Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Louisiana passes "Blue Lives Matter" law

I hate the police in our country, not because of the racism, the unnecessary murders, etc. But the whole reason they exist is a lie. They aren't here to protect us, they are here to keep us in line and from disobeying our government. As well as make them money.

But the killings are definitely awful and something has to be done about it for sure. We need to hold cops accountable for their actions, claiming fear for their lives isn't an excuse for murder. I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I have an answer, but something has to change. As awful as the Dallas shootings were, it's showing you that people are growing sick of it and the divide between the American people and their law enforcement is continuing to grow.

If you think the vast majority of cops aren't here to protect us, you're just as silly as Cherry.

If you think the vast majority of cops aren't here to protect us, you're just as silly as Cherry.

Cause I would take my 3 second response time over a cop with a 10 minute response time. So silly. :shrug:

What do cops protect us from? If someone is breaking into your house, is there a cop to protect us? I've never felt safe because there was a cop around, even if I was doing absolutely nothing around I'm nervous because an armed government thug is here to watch over us and keep us in check. The police are here to force the will of our government on us and punish us for not obeying. Seat belt laws are a good example. Sure, if you're smart you should wear a seat belt while driving but why is it people are okay with the government FORCING us to wear them for our own good, and if we choose not to we are forced to pay them even more of our money (even though they steal more than enough money from us via taxes), and if we refuse to pay our government overlords they send their pig police in to put you in a damn cage. Really protecting us, eh?

Btw, I'm not saying the police are not capable of doing good for people and the community but their role and service is not as a protector of the people. That is one of the biggest lies that people are brainwashed into believing. They are straight up here to bully you into obeying our law makers. There needs to be less laws and the police need to have less authority over the people. Until that happens, the idea of us really being free is a lie.

• Upvote 1

Cause I would take my 3 second response time over a cop with a 10 minute response time. So silly. :shrug:

Was talking about your naive assertion that racism isn't a problem in the police force actually.

But yeah, your scenario that almost never happens and is your basis for owning guns is also pretty silly, thanks for mentioning that.

What do cops protect us from? If someone is breaking into your house, is there a cop to protect us? I've never felt safe because there was a cop around, even if I was doing absolutely nothing around I'm nervous because an armed government thug is here to watch over us and keep us in check. The police are here to force the will of our government on us and punish us for not obeying. Seat belt laws are a good example. Sure, if you're smart you should wear a seat belt while driving but why is it people are okay with the government FORCING us to wear them for our own good, and if we choose not to we are forced to pay them even more of our money (even though they steal more than enough money from us via taxes), and if we refuse to pay our government overlords they send their pig police in to put you in a damn cage. Really protecting us, eh?

Btw, I'm not saying the police are not capable of doing good for people and the community but their role and service is not as a protector of the people. That is one of the biggest lies that people are brainwashed into believing. They are straight up here to bully you into obeying our law makers. There needs to be less laws and the police need to have less authority over the people. Until that happens, the idea of us really being free is a lie.

You realize you're saying this about two days after an incident where the police protected a bunch of BLM protesters from getting shot with sniper fire- they weren't the primary target, sure, but crossfire is a thing- and five of them laid down their lives to do so.

Cops primary role is to protect the people, not "straight up bully us" into obeying our lawmakers.

If you aren't wearing your seatbelt, you're one dumb fucker. Even if you're just going down the street. Had a friend of a friend that nearly died when she was hit in the back by someone while she was stopped at a red light and was thrown partially through the windshield of her truck, because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt. She was going down to the store that was 2 minutes away, so she said she didn't think she needed it.

This isn't something to fuck around with, just like you don't drink and drive even if you're just going down the street, despite what Sean and some others of you guys think. Government passing laws to save lives is perfectly okay with me. There is literally no reason not to wear a seatbelt unless you're legally cleared not to- you're too small- except for the fact that it can be uncomfortable. Put your damn seatbelt on. Don't leave your friends and family wishing you had.

Edited by Thanatos

My scenario that never happens... If crime were so rare that people wouldn't need to defend themselves we would hardly need police either. :yao:

• Downvote 1

My scenario that never happens... If crime were so rare that people wouldn't need to defend themselves we would hardly need police either. :yao:

Actually, nevermind. I'm done debating with you on this subject. You don't have a clue what you're talking about and you ignore any and all information that disagrees with your viewpoint by constantly repeating NRA talking points that have been thoroughly debunked. So no sense in continuing this.

Edited by Thanatos

Actually, nevermind. I'm done debating with you on this subject. You don't have a clue what you're talking about and you ignore any and all information that disagrees with your viewpoint by constantly repeating NRA talking points that have been thoroughly debunked. So no sense in continuing this.

If you want to be unarmed and unsafe by all means do it bud. But don't restrict my rights :shrug:

Not everyone is mentally capable of handling a firearm. That's okay.

NRA talking points? Yeah. The police having a slow reaction time is all propaganda.

