Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Megatron Retires

Report: Lions' Calvin Johnson is mulling retirement after nine seasons - CBSSports.com

Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson is 30 years old. He's played nine seasons in the NFL. And he has recently told some former teammates that he is considering retirement, according to the Detroit Free Press.
"There has been some conversations about it, not asking me how it is," said one former teammate who asked to remain anonymous, per the Free Press. "But I think the guy's beat up. I think he's been through enough. And I think it's just his time. He's made the money, got the records, but whatever. I don't know for sure if he's going to do it. I don't know if he's going to get that itch to keep going. I really don't know."

https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/684817173454434304?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

very non-commital, and I think it's probably very normal to at least consider hanging it up after nine years and he's dealt with injuries the last couple seasons, but it's hard to think he couldn't still be productive for at least a few more years, he also still has four years left on his current contract, so while he's certainly made plenty of money already he'd still be walking away from a lot more
Edited by Favre4Ever

He could be productive... But I don't know if he can hold on much longer. If he wants to preserve his body and legacy... Retiring may just be the best option. The numbers are still there, mostly... But just watch him play. Everything is just a lot harder for him and he just looks defeated and beat up. Maybe that's obvious when it comes to age 30 guys, but I can see it in him more than most.

In the best interest of the Packers, I vote Calvin Johnson into retirement.

• Upvote 1

Would be interesting, but when you see guys like Patrick Willis retiring in their prime...it could become a thing.

I can get why he would be leaning towards retiring. He's been elite for so long, and he realizes how small the window is for winning a championship with the Lions. Getting older and knowing your time line is almost up until your no longer Megatron.

If I'm the Lions, I do him the favor and trade or release and give him a chance to win a ring somewhere else.

Can't see him retiring. As much as I would like him out of the division, he can easily be a #1 receiver in this league for 3 more years. His pure size alone is enough to cause matchup problems. There may be other things on his mind than football. If he was the competitive win at any cost type then he would be angling to leave for another team. But a legacy in Detroit and a healthy life could mean more to him....in that case I can't fault him for hanging them up if he does.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14686284/calvin-johnson-told-detroit-lions-plans-retire

Sources: Calvin Johnson told Lions he plans to retire

Detroit Lions star receiver Calvin Johnson told his family and a close circle of friends before last season that 2015 would be his final year in the NFL, and he delivered the same message to coach Jim Caldwell the day after the regular season ended, sources told ESPN.

Caldwell told Johnson not to rush his decision -- to take his time, sources told ESPN. Out of respect to Caldwell, Johnson agreed to do just that, according to sources.

The Lions have not given up hope that Johnson could change his mind, but one person who knows Johnson well said, "He's pretty content with his decision."

After nine seasons in the NFL, Johnson's body is beaten down. The five-time Pro Bowler has battled lingering ankle injuries and general body soreness to the point that it makes it difficult for him to return for another season during which time he would turn 31 years old.

Johnson's body has been so sore, and his conviction so strong, that he shared his decision to retire after the 2015 season with only two teammates -- quarterback Matthew Stafford and linebacker Stephen Tulloch, with the request that they keep it private and confidential, according to sources.

Stafford and Tulloch honored the request, and the rest of the Lions organization did not learn of Johnson's plans to retire until after this season, according to sources. At that time, the Lions issued a statement from Johnson that said, "Like many players at this stage of their career, I am currently evaluating options for my future. I would expect to have a decision regarding this matter in the not-too-distant future."

The Lions, in turn, said, "We obviously have profound respect for Calvin and certainly understand and appreciate his decision to give proper thought and consideration to his football future."

But unless Johnson has the change of heart that the Lions still are hoping for but many are not expecting, one of the greatest players in franchise history is likely to walk away from the game.

Johnson played in all 16 games this past season, hauling in 88 receptions for 1,214 yards and nine touchdowns. It was his sixth consecutive 1,000-yard season and the seventh of his career.

