Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

TGP Primary Poll: Republicans

20 members have voted

1. 1. As of today, who would you vote for?

• Jeb Bush
    • Ben Carson
    • Chris Christie
    • Ted Cruz
    • Carly Fiorina
    • Mike Huckabee
    • John Kasich
    • Rand Paul
    • Marco Rubio
    • Donald Trump
    • Scott Walker
    • Other

Yeah at this point the only hope for a non-moronic candidate is someone being put up at the convention against the people's will. Which at that point it wouldn't matter anyway, as Trump will run 3rd party and end any chance the Repubs have of winning.

Guest Phailadelphia

Yeah at this point the only hope for a non-moronic candidate is someone being put up at the convention against the people's will. Which at that point it wouldn't matter anyway, as Trump will run 3rd party and end any chance the Repubs have of winning.

Agree with this. The GOP deciding the candidate at a brokered convention would look a lot like GOP elites picking the candidate against their voters' will, which is anathema to what the Republican Party preaches to their voters.

Agree with this. The GOP deciding the candidate at a brokered convention would look a lot like GOP elites picking the candidate against their voters' will, which is anathema to what the Republican Party preaches to their voters.

Though it'd obviously be in everyone's best interest to do that.

Edited by BJORN

So, without trying to get too political because at the end of the day, for better or for worse I don't really care... Can someone please explain to me this delegates nonsense? I get what they are, but why is this a thing?

Can someone explain to me the need for these delegates and super delegates as if I was a 5 year old? Illustrated pictures and cut outs I can color in would be appreciated. :yep:

Good, fuck Rick Scott.

A delegate is basically someone who represents a majorities interest. When you're voting, you're actually deciding who your delegate is going to vote for. Every state has different rules on how they divide the delegates depending on how much of the vote they got, whether they got 50+%, or failed to mean an arbitrary cutoff point. Now a super delegate is an establishment candidate who gets to vote based on who ever they want to. Often times they'll side with the majority vote, but they can pledge for whomever they want during the process.

I would argue that there isn't really a need for this system, and it is by far the worst way for an ostensible democracy to handle their election process.

Just regarding the overall voting and election system, one of the reasons I like Sanders so much is because he seems to be a candidate who will give us a breath of fresh air. It really seems like he's genuine and passionate about America, and that he isn't controlled by the party or by corporations.

Trevor Noah is actually really fucking brilliant as host of The Daily Show. I find myself watching it more now then I ever have (part of that too is all the Presidential chaos).

Trevor Noah is actually really fucking brilliant as host of The Daily Show. I find myself watching it more now then I ever have (part of that too is all the Presidential chaos).

Even though I'm liberal, I always enjoyed Jon Stewart because while he's obviously liberal, he never quite displayed it like Noah does, and that made it seem less like a propaganda program.

• Upvote 1

Even though I'm liberal, I always enjoyed Jon Stewart because while he's obviously liberal, he never quite displayed it like Noah does, and that made it seem less like a propaganda program.

I agree totally. I always liked Jon Stewart because no matter what we agreed or disagreed on, he presented in a way that it didn't really matter and it was still entertaining. I do not like Noah one bit. To be fair, however, I have only given him a couple of chances.

I agree totally. I always liked Jon Stewart because no matter what we agreed or disagreed on, he presented in a way that it didn't really matter and it was still entertaining. I do not like Noah one bit. To be fair, however, I have only given him a couple of chances.

I would say that when it comes to one liners, Noah is much funnier. Stewart got laughs out of making statements seem awkward and using his facial expressions and vocal inflection. Noah is more openly witty and much more likely to get people laughing hysterically with a great one-liner.

But we're back at square one. The Daily Show is now pure liberal propaganda. They are right a lot of the time when it comes to racism and sexism, but they're not toeing that line very effectively when it comes to gray area stuff.

Edited by BwareDWare94

One of the things I loved about Stewart was that even though he is obviously very liberal and the show definitely leaned that way (leaned may be an understatement) he was always willing to call out democrats when they were being dipshits. I'm not sure if that's translated, or if it would even come up at this point since the Republican primary is giving them more than enough material, but Stewart really gave the show a politically independent feel in spite of the clear ideological bend.

Edited by oochymp

Ted Cruz: Crowd at New York City GOP Gala Appears to Ignore Candidate's Speech, Report Says
The crowd appeared distracted as Cruz spoke Thursday at the Grand Hyatt hotel in Midtown Manhattan, while several guests were also seen leaving the room as he took the podium, NBC News reported.

Of the 5 remaining candidates, I can't believe 4 of them actually have a chance at being President.

CckxLN3UMAA4pSP.jpg

When making a reference to the Hoosiers in a speech in Indiana, Ted Cruz referred to the "basketball ring". Pundits say this could actually hurt him in the Indiana Primary. Ha.

Ted Cruz to Name Carly Fiorina as His Running Mate - The New York Times

INDIANAPOLIS — Senator Ted Cruz of Texas, desperate to alter the course of a presidential primary fight in which Donald J. Trump is closing in on victory, will announce Wednesday afternoon that Carly Fiorina will be his running mate if he wins the Republican nomination, two campaign advisers confirmed.
The move, a day after Mr. Trump scored unexpectedly wide victory margins in sweeping five East Coast states, amounts to the grandest diversionary tactic a presidential candidate can stage — or at least the grandest one available to a candidate trailing by about 400 delegates who failed to win more than 25 percent of the vote in any state on Tuesday.
Mr. Cruz’s decision to rush out a vice-presidential pick before next week’s primary in Indiana, which is becoming make-or-break for his candidacy, was the political equivalent of a student pulling a fire alarm to avoid an exam: It was certain to draw attention and carried the possibility of meeting its immediate goal, but seemed unlikely to forestall the eventual reckoning.

This is such a desperation move. I feel like this will hurt him more than it helps, just like I feel the Cruz-Kasich alliance will hurt more than it helps. Trump looks like the good guy here.

I really hate Ted Cruz. I know this will sound awful, but I'd honestly rather it be Clinton vs. Trump than Cruz having any shot at winning the general election.

Edited by OSUViking