• Downvote 1

If you don't feel safe without a gun, you probably shouldn't feel safe with one because someone probably has a grudge against you.

The thing is the people who try to invade your home will do it for one of two reasons. One, they feel like you have valuables and wealth and want to steal those things. If they intend on doing that, chances are they'll case your place for a couple of days, figure out your schedule and break in when no one is home, often times early in the morning, right after the person leaves for work. If you have a gun, they'll most definitely steal that too, after all gun theft is a huge reason why there are so many guns on the streets. The second case is if someone has a vendetta against you for whatever reason. In cases like that, there is no telling what the angry party might do, but pulling out a gun may as well be flashing red in a bulls eye. If they're armed and you're armed somebody is probably going to die. And if you're in that situation you have be prepared to take a life, or lose your life, and you better do it faster than the other guy can blink. Of course, if you do survive you'll have to live with the consequences of murdering someone for the rest of your days, but that's small potatoes.

The thing is, non lethal weapons will deter burglars just as well as lethal ones. No average person is gonna want to attack you when they've got mace in their eyes. So if you really feel the need to protect yourself from being robbed, just keep a can of mace in your bedside drawer, make sure you have a home alarm system that makes a lot of noise and call 911.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Having had a couple guys pull up in my driveway with their lights off and come up to my porch, I would feel much safer having a firearm at my home rather than having a non-lethal weapon like mace or something of the sort. If someone feels uncomfortable with the idea of having a deadly weapon, I respect their decision and would suggest they would do what's comfortable for them. However, I feel it's wrong to restrict how I defend myself and my residence.

I hate the police in our country, not because of the racism, the unnecessary murders, etc. But the whole reason they exist is a lie. They aren't here to protect us, they are here to keep us in line and from disobeying our government. As well as make them money.

No shit, but if the laws in place are good that shouldn't be a problem. If the laws in place aren't good then that's an entirely different argument and we shouldn't take out frustrations with that on the police.

No shit, but if the laws in place are good that shouldn't be a problem. If the laws in place aren't good then that's an entirely different argument and we shouldn't take out frustrations with that on the police.

The problem is very few of the laws we have actually are good, and people have every right to be sick of them and the pigs enforcing them. Especially to black people who have seen multiple of their own continued to be murdered by these trigger happy government lapdogs. The people are getting sick of the way we're policed and I think it's great we finally have people standing up.

Was talking about your naive assertion that racism isn't a problem in the police force actually.

But yeah, your scenario that almost never happens and is your basis for owning guns is also pretty silly, thanks for mentioning that.

You realize you're saying this about two days after an incident where the police protected a bunch of BLM protesters from getting shot with sniper fire- they weren't the primary target, sure, but crossfire is a thing- and five of them laid down their lives to do so.

Cops primary role is to protect the people, not "straight up bully us" into obeying our lawmakers.

If you aren't wearing your seatbelt, you're one dumb fucker. Even if you're just going down the street. Had a friend of a friend that nearly died when she was hit in the back by someone while she was stopped at a red light and was thrown partially through the windshield of her truck, because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt. She was going down to the store that was 2 minutes away, so she said she didn't think she needed it.

This isn't something to fuck around with, just like you don't drink and drive even if you're just going down the street, despite what Sean and some others of you guys think. Government passing laws to save lives is perfectly okay with me. There is literally no reason not to wear a seatbelt unless you're legally cleared not to- you're too small- except for the fact that it can be uncomfortable. Put your damn seatbelt on. Don't leave your friends and family wishing you had.

So because some peaceful unarmed protesters hid behind people with guns during a protest the cops are great protectors of the people? Please lol.

Nobody ever said you shouldn't wear a seat belt if you were smart. That isn't the point. The point is, our government has no right to FORCE people to wear them against their wills and then punish them for not doing so. If someone doesn't want to wear a seat belt, then they should have the freedom to do so, no? Even though it's clearly a bad idea, but so is running with scissors, I guess we should ban them since people apparently need their government overlords to tell them how to live. Bottom line, laws should not be there to tell us what we should and shouldn't have. What we should or shouldn't do unless you are harming and/or stealing from someone else.

The problem is very few of the laws we have actually are good, and people have every right to be sick of them and the pigs enforcing them. Especially to black people who have seen multiple of their own continued to be murdered by these trigger happy government lapdogs. The people are getting sick of the way we're policed and I think it's great we finally have people standing up.

it still feels like you're shooting the messenger, if the laws are the issue (which to a large extent I agree that they are) then let's focus on our legislators and other elected officials rather than taking it out on cops in the street in a continuing cycle of violence

• Upvote 2

Btw only 123 blacks killed by cops so far this year. Not exactly an extravagant number. Especially when you consider 484 people as a whole have been killed by cops.

Yup. Everything's all good, nothing wrong with the violence we've seen or the amount of guns used. All's well in the US of A.

"Only"

"blacks"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ok Cherry, you didn't take the math into account. I'm not saying you don't know math. You just didn't account for what those numbers mean.