The No. 2 overall pick in the 2007 draft, Johnson had his best year in 2012, when he set the NFL single-season record with 1,964 receiving yards. He is the Lions' all-time franchise leader in career receptions (731) and receiving yards (11,619).

Losing can do that, as well wanting to stay heathly after football. I wonder if he would come back after a year away.

If he did, would he still be under the Lions or free to choose any team?

I wonder if he would come back after a year away.

If he did, would he still be under the Lions or free to choose any team?

There's a reserve/retired list that teams can place on their players. They retain their rights if the player tries to make a comeback. Only if the Lions outright release him would he be a free agent. (Not a likely scenario)

Dayum. We already lost Patrick Willis in this generation. Sad to see him hang it up early, but I hope he does well in retirement.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, he is probably done for good. Question is, is he a hall of famer?

• Downvote 2

Yeah, he is probably done for good. Question is, is he a hall of famer?

If he isn't, who is? Megatron is one of the most, if not the most, dominant wideouts of all time. Only Moss can really compare to his physical abilities. He was also putting up those statlines on a team that at one point was 0-16 and had Dan Orlovsky as the starting QB. Stafford has never been terrible, but it's still amazing that Calvin nearly passed 2000 yards receiving with him. He's a first ballot HoFer and there is no doubt about it.

Maybe a year in retirement and he could pull a james harrison? maybe by then the Lions would be just a guy like Calvin away from making a run.

maybe by then the Lions would be just a guy like Calvin away from making a run.

:rog:

• Upvote 1

Smart guy if you ask me. Get out while your body is still in one piece. I don't think any more seasons of playing in Detroit, with the current state of the team/division, would have done anything for his legacy.

If he isn't, who is? Megatron is one of the most, if not the most, dominant wideouts of all time. Only Moss can really compare to his physical abilities. He was also putting up those statlines on a team that at one point was 0-16 and had Dan Orlovsky as the starting QB. Stafford has never been terrible, but it's still amazing that Calvin nearly passed 2000 yards receiving with him. He's a first ballot HoFer and there is no doubt about it.

if you look at the numbers I think it's actually a closer call than you think

Megatron is #27 in career receiving yards, putting him behind the likes of Jimmy Smith, Hines Ward, and Derrick Mason, good receivers, but I'm not sure anyone's arguing for them to make the HOF (maybe Smith and Ward)

He's #43 on the all-time receptions list, which puts him in the company of Donald Driver, Santana Moss, and Joey Galloway

He's #22 on the all-time receiving TD list, right behind Hines Ward, Irving Fryar, and Andre Rison

he had 2 seasons with more than 1500 receiving yards - for comparison, Marvin Harrison had 3 and Torry Holt had 2, neither are in the HOF (yet)

What's interesting is that his statline is eerily similar to Michael Irvin's:

Johnson: 731 receptions for 11619 yards (15.9 ypc) 83 TDs

Irvin: 750 receptions for 11904 (15.9 ypc) 65 TDs

Johnson's ahead in TDs, but he also doesn't have the playoff resume (if that matters, which it does to some, though it also cuts the other way in that, like you said, Johnson was doing it on a shitty team) Johnson also has the advantage of having put up those numbers in 9 years rather than 12

If he'd stuck around another year or two and risen in some of those all-time lists I think he'd be a no brainer (if you assume next season he'd split his numbers of the last two, that'd add about 1150 yards, 80 receptions, and 8 TDs, which would put him at #20 (Art Monk) 33 (Keyshawn Johnson) and 12 (Isaac Bruce) respectively) I still think he gets in, but I don't think it's as much of a given

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 2

Stafford may as well retire now too.

Great career for Megatron considering all the trash around him and the trash QB throwing to him. Wish him the best.

Great stat dig, Oochy. I'd argue that the perception of a player is a lot more important than the statistics at the end of their career. Megatron is insane to be that high on the list after nine years anyways. For around 3 years I don't think there was any doubt that Megatron was the #1 WR in the game. Despite having almost no offense around him and being on perhaps the shittiest stretch of any modern era NFL team he still put up immaculate numbers and left no doubt who was the best. Jerry Rice played for about 18 productive years with some of the greatest QBs of all time. Calvin has halved his numbers in half that time with some of the worst offenses around.

