Sign in to follow this  
KempBolt

Bengals Give Handy Andy 6/115

Im afraid what this means for Newton, tbh. He already said he didn't like Kaep's contract, now Dalton has the same sort of deal, it could strengthen his resolve not to take such a contract.

The Panthers could easily end up paying him 20mil/year, and I just don't see us as the type of team that can win a Superbowl with that much $$$s locked up in the QB slot.

This is the dangerous new standard in the NFL. As long as you have a quarterback who doesn't completely suck, you have to pay top dollar. And forget that pay-as-we-go bullshit. A guy like Dalton should be making $10M per year, maximum.

• Upvote 2

I don't care if they can get out of it after two years... Sure it makes it less bad, but who the hell wants to pay Andy Dalton $25 million over two seasons? That's the going rate for middling QB play who will never win you a playoff game? I'd rather let him go and sign some average joe FA who could be just as good.

Terrible deal but less terrible because they can get out of it.

This is the dangerous new standard in the NFL. As long as you have a quarterback who doesn't completely suck, you have to pay top dollar. And forget that pay-as-we-go bullshit. A guy like Dalton should be making $10M per year, maximum.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

^Cam still on his rookie contract bro, if you draft a QB in the 1st round you get an extra year. Cam will get way more than Dalton IMO.

Of course he will. I know Cam is still on his rookie contract. Doesn't make it any less dumbfounding of a situation.

Cassel got 10 with the Chiefs, and that was long before this new inflated market for QB's. You're acting like he's guaranteed Flacco Money. He's not. 12.5 per year for a guy who's gotten your team to the playoffs every year is not unreasonable at all, even if it is Dalton. Dalton isn't a bum or anything. He's easily the second best QB in the division, and he's making the third most money.

He's making less (guaranteed money) than pretty much every decent starter in the league not under a rookie contract. Call me crazy, but I really don't see the danger in that. :shrug:

• Upvote 1

Cassel got 10 with the Chiefs, and that was long before this new inflated market for QB's. You're acting like he's guaranteed Flacco Money. He's not. 12.5 per year for a guy who's gotten your team to the playoffs every year is not unreasonable at all, even if it is Dalton. Dalton isn't a bum or anything. He's easily the second best QB in the division, and he's making the third most money.

He's making less (guaranteed money) than pretty much every decent starter in the league not under a rookie contract. Call me crazy, but I really don't see the danger in that. :shrug:

Except $96 million for 6 years is $16 million per year. Not sure where you're getting 12.5 from.

Edited by SteVo

Except $96 million for 6 years is $16 million per year. Not sure where you're getting 12.5 from.

Andy's first two years will be worth 2/25 and the Bengals can easily dump him.

• Upvote 2

and if he gets the other 4 years, it's 4/71 with another 19 million in escalators. So 17.75 Mil per year is still pretty reasonable if you want to keep the guy around... And if he's winning them super bowls, that jumps up to 22.5 Mill. Which seems to be the going rate these days. >_>

I fear for Andrew Luck's contract numbers...

I don't know why. It might be refreshing to see a GOOD young QB get paid.

I don't know why. It might be refreshing to see a GOOD young QB get paid.

Good to see him get paid more than Aaron Rodgers, Brees, Roeth, Brady?

All 4 who are undoubtedly the best 4 QB's in this league with rings. No.

Andrew Luck is nowhere on their level. And it is absurd to think of the inflation of these mediocre QB's getting paid money for doing absolutely nothing.

Andrew Luck, Dalton, Flacco, Kaepernick are nowhere in the ranks of elite QB's, and most certainly shouldn't be paid more than them.

• Upvote 1

Oh my god at first I thought the thread said "6/11.5" as in $11.5m per year and was like that's a pretty good deal... lol.

Andrew Luck is not an elite quarterback yet, but putting him in the same sentence as Andy Dalton and Joe Flacco is insulting. He's only had two years in the league and already he's overrated forever? :laugh:

• Upvote 2

If Andy Dalton gets this kind of money, just think what an 'actual' QB like Alex Smith should get. That guy is licking his chops over in KC right now. And even though I have mostly supported Smith since his resurgence in SF, those kind of numbers should scare the Chiefs and their fans.

Wonder if we're seeing these numbers partially because the Cap is supposedly going to increase. If this deal hurts their chances at re-signing Green or Burflict this deal will have been a HUGE mistake.

Where is the discernible gap between Dalton and Smith? Smith turns the ball over less, but makes fewer plays and isn't asked to take as many risks. Dalton turns the ball over more, but he produces more points.

