Sign in to follow this  
KempBolt

Rankings of Powerfulness

The Seahawks defensive line got a good deal worse with Chris Clemons and Red Bryant moving to Seattle South. Other than that, they're still pretty stacked.

The Seahawks defensive line got a good deal worse with Chris Clemons and Red Bryant moving to Seattle South. Other than that, they're still pretty stacked.

I don't know about "good deal" worse. Seems to me that they're moving on from those guys at the right time. There are still a lot of talented guys on that line, and quite a bit of youth coming up.

I don't get the Miami hate either. I guess if there's one locker room that could be on the brink of shutting it down it's Philbin's, but let's not forget (as Phins pointed out) the Dolphins barely missed the playoffs down the stretch with all the Bullygate nonsense going on, and with Tannehill being the most sacked QB in the league. They got some young guys in the mix to boost the O-line, and their defense is still strong up front. I'm not predicting playoffs for them, but I don't see them as a bottom 5 team.

I don't get the Miami hate either. I guess if there's one locker room that could be on the brink of shutting it down it's Philbin's, but let's not forget (as Phins pointed out) the Dolphins barely missed the playoffs down the stretch with all the Bullygate nonsense going on, and with Tannehill being the most sacked QB in the league. They got some young guys in the mix to boost the O-line, and their defense is still strong up front. I'm not predicting playoffs for them, but I don't see them as a bottom 5 team.

Yeah I was too low on them and the Ram. It was my bias against their head coaches coming through. I'll have to fix that.

I just had a top 10 list, with each one having 3 paragraph write ups. Google Chrome crashes. Lost it all. No autosave on this forum? Fuck me.

• Upvote 1

So pissed that happened right now. That was a half hour.... Argh. Anyway, here it is without the write ups at the least....

1. Packers

2. Broncos

3. Seahawks

4. Patriots

5. Bears

6. Saints

7. Bengals

8. Colts

9. 49ers

10. Cardinals

Cardinals at 10 seems really, really high. I know that OL is better, but it's still Carson Palmer back there and losing both Dansby and Washington is huge.

Also sorry about your write ups. That sucks.

I gave both the Rams and the Dolphins a small bump. And realistically, they could finish ahead of a number of teams in the tier above them. Reason being that 3rd tier contains quite a few high floor, low ceiling clubs. The Redskins, for instance, have a higher upside than the Rams because of RGIII's potential if he's right. But they also have the lower downside, because if he's a mess again than that whole team will be too. RGIII all by himself could probably be responsible for a 6-7 game swing depending on how he plays. Whereas it's hard to see Bradford being good for more than two games (i.e. the Rams go 7-9 w/out him and 9-7 w/him).

But in forming these rankings, I gave preference to the teams who I think have the potential to really put a run together over teams who are more reliably mediocre.

I think the Dolphins are a 4-12 team. They have potential on defense, but none on offense. I'm a Tanehill fan, but I'm not impressed at all at that offense.

I also don't see the Cardinals anywhere near the top 10. I don't trust Palmer, not in that division. And they lost arguably their best player in Washington.

• Upvote 1

shame Rain I would've loved to read about your Kaepernick disapprovals

Re: Chernobyl's Rankings: Panthers to 23?! That seems to exceed even the most pessimistic views of their offseason.

I think they overachieved last season personally, but their front 7 is elite. Cam is the only thing keeping that offense going right now and losing Jordan Gross was a shot in the foot IMO. If the front 7 plays like last year they will be middle of the pack, but their division is a slaughterhouse. They've got 99 problems but a D-line ain't one.

32. :dolphins:

Miami is not the worst team in the league right now. Period.

Really? Because 3 of their 4 losses came against teams in your top 11. And they had wins against your numbers 1, 3, and 6 clubs.

I can understand the loss of Gross, but otherwise this team doesn't look much different to me and I don't really see how they overachieved. They don't have many of the hall marks of a fluky team. Their point differential was 4th.

So if one were to argue that without Gross they slip back a couple games, I could see it. But 5 games? 23rd? I don't get it.

Let's give this a go.

1. :Seahawks: By virtue of winning it all.

2. :49ers:

3. :Broncos:

4. :Packers:

5. :Saints:

6. :patriots:

7. :Chargers:

8. :panthers:

9. :Bengals:

10. :Steelers:

11. :Cardinals:

12. :Falcons:

13. :Colts:

14. :Chiefs:

15. :Eagles:

16. :Rams:

17. :Titans:

18. :dolphins:

19. :Ravens:

20. :Giants:

21. :Cowboys:

22. :Bears:

23. :Vikings:

24. :Bills:

25. :Lions:

26. :Jets:

27. :jags:

28. :Redskins:

29. :Bucs:

30. :Texans:

31. :Raiders:

32. :Browns:

I don't really buy the Saints at #2. Adding Byrd could be big but is the defense really that much better? If they matched up with SF in the playoffs, I'd take SF pretty easily. GB and Carolina would be coin flips depending on if it's a home or away game.

Also, I kind of think the Cowboys will suck next year. Their defense is an absolute joke and I despise that they're on national TV so much and am forced to watch that garbage. That unit is going to suck, and with Romo coming off the back issues, could be a rough year.

Saints defence allowed 19 points per game which was good enough for 4 th overall and 4 th in total defence. Saints getting Byrd is more like the rich getting richer.

Miami is not the worst team in the league right now. Period.

Explain.