Great stat dig, Oochy. I'd argue that the perception of a player is a lot more important than the statistics at the end of their career. Megatron is insane to be that high on the list after nine years anyways. For around 3 years I don't think there was any doubt that Megatron was the #1 WR in the game. Despite having almost no offense around him and being on perhaps the shittiest stretch of any modern era NFL team he still put up immaculate numbers and left no doubt who was the best. Jerry Rice played for about 18 productive years with some of the greatest QBs of all time. Calvin has halved his numbers in half that time with some of the worst offenses around.

I suppose there's one other number worth looking at if we're comparing Johnson to Irvin (which I think is interesting because of how close their numbers are) and that's what their team was doing, specifically how much they threw the ball. Going in I have no idea how the numbers are actually going to bear out, but I suspect the Lions threw more passes per season while Megatron was on the roster than the Cowboys did with Irvin because (i) the league has become more pass happy and (ii) Irvin was on the same team as one of the best (or at least most used) RBs to play the game, but Irvin played three more seasons so he should end up ahead in total. Now enough preamble, let's get to the stats:

Megatron played from 2007 through 2015, nine seasons of which he led Detroit in receiving seven times

In those nine seasons, Detroit threw the ball 4731 times (roughly 525 times a season)

Irvin played from 1988 through 1999, twelve seasons of which he led Dallas in receiving eight times

In those twelve seasons, Dallas threw the ball 5971 times (roughly 498 times a season)

well, that didn't shake out quite like I was expecting, Megatron's teams have thrown the ball more, but not by that much, 27 per season translates to a bit over an extra throw and a half per game, so definitely still impressive to accumulate the stats in three fewer years, and with a much lesser supporting cast

Whoa there folks. I should of elaborated on where my question came from. In the general public, do you think he's a HOFer?

Due to his stats and other wrs in history. He's a HOFER to me

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Lions informed coaching candidates during their 2014 search of "concerns doctors had for [Calvin] Johnson's longevity and the condition of his ankles."

This means the Lions have known any season could be Johnson's last for at least the last two years, and yet they still failed to adequately address the position in the last two drafts, which were two of the best receiver classes in recent memory. Dealing with real health concerns, all indications are Johnson is serious about retirement. He just turned 30 in September.
Source: ESPN

Golden Tate said Calvin Johnson's "body just isn't holding up."

"When the rumors came out he was going to leave Detroit...I thought it might have been a money thing, or his contract was up, is what I initially thought. Because he showed up to work as the same Calvin that we've always known," Tate said. "But his body just isn't holding up." The Lions have reportedly had concerns about Johnson's ankles for several seasons. He missed three games and was limited in others with a high-ankle sprain in 2014, and his practice time was scaled back because of ankle issues last season. Dealing with real health concerns, it is not surprising Johnson is seriously considering retirement.
Source: MLive.com

That was one of Jerry Rice's best attributes... His durability which was incredible combined with being able to maintain his natural attributes for a long time. You can argue that maybe 3-4 wide receivers in the league history played at the level of Jerry Rice but wasn't able to maintain that level of play for as long as Rice did. Rice prime lasted for ages.

Megatron will get into the Hall. Even though he didn't reach certain staple bench marks milestones (100 TDs, 13,000 receiving yards) because of a short career, others have gotten in with less. He will get in due to sheer dominance and the incredible seasons he put up. I am convinced that no receiver moving forward will be able to get in 1st ballot ever due to the fact that the 2nd-3rd best receiver in league history (hands down) didn't get in the Hall his first go round. AB is making a great case for himself if he keeps up his rate of play/production but... how doesn't 153 TDs and 15.9k receiving yards qualify for 1st ballot? /random rant over.

Edited by Dutch
  • Upvote 1