BLUE

Officials warn players: Spinning the ball can result in a penalty

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 5, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT

It’s become commonplace in the NFL for players who make a big play to spin the ball on the ground in celebration. But this year, players are being warned that there’s a fine line between celebrating and taunting — and if they cross that line, it’s a 15-yard penalty.

Reports today from members of the media at Vikings camp and Panthers camp indicate that referees working training camps are warning players that they’ll be penalized if they taunt opponents by spinning the ball.

This is not a new rule: The 2012 official playing rules listed examples of prohibited acts that will result in unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, saying, “These acts include but are not limited to: sack dances; home run swing; incredible hulk; spiking the ball; throwing or shoving the ball; pointing; pointing the ball; verbal taunting; military salute; standing over an opponent (prolonged and with provocation; or dancing.”

But the fact that officials at two different training camps made a specific point of mentioning spinning the ball suggests that officials will be stricter about enforcing that rule this year than they were last year.

One player, Panthers receiver Steve Smith, even said he’s working on ways to continue his ball-spinning celebrations while staying within the rules. Smith, and every other NFL player, would be wise to err on the side of caution. Players may enjoy spinning the ball to celebrate, but no celebration is worth 15 yards.

Source: ProFootballTalk

2pt0zk0.jpg

Edited by BLUE
Typo

Are you fucking serious... The league is getting more pussified every year. Spinning the ball is not that serious.

LOL

I sometimes wonder why I even bother but I still love my team and the entertainment. :)

But, these rules are getting ridiculous as time goes on. :yep:

So we are basically going to see them play favorites this year in terms of celebrations? It's up to the refs to decide whether or not it's "crossing the line" to spin the ball? LOL

Don't you think that the people who are deciding this stuff must feel like total douche canoes as they deliberate? I mean, I would feel like an idiot if I was spending my time trying to decide what the punishment should be for spinning that ball after a TD.

Thank God. I was thinking about ending my NFL fanhood because of these spun balls.

• Upvote 2

Some of these things you can stop.. The obvious taunting kind of things, and I would add ball spins to that as well -- and I really don't care. But there is a fine line that must be respected. Guys get AMPED UP during games and sometimes after a big sack, hit, or TD, they will just let it all go and do something out of the blue... Those kind of emotional, adrenaline-filled moments can't be tempered or eliminated without drastically changing the game. As long as those types of things aren't flagged, I will be fine.

I'm hoping this is being a little overexaggerated and really we won't see any of this nonsense being called. I don't get why the NFL would even feel the need to address stuff like this.

• Upvote 1

Spinning those balls really extends the game!

I've always hated no taunting rules, I can entirely understand restricting taunting at youth levels and even up to college, where the focus is on teaching sportsmanship, but these guys are all professional athletes, if they can't take a little taunting then they're in the wrong profession, if you think somebody is taking things a little too far, make them pay for it the next time you're on the field

• Upvote 1

This is not a new rule: The 2012 official playing rules listed examples of prohibited acts that will result in unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, saying, “These acts include but are not limited to: sack dances; home run swing; incredible hulk; spiking the ball; throwing or shoving the ball; pointing; pointing the ball; verbal taunting; military salute; standing over an opponent (prolonged and with provocation; or dancing.”

Is this bit for real? Weren't people doing all of these last season?

Yeah I doubt this becomes heavily enforced, but if they end up cracking down on the sack dances I don't know how I'll go on in life.

It's getting ridiculous how theyre cracking down on all of this. First there was banning end zone celebrations way back in 06 and it was basically all down hill from there...

[quote

]@NFLprguy 7 Aug to clear up bad info re: td celebrations like military salute/spinning ball: only flagged if player does it directly @ opponent

Well, for those who don't support this warning from officials, always take comfort in the likelihood they will not call it in the Super Bowl!

Spinning those balls really extends the game!

That joke is based in truth. Refs should just grab the ball anyways and do their thing instead of throwing the flag IMO. But it does delay substitution protocol from time to time, usually disadvantageous for the offending team but it is a tiny factor.

I still think the refs can and should just grab the ball and expediate the process as quickly as possible, if the ref is interfered with no one would argue with a penalty, or more.

I think its hilarious to think of the meanings of the words penalty and celebration though. If this is the road they want to go down, do it right. You can set up a rule of guidelines based on intention, not doing the hulk. What's so bad about them? Delay of game? Profane gestures? Singling someone out? Group celebrating? That last one makes me laugh, but my point is they're handling it wrong, celebrations should be celebrated. Set a list of parameters and fine the players (it all goes to charity and is thus tax deductable FYI) upon review. Then set rules with in game implications based off of intent.

Edited by the Lions fan

(it all goes to charity and is thus tax deductable FYI)

is it really tax deductible? I know it goes to charity, but I figured because of the fact that it went through the league (rather than directly from the player) they wouldn't be tax deductible, I could be wrong tho, I've never looked into it

anyway, I agree with your commentary and have said for a while that celebrations should just fall under the delay of game rule, go ahead and start the play clock as soon as a play ends (maybe even reduce it to 25-30 seconds after a TD) then if you can't get the next snap off because of a celebration then you're hit with a delay of game penalty

I still think the refs can and should just grab the ball and expediate the process as quickly as possible, if the ref is interfered with no one would argue with a penalty, or more.

What I don't understand, is why they feel the need to have that particular ball for the next play. I mean they stand there to mark the spot and contort their bodies to get the ball to place it. Or to take the ball to mark the next LOS. We've all seen the official lose their mark trying to twist for a ball that is even kindly walked up to them.

Why not just have someone ready to give a new ball to the line judge away from the play. That way the referee always knows where to get the new ball and the official that spots the ball isn't trying to both mark a spot and collect the ball. It just seems very very unstreamlined which will increasingly hinder teams' efforts to run a hurry up/no huddle offense going forward.

I'm pretty sure you could get 4 dudes on a very modest pay to basically be ball officials responsible for retrieving balls and for getting balls in to the referee. One thing that soccer does well, is the instantaneous availability of a new ball when it goes out of play. Football could easily do that.

Its not often the same ball. But never the less that ball needs to be removed or else someone could exploit the situation.

Football does use multiple footballs, I used to know the exact number. My brains telling me 20 but I don't think its right, google it. :)