Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

Most underrated player(s) on your team's roster

I feel as though we at TGP know a lot about every NFL team, which is what makes this message board above the rest compared to the other poser bitches. With that said, I'd like to hear y'alls opinions are on who on your favorite team's roster is the most underrated in your eyes from the media and/or just the general Joe Schmo football fan.

With OTAs going on and training camp approaching, I'd really like to focus on some players that aren't getting enough love around the league. Here's where you can stake your claim. Whether it's a Special Teams ace or a fringe starter with the potential to break out, I'm all ears. You can mention more than one player if you choose, but it's not necessary.

I'll start it off for my Texans...

:Texans:

FS Andre Hal

-A true underdog story. 7th round pick cornerback out of Vanderbilt in 2014. His rookie year he was a solid reserve corner and made some splash plays here and there in his limited playing time. In 2015, O'Brien decided to make him change positions to safety, and it looks like that definitely could be the best decision he has made since becoming the Texans' head coach from a personnel perspective.

You could tell the transition was tough for Hal at first, but by the end of last season he really started coming into his own in this defense. He was in my opinion the most underrated Texan of 2015, and I'm excited see him build upon that for this season.

ILB Brian Peters

-This guy makes Hal's story seem like a walk in the park. He bounced around the UFL and CFL taking his lumps before getting his shot in the NFL. There were plenty of moments where he could've given up on his dream, and no one would've blamed him. Between all the cuts and waiting for his shot on Practice Squads, the Texans eventually claimed him from the Vikings' Practice Squad last season after a solid preseason showing. This guy is truly relentless to say the least.

While only playing 12 games with the Texans last season, he tied the league-high for the 2015 season with a whopping 17 STs tackles! If there's one phase of the Texans that needed the most improvement, it was definitely Special Teams. (Coverage and returns) Hopefully with the new hire of Larry Izzo as Special Teams coordinator, drafting some fast skill players with return-ability, and Peters in coverage, this STs unit can for once be a strength for the Texans.

Some good read articles on Peters if you're interested:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/62824/special-teams-as-a-gateway-is-nothing-new-for-brian-peters

http://m.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Special-teamer-Brian-Peters-upbeat-about-future-6891236.php

Okay guys sorry for the long post, but I'm just really excited to see what you guys have to share on your respective teams. I love me some underdog stories. :D

Special Teams Gawd Todd Davis at inside linebacker. Not sure if he'll be starting this year, but we've made special teams guys into good starters before.

It's definitely hard to have underrated players when your team is coming off a super bowl win, but Shaq Barrett is legitimately good as a pass rusher, and having him as depth with Shane Ray is ridiculous

One more special teams' gawd for you, Kayvon Webster. You saw him make some big plays during our playoff run, but he's fast, physical, aggressive and you can't ask for much more out of a 4th cornerback. Really impressed by this kid..

Rams. Rodney McLeod was one, but he sadly gone :(. Very solid starter. TJ McDonald is pretty underrated. Alec Ogletree. William Hayes. Eugene Sims.

Bengals. Reggie Nelson rarely got the love he deserved before leaving but he was a beast. Iloka not too bad either. Vincent Rey was one of if not the best LB on the roster but for some reason didn't get nearly enough credit as he deserved. Carlos Dunlap is a top 10 DE in the NFL. Athletic beast.

Pacman as a PR is ridiculous as well.

Bennie Logan. I can't wait to see him in Schwartz's defense. I always thought he was playing out of place in our 2 gap 3-4. I think he's going to really flourish once he gets to go out and be in attack mode.

• Upvote 1

:Raiders:

David Amerson, wasn't shit with the Redskins, but has turned things around since arriving in Oakland. Has potential to end up being a really good corner under Norton's tutelage...having Rod Woodson will make a difference as well.

Gabe Jackson, a mauler through and through. Doesn't get much love because he's an o-lineman and a guard at that, but he's reliable and always comes to play every game.

Marcel Reese, he dropped some weight and plays FB but he is an exceptional in pass pro and always an option coming out of the backfield.

nobody, I think the few decent players we have get adequate respect

nobody, I think the few decent players we have get adequate respect

I don't see Delanie Walker or Derrick Morgan get much respect but some more savvy people like to talk about them as solid players. True?

Edited by Chernobyl426

I don't see Delanie Walker or Derrick Morgan get much respect but some more savvy people like to talk about them as solid players. True?

