Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Is Jay Cutler Worth Mega-Extension?

Jay Cutler's time in Chicago has been the epitome of a roller coaster ride. There have been ups... There have been downs... and more downs. He has seen some improvement under Trestman's watch, but has been injury prone throughout the year and has been handily outplayed by backup Josh McCown.

2013 marks the last year Cutler is under contract, and will be hitting the open market barring, what is undoubtedly, the huge contract he will try holding out for. The question is... Jay Cutler is your QB, the market for QBs has been rising exponentially. Is Jay Cutler your guy? Do you hand him the mega-Flacco extension or do you let him walk and move on?

I already said before he will be gone in the offseason trestman wants a hand picked guy not a carry over from the old coaching staff. Always supply and demand with qbs some needy qb team will go all over him.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

Does he deserve that deal elsewhere, though? Is Jay Cutler worth $100+ million to a football team?

No he is not a top ten Qb and should NOT get paid like one. One playoff appearance in six years that says it all.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

I'll also add If I was GM. id let him walk. Unless he is willing to comeback on a discount but I don't think he would. He should, the team is built for him. We always have had Forte than they got his old buddy B marsh and reunited him drafted another big physical wide out in Jeffery. Revamped the O line.

Absolutely not. Not consistent, can't stay healthy, always complains, and chokes in clutch situations. Keep McCown for cheap, then work on getting some oline help

Easy question, I let him walk. He's hurt every year and honestly he's just not that good.

Also,if I'm a team looking for a QB I definitely stay far away from Cutler.

Edited by seanbrock

I still would attest that Cutler has THE most talented arm in the NFL, he just doesn't have the brain attached to go with it. I thought this year he would finally get the o-line and the opportunity to show out. He did get the o-line, but it was still basically the same old shit with Cutler. Flashes, great plays, but riddled with inconsistency. He gets hurried and hit like the second-least in the NFL, and he's hurt... again.... and again. He can't stay healthy.

I just don't see any way you can give him a top-tier QB kinda contract. Hopefully his departure isn't going to be that detrimental to Brandon Marshall.

• Upvote 1

I still would attest that Cutler has THE most talented arm in the NFL, he just doesn't have the brain attached to go with it. I thought this year he would finally get the o-line and the opportunity to show out. He did get the o-line, but it was still basically the same old shit with Cutler. Flashes, great plays, but riddled with inconsistency. He gets hurried and hit like the second-least in the NFL, and he's hurt... again.... and again. He can't stay healthy.

I just don't see any way you can give him a top-tier QB kinda contract. Hopefully his departure isn't going to be that detrimental to Brandon Marshall.

Highly doubt it will. What CB matches up with a 6'4" 230 lb WR. He'll be fine no matter who is throwing him the ball. He was pretty damn good in Miami without Cutler.

seanbrock, on 16 Nov 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

theMileHighGuy, on 16 Nov 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

Highly doubt it will. What CB matches up with a 6'4" 230 lb WR. He'll be fine no matter who is throwing him the ball. He was pretty damn good in Miami without Cutler.

I mostly meant psychologically.

I get back to my comment in the Flacco-bashing thread, the price of serviceable QBs went up with Flacco's deal, so the question isn't "is Cutler an elite QB who deserves to get paid mega-bucks" but "is Cutler a serviceable QB who we need to pay mega-bucks" fortunately to me the answer is the same, he's just too inconsistent to rely on and he's not a young QB anymore, he'll be 31 by next season, now if I'm in position to draft a young QB but want to ease him in, I'd sign Cutler to a short term deal as a stop-gap

here's a thought tho, anyone else thinks he might land in St. Louis? I for one have not been impressed with Bradford and we know Fisher was high on him in the '06 draft, sure that was seven years ago, but Fisher may still think he can work with Cutler

Cutler would do more with those weapons than Bradford has. Bradford is fundamentally a pussy.

Rams seem really focused on Bradford though. Maybe that's all a sham to cover their tracks leading up to the 2014 draft though?

Jay Cutler is bound to return to Denver after Peyton retires this offseason.

Yeah but he's the best QB in Bears franchise history. Before Cutler the gameplan was to roll with a whole bullpen of below average quarterbacks. At least this way they know they have something average to depend upon :yao:

• Downvote 2

I don't think they let him walk without a replacement already on the roster. It's a deep QB class so I'd look at tagging Cutler and drafting an understudy.

Why can't Josh McCown be the stop-gap? He's playing better, will come cheaper, and is a better teammate.

Why can't Josh McCown be the stop-gap? He's playing better, will come cheaper, and is a better teammate.

McCown's also a free agent after this year, not that that means he's not a better/cheaper option and would likely be a solid stop-gap, just thought it was worth pointing out

I wouldn't have a problem walking away from Cutler. They're never gonna win a Super Bowl with him so I'd just go with McCown and then draft someone next year. Have Mccown and the rookie be the QBs next year.

Precisely. Better play for less money? #winning. I suppose it's feasible the Bears keep neither, but I think they would be more comfortable bringing one of these guys back. I don't think you really send the right message by tagging Cutler, and with his age I doubt he is going to look for a 1 or 2 year deal.

Josh McCown already knows this system, is a career backup getting the chance to start which I am sure is humbling him... And he's already in his mid-thirties. How much more time does he really have anyway? On top of that, everything I see says he is great in the locker room and embraces younger players. Perfect.

If I am the Bears, I bring back Josh.. Draft somebody in 2014... and hope the rookie enjoys his time on the bench.

IDT they'll give him a lucrative deal. But they will at least tag him if nothing else. You'll always get the occasional bonehead plays with him, but this year he showed that with talent he's at least a borderline top 10 QB most of the time.

Not worth 100 mill though. :nope:

Do they tag him to hopefully work out a long term deal. use as a stop gap, or so they can trade him?

The Bears will let Cutler walk, where he will sign with a high bidder... The Arizona Cardinals!

In Arizona, Cutler will be able to "Fuck it, go deep!" on every play and Bruce Arians will be pleased.

I don't think they let him walk without a replacement already on the roster. It's a deep QB class so I'd look at tagging Cutler and drafting an understudy.

Do you really want your QB of the future learning from Jay Cutler? Keep in mind that it will be his introduction into the NFL, and he'll be learning from Cutler as the only starting QB in his ear every day. Cut that bum.

• Upvote 1

I dont think he is. Then again, we saw the Falcons, Ravens and Texans sign their QBs who have accomplished little (Flacco and his playoff performance was a damn anomaly) to mega contracts. Jay Cutler is even, or below all of them in stature. He's 31 years old so he probably won't get too much better. He hasn't shown anything extremely special and he's been prone to dumb injuries that prevent him from performing well.

I have to believe that the Bears will go a different direction this year.

No. As mentioned before...Cutler is 31 and as of recent reports today, it doesn't sound like he'll be on the playing field anytime soon. Josh McCown is a more than serviceable backup..who's played better IMO than Cutler has for a majority of the year in just a few starts. Trestman's system allows for the QB to thrive..and personally I think the Bears should be looking for a QB preferably by draft..to bring up in Trestman's system. Whoever comes along next will have everything around him to succeed. An improving O-line, Bennett, Marshall, Jeffery, and Forte. I think it's time after this year to part ways.