Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phailadelphia

Westboro will protest 2 NBA games

Don't worry I will. It is beyond reason how you can support something like that. "Oh, it is ok as long s they arent at the actual ceremony. It is the most trying time in that families life burying their child,only to have their child's honor, memory, and morals pissed on by douchebags, even though they were just trying to do something honorable. They can still make sure the family can hear them, but oh well, fuck'em"

That is about the gist of it no ? If that is the case then yes you are disgusting.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

Are they assholes? Yes.

Should being an asshole be a crime? No.

Simple

• Upvote 1

leaving.gif

I'd rather just take a blunt object and go swinging at them. Regulating them just doesn't go far enough. :nonono:

Oh shit. A gif. You got me.

If they were protesting against the war, would it be ok? If they were advertising for a local store would it be ok? If thats the case, then you're saying that loud noise around the funeral isn't the problem, the message is. I don't want the government deciding which political and religious views are allowed to be stated on public property.

For that matter, how far away from the funeral should they have to be? In the Supreme Court case they were 1000 feet away and could not be seen or heard from the funeral. Should they have to be a mile? Two miles? Should the entire town be a protest-free zone? Obviously not, or else you might as well make protesting illegal in the US.

Basically, they already have to be a reasonable distance from the funeral, so for the government to do anything would be an infringement of rights. Lots of governments allow freedom of speech for easy messages. What makes ours good is that it allows freedom of speech for scummy controversial ones.

• Upvote 1

I'd rather just take a blunt object and go swinging at them. Regulating them just doesn't go far enough. :nonono:

These people disgust me beyond belief. I'd describe what I'd like to do to them, but I'll refrain from doing so.

Edited by BigBen07

It's people like the Westboro fucktards that make me wish certain freedoms may be taken away on a whim. But that would make us no better than them. I take satisfaction in knowing one of two things will happen: they die and nothing happens, or they all burn in hell (whatever version that may be) for being the cherry-picking hypocrites they are. Either way, justice is served.

Edited by Phins4life

I have often said that the bill of rights should not apply to everyone. The second does not, why should the first ? People should not be able to do this legally, just shows once again how fucked up our system is when they are legally allowed to do this.

Absolutely the dumbest thing I've seen you say. Who makes the call on who can keep their rights? You CAN see how people could be jailed for basically whatever the fuck that person decides right? Did you think this out at ALL before you typed it? My god...

Absolutely the dumbest thing I've seen you say. Who makes the call on who can keep their rights? You CAN see how people could be jailed for basically whatever the fuck that person decides right? Did you think this out at ALL before you typed it? My god...

If these people were thrown in jail, they get off easy in my book as far as what should happen to them. And if that is the dumbest thing you have seen me say than apparently I am uncommonly intelligent.

I think it would be far easier for every town they go to to just say no, tie it up in litigation until the funeral is over and let it be. I mean that would be the far easier way to do it, but hey jail works too if you prefer that.

If there is a God, he or she doesn't hate anybody.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Oh? I beg to differ.

Or when me and Phail agree that certain rights do not belong to some people.

Ha the voice of reason. That implies there is reason in supporting the westboro biggotry cocksuckers (WBC). That is not true.

There are certain rights that are not enumerated in the constitution that grieving families are entitled to as guaranteed by the 9th amendment and several rulings have upheld this and it is a widely held belief by constitutional scholars.

What it means is that your right of freedom of speech does not nullify someone else's rights that are not enumerated in the constitution. The 9th amendment also says something extremely important which is: the Ninth Amendment "specifically roots the Constitution in a natural rights tradition that says we are born with more rights than any constitution could ever list or specify."

So I would say they are infringing the rights of the families. But as blots and Sean pointed out, it does not really matter what those family's rights are because there is an enumerated right that gets whipped out like a dick every time someone decides they want to be a douche bag and get away with. Your first amendment right is not really the end all be all if it infringes on other rights. Which you could argue they are doing.

To not see not only the constitutional injustice but the injustice of being a decent human being is going on here makes you a coward who has not actually read the constitution in detail and just like to waive your 1st amendment right around like a gun saying," saying you cant touch me !!!" Well the fact is that you can, but we live in a society where doing the right thing is bypassed in lieu of the easy route.

It would be too hard to fight these douchebags tooth and nail and come up with a sound argument on why the 9th amendment should trump their first amendment right when being used to spread a message of hate on a personal level instead of one versus and idea. So yeah lets just give in. I cant wait to see these people in hell.

Guest Phailadelphia

I'd like to hear a convincing argument about why Westboro's speech is valuable and why we shouldn't censor it.

I'd like to hear a convincing argument about why Westboro's speech is valuable and why we shouldn't censor it.

Especially since we censor a lot of other things. Howard Stern, Safe Harbor laws, Radio and so on and so forth. What makes these guys so special.

Can't wait to one of these fuckers dies, everyone in America should protest it.

or just respectfully acknowledge that a human life has been extinguished

I have often said that the bill of rights should not apply to everyone. The second does not, why should the first ? People should not be able to do this legally, just shows once again how fucked up our system is when they are legally allowed to do this.

it typically takes something pretty high, like a felony conviction or directly applicable mental illness, or a very strong public interest to limit your second amendment rights, no second amendment restriction I know of really compares to the way you're suggesting restricting the First Amendment

The best way to deal with the WBC is to completely ignore them. As soon as they jump, everyone moves. Media coverage and outrage is exactly what they want. It's like the forum troll that everyone keeps feeding.

best post in this thread by far, they're just doing this shit for attention and they'll continue to do it as long as they get that attention

political and religious speech has always been considered among the highest value of speech, and Westboro's protests are arguably both, as repulsive as most people agree that they they are and as much of a perversion of Christian theology as many agree that they represent

• Upvote 1

I fucking hate this ideal. If someone did not garner my respect in life, they should not in death, either.

I fucking hate this ideal. If someone did not garner my respect in life, they should not in death, either.

Absolutely. Especially if they themselves made their living off of NOT respecting the fact a life has been distinguished.

I hope their funerals turn into a circus to the magnitude of which we have never seen. I hope that family weeps in embarrassment and humiliation.

Guest Phailadelphia

political and religious speech has always been considered among the highest value of speech, and Westboro's protests are arguably both, as repulsive as most people agree that they they are and as much of a perversion of Christian theology as many agree that they represent

It's not either of those things though, it just pretends to be. All they're doing is trolling.

Calling them human is a stretch. I have more respect for ants rights to live than these peoples.

I found it quite funny that these idiots came to Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago to "protest" some stupid thing (can't recall what). They were in the area for 7 days and only protested on the last full day they were there....hmmm...I wonder what they were doing the other 6 days at the beach during the summer...