BwareDWare94

PQS: Your Music Quirks

1. What's a style of music you find yourself drawn to that others might see as strange?

2. What's your favorite complementary instrument?

3. Who are some artists you enjoy that people wouldn't expect?

4. If you could alter the music world for the better, how would you do it?

5. What style of song do like you most? Happy? Sad? Story-telling? Absolute tear-jerker? Politcal? Etc.

1. A lot of people think it's strange that I like Scandinavian Melodeath while also being such a huge Country fan.

2. Steel guitar, without question. When it's played well, it conveys emotion in ways that most other instruments can't. That shit sears right into your soul.

3. I really dig Ellie Goulding's voice. Most of you also know that I'm a huge of The Fray's albums (except Helios). While I don't buy her music, I must admit I am drawn to Taylor Swift's obvious songwriting talent, even if she is overbearing.

4. I would definitively define genre parameters so modern country radio would have to play real, actual country music instead of this current Nashville mess of hip hop/pop/r&b/arena rock all rolled into one gigantic shitty mess.

5. I'm definitely a sad song fan, which kind of ties in with storytelling in songs. Nothing moves me more than an absolutely freight train of a sad song ("Phantom 309" by Red Sovine comes t mind).

What about the rest of you?

1. People find my music tastes rather eclectic. I like standard rock, a decent amount of R&B, and then people either find the Heavy to Death Metal strange, the Prog Rock strange, the Blues, or Classical music strange. Everyone finds my unabashed love of J-pop and J-rock completely off the level.

2. Nothing beats the piano. It can create such a variety of moods, but often I will find myself drawn to the single piano songs with a melancholy melody.

3. Joanna Newsom. Folk and Country are not pools I often wade into, but her voice just makes it so enjoyable I cannot help but listen.

4. Kill every pop music producer, and see what blooms from that battlefield.

5. Prog rock is definitely my favourite kind of music, so I guess I would say I enjoy music that tells a story. Music that takes you on a journey and gives you a greater understanding is music that is precious and should be cherished. Even if the story is tragic, comedic or pointless, it can still be worth listening to.

1. Hardcore Punk,

Doom Metal, Sludge Metal, Death Metal, Thrashcore, Grindcore (rare these days)

1. What's a style of music you find yourself drawn to that others might see as strange?

Progressive rock/metal, Gothic/doom metal, Sludge metal, old school hip hop - I really haven't listened to this in a while though

Since I mainly listen to hard rock/metal, I love when bands have a keyboardist...so I'll go with a keyboard/piano.

John Legend, Adele, Florence & the Machine

Well, I've always despised pop music, but....it sells so I don't know how I would fix that if its what a lot of people want. My one complaint is that I have have a hard time finding new bands I like so I would create a radio station (AM/FM) that plays underground rock/metal. There may be one that exists but I've never heard of it.

5. What style of song do like you most? Happy? Sad? Story-telling? Absolute tear-jerker? Politcal? Etc.

I'd say in general I love sad/meaningful songs. I really love 7-10 minute epics which can be of any style but sad/story-telling are usually the best. It gets awkward for me when I meet new people because it's like....a lot of the bands I listen to tend to be a bit gloomy so I'm always hesitant to play my music around new people. And when I do go through the downs in life...I find this type of music can sometimes make things worse.

• Upvote 2

--Emo music. I know it died years ago but I still love it.

--I like songs with brass instruments in the background.

--I don't think I like anyone that's too obscure, given my answer to #1

--remove the stigma from enjoying pop music. Also, kill bon jovi

Happy. I like a song i can dance and sing along to

None really.

Electric Guitar?

I'll admit I jam out to a lot of mainstream music in my car, even if the artist is a chick. >_> I'm not proud of it but it's catchy.

Stop the inevitable genre of hip hop and country fusing together. Thanks, FGL.

