Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Kerry Rhodes talking to teams

Kerry Rhodes in 'ongoing discussions' with four teams

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217415/article/kerry-rhodes-in-ongoing-discussions-with-four-teams

Kerry Rhodes showed enough with the Arizona Cardinals last season to earn a roster spot with an NFL team in 2013.

Rhodes doesn't have a job right now, but the 30-year-old safety says that might soon change.

Free-agent tracker

NFL free agency is underway. Follow all of the latest player rumors and signings in our free-agent tracker. More...

"It's in the works," Rhodes recently told AL.com at a charity event in Birmingham, Ala. "I can't talk about it in depth, but there's a good four teams that I'm looking at. There are ongoing discussions. I'm trying to see which one will be the best fit for me. You will see me, though."

Rhodes wouldn't name names, but he said an announcement might come in about one week.

"I don't want to sway the negotiations at all," Rhodes said. "That would be the ideal. Most situations aren't ideal any way. You have to adapt to it and move on."

Rhodes started 15 games for the Cardinals last season, finishing with four interceptions, two forced fumbles and a sack. ProFootballFocus.com ranked him as the league's No. 4 safety in 2012. He has the ability to start for teams and represents a likely bargain signing this late in the game.

Kerry Rhodes has always been a quality safety and had a great year this past season. I've been surprised that no team has picked him up yet. Apparently, there has been a circulation of rumors that he is gay after some blogging videos. The Basketball player Jason Collins coming out surprised the world earlier this year. This could very well be a movement be gay athletes or this could very well just be rumors. Here's a video and people can make the situation out for themselves.

You would think with how well he played last year that a team would have picked him up by now. Does anyone think organizations are weary of picking up gay players (assuming he may be)? There have been NFL players that have responded positively to the situation and other players like Mike Wallace and Culliver who have responded negatively. Does anyone think a gay player would disrupt the vibe in a locker room? Would anyone want their team to sign a gay player knowing it may potentially be a distraction? (really the immature teams/players) What is everyone's thoughts on this matter?

Kerry Rhodes is an excellent football player and he'll earn a starting roster spot on nearly every team in the league. That's all that should matter, and he should be signed. If anyone would not sign him because they're afraid he may be a homosexual have to do some serious soul searching, and should probably be fired for not helping their team win. If it was an attitude problem, or something detrimental to the team like an Aaron Hernandez thing, it'd be fine to not bother looking, but he's a really good safety with a lot to offer.

This is a distraction that can be fixed with good coaching. And with a good coach, this wouldn't be a distraction in the first place.

• Upvote 2

My theory is that it's caused some strife (or at least awkwardness) in past lockerrooms and that GM's are leary of bringing him in for that reason. But it looks like someone will end up bringing him in and that should be the end of it. I understand people having their opinions about the issue and lifestyle. I have my own. But honestly, would this play in any other job market in the U.S.? Even if you disagree on some moral or religious grounds, would you really be against that type of person having a job which they are qualified for? Makes no sense to me.

I disagree. I think Kerry Rhodes is not the same player he use to be and teams know this.

According to PFF, Rhodes was the 4th best safety in the NFL last year. Opposing QBs had a 64.5 passer rating when they threw at his coverage area. I know statistics don't tell the whole story, but based off these numbers, it appears that Rhodes is going to be a fantastic pickup for whoever signs him.

I remember a specific play that Kerry Rhodes was responsible for.

And oh yeah, lol at Vick's awareness.

Edited by dutchff7

I remember a specific play that Kerry Rhodes was responsible for.

And oh yeah, lol at Vick's awareness.

Goddamn that was an awesome hit. I remember watching that play and holding my own ribs.

But you nailed it...Rhodes wasn't even blitzing the blind side...how the fuck do you not read that blitz pre-snap? He never even looked at him.

Goddamn that was an awesome hit. I remember watching that play and holding my own ribs.

But you nailed it...Rhodes wasn't even blitzing the blind side...how the fuck do you not read that blitz pre-snap? He never even looked at him.

Dude, I was saying the same shit. How the fuck do you not see that presnap or notice him after the ball was snapped... That HAD to be within his peripherals...

I’m VERY surprised he’s still a free agent, he has always been a solid quality safety IMO. Somebody will sign him yet. He's got a few years left in him yet, plus the guy has a nose for the ball, and he’s good for at least 4-5 picks a year. Hell I wouldn't mind the Jets picking him back up again.

I think it's less about the fact of someone not wanting a homosexual player on their team, and more that teams would want to avoid the inevitable media circus that would come hand in hand with having him on their team (if the claims are in fact true).

Ranga I can take nothing you say seriously because of your avatar. Too distracting. :p

This is getting fucking shameful already.

Well if he had an offer and did not take it I wonder what the story is.

That said you have to be a pretty petty and pathetic person to not give a capable safety a job because he is gay. That says waaaaaay more about the GM than it does Rhodes.

The Eagles need Kerry Rhodes man. Bring his rainbow shitting ass to Philly please.. :yep:

At some point all this talking needs to turn to playing. I hope we see Rhodes on a football team before the years end. We all know how capable of being a solid starting safety he is.