Sign in to follow this  
housemd

Update: Bucs release Josh Freeman

The Bucs have benched Josh Freeman and named Mike Glennon their starter.

The Josh Freeman era in Tampa ends with a thud. Operating in the final year of his contract, Freeman steered the Bucs to an 0-3 start by ranking 33rd in completion percentage (45.7 percent), 30th in passing yards (571) and 33rd in passer rating (59.3). Throw in a 2:3 TD-to-INT ratio, and coach Greg Schiano wasn't left with much of a choice. Unless Glennon gets hurt, Freeman has likely started his last game in a Bucs uniform. The No. 17 overall pick in the 2009 draft never took the Bucs to the playoffs, finishing with a 24-35 record as a starter. Tampa could dangle Freeman on the trade market.

Edited by housemd

They can't start Freeman if Glennon gets hurt, IMO. You can't or shouldn't go back on this. He needs to get out of town as soon as possible for everyone's sake.

They can't start Freeman if Glennon gets hurt, IMO. You can't or shouldn't go back on this. He needs to get out of town as soon as possible for everyone's sake.

I hope you mean Freeman and Schiano? Freeman has regressed pretty much every year and still looks lost on the field. He isn't showing any signs of improvement and tbh he isn't looking like he wants to. Schiano looks ridiculously out of his depth at the NFL level. He can't adjust to the here and now in game, also the way he is being behind the scenes is not helping any of his players get out of this horrible start they have had.

Schiano will be one and done and Freeman driven out of Tampa, right now though it looks like Raheem wasn't the problem.

Well ya... I am not much a Schiano fan either, but I haven't heard plans to let him go just yet. They will probably wait for that, I assume. I am just saying if it happens that Glennon gets hurt, he (or whoever is making the decisions at the time) cannot go back to Freeman. That'd just cause way too much drama and unneeded divide -- although maybe it can't divide any further than it already has.

Like I said in the gamethread, Freeman is not the solution for the Bucs so I am not too surprised by this.

If it were up to me though, I would start Freeman the rest of the way. I don't want Glennon starting until Schiano and Sully are gone. I am worried that these clowns ruin Glennon in not even a season with the garbage offense we're running. Wish we could go into next year with a good competition between and Glennon and whoever we draft.

As soon as Schiano pulled that blitzing on victory formation bullshit, I knew he wouldn't last in an NFL locker room. There are unwritten rules you don't fuck with.

And how in the fuck do you regress so badly? What could Freeman possibly have done to go from elite potential to potentially being out of the league, and soon?

Like I said in the gamethread, Freeman is not the solution for the Bucs so I am not too surprised by this.

If it were up to me though, I would start Freeman the rest of the way. I don't want Glennon starting until Schiano and Sully are gone. I am worried that these clowns ruin Glennon in not even a season with the garbage offense we're running. Wish we could go into next year with a good competition between and Glennon and whoever we draft.

It's good for Glennon to get starting experience sooner then later if Freeman isn't going to be there. Not to mention building chemistry with his teammates on offense.

It's good for Glennon to get starting experience sooner then later if Freeman isn't going to be there. Not to mention building chemistry with his teammates on offense.

I would usually agree with you, but I don't want Glennon playing in this system. It's absolute dogshit and not many QB's are going to succeed in it. And I'm not the only one who thinks this:

@SI_DougFarrar: Not surprised by Freeman benching, but if Schiano thinks Glennon will survive against NFL defenses with TB's route concepts, he's insane.

@NFLosophy: If the scheme doesn't change and adapt, the QB really doesn't matter.

As soon as Schiano pulled that blitzing on victory formation bullshit, I knew he wouldn't last in an NFL locker room. There are unwritten rules you don't fuck with.

And how in the fuck do you regress so badly? What could Freeman possibly have done to go from elite potential to potentially being out of the league, and soon?

Coaching.

Schiano and Sully are too stubborn to switch up their systems so players aren't playing to their best abilities. Let's look at our offense for example. We are trying to make Freeman a pocket passer when he clearly isn't that good of one. Mike Williams said earlier in the year that there are only 3 routes he needs to remember and almost all the pass plays call for options where the receiver and QB needs to be on the same page. Most passing plays only have 3 receivers going out and there is rarely any guys going short so we constantly are throwing jump balls and low completion percentage passes. It also doesn't help that the Bucs have no slot WR or TE and everyone has been dropping passes.

