think it's great. However, to think that there needs to be a minority hired for a coaching job in the NFL at least 1 out of 7 head coaching jobs? That's dumb. I don't agree with that. You hire the best man. If they bring the best tools to the interview, they'll be hired.

When a team finds a black coach candidate that suits the requirements of their team and believe will win a lot of ball games for their club, they will get hired.

All races are not equal.

I agree that the Rooney Rule is dumb too but to say all races are not equal in is pretty irrelevant. In a general / broad sense as a whole (population), you may have some races that may come out on top in certain aspects, but the same can be said about any "person". You can easily find a guy of any race capable of filling in that role as well as the next guy. You can find a person of each race capable of doing anything as well or better than another race. Unless you have "entire" races square off against another race, THEN you can say races aren't equal. If not, it just comes down to finding the right person/people. Race is not a factor.

Edited by dutchff7

The examples used to support this stupid argument is the fact that Jim Caldwell, Winston Moss, and Ray Horton didn't get head coaching jobs.

1. Ray Horton might have a slight argument, but again.. I don't think anyone passed on him because he was black. He will get his shot in the next year or two, I feel.

2. Winston Moss has interviewed for coaching spots before and has interviewed VERY VERY poorly. Why would that change now?

3. Jim Caldwell is beyond awful. Period.

to me, this is the problem, there isn't much of a pipeline for black coaches, when there are only there black people thrown out as possible coaches (though to be fair Lovie Smith should be on that list, he was at least as deserving as Andy Reid to get another job quickly) with 8 coaching vacancies then I don't think you can really expect to get a good representation, I do find it odd tho that so many people on here are willing to dismiss the argument that there should be more black head coaches when such a huge portion of the players are black, which also makes the arguments for Asian or Mexican head coaches a little absurd IMO, how many Asians are currently playing in the NFL? I've never looked it up (not even sure there's a place to look it up) but I would venture a guess it's in the single digits if it's not zero, and while the number of Mexicans is higher, it's also not very high, but again, the issue really is the lack of a pipeline, I found an article from last year that said only 199 out of 610 coaches in the NFL are black, given the proportion of players, that number should definitely be higher, and in terms of coordinators (typical candidates for head coaching positions) the same article pointed out that only one offensive coordinator at that point (last January) was black (now it's two: Jim Caldwell and the Bills' Curtis Modkins) I couldn't find numbers on DCs, but the trend right now is definitely to hire offensive coaches

I definitely agree with the idea that every team will hire the most qualified person, the guy they think will do the best with their team, but that argument collapses when you look at the pipelines and realize that the system in place doesn't make it easy for a black coach to ascend the ranks

All that said, you can't tell teams who to hire, what you really need is a culture change, and it starts with hiring more black coordinators so they actually have a resume that's worth showing when they're brought in for a head coaching interview

Edited by oochymp

There are five black GMs in the NFL. Over the course of their tenures, they have collectively hired *zero* black coaches.

The problem is not racism.

About 1/8th of the people in America are black. Considering that, the number of black head coaches in the league should be around 4 at any given time if all things are equal.

You guys are all thinking wrong. The NFL desperately needs racial equality. There should be more black coaches than white coaches.

I also propose the Riggins Rule, making it a requirement for every NFL team to bring in and try out at least 1 white RB every off season.

Unfortunately, Favre, you are too late to the party. That rule is called the Peyton Hillis rule.

I don't understand why the NFL is suddenly in a hubbub over this. We have 5 out of 32 black GMs, and 3 out of 32 black head coaches, so we have 8 out of 64 black people in those two positions. As Razor pointed out, approximately 1 in 8 people in America are black, thus we have the exact ratio of blacks to other races operating in those two positions. Why does everyone say the Rooney Rule is broken? Are we saying it isn't fair until (one of) the minorities becomes over-represented?

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 2

About 1/8th of the people in America are black. Considering that, the number of black head coaches in the league should be around 4 at any given time if all things are equal.

but look at the league rather than the general population, after a little research it looks like 67% of NFL players are black, if that proportion is carried into the rest of the league then we should have about 21 black head coaches

again, I'm not saying the league should tell teams who they have to hire, but to act like there's no problem seems a bit off to me

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

Well, if you consider that, then where are the black people in any business structure? Lawyers, Corporations, Doctors and Scientists, all of these fields have a surprising dearth of black people. The reasons for that are sociological, not race related. Well not entirely anyway.

• Upvote 2

All races are not equal.

I'm no expert in genetics but I don't have to be to see the absurdity of this post.

• Upvote 2

Of course it is broke, it was completely retarded to start with.

but look at the league rather than the general population, after a little research it looks like 67% of NFL players are black, if that proportion is carried into the rest of the league then we should have about 21 black head coaches

again, I'm not saying the league should tell teams who they have to hire, but to act like there's no problem seems a bit off to me

There is no problem.

Are you seriously suggesting that a multi-billion dollar business doesn't hire someone they think is better than a white guy because of the color of his skin?

Why don't we make teams look at a white QB before they look at a black QB? Or a white RB before a black RB? 67% of people in the NFL are black, if your stat is correct, clearly there must be a problem going on, since only 1/8 of the people in America are black. Obviously, the white population is under-represented and we need to put forward incentives to make sure certain teams don't refuse to consider a guy because he's white.

Come on, man. We're never going to get past the racial divide if we keep making incentives for people based on the color of their skin.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1