BLUE

Russell Wilson expected to become highest paid QB

If I could get Eli (has to be Eli from last year tho) or Phillip for less than Top QB money, that is a STEAL compared to what Wilson wants. A better QB for less money? Sign me up. Of course, there is no guarantee... but I wonder if Seattle could say sway a Rivers to the team with the promise of a SB.

Sorry, thought I'd responded to this already, do you really think you'd get Eli or Rivers for less than top dollar? I don't see that happening, more likely they don't see free agency

Sorry, thought I'd responded to this already, do you really think you'd get Eli or Rivers for less than top dollar? I don't see that happening, more likely they don't see free agency

There can only really be one "top dollar". If you mean just big money in general and not #1 -- of course they will make big money. But I would easily take Phil or Eli at 20 over Russell at 25. Even if it's just for a stop gap as you find somebody else.

As you mentioned though, I am not sure how likely it is they see FA anyway. But in this era where Peyton Manning wears orange and Brett Favre wore purple, I don't feel convinced either way.

There can only really be one "top dollar". If you mean just big money in general and not #1 -- of course they will make big money. But I would easily take Phil or Eli at 20 over Russell at 25. Even if it's just for a stop gap as you find somebody else.

As you mentioned though, I am not sure how likely it is they see FA anyway. But in this era where Peyton Manning wears orange and Brett Favre wore purple, I don't feel convinced either way.

I didn't realize you were being literal about "Top QB money" but in that case no, you're right, Eli or Rivers will most likely not be the highest paid QB in the league, but they're gonna get an annual pay close to what Wilson gets. With as rare as it is that a QB of their caliber hits free agency you can bet there will be teams lining up to give them over $20M per year for a few years, so I don't think you'd end up saving much and you would get a much shorter solution.

Also, does anyone else feel like they're talking about Monopoly money when discussing athlete contracts?

• Upvote 1

Eli had to have two miracle runs to win his rings. Rivers hasn't managed to even make a superbowl. I don't see how we would want either of them over a much younger QB who routinely tuns shit into gold. A QB who manages to thrive despite having five scarecrows as an O-line, and a b-list recieving corps. He's solid, and dependable. He makes the throws we need him to make, and he has the speed and agility to avoid getting hit the five million times per game our o-line lets pressure through. If you gave wilson the O-lines and recievers eli or Rivers have I don't doubt he'd do as well as they have if not better. If you put Eli or Rivers on our offense, neither of them would survive.

so no, I don't believe we should trade out Wilson. Right now we're playing contract chicken. We've just come off of two straight superbowls, so he's pushing for the big contract. He's highballed us, just as any other player would do, but I believe both sides know that he's not going to be the highest paid QB in the NFL no matter where he goes. I'd expect this to drag out as long as possible before he decides to compromise. Wilson won't be going anywhere.

But... he doesn't throw for 4000 yards in a season!

So we've got a QB that completes 63.4% of his passes, has 72 touchdowns to 26 interceptions, 7.9 yards per attempt, a career QB rating of 98.6, 1,877 rushing yards on 6.1 yards per attempt(11 touchdowns, 8 lost fumbles) 10 4th quarter comebacks and 15 game winning drives, all in just his first 3 years as a starter, and even with his godawful performance in most of the Green Bay game, a 60.9% completion percentage in the playoffs to go along with 12 tds/6ints, 9 ypa, a 97.8 QB rating(which places him 5th all time in NFL history in post season QB rating), with another 255 and 2 tds on the ground on 5.9 ypa.

All of this done with dog shit receiving corp and average at best, often awful offensive line, year in, year out.

And people are talking about how replaceable he is.

Misleading stats are misleading.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Funny. Whenever you enter a discussion about Tony Romo, all I hear about are stats. It's like, when they fit your purpose, "These stats are a good indicator of ability."

And then when they do not: "Misleading stats are misleading."

There's a pretty large difference here--Tony Romo is easily a better player based on the eye test (and the stats, mind you).

Speaking to a church congregation on Sunday, Russell Wilson again refused to rule out the idea of playing baseball.

"Both" was Wilson's answer when asked which sport he preferred. "I believe if anybody could do it, I could," Wilson continued. "And I believe God’s put me — gave me the ability to do it. I’ve done it my whole life." Why Wilson keeps talking about his theoretical baseball career is anyone's guess, but it still stands to reason that he's trying to leverage the Seahawks in long-term talks. For as earnest and humble as Wilson presents himself, we doubt he actually has designs on becoming a two-sport athlete at the age of 26.

Misleading stats are misleading.

Fantastic argument, BWare. 10/10. Totally convinced me.

God forbid you actually back up your argument with any facts(or hell, even opinion) or anything.

