Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Josh McCown expected to miss 'several weeks'

Per Rotoworld.com:

FOX Sports' Alex Marvez reports Josh McCown (thumb) is expected to miss "several weeks."
McCown is currently undergoing a second test on his sprained right thumb. The injury is more serious than initially thought, and will likely cost him multiple games. Mike Glennon will get an extended look in McCown's absence and could remain the starter going forward. McCown was struggling to move the offense even when healthy, and had a 2:4 TD:INT ratio through two and a half games prior to going down. Sep 19 - 8:50 PM

Glennon will step in and lead the Bucs to at least two victories. Giraffe is the future.

I appreciate Atlanta forcing a decision Lovie would have never made himself. Unfortunately Glennon might get killed behind our O-line.

I can't believe Lovie named McCown the starter before he even saw Glennon in practice. So fucking stupid. I think the Bucs win in week 1 with Glennon out there.

This may be a blessing in disguise. A 35 year old journeyman QB was not the answer to this franchise. And that's not to say that Mike Glennon is but we've had 12 years to see what McCown had to offer. He's a backup at best. Lovie should have known better.

You know, the McCown thing never really made sense to me from the start. I get that he's a guy Lovie Smith is familiar with, but I thought Glennon did pretty well last year considering what he was working with and how poisonous the coaching staff was.

Much more so, I think that this is solid news for the Bucs. You never want to see a guy get hurt, but if ever a better situation, this is it. McCown was all over the place against the Falcons on Thursday night. He's got two great receivers on the outside and he was over-throwing them, under-throwing them - just completely missing on his throws, and that's when there were times they were wide open, I mean he could have easily chucked a couple of touchdowns to an open Mike Evans.

Glennon came in, and even though they still didn't look that great, I thought the offense looked like it ran a little more well oiled. Seemed like the offense had more chemistry and rhythm once Glennon was inserted. Just my opinion.

Thing is, when our interest in McCown came out I was thinking "Great, a veteran backup QB who can push Glennon for the starting job." But then in the press conference after announcing his signing Lovie anointed him the starter and it just left a bad feeling in your stomach. Josh McCown is just not a NFL starting QB, he's a backup. We don't know how good Glennon is yet, he had a decent rookie year let's see how he plays.

Thing is, when our interest in McCown came out I was thinking "Great, a veteran backup QB who can push Glennon for the starting job." But then in the press conference after announcing his signing Lovie anointed him the starter and it just left a bad feeling in your stomach. Josh McCown is just not a NFL starting QB, he's a backup. We don't know how good Glennon is yet, he had a decent rookie year let's see how he plays.

I'm 95% sure that a Glennon lead Bucs offense will be better than a McCown led Bucs offense.

I don't understand why Glennon hasn't been put in earlier tbh. I didn't watch any Bucs games last year except when the Falcons played them, but he looked good from what I saw. Dude must have banged the owners wife or something because no matter how well he plays the Bucs are dead set on replacing him.

Edited by BarrelofHobos

The Tampa Bay Times expects the Bucs to let Mike Glennon play out the final 13 games.

Josh McCown (thumb) is week to week, and isn't going to get his starting job back when healthy, barring a faceplant by Glennon. A 35-year-old journeyman, McCown has proven to be a product of Marc Trestman's system, while 24-year-old Glennon played well enough as a rookie last season to get an extended look. Glennon is on the QB2 radar in a matchup with a Steelers defense that's allowed five passing touchdowns through three games.

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN's Adam Schefter mentioned on NFL Insiders Monday that Josh McCown has a torn ligament in his right (throwing) thumb.
Coach Lovie Smith is refusing to commit to Mike Glennon as the Bucs' starter in Week 5 against the Saints, but all signs point in that direction. McCown may not even be healthy enough for backup duties. The Bucs signed Mike Kafka off their practice squad last week. He could remain the backup at New Orleans. Sep 29 - 4:04 PM

If Lovie puts McCown back in as the starter, he should be fired on the spot.

• Upvote 1

Lovie is definitely hard headed (look at how long he stuck with Grossman in Chicago when it was obvious he needed to be benched), but there is no way he can justify putting McCown back out there unless an injury forces it. Honestly, our outlook on this season may not have been so bleak if he put Glennon out there from day one. There is no coincidence that we have our best offensive game of the season with Glennon out there instead of McCown. I don't buy Glennon as a franchise QB, but give the kid a chance. Josh McCown is a proven backup caliber player and has sucked as a starter in several cities already.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Mike Glennon has been benched for Josh McCown.
Glennon himself made the announcement in a Tuesday radio interview. It's not surprising after coach Lovie Smith strongly hinted at the move in Monday's press conference. We'd argue Glennon still gives the Bucs their best chance to win, but he hasn't exactly been impressive in place of McCown. Glennon has completed just 57.6 percent of his 203 passes, and owns an underwhelming 6.98 YPA and 10:6 TD:INT ratio. He's thrown at least one pick in five straight starts. It's not outside the realm of possibility that Glennon makes more starts before the year is through, but he can be safely dropped in two-quarterback leagues. Nov 4 - 6:31 PM

Makes zero sense to bench him for Mccown. What does the team gain by it? Mccown is old and has no upside. Lovie Smith has learned nothing in his year off. He should be fired at years end.

I really am tired of the musical chairs of coaching we've had in Tampa post-Gruden, but Lovie is just begging to be fired. It kind of sickens me he is pretty much making Glennon his scapegoat instead of admitting his outdated defense doesn't work and is costing us pretty much every game. The games McCown started was some of the worst ball I've seen a Buc offense play and we're seriously going back to that. Piss off Lovie.

He hasn't officially named McCown the starter, has he? Jesus Christ.

There are a lot of problems in Tampa. Quarterback is not one of them. Glennon is already pretty good with a very bright future. If Lovie sits him, the FO should step in (if Glennon's teammates don't. I would bet that VJax and Evans love him).

QB IS one of them Glennon is not the answer in Tampa.

• Upvote 1

Either is the 35 year old journeyman QB whose played for 8 different teams and threw for twice as many INTs as TDs this year. But our jackass of a HC needs someone else to blame so people won't blame his pathetic ass defense and coaching for 1-7.

I'd prefer to see Glennon play out the year. He hasn't played well, but we might as well be certain with what we have with Glennon and let him play the final 8 games. If nothing else but to see if he's worth having around as a back-up. McCown offers zero upside to starting. He won't help us win games and we're not going to get any other benefits with a QB of his age and talent.