In an offense with more than 1 weapon. With the talent he has around him, what he produces is pretty pathetic.

• Upvote 1

In an offense with more than 1 weapon. With the talent he has around him, what he produces is pretty pathetic.

33 TDs (3rd in the league) and 268 yards per game (8th in the league)?

33 TDs (3rd in the league) and 268 yards per game (8th in the league)?

Stafford effect. Volume of attempts increases volume of production increases. Still ineffective.

• Upvote 1

Smith's reputation is built on the backs of offenses that ask him to do very little because of how effective they are when he simply doesn't screw up.

Also, Green is legit, but right now who are the other studs in Cincy that make Andy's supporting cast so vastly superior? Lots of young guys with a lot of potential, but the Bengal are talked about as though all those guys have already arrived.

Edited by KempBolt

Stafford effect. Volume of attempts increases volume of production increases. Still ineffective.

Andy is no superstar but his passing TD % is top 9 in the league with a 5.6% with QBs over 224 attempts (McCown is on that list). We are all well aware of Dalton's struggles and wouldn't dare place him on a pedestal against other top performing QBs but I wouldn't call his production pathetic. 33 TD's isn't pathetic production. There are definitely things that he can work on to get better to take his game and his team to the next level but Dalton definitely has something to work with. Putting points on the board is definitely a good start and he's shown that he can do that. Just has to work on other things in his game to balance out.

Edited by Dutch

That's all fine and good Dutch, but he might be the worst playoff QB I've ever seen and at the end of the day, what's the ultimate goal?

That's all fine and good Dutch, but he might be the worst playoff QB I've ever seen and at the end of the day, what's the ultimate goal?

You're taking what I'm saying out of context. By no means am I saying that Dalton is a good QB. But overall, his production isn't pathetic. He's pretty bad in the playoffs, yeah. But putting up 33 TD's isn't pathetic. He definitely has to improve in other areas of his game because putting up points isn't the end all at that position because turnovers and when you score the points come into play. But you have something to work with that is better than pathetic production outside the playoffs so far. If he was really pathetic, he wouldn't have a chance to be pathetic in the playoffs. See what I did there? :laugh:

Andy is no superstar but his passing TD % is top 9 in the league with a 5.6% with QBs over 224 attempts (McCown is on that list). We are all well aware of Dalton's struggles and wouldn't dare place him on a pedestal against other top performing QBs but I wouldn't call his production pathetic. 33 TD's isn't pathetic production. There are definitely things that he can work on to get better to take his game and his team to the next level but Dalton definitely has something to work with. Putting points on the board is definitely a good start and he's shown that he can do that. Just has to work on other things in his game to balance out.

It's his consistency that's pathetic, Dutch. He's great one week, and then the next week he looks like Akili Smith. In fact, the only thing consistent about his game is his inconsistency as a constant. He's got weapons. He's got one fucking A-bomb and a lot of speedy playmaker type guys with a back that everyone is all about until they try to make a case for Dalton not being a bum. His numbers look nice in a vacuum, but football isn't played in a vacuum. All things are not equal.

Smith's reputation is built on the backs of offenses that ask him to do very little because of how effective they are when he simply doesn't screw up.

Also, Green is legit, but right now who are the other studs in Cincy that make Andy's supporting cast so vastly superior? Lots of young guys with a lot of potential, but the Bengal are talked about as though all those guys have already arrived.

The fact that Dalton has guys who can make it out of their house in the morning without dropping their coffee and falling on their face give him a vastly superior cast to Smith. Alex has a better back. Everything else, from top to bottom, is better in Cincy.

Green > Bowe, all other receivers outside of Avery probably have comparable combined catch numbers to Cincy's #2 guy, and Bernard is a good back in his own right. Dalton's line is better, and his defense is probably as good or nearly as good as that of the Chiefs.

Add to that the fact that the Chiefs CURRENTLY play in a tougher division than the Bengals, and the fact that the Bengals got just as far as the Chiefs last season paints a pretty clear picture of Andy Dalton imo. Hell, the Chiefs were poised to possibly make a run before half of the team went out for the game in the Colts playoff collapse.

Result: Smith 1, Dalton 0000000

If Andy Dalton gets this kind of money, just think what an 'actual' QB like Alex Smith should get. That guy is licking his chops over in KC right now. And even though I have mostly supported Smith since his resurgence in SF, those kind of numbers should scare the Chiefs and their fans.

KC should most def let Smith go if that "actual qb" demands this type of money. Pretty easy to find some scrub qb that passed 20 TDS once in his career and needs an entire Offense built around him.