• Upvote 2

Russell Wilson was "anointed' by God says Russell Wilson... Ugh. Gross.

• Upvote 2

There's a pretty large difference here--Tony Romo is easily a better player based on the eye test (and the stats, mind you).

Um, nope to the latter, unless you are talking volume stats.

To the former- your eye test perhaps. Not to others.

Um, nope to the latter, unless you are talking volume stats.

To the former- your eye test perhaps. Not to others.

Agreed. Romo has routinely had a stacked offense and one of the top offensive lines in the league. Not to mention he's throwing to the likes of Dez Bryant. I said this in my previous post when Favre brought up Eli Manning and Phil Rivers. There are very few QBs in the NFL who could stand behind what he laughingly call an O-line and manage to be as efficent and successful as Russell Wilson has been. These old school pocket passer QBs people constantly fellate for thwarting for 400+ yards a game would not survive the constant pressure Wilson is under when he lines up. The likes of Romo, Rivers, Eli, Peyton, and Brady are used to standing behind iron walls and having all day to scan the field until a throw opens up. They could not survive being constantly under fire and having to avoid sack after sack hoping to find a throw within the 2 seconds or less Wilson usually has to make a throw unless he manages to scramble and extend the play because our O-line can't pass-block for crap. They just don't have the mobility to keep from being run down and smote every play. Russell Wilson is the perfect QB for our offense. He does everything we need, and we would most likely have to change everything in our offense completely if we were to bring in anyone else. He is also young. Remember that he is only starting his fourth season. His play will improve. Especially as we bring in better weapons for him.

If our line and receivers improve and Wilson doesn't, I'll be happy to admit I am wrong. Until then I think Wilson should be given the benefit of the doubt. He's done a hell of a job with the dime store offense he's been handed since he arrived.

Seahawks should consider drafting Chuckie Keeton in the mid-to-late rounds of next year's draft as insurance for Wilson.

I'm not saying he will be as good as Wilson, but they are very similar in play style, plus the Seahawks have had good luck with Utah State players. (Turbin, Wagner)

Seahawks should consider drafting Chuckie Keeton in the mid-to-late rounds of next year's draft as insurance for Wilson.

I'm not saying he will be as good as Wilson, but they are very similar in play style, plus the Seahawks have had good luck with Utah State players. (Turbin, Wagner)

Seahawks should consider shutting their franchise down in they let Wilson walk.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Seahawks and contract-year QB Russell Wilson remain "not close" in talks, and that Wilson wants to "be paid as if" he was a free agent.

Per Rapsheet, "thoughts of a fully guaranteed contract have not left" Wilson's mind. If there was a window for the Seahawks to get any sort of a discount on their franchise player, it has slammed shut. Wilson wants to be the league's highest-paid player, and the Seahawks lack a sensible argument for why he shouldn't be. Wilson is not the league's best quarterback, but mega deals are the reality for any elite signal caller whose time it is to get paid. This is a staring contest Seattle will eventually lose.
Source: NFL.com

Seahawks are probably going to go in the direction that the Pats did when they started paying Brady a bunch of money. Brady was playing with a monster defense and a very good running game and putting up modest passing stats. Then the Pats paid him and built the team around him. If Wilson is really worth the money we'll find out because he'll start putting up big time passing numbers and the Seahawks will continue to win post season games. I think he's more than capable. Especially if Seattle can keep some of the key defensive pieces they'll always be at least respectable on that side of the ball.

Brady's an interesting guy to bring up since he's probably the player best known for taking team discounts

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports contract-year QB Russell Wilson will not negotiate a new deal once he steps foot onto the field at training camp.

Contract talks will be halted until next offseason if a deal isn't in place by July 30 when the Seahawks report to camp. After that, we'll likely be looking at a franchise-tag situation come 2016. Wilson is reportedly still aiming to be the league's highest-paid player and possibly score a fully-guaranteed contract.
Source: NFL.com

No, that was Eli Manning for 2 days out of his life against Brady

:smug:

• Upvote 1

And I never agree with Bware....

But misleading stats are misleading.

The defense of Seattle makes it incredibly simple for him. In terms of field position, the points they create off turnovers, and the fact that Seattle is probably starting around midfield or opponent territory most drives. That leaves Wilson from about the 50 to 15 yard line to do his work. From 15 yards in, that is Lynch's work. All he has to do is play smart, and efficient, which he does...and he's pretty much set.

It's not that hard to do when you already have defenses trying to defend the TD and it's not like you want to put pressure on Wilson with how much of an athlete he is.

I'm not saying Wilson is replaceable...but I'm saying guys like Teddy Bridgewater, $cam, Winston, and maybe even Mariota could have success in that system.