They should be calling more rollouts, play actions and plays that have him moving outside the pocket. This is where Freeman is at his best.

Defenses figure out your strengths and make you play with your weaknesses, Freeman never adapted to that.

Us Doug Martin owners are still fucked.

It had to happen. Freeman was bombing hard and it obviously was going nowhere. Time to see if we lucked out on Glennon, and if not, we'll probably be picking high enough to get a QB.

Also a lot of collaborating rumors about Freeman being a partier who just didn't give a fuck. Normally I'd disregard it, but there's A LOT, all saying close to the same thing. Most saying he came in a choir boy type but got turned out by the Tampa party scene.

Also a lot of collaborating rumors about Freeman being a partier who just didn't give a fuck. Normally I'd disregard it, but there's A LOT, all saying close to the same thing. Most saying he came in a choir boy type but got turned out by the Tampa party scene.

I heard he was the same way in college too :shrug:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported at halftime of Thursday night's 49ers-Rams game that Josh Freeman had lost the Buccaneers' locker room before his post-Week 3 benching.

Per RapSheet, Bucs players were "not upset" with Freeman's benching, and already believe third-round rookie Mike Glennon is "a better leader." NFL Net's Mike Silver added that Freeman "has no trade value," despite the fact he wants out of Tampa Bay and the Bucs would "love" to deal him. The NFL's trade deadline is October 29. We remain highly skeptical any team would give up anything for Freeman because of his hefty, guaranteed base salary.

So, with Freeman unlikely to see another snap in a Bucs uniform...his final career numbers in Tampa Bay:
13,534 yards, 80 TDs, 66 INTs, 58.2% completion percentage. Also add in 922 rushing yards with 4 TDs.

Those numbers don't look horrible, but he ultimately didn't do enough and regressed to a pathetic level at the end.

The main killer, a 24-35 record in 59 career starts. Most of those wins came against poor teams too, almost never did we pull off an upset against a good team with Freeman. We beat the Saints a few times, but that is about it.

How do we know Schiano and Sullivan didn't dumb down the routes to make it easy on mentally challenged Freeman? He is inaccurate and the only thing he does well is throw jump balls. Him trying to complete a slant route is pick city for the opposing teams.

How do we know Schiano and Sullivan didn't dumb down the routes to make it easy on mentally challenged Freeman? He is inaccurate and the only thing he does well is throw jump balls. Him trying to complete a slant route is pick city for the opposing teams.

That's one hell of an assumption to make... Then again, you've also accused him of being a cokehead, an alcoholic and a homosexual, so I shouldn't be too surprised.

That's one hell of an assumption to make... Then again, you've also accused him of being a cokehead, an alcoholic and a homosexual, so I shouldn't be too surprised.

I'm not the only one making those assumptions. Even those "experts" in the media have been spreading the rumor of him being an alcoholic. The homosexual thing is pretty obvious and I could careless. No straight guy is texting guys half naked pictures of himself.

Per Rotoworld.com:

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reported Sunday that Josh Freeman's relationship with the Bucs is "irreparable," and Freeman wants his release if Tampa Bay can't find a trade partner.
Freeman told CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora he's open to restructuring his contract if traded; his goal is simply to get the heck out of Tampa as soon as possible. Although Freeman is a 25-year-old quarterback with some past success, his trade value is nill because his contract is guaranteed and he has off-field problems, according to virtually every reporter in the nation. The Bucs will likely end up rostering Freeman for the remainder of the season as a third-stringer behind Mike Glennon and Dan Orlovsky. Sep 29 - 12:31 PM

I agree with Terry Bradshaw's take. Instead of trying to work harder and improve to get his job back or prove he can be better, he is pouting and trying to get out of town. His work ethic really killed his career here and may just end up killing his entire NFL career.

That isn't to say he was the main reason for all of our problems, but clearly his attitude stinks and we had to move on.

Schiano is a scumbag liar. If Glazers keep this guy past this year, they will clueless and should sell the team.