If I had to pick one I'd say sad maybe? with a happy ending? lol

• Upvote 1

I mostly listen to Country, I guess some people find that strange, for stranger I'll throw bluegrass in, I'm not that familiar with bluegrass groups, but I always enjoy the style

a good fiddle part can really take a song to another level IMO, moreso than most complimentary instruments

Weird Al Yankovic, always loved his stuff and I'm actually going to see him in concert next week (I'm a little excited about that)

I also love some old school R&B, stuff like Boyz II Men, Brian McKnight, Babyface, or even older, there's some great stuff in Classic Motown

I don't like the dominance of singles right now and the length of time between when a single comes out and the cd is available, but I'm not sure what can be done to change that

I enjoy a wide variety of styles, it's part of what draws me to country music, it has all of the above, really depends on what mood I'm in, that said since you included it I'll have to say I love a good song that tells a good story

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

There's nothing too out of the ordinary with the genres that I like. Might be weird that I can listen to a bunch of different genres (classical to rap to rock to heavier stuff) but I think a lot of people are like that, so :shrug:

Cello or violin.

There's a lot of pop music that I don't mind.

Terrestrial radio needs an overhaul. There's no need for the same song to be played three times in a single hour. Doing that will also get rid of the, "Hey, we know this song isn't any good, but you're going to listen to it a million times and learn to like it" type of songs.

Sad, I guess? I'm a happy person, but I've always gravitated to, and I guess put more artistic value, into darker/sadder songs.

• Upvote 1

Honestly I like almost all forms of music, but the one I prefer most that people would think is strange? I'd have to go with string groups. See: Vitamin String Quartet is bae.

Given that I just listed VTQ, I'll take the cello. :wub:

Bobby Shmurda, A$AP Ferg, Odd Future, Childish Gambino. I'm white as hell, so it's a bit unexpected.

No more stupid shit with dubstep. Dubstep has times where it can be great, but usually it's piss poor repetitive amateur shit.

5. What style of song do like you most? Happy? Sad? Story-telling? Absolute tear-jerker? Political? Etc.

Flowing is probably the best word I can choose.

Cello or violin.

Vin y u snipe my shit

There really isn't a genre that I can't stand. Unless it's some of that crap Trident posts :smug: I listen to a lot of 90s music, rock, alternative, pop, hip hop, what have you. I like instrumentalists like Earth, and purely a capella jams like the Doo Wops. My all-time favorite kind of 'odd-ball' genre though is Zydeco, hands down. So much fun to see live, crazy instruments, accordion solos, washboard jams, it's so awesome. Creole cajun polka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEDCUCItvlk

Got baked with these guys in their hotel room.

Is this something that's not vocals, guitar, bass or drums? I love bands that employ stuff like fiddles/violins well. Accordions do go a long way with me as well.

Being an atheist, the fact that I love gospel music really shocks people. I just love passionate shit, no matter what it's about. I love big time singers I guess. I have all the Glee soundtracks... love Adele... Aretha, Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald. On a totally different note, I find myself listening to dubstep recently which is new for me. It has its place. I also freak people out when I'm bumping Carly Rae Jepsen or Taylor Swift in the car.

Murder all the talentless hacks that make millions of dollars.

Can't beat the rock ballad. Or a solid Rush epic. Happy songs rule, but I'm also a big fan of the Blues and Southern Rock. Can't go wrong really. As long as it has soul.

I feel like I'm not allowed to post in this thread...

Jesus, didn't realize there were like, a million kinda rock genres. That's doing the most. Lol.

Also, might as well give this a go:

PR&B, Christian rock, EDM (especially trapstep) would be stuff that some people might find strange that I listen to.

Obviously along with regular hip hop and more lyrical content, there's also a long list of rappers that many might find whack that I can appreciate with moderation. The Young Thugs of the world if you will.

Uhhhh... Do 808 machines count? Lol.

PARTYNEXTDOOR, Frank Ocean, Jhene AIko, probably just the entire PR&B genre.

IDK how, but fix the radio. There are so many GREAT up and coming rappers who even have songs that would be great on the radio who never ever get a chance. No reason why guys like Vince Staples can't get some air time when freaking "Trap Queen" and every repetitive ass song ever created by Drake gets played a million times.