484 people killed by cops - 123 blacks = 361 non-blacks killed by cops.

There are 6 times as many non-blacks in the USA as there are blacks.

6 x 123 = 738. So if blacks had the same number of people as non-blacks, that's how many would be killed if you extrapolated the numbers. That literally means a black person is twice as likely to be killed by police than a non-black person.

Draw your own conclusion.

Having had a couple guys pull up in my driveway with their lights off and come up to my porch, I would feel much safer having a firearm at my home rather than having a non-lethal weapon like mace or something of the sort. If someone feels uncomfortable with the idea of having a deadly weapon, I respect their decision and would suggest they would do what's comfortable for them. However, I feel it's wrong to restrict how I defend myself and my residence.

But maybe you should be restricted from buying an assault rifle

"Only"

"blacks"

238 whites. 123 blacks.

Are you really gonna throw a fit over me saying blacks? Blacks. Whites. Hispanics. Asians. It's the simplest way to identify them. Would you prefer if I catered to your sensitive bullshit by calling them colored people? Come on, Blots. Stop being a baby.

Sarge, yes blacks are on average more likely to be killed by police than whites are. Blacks are also more likely to commit a crime as well. Whether you identify that as due to racism or poverty, that's up to you.

484 deaths by police shooting aren't that bad for half a year. We don't know how many are justified, but I'd be willing to bet they're hitting at least 50% if not better.

But maybe you should be restricted from buying an assault rifle

What's the definition of assault rifle? Automatic weapons are already banned for civilian use. Military-style semiautomatic rifles are the closest thing there is to an assault rifle.

it still feels like you're shooting the messenger, if the laws are the issue (which to a large extent I agree that they are) then let's focus on our legislators and other elected officials rather than taking it out on cops in the street in a continuing cycle of violence

It's not like they were forced to be cops, they know what they signed up for. Some for good reasons, others because they are insecure and want to force their power on others. Regardless, there is legit reason for people to upset with their police. Doesn't mean they should go blowing heads off, but law enforcement is not above scrutiny and if people forget that then things will go down a dark path.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fupshot&action=click&contentCollection=upshot&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront&referer=http://www.nytimes.com/section/upshot

A new study confirms that black men and women are treated differently in the hands of law enforcement. They are more likely to be touched, handcuffed, pushed to the ground or pepper-sprayed by a police officer, even after accounting for how, where and when they encounter the police.

But when it comes to the most lethal form of force — police shootings — the study finds no racial bias.

“It is the most surprising result of my career,” said Roland G. Fryer Jr., the author of the study and a professor of economics at Harvard. The study examined more than 1,000 shootings in 10 major police departments, in Texas, Florida and California.

The result contradicts the mental image of police shootings that many Americans hold in the wake of the killings (some captured on video) of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo.; Laquan McDonald in Chicago; Tamir Rice in Cleveland; Walter Scott in South Carolina; Samuel DuBose in Cincinnati; Alton Sterling in Baton Rouge, La.; and Philando Castile in Minnesota.

The study did not say whether the most egregious examples — the kind of killings at the heart of the nation’s debate on police shootings — are free of racial bias. Instead, it examined a much larger pool of shootings, including nonfatal ones. It focused on what happens when police encounters occur, not how often they happen. (There’s a disproportionate number of tense interactions among blacks and the police when shootings could occur, and thus a disproportionate outcome for blacks.) Racial differences in how often police-civilian interactions occur have been shown reflect greater structural problems in society.

Mr. Fryer is the youngest African-American to receive tenure at Harvard and the first one to receive a John Bates Clark medal, a prize given to the most promising American economist under 40. He is not afraid of controversial questions. In previous work, he has paid students to read books; considered the possibility of genetic differences in intelligence; and shown that high-achieving black and Hispanic students have fewer friends.

Mr. Fryer said his anger after the deaths of Michael Brown and Freddie Gray and others drove him to study the issue. “You know, protesting is not my thing,” he said. “But data is my thing. So I decided that I was going to collect a bunch of data and try to understand what really is going on when it comes to racial differences in police use of force.”

He and a group of student researchers spent about 3,000 hours assembling detailed data from police reports in Houston; Austin, Tex.; Dallas; Los Angeles; Orlando, Fla.; Jacksonville, Fla.; and four other counties in Florida.

They examined 1,332 shootings between 2000 and 2015, systematically coding police narratives to answer questions such as: How old was the suspect? How many police officers were at the scene? Were they mostly white? Was the officer at the scene for a robbery, violent activity, a traffic stop or something else? Was it nighttime? Did the officer shoot after being attacked or before a possible attack? One goal was to figure out whether police officers were quicker to fire at black suspects.

Charts and graphs and whatnot in the link.

This is the co-founder of BLM in Toronto, the ones that disrupted a gay pride parade and demanded, among other things, that they remove any cop floats from any future parades.

If you can spare a few brain cells, feel free to read this utter garbage:

http://i.imgur.com/tWu09Iq.jpg

Just to warn you, she replