11 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Cowboys do at QB?

• Move forward with Old Weed
    • Sign Christian Ponder
    • Sign Matt Flynn
    • Trade for RG3
    • Trade for Matt Cassel
    • Sulk in the corner, crying

With the re-breaking of Tony Romo's left clavicle, the Dallas Cowboys are in line for a rough stretch if they can't at least get mediocre QB play. The role of Dallas' QB is going to be obvious--don't turn the ball over. They appear to have a very good defense and simply don't need someone to come in and be a gunslinger. Let's take a look at their options, moving forward.

In House:

Brandon Weeden--he's got every physical tool to be a good NFL quarterback. What has let him down in the past is between the ears. Dallas will need to start him for at least 2 games, anyway, so it'll be interesting to see how he fares with the best coaching he's ever had and good weapons all over the field.

FA:

Christian Ponder--If Dallas wants to go short pass, ball control on offense, Christian Ponder has the smarts and mobility to be adequate so long as they don't expect him to throw deep. He showed flashes in Minnesota when given good pass protection, so there are plenty of reasons to at least ink him to a deal and see what happens.

Matt Flynn- He seems to only excel in Green Bay, so this option isn't great but, you know, Matt Flynn does exist.

Trade:

RG3--It'd be impossible to listen to sports talk for the immediate future if Jerry made this trade, but what a perfect situation for Robert Griffin III. He gets to spot start when Tony inevitably gets hurt and he gets to learn from one of the best QBs in the game for a few years before having the keys handed to him.

Matt Cassel--Cassel is a good leader who would take control of the huddle and put confidence in his teammates with his demeanor, but despite all of his atypical QB traits, his TD:INT ratio in recent years is embarrassing. Nevertheless, he might be a fair option.

Who They Should go With:

I say trade for Cassel and give Weeden a shot while Cassel learns the offense. If Weeden fails, Cassel is more than serviceable with good pass protection.

I remember in Jerruh's post game interview he said something which made me believe he was going out to get another QB (well, not to mention I believe Romo and Weeden are our only options).

It'll just be a matter of who. I don't really have a preference. Not a fan of Matt Flynn, though.

RGIII is really the only option that is really worth a damn, IMO. Even then you really do not know how well that will go, of course. Will you get the same old RGIII because he's ruined or still (reportedly) just concerned about his image outside of football? Or will you get a rejuvenated, back to rookie year RGIII who could actually be Romo's replacement and be a genius move? How much will you have to give up to get Snyder to release his death grip?

IMO, outside of Snyder asking for ridiculous compensation, I'd do it. Romo isn't getting any younger and the potential there is worth it.

The rest of the options? Are they really that much better than Weeden who knows the system, has some sort of rapport with the WRs and OLS? IMO, no.

So if it were me, I'd see what Synder's asking price is, or just roll with Weeden. All of the other pieces, for the most part, are there. Arguably the best OL in football, some good receiving options despite Dez being out, and an adequate defense who could rise to the challenge in helping to pick up some of the slack.

honestly, I'd be even more worried about RG3 if the Redskins were willing to trade him to a division rival

I really don't see a trade as likely at this point because it takes two teams willing to deal and it's really tough to put together an adequate package mid-season to replace the value of having a reliable backup

I would take Mike Glennon in a heartbeat.

I would take Mike Glennon in a heartbeat.

First, let me say, you can have him. Gladly. Get something nice and shiny in return.

That said, no you don't. lol

They should trade for Bradford. :yao:

• Upvote 2

First, let me say, you can have him. Gladly. Get something nice and shiny in return.

That said, no you don't. lol

He's not a bad quarterback. Better than most backups and a few starters.

Cowboys to bring in Ponder, Flynn, and Josh Johnson for looks. I assume they'll sign Ponder because he's essentially a mobile Matt Flynn.

I'm so late to this thread and the first?

f358c69a5b6520d_FACEBOOK.jpg

I thought about it, but nobody had mentioned Tebow and I think he's much more likely if only because he's a free agent

Also, as I said I'd be surprised if they find a trade partner just because of the value of a reliable backup, though we do have Whitehurst, who I wouldn't like to see forced into a starting role, but he wouldn't be a terrible #2

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000536885/article/cowboys-trade-for-bills-qb-matt-cassel

Cowboys trade for Bills QB Matt Cassel

The Dallas Cowboys are making a run on quarterbacks.

Dallas traded for Bills quarterback Matt Cassel on Tuesday, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, according to a source informed for the move. The news came just minutes after Rapoport reported that the Cowboys promoted Kellen Moore to the active roster from their practice squad.

Around the NFL will have more on this story as it develops.

interesting move promoting the practice squad guy, probably means Cassel will be inactive this week because the only benefit to having him on the real roster is if they plan on suiting him up, makes sense to want a backup that's had more than four days in the system

The Cowboys are fucked and it feels oh so good.

Your QB depth chart includes....

Brandon Weeden

Kellen Moore

Matt Cassel

There is a world of hurt about to be wrought down upon thee.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3237/matt-cassel

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that "some around the league believe it's only a matter of time" before Matt Cassel supplants Brandon Weeden as the Cowboys' starter.

This isn't a shock at all. The Cowboys have very little confidence in Weeden, no matter that they were saying publicly this past week. The only reason Cassel isn't starting now is because he doesn't know the playbook. Weeden hasn't won a game as a starting quarterback since December 2012. The Cowboys will have to piece this together for the next two months while Tony Romo (clavicle) is out.