Not the worst offense, nor the worst defense. Ryan Tannehill is serviceable at QB, and the defense is talented. I don't think they're near as bad as the Browns or Raiders who have nothing right now, or the Jags who still have a super raw young team.

Explain.

Already did. And they share the conference with Cleveland, Jacksonville, Houston, and Oakland. All 4 of these teams are just as capable, if not more so, of tanking this year, based on their QB situations (and subsequent lack of continuity) alone. Speaking of the AFC, the Dolphins are one of only 6 teams who actually played better than .500 within the conference, and that is considering a 2-4 performance in a division where only the Pats walked away better than .500 at 4-2. Understand what I'm saying...Miami is mediocre and middle of the road. I'm not playing them up to be the next SB champs, but there is also nowhere near enough evidence to indicate that they will have the worst season of 2014-2015. They are not good enough yet for the top 20, but the past 2 seasons indicate they are too scrappy for 32.

A big part of how I judge teams in power rankings is who would beat who. I think Miami COULD beat 75% the league, but the odds would go against them 99% of the time. Miami, when doing good, is top 12-15. When doing bad they are the absolute trash of the NFL. I spent a good 15 minutes at #32 looking at it and wondering how Miami got there. It's just an all-around poor offseason and less hope than Jacksonville/Oakland/Cleveland. Do I think Miami will have the worst record? Probably not. Do I think they are the worst team in the league AT THIS POINT IN THE YEAR? Yes.

Edited by Chernobyl426

The Dolphins didn't have a bad offseason. It wasn't amazing, but they added Branden Albert, Shelley Smith, and JaWuan James. And they lost... what?

A big part of how I judge teams in power rankings is who would beat who. I think Miami COULD beat 75% the league, but the odds would go against them 99% of the time. Miami, when doing good, is top 12-15.

Do I think Miami will have the worst record? Probably not. Do I think they are the worst team in the league AT THIS POINT IN THE YEAR? Yes.

The very fact that you think Miami could win that many games and that you don't believe they will have the worst record kind of contradict the belief that they are or ever will be the worst team this year. If anything you are defining a middle of the road team with some upside.

To say they are "the absolute trash of the NFL" when doing bad tells me you didn't watch enough of their games to realize how rarely they actually played that bad. Their playoff hopes wouldn't have lasted until week 17 in that case. Trust me, I witnessed worse from other teams. Maybe you and I also just have drastically differing opinions on what constitutes being the worst team in a sport that relies heavily on the number of total wins at the end of a season to determine who the best is.

Edited by Phins4life

I decide to take a somewhat scientific approach, I came up with a range of wins I expect each team to get, then ranked based on expected wins (average of high and low) using my own judgement as the tiebreaker, here's what I got, with my predicted range of wins in parentheses:

1. :Seahawks: (11-14)

2. :Broncos: (10-15)

3. :Patriots: (10-15)

4. :49ers: (10-13)

5. :panthers: (9-13)

6. :Packers: (8-13)

7. :Saints: (8-12)

8. :Bengals: (8-12)

9. :Cardinals: (8-12)

10. :Colts: (8-12)

11. :Falcons: (7-11)

12. :Eagles: (7-11)

13. :Chiefs: (7-11)

14. :Chargers: (7-10)

15. :Bears: (7-10)

16. :Cowboys: (6-10)

17. :Steelers: (7-9)

18. :dolphins: (5-10)

19. :Ravens: (6-9)

20. :Rams: (6-9)

21. :Lions: (5-9)

22. :Giants: (5-9)

23. :Titans: (3-10)

24. :Redskins: (3-9)

25. :Jets: (3-9)

26. :Bills: (4-7)

27. :Bucs: (3-8)

28. :jags: (2-8)

29. :Texans: (2-7)

30. :Vikings: (3-6)

31. :Browns: (1-5)

32. :Raiders: (0-5)

Overall I like how that turned out, I may have tweaked a few things if I wasn't just following these numbers, but I don't have any major complaints. What's interesting is that in doing this is I completely unintentionally ended up with a total expected wins of 256, which is the total number of games that will be played, and I ended up with the 16 and 17 teams having expected 8-8 finishes, I just found those little nuggets interesting. I did intentionally include every team's actual win total from last year in the range with the exception of the Falcons because I think the injuries they suffered last year are an aberration.

24. Kansas City Chiefs :Chiefs:

Jesus, dude... Your bias is clearly showing. I don't even... :facepalm:

It is somewhat depressing that the same teams in the "See ya next year category" have all been there for like the last 10 years or longer. I was high on the Browns and still think they will... maybe improve at some point. Too bad for them Josh Gordon and Johnny happened.

I think the Raiders will actually start to show some improvement this year. Too bad that division is so brutal.

He has a valid point about the Chiefs.

Chiefs had a nice little rid last year...but any time when you lose 3 key starters on your offensive line. The shakeup will not be pleasant.

I get that Jamaal Charles is a godsend and all around here..but he can only do so much. Alex Smith is a smart QB, but I just don't see the passing attack from you guys being all that explosive.

Losing Houston hurts, Hali gonna Hali, and say what you will about Flowers...but...I guarantee at some point the Chiefs are gonna miss him.

I'd be lying if I thought the Chiefs were gonna finish 1 or 2 in that division. I expect the Raiders honestly to give the Chiefs a fight for that third spot.

It is what it is my friend. KC expectations should not be high...a cool crisp .500 is in the air. Maybe.