butta54

Female Proposals

11407205_10204326274904241_1478111742592

There has been serious debate between me and some of my FB friends over this image. I was shocked to find out how many people are dead set against something like this.

To me I believe most of the time in society we say we want equality, but cling to very old traditions that promote otherwise. IMO a woman should be able to pull out a chair for a man, pick up the check, or propose...

Edited by butta55

I think you are right in the fact that we want change / equality / etc yet still hold onto a lot of outdated traditions and expect them to be the norm. People want their cake and to eat it too, and unfortunately change and equality doesn't work that way.

I'm definitely a perpetrator when it comes to this as I like to follow traditions...such as picking up the check. Thus, ideally, I want to be the one to propose but I won't lie... part of that honestly, would be to just avoid the social reaction from others. But ultimately I wouldn't really care if she's the one AND anyways you can still present her the engagement ring afterwards in a similar fashion.

If the female is the one to propose, does the man take her surname?

That'd be way too beta

Zoe Saldana's husband took her last name I think....so would I :smug:

• Upvote 1

I don't think "picking up the check" is tradition once you're in an established relationship. It's pretty common to split after that point.

I'd rather ask a woman to marry me than vice versa, but like BJORN said, it is what it is.

As for last names, I honestly don't mind the idea of both parties keeping their last names. Just pick one for the children, or hyphenate if the names work together.

I agree I think it isn't a big deal.

But I think it is interesting to consider the ridiculous amount of psychology ingrained into males in our society to the point where this would probably never be the "norm". Saw people posting on FB today saying that this is crazy and you have to "let the man be the man".

Again its crazy how on the surface we want to accept each gender as equal in society but deep down there is that hierarchy that has been passed down for generatons.

I think it's strange and way out of the norm but I won't discriminate towards those who identify of different sexualities from heterosexuals and choose to do it. But in my personal life, I would be the one to propose in any possible marriage situation. To be honest I had never even heard of a woman proposing to a man with the exception of when Topanga proposed to Corey in Boy Meets World at their commencement.

Edited by BC

I can consider myself of a culture that still follows through with traditional marriage values. I still believe they are the way to go for me. Not all heterosexuals have to uphold all traditional values, but that's one that for me is kinda weird if it's changed. Not that I'll judge those who go for it. Just for me, heterosexual still means the man is the man in the relationship and proposes, handles more of the physical tasks whenever possible, etc etc. Just the way its gunna be in my family through my generation.

It's not a big deal at all. But Idt I could ever let my baby moms propose to me. I'd shut it down and let her know she's fucking up the rotation. :yep:

Or, i'd let her do it, then have to to it back to her....

I don't think "picking up the check" is tradition once you're in an established relationship. It's pretty common to split after that point.

I'd rather ask a woman to marry me than vice versa, but like BJORN said, it is what it is.

As for last names, I honestly don't mind the idea of both parties keeping their last names. Just pick one for the children, or hyphenate if the names work together.

Marriage proposals is the only thing I would be against her doing for me. I ask my girl all the time if she's got it when the waiter comes back with the receipt.

And then she proceeds to look at me like I'm trippin.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

JD, to answer your question. Because, BC...

In regards to this thread, personally I'd have none of that. But pretty sure it won't matter since any girl I'd marry wouldn't pull this in the first place.

• Upvote 2

JD, to answer your question. Because, BC...

Explains everything....

On a lighter note, I'm glad my woman didn't think of this otherwise she would have proposed to me about five years ago. :laugh:

In regards to the whole 'gender equality' issue, I don't think we'll ever achieve that completely which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Before you flame away, I'm not saying men should be paid more than women for doing the same job. Chivalrous acts such as holding the door open for your lady or seating her at a restaurant are focused on a man doing a noble act for a woman. I think that custom is good to keep around even if it somewhat hurts the 'gender equality' cause.

Plus, let's look at our military. I read this article the other day about how there are considerations to lower the combat standards for women in the Marines (Rangers also). Our military is highly-regarded as the top in the world. We didn't get that reputation because our soldiers can run a mile and do fifty jumping jacks. Outside of our advanced technology, our ground forces are highly trained and physically capable. If a woman can pass the course, then by all means I'm for it. There's no reason she shouldn't be able to fight alongside a man. However, I am not willing to sacrifice the quality of our special forces when it comes to our national defense just to be politically correct.

Went off-topic a little, but someone introduced gender equality so I figured it was a relevant post.

• Upvote 1

I really don't get how people can get bent out of shape about other peoples' proposals, as long as it works for the two involved why does it matter to anyone else? and I'm assuming that by the time a relationship gets to the point of marriage proposal you've talked enough to know what's not gonna fly

I just find this conversation very interesting. While it seems that it is not a big deal we can see clearly even btw us on TGP that most men wouldn't want it to happen. I just like to explore the reason behind society feeling this way beyond the typical "it's tradition".

Also the picking up the check and stuff were just examples of traditional norms that people think of not saying they are rules.

Edited by butta55

I don't have a problem with it but it's not something I would want to happen in my life. The idea equality is great but it's not plausible. Men and women's minds work differently. That's a fact.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

I don't have a problem with it but it's not something I would want to happen in my life. The idea equality is great but it's not plausible. Men and women's minds work differently. That's a fact.

You mean how we communicate in English and they communicate in smoke signals? :corn:

I don't think it's a big deal....

But I just think it's just a sign of how pussified America is becoming lmao.

Pussy because one person who loves another person got down on one knee and purposed. Lmao :yao:

• Upvote 1