Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Vikings sign Greg Jennings to five-year deal

Per Rotoworld.com:

Vikings agreed to terms with Greg Jennings on a five-year, $47.5 million contract, including $18 million guaranteed.

The $9.5 million annual average makes Jennings the NFL's seventh-highest paid wide receiver, behind Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe, Percy Harvin, and Vincent Jackson. Minnesota put the full-court press on Jennings Thursday night by bringing in coach Leslie Frazier and star RE Jared Allen to dinner. After trading Harvin, GM Rick Spielman badly needed to replace his production. Jennings, 29, can play all three receiver positions and finished 2012 on a roll after an injury-plagued regular season, with 25 catches for 280 yards and four TDs over Green Bay's final four games, including playoffs. The way Minnesota's receiver corps looks now, we'd expect Jennings and Jerome Simpson to play on the outside with Jarius Wright in the slot. Minnesota also has two first-round picks. Jennings' signing is a good get for Christian Ponder's development. Mar 15 - 7:16 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Edited by BLUE

Good pick up. We need a veteran WR to guide any rookies we pick up in the draft, and Jennings is still a solid WR.

• Upvote 1

Randall Cobb > Greg Jennings. Another player who will fall off the map with switching teams.

Randall Cobb > Greg Jennings. Another player who will fall off the map with switching teams.

lulz

If he can stay healthy, it will be a solid pick up. He is worth neither the money or the years they invested into him. He has ages incredibly poorly. He was never a 4.2 40 kind of guy, but he always played really fast. With the injuries and everything, it's robbed him of that alot. He NEEDS to stay healthy, and even IF that happens, the Vikes will get 2-3 good years left. Dunno how likely that is, but good for him he could swindle Minnedota. He is dead to me, but other than that... Good luck, but not really.

I also find it humorous he took a deal worth less than what we offered him during the season.

Also, this is interesting:

"I was looking for change. Green Bay, I gave them seven good years, they were seven great years for myself. I had a lot of success. We were able to win. It was great. At the same time, (the Packers have) a lot of young talent. The injury kind of hurt me last year and getting shuffled around a little bit. As a competitor, and as someone who wants to be on the field all the time and feels like he can still do it, I can definitely still do it. I can definitely still make plays and be as exciting as I was in my earlier years. And I'm not old. I'm 29. I’m not old Let me throw that out there. I am 29 years old.”

Edited by Favre4Ever

Welcome to the dork side Greg.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hopefully they structured in a way that they can cut him in 2-3 years if his production falls off due to age.

Well I'm not fussed that he has gone tbh would of been nice to kept him but our WR corps of Nelson, Jones and Cobb is more than beastly. Jones proved he can step up last season and Cobb has ridiculous potiental still to come. Though that said going to a NFC rival he is dead to me now, production wise he is not going to be anywhere near to what he was and good luck to having a shitty QB passing to you Greg.

Basically traded Jennings for Harvin and good picks. Solid move for them. If they can land someone like Tavon Austin in the draft they will be set.

I wish him the best of luck. I don't enjoy another one of our former players going to a rival again lol but hopefully he gets what he's looking for.

• Upvote 2

Basically traded Jennings for Harvin and good picks. Solid move for them. If they can land someone like Tavon Austin in the draft they will be set.

This. They picked up some nice picks and replaced Harvin with a solid player.

Jennings > Harvin. Even after that massive contract they gave him, Vikes still come out on top. That extra first rounder will be huge.

Good signing. Jennings if heathly can be a problem for defenses. Im betting they are going either corner or WR first round. Last time i saw mocks, they had them taking my boy Allen from CAL. If so they will have a solid offense next year. Pending if Ponder plays like he did most of this year. Allen and Jennings? Damn. Teams would have to respect the pass along with AP.

Man, so many teams are getting better, the league is certainly more even then i can remember ina long time.

The guys has never had more than 80 catches in a season... lol. Depending on how many other options the Vikings add to the WR Corps, I suppose it's possible. They very well could make him a vast majority of their offensive focus... Time will tell there, but I dunno how likely it is he puts up those numbers.

I think we should grab Tavon.

He's going to be the #1 target in an offense with no other legitimate options (outside of Rudolph) that relies on short/intermediate timing routes. He's gonna get a ton of targets. He can easily hit 90 is he stays healthy. Although over 1100 is probably a pipe dream.

He's going to be the #1 target in an offense with no other legitimate options (outside of Rudolph) that relies on short/intermediate timing routes. He's gonna get a ton of targets. He can easily hit 90 is he stays healthy. Although over 1100 is probably a pipe dream.

The yardage won't be a problem, I don't think. The catches will be. You really don't think they will look to draft a WR with any of their top picks? Greg will still undoubtedly be the #1 and will get the bulk of catches. Then Rudolph as you said.. Jarius Wright looked REALLY good, IMO, in his limited time on the field last year. If he can stay healthy, he needs his fair shake, and a high draft pick no matter who it is, should be getting a good look as well being that I really like the WR group this year. There may not be an AJ Green or Julio Jones, but the group is very solid, IMO.

If he gets 90 catches on the year, I might just ban myself for eternity. I just don't see it happening, even if he is healthy. Again, not impossible, he has the talent obviously. But if he is getting 90 touches, with other underrated options in that offense PLUS AP toting the rock... They are probably doing an injustice to their offense.

Jennings > Harvin. Even after that massive contract they gave him, Vikes still come out on top. That extra first rounder will be huge.

You can't really compare the two because Harvin isn't just a receiver he will be much more potent in our offense like i said though Vikings got great value.

Yeah; we shouldn't have to rely on Jennings to the point where he has to catch the ball 90 times a year. We should balance out our passing attack and then dish the ball to AP.

• Upvote 1

He's dead to me... But this is one of my all time greatest Packer memories (moments I have actually seen). The game verse Oakland after Brett's dad died was maybe the most magical behind the Super Bowl victory a couple of years ago. Then watching Brett break pretty much all the QB records in existence....

Then this. Still get goosebumps.

Play action from the 18. Want it all. Deep down the field... It's... HAULED IN... BY GREG JENNINGS... THE PACKERS WIN IN OVERTIME. UN-BE-LIEVABLE!!!!!

You could have gone down in history, Greg. You would have been loved and paraded as a legend. But instead of pulling a Donald Driver, you pulled a Javon Walker.

What a shame.

Edited by Favre4Ever

PHOENIX -- Greg Jennings received $17.8 million fully guaranteed on the five-year, $45 million contract he signed with the Minnesota Vikings last week.

According to a source with knowledge of the contract, Jennings received a $10 million signing bonus in addition to fully guaranteed base salaries of $2.9 million in 2013 and $4.9 million in 2014. His cap number is only $5 million in 2013 and $7 million in 2014 before the deal spikes.

Jennings' scheduled base salary is $8.9 million in 2015, '16 and '17, with a cap number of $11 million each of those seasons. He also has a $100,000 workout bonus in each year and escalators in 2014 through '17 that could push the total value even higher.

So, it's pay-as-you-go after the initial two-year, $18 million pact. The Vikings could cut Jennings at any time after that without owing him another dime, although they'd still have a $6 million cap hit to deal with because of the remaining signing bonus proration.

The relatively small cap hit in 2013 leaves the Vikings nearly $6 million under their adjusted salary cap.

Lmao. This is hilarious. Athletes who are disillusioned into thinking they have a big money contract. This is a two year deal... No matter how well he plays, is that $11 million cap number in ages 32,33, & 34 even remotely realistic?

In 2012, when Jennings was near the peak of his powers, a source said talks on a multiyear extension ended when he turned down $11 million per year from the Packers, which was far less than the $15 million that he told the team he was seeking.

Lulz. What a turd.

Wait so he actually wanted the Packers to pay him $15mil a year? On what basis??? I used to like Jennings, but this whole saga makes him seem just like another WR diva.

Definitely seems that way, which is really disappointing. He's either a bit crazy for thinking he could demand that much or just REALLY wanted to leave Green Bay. He actually talked to Bert about leaving and the repercussions and whatnot. :sigh: