Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Obama Proposes Minimum Wage Spike

"We know our economy is stronger when we reward an honest day’s work with honest wages. But today, a full-time worker making the minimum wage earns $14,500 a year. Even with the tax relief we’ve put in place, a family with two kids that earns the minimum wage still lives below the poverty line. That’s wrong. That’s why, since the last time this Congress raised the minimum wage, nineteen states have chosen to bump theirs even higher," Obama will say, according to prepared remarks.

"Tonight, let’s declare that in the wealthiest nation on Earth, no one who works full-time should have to live in poverty, and raise the federal minimum wage to $9.00 an hour. This single step would raise the incomes of millions of working families. It could mean the difference between groceries or the food bank; rent or eviction; scraping by or finally getting ahead. For businesses across the country, it would mean customers with more money in their pockets. In fact, working folks shouldn’t have to wait year after year for the minimum wage to go up while CEO pay has never been higher. So here’s an idea that Governor Romney and I actually agreed on last year: let’s tie the minimum wage to the cost of living, so that it finally becomes a wage you can live on."

Weekly Standard

Oh boy. I know Sean is a big MW advocate, but how do the rest of you fall?

This varies on the type of business obviously, but wouldn't this mean already failing businesses would have to put out even more money that they arguably can't afford to do?

It makes sense since the cost of living and everything else has gone up, but for some reason I just don't like progressively raising the minimum wage. I'm no economics expert by any means, though.

minimum wage here is 9.80 an hour... I say hurry up and stop having the people being poor as shit. 14.5k is not nearly enough to survive on.

It goes both ways. It won't really affect me, since my soon-to-be profession gets paid like crap anyway, but not as bad as minimum wage.

Everything is more expensive in the last couple years. Food, gas in your car, rent, everything. The current minimum wage definitely isn't enough to survive on but the effects this could have on already struggling small businesses are very real. It's incredible that in this country some people are born into money and a lot of them can work easy jobs with crazy money behind it or that politicians can earn as much as they earn when if anyone else would be fired. The working class always gets fucked though. We do all the labor, we fight the wars and in the end we get almost nothing. Now I realize that the poor have it much better in the US than everyone else but there are way too many people struggling in this country while others sit fat and happy. I think minimum wage is important and a part of workers rights. Hell, without it who knows how bad it would be. It could be like late 19th Century and early 20th century, but in an economy where small business is struggling so much it could hurt. I hope it doesn't but something has to be done. The working class needs SOMETHING.

Guest Phailadelphia

It mostly affects high school kids more than anyone else. And there's not much if any empirical evidence that higher minimum wage laws leads to fewer employees or less hours for those working at that wage so I don't really see an issue with it.

Unfortunately, it goes the other way too as numerous studies have found little to no connection between a higher minimum wage and a reduction in poverty rates -- which is exactly why they are being proposed in the first place.

Guest Phailadelphia

Truth. That's probably on the surface why it's being proposed, but the reality is it's a political winner despite it's consequences (or lack thereof).

This may help a little bit. But this just means prices of everything will go up, so may earn a few extra bucks a month that you normally wouldn't of. Also means business will have less workers and may even fold because they won't be able to afford this.

It mostly affects high school kids more than anyone else. And there's not much if any empirical evidence that higher minimum wage laws leads to fewer employees or less hours for those working at that wage so I don't really see an issue with it.

I think that's why he specifies raising full-time minimum wage, the high school kids are almost exclusively working part-time

I like the idea of a minimum wage that directly correlates to the COLA. It would not raise prices imo. If they did that means that in turn the minimum wage goes up as well which really does nothing for you as a business owners.

And as to the people who are sturggling with small business's. As much as I love the little mom and pop stores, if your business is going to go under because of a minimum wage spike then you obviously have a product that people can live without.

I am a minimum wage worker in the summer, and I oppose the shit out of this. I am a lifeguard, which is obviously a very important duty if anyone needs help. At the same time, the amount of work that the job requires does not match $9/hour and the fact that the little private company that employs me has to pay all of these college kids to guard at $9/hour is absurd. I am afraid for my job.

If full time minimum wage is raised to $9 while part time stays the same, no one will work more than 39 hours.

I am a minimum wage worker in the summer, and I oppose the shit out of this. I am a lifeguard, which is obviously a very important duty if anyone needs help. At the same time, the amount of work that the job requires does not match $9/hour and the fact that the little private company that employs me has to pay all of these college kids to guard at $9/hour is absurd. I am afraid for my job.

Yeah but at the same point in time there's demanding work that might not be a challenge of skill or intellect but it's just hard.

And where are you getting your information from? Since your not a business owner, I think your fundamental assumption doesn't have a lot of ground to stand on!

Edited by CARDINAL

minimum wage here is 9.80 an hour... I say hurry up and stop having the people being poor as shit. 14.5k is not nearly enough to survive on.

Canada also has a minimum wage system where it's done by each province, not by the federal government like in America (except for industries that are solely regulated by the federal government)

The reason why a lot of people may only make 14.5K a year is that they dropped out of high school or only have a high school education! So they have to also take some personal responsibility and try to improve their education level and skills to be able to get hired for a better paying job!

Canada also has a minimum wage system where it's done by each province, not by the federal government like in America (except for industries that are solely regulated by the federal government)

The reason why a lot of people may only make 14.5K a year is that they dropped out of high school or only have a high school education! So they have to also take some personal responsibility and try to improve their education level and skills to be able to get hired for a better paying job!

So if you didnt have the money to afford college you should not be able to have a job that allows you to live comfortably ?

tumblr_lnvhrjsWSh1qcr3i7.gif

And you are aware their are jobs out there that require college education that still pay shit right ? I have a guy that works for me that will likely clear 80 K this year and only has a High School diploma.

And you are aware their are jobs out there that require college education that still pay shit right ? I have a guy that works for me that will likely clear 80 K this year and only has a High School diploma.

Can I come work for you?

Yeah but at the same point in time there's demanding work that might not be a challenge of skill or intellect but it's just hard.

I understand that, and I wasn't even trying to come in here to make an argument. I just want to share my personal story and show that while the minimum wage might need to be higher for people who are trying to earn a living, there are low-skilled, teenage jobs who need to abide by this and that is threatening to put those businesses out of business.

you work in a nice state, federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour, but states are free to impose a higher minimum (and 18 states have) but most states haven't (in fact, four states have minimum wages lower then the federal number, but the federal law controls there)

you do bring up an interesting point though in terms of summer employment, and I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes another exception since those workers are primarily people looking for spending money, very few people are entirely relying on summer employment, though I do know people who entirely work seasonal jobs, which would be more difficult

My econ teacher has repeatedly shown us a supply and demand graph detailing what would happen if minimum wage went down. Essentially, the demand for labor (people who want to hire) goes down and the supply of labor (people looking to be hired) goes up. This isn't some bias that he can translate to a graph. It's literally just moving the price level on the Y-axis up and then moving the points from the equilibrium points. Is this not the case here?

I don't know what Cardinal is talking about, almost no jobs will hire you if you didn't finish HS. Also you can find quite a few jobs that require just a HS education that pay better than some jobs that require degrees. Most companies want someone with experience in the field over that degree anyways.

My econ teacher has repeatedly shown us a supply and demand graph detailing what would happen if minimum wage went down. Essentially, the demand for labor (people who want to hire) goes down and the supply of labor (people looking to be hired) goes up. This isn't some bias that he can translate to a graph. It's literally just moving the price level on the Y-axis up and then moving the points from the equilibrium points. Is this not the case here?

Why would the demand for labor go down if the minimum wage goes down? That doesn't make any sense.