Don't really have any. Although story-telling, happy, and political would probably have to be up there. Especially story telling and Political, which is why Lupe Fiasco is my favorite artist of all time.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

There really isn't a genre that I can't stand. Unless it's some of that crap Trident posts :smug: I listen to a lot of 90s music, rock, alternative, pop, hip hop, what have you. I like instrumentalists like Earth, and purely a capella jams like the Doo Wops. My all-time favorite kind of 'odd-ball' genre though is Zydeco, hands down. So much fun to see live, crazy instruments, accordion solos, washboard jams, it's so awesome. Creole cajun polka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEDCUCItvlk

Got baked with these guys in their hotel room.

Is this something that's not vocals, guitar, bass or drums? I love bands that employ stuff like fiddles/violins well. Accordions do go a long way with me as well.

Being an atheist, the fact that I love gospel music really shocks people. I just love passionate shit, no matter what it's about. I love big time singers I guess. I have all the Glee soundtracks... love Adele... Aretha, Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald. On a totally different note, I find myself listening to dubstep recently which is new for me. It has its place. I also freak people out when I'm bumping Carly Rae Jepsen or Taylor Swift in the car.

Murder all the talentless hacks that make millions of dollars.

Can't beat the rock ballad. Or a solid Rush epic. Happy songs rule, but I'm also a big fan of the Blues and Southern Rock. Can't go wrong really. As long as it has soul.

I used to be heavy into dubstep, and then I got exposed to other forms of EDM.

I used to be heavy into dubstep, and then I got exposed to other forms of EDM.

I don't really think I like the heavier WUB WUB WUB stuff... but I found like these couple hour long compilations on youtube, and i just put em on when im working around the house or chilling at night or something and let them play. I don't even know the dif between dubstep or edm, I only call it dubstep cus that's what the title says. Stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHbuYCqYEd0

A lot of the same stuff you guys already listed especially metal, doo wop etc. one that really throws people off with me is ambient music. I love to listen to ambient and classical music when I'm drawing. I had a teacher in school once who liked classical music so we'd listen to it constantly which usually put me in a trance to draw and keep drawing and when i stumbled onto ambient music I knew it'd fit the bill as well. But one I've gotten weird reactions to with some people is when they get in my car and I happen to be listening to an instrumental band with no singing/lyrics nothing, like say it's the Budos Band which is an old favorite I think of with this they're a funk band with some world elements and jazz to it, they got elements of each. It literately made no sense to them. One even asked me, "Well then what's the point?"

Horns for sure.

No idea. I guess the outlaw country artists like your George Jones, Johnny Paycheck, Waylon Jennings etc.

I may be under the influence but it'd be pretty sweet if we became iPods, like got memory cards installed into our brains so we could at will access songs we wanted to hear just by thinking it. Where you could make it so either no one else can hear it but you or so they can — with your ears doubling as the speakers. :yep:

Don't, completely dependent on mood or situation.

• Upvote 1

I don't think anything i listen to is that odd, and I don't know if people think anything I listen to is all that odd. I do like instrumentals though, depending on the day / mood -- and love the opposite (acapella) as well.

Going to be really boring and just copy the popular answer because it ties in with other questions... Any kind of violin / fiddle / etc.

I have posted her on here multiple times, so you guys may expect it. But other people who I either don't talk to that often or what have you always get a kick out of the fact that I love Lindsey Sterling. One of the greatest and most talented artists I've ever come across.

This is more embarrassing though... But there are current pop songs that I really really like by artists that I probably shouldn't like. Like.. One DirectionI really really love You & I which almost makes my own skin crawl, so I expect yours too as well. I remember hearing that song for the first time on the radio... Being all like "Woah, this is awesome, I have to go look up who sings this"... I went home, looked it up.. And facepalmed, no joke. It is what it is though. Lol

My favorite song of right now is Shut Up and Dance by Walk the Moon... I haven't gotten tired of it yet, but it plays on the radio ALL THE TIME. Like literally all the time. I hope it doesn't get ruined.

I really like just about anything and it depends on how I am feeling. I probably tend to enjoy more upbeat story-centric kind of music. The songs I always go back to are the ones I feel I can connect with or ones where I can not only hear the lyrics, but truly listen to them and go "Ya, I get it".