Piggly Wiggly

MLB 2013 Regular Season thread

Cubs trade Alfonso Soriano to Yankees for a pitching prospect.

Tim Brown ‏@TBrownYahoo 1h

Source: Pujols has been told he's likely done for the season. Surgery possible, but undetermined.

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130728&content_id=55050238&notebook_id=55068698&vkey=notebook_phi&c_id=phi

Papelbon: Phillies need changes from top, down

DETROIT -- Jonathan Papelbon had only a couple minutes to talk Sunday morning at Comerica Park, but he said plenty, expressing the need for changes in the organization if things do not improve on the field.

Papelbon signed a four-year, $50 million contract in November 2011, but he has known mostly losing at this point in Philadelphia. The Phillies returned home after a 12-4 loss to the Tigers riding an eight-game losing streak and a season-high seven games under .500.

"I definitely didn't come here for this," he said.

Papelbon carries an influential presence in the Phillies' clubhouse as the team's closer, a nine-year veteran and World Series champion. Asked what he thought about the direction the organization is headed, he sighed.

"Oh, man," he said. "We could be here all day."

So then what about this team's ability to turn things around, if not this season, then next season?

"It's going to take, in my opinion, a lot," he said. "And in my opinion, I think it's going to have to be something very similar to what the Red Sox went through a couple years ago. From top to bottom."

Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr., declined comment.

The great irony behind this is that Papelbon's contract is one of the worst decisions Amaro has made, and one of the strongest reasons he needs to go.

Papelbon is one of the changes that needs to be done, dude has 5 blown saves already this year.

I'll get a quick post in since we are doing so well lately.

Nick Franklin, Kyle Seager, Brett Miller. These are three young names that are flourishing before our eyes. Mike Zunino (1st round pick from Florida) was beasting as well, and then he has to hit the DL for awhile.

But with Kendrys Morales and Raul Ibanez leading the veteran power surge, we definitely see some long overdue improvement. :yep:

Felix leads the A.L. in ERA

Holy shit Homer Bailey is 5-10. Proof that W/L record is dogshit.

• Upvote 1

We're in for some rough times ahead. Yadi hits the DL and our rotation is a who's who of prospects who aren't ready yet. :sigh:

The Pittsburgh Pirates are going to the playoffs.

Feels good, man.

*cues 30 game losing streak*

• Upvote 1

Holy shit Homer Bailey is 5-10. Proof that W/L record is dogshit.

Just think how bad his record would be if he played with a BAD team.

For the record I think Bailey is a very good pitcher (not great since he can be very inconsistent) and I also think that won/loss is over rated. But honestly what if Homer Bailey was playing with the Marlins? Ouch.

Ok ready for a little game here. Name who you think is the most underrated pitcher in baseball right now. I wanna see if the guy who I think is, is mentioned. And no my pick is not Jose Fernandez.

Got it?

GO.

Derek Holland

Derek Holland, Francisco Liriano, Justin Masterson, Patrick Corbin are all very underrated this year.

• Upvote 1

My guy hasn't been mentioned yet. :nope:

I can think of several pitchers who have had great seasons that have sorta went under the radar of the publicity machines:

Mike Minor, Jeff Locke, Patrick Corbin, Mike Leake, Hishasi Iwakuma and Julio Teheran have all pitched lights out. None of these pitchers play in the big "media centers" either. I can't see any player that plays in Boston, New York, Chicago, California, or even Texas (espn has it's own Dallas special section) being as "under rated". Shelby Miller, Matt Harvey, Max Scherzer, and Jose Fernandez have all received a ton of publicity this season already for their good work. Just my .02 on the subject.

Edited by southgadawg

The Pittsburgh Pirates are going to the playoffs.

Feels good, man.

Say that today and McCutcheon gets hurt tomorrow

Well I'm just going to reveal who I think has been underrated and hasn't been talked about much from what I've seen/heard.

Maybe my favorite southpaw

Madison Bumgarner

Bay the pitcher you named is certainly a very good pitcher. I just wasn't thinking of him as under rated though since he was highly touted before he ever even pitched in the majors and has since performed well on the national stage in the postseason. (which I think is the reason no one has mentioned him--no one considers him under rated). His team isn't doing great this season but he is having a fine year on a team that has failed to meet expectations.

Cardinals have scored 44 runs over the last 4 games. Finally out of that nasty slump. Time to bring it.

About to have 3 sweeps in a row..team is in fire. Offense has been explosive and Chris Johnson and Freddie Freeman have been amazing. NL East is about to turn into a runaway train...if it hasn't already.

Cubs are calling up a new pitcher to the bigs. He throws heat. High, stinky cheese.

1098447_497711973643839_759001000_n.jpg