Walker was a pro-bowler last year, albeit an injury replacement there, but a pro-bowler nonetheless, he should have been voted in and wasn't, so maybe that justifies calling him underrated, but most people who know the team know he's a very good player, also worth noting: he just signed a two year, $14M extension, which puts him #12 in average at the position

Morgan is tough, because he probably is better than most people realize, but he's had trouble staying healthy and he doesn't have the sack numbers he should (if memory serves he's generally pretty high up in pressure stats) so I can understand why people wouldn't get too much respect, he also recently signed a 4 year, $27M contract, which puts him in the top 20 OLBs in average, which feels about right

Great Thead, dude. I was thinking about something like this the other day.

:Vikings:

Xavier Rhodes (CB)--this dude gets treated like he's a middle of the pack corner, but he's easily in the top 20, if not top 15, in the entire league. He is not a shutdown corner for opposing #1s, but he will limit that player and minimize his effect on the game. Case in point against the Falcons last year, in a year where Julio Jones is tearing new assholes into every corner he faces. Xavier holds him under 60 yards. This guy is the real deal. Every NFC North team has a great young corner on their roster. Rhodes, Slay, Fuller, Randall. It's a stacked division at #1 CB.

Mycole Pruitt/Rhett Elison (TE)--Rudolph scores the touchdowns but these two dudes open up the running game. The only major difference between them is that Pruitt could develop into the dual threat TE who makes Rudolph expendable. Elison is a better blocker, and his catches are so rare that they generally end up as big gains. Two good, very under-the-radar players.

Jerick McKinnon (RB)--Some people know how good this guy is, but most don't even know he exists. Jerick McKinnon is a great North and South runner whose explosiveness makes him a threat to score from anywhere on the field. As a pure running back, he hits the hole instantly and maximizes his carries.

Marcus Sherels (CB/PR)--Sherels is all guts and grit, consistently setting the Vikings up with good field position with his punt returing duties, and often stepping in at CB when guys get banged up.

Adam Thielen (WR/ST)--Thielen has developed into a special teams stud in his pair of years with the Vikings, and has also made his way into the WR rotation. He's big, fast, and sure-handed. While he'll never be a #1 WR, he is a dark horse playmaker. The guy you never expect. He's also a product of Detroit Lakes, MN, which is nice.

How'd I know this dude would have at least 5 players on this list? lol I'm honestly surprised it wasn't more. I disagree on Rhodes though. I heard Fox Pre-game shows talk about him as one of the best up and coming young corners out there. As a matter of fact, most times the Vikings get talked about Rhodes gets talked about with the way that defense played last year. It's not ALL about Peterson anymore. Rhodes is widely regarded as one of the 3 best players on that defense.

• Upvote 1

Ya, Xavier Rhodes does not qualify as underrated at this point. You hear his name on every broadcast, on pre-game shows, multiple times each Vikings defensive series...For the most part, I think the Packers players worth talking about and worth the praise get it...

If I had to pick a couple, the first would be Corey Linsley. Dude has been a great center from Day 1.There was a point where Aaron and the Packers had a new center every year over 3-4 years which was terrible. Getting Corey was a huge boost and I hope he anchors the line for the rest of Aaron's career.

Maybe Micah Hyde, as well. He gets some attention, but he doesn't have a true spot on the defense but is instead that jack of all trades kind of guy. He plays that S / CB hybrid and does it well. You will hear his name sometimes but not enough, in my opinion. He can do anything we ask of him and he does a solid job at doing it. Just an all around solid player, hard worker, great teammate.

It's hard to underrate a guy who does stuff like this though:

So ya, like I said.. I think guys mostly get the attention they deserve. Maybe a little more here or there, but overall good stuff.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Fucking Bware lol.

I'd say Malcolm Butler and Matthew Slater for the Pats. I think most people just look at Butler as the guy who had the GW interception in SB 49, but don't really know how good he is. And Slater is probably one of the best ST'ers the Pats have ever had. Guy has an extremely good work ethic and he's one of the best leaders on the team, as well. He is a 5x Pro Bowler and 3x First Team All Pro, but despite that, I don't think he's really too highly regarded outside of New England.

I don't feel like anyone on the Chargers is currently underrated aside from maybe old man Gates, who still has good ability for his age. Hopefully, Melvin Gordon is underrated due to how bad our offensive scheme and line was last year. (I'm skeptical)

Andrew Norwell, OG.

Norwell is a great guard and most people only seem to know about Ryan Kalil and Trai Turner on our O-line being any good.

Star Lotulelei, DT

This guy is a genuine stud, he just doesn't rack up the stats to let people figure that out. He's constantly taking on double teams and clearing space for Short and others to rack up those stats. He definitely gets some attention, but not enough for the type of player he is.

I would have included Kony Ealy, but I think his SB performance put him on the map.

• Upvote 1

:jags:

Brandon Linder, C

I think people forgot about the former OG now starting Center who is a big reason I'm a little higher on the Jags OL than most this year. Yeah, position change but he's played it in the preseason and college before (as well as OT in college—he does it all) and did good and he's the Jags best lineman who was out pretty much all last year so people forgot how good he was as a rookie at Guard. Expect Bortles to look a lot more comfortable this year with a good Center for the first time in his career because despite his rep coming in Wiz was a disappointment last year especially in run blocking. He gave no push, hence Jags goalline running issues (along with missing Linder) and he even had problems snapping the ball over Bortles head (costing them a chance to tie/win a game) and to his side, stuff a vet should just not be having issues with.

A.J. Cann, OG

Rookie last year quietly got better and better as the year went on having to takeover starting for Linder at RG. Out the gate he was good at what he was in college in run blocking and mauling dudes. Had some early rookie pass protection moments, learned and fixed them quickly exceeding his expectations. He did so good they're going to keep him at RG and move Linder to Center so their two best lineman on the field together. Seems like Caldwell's 3rd round OL picks in back-to-back years are at least solid doubles with potential to be homeruns.

:Vikings:

Blair Waaaa

Blair Waaaaa

Blair Waaaaaaa

For some reason, when I try to type his name, after so many letters I can only hit the letter furthest to the left.

• Upvote 1

Blair Walsh so shook about missing wide right that he sent it the other way.

Im not someone who cares too much for slot corners as I think they are always overrated when discussing overall abilities but...

Quandre Diggs wss an absolute stud for the Lions down the stretch. I really hope he can pick up where he left off.

Offensively IDK if hed be considered underrated but Theo Riddick is the man.

I'm having a hard time thinking of someone on the Bucs who is really underrated. Maybe one of last year's rookies on the OL, Donovan Smith or Ali Marpet. I liked how they played as rookies.

Lavonte David is highly underrated. He's in the top-3 OLBs in the league, only last year did he get recognition.

Edited by Thanatos

This time last year I would've said Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan... well... shit. Guess they got recognized.

RZ already mentioned Todd Davis and Kayvon Webster. Webster was arguably one of the top performers on the team during the playoff run... he seemed to make a huge play on special teams every game.

I feel like Derek Wolfe and Brandon Marshall deserve some mention here. While they're talked about quite a bit in Broncos circles (and here a bit), I don't think they get the national attention they deserve. Marshall has tallied over a hundred tackles in each of the last two years, with and without Trevathan beside him. He's gone from a journeyman castoff to being molded into one of the premier ILBs in the game imo. Last year he showed amazing improvement in pass defense too, really becoming an every down player that we relied on.

Our defense was great before Wolfe came back from the BS suspension, but when he got on the field it became something else. No one could run the ball and pockets were getting crushed. Wolfe was showing he was really healthy again after his health scares. He has the highest motor on the defense, and yes that includes Von Miller. He really does play a lot like JJ Watt (I think it was Farty or Bay who made that comparison initially, and I totally agree).

If I HAD to pick someone from the offensive side of the ball, I guess you could say Emmanuel Sanders. He's easily the fastest player on the team, and imo the more reliable receiver over DT in recent years. Despite what a certain hater here thinks of him, he's an awesome player. :whistle:

Vinny Curry is well known around places like this but doesn't get a lot of recognition by national outlets like ESPN and NFL network. He hasn't gotten the playing time he deserves but he will this year. He's going to dominate in Jim Schwartz's defense.

• Upvote 1

I don't think people realize just how dominant Sammy Watkins is when healthy.

Fletcher Cox dude hardly gets recognition by the league

And lions isn't my favorite team but DeAndre Levy very underrated

For the Giants I would actually say Devon Kennard

As we know the defence played like shite last year and the LB Corps is horrible possibly one of the worst in the league, however when Kennard wasn't injured he managed and controlled the group well and was able to make some big plays that made the defence look better when he was in.

If he stays healthy he has a pretty bright future.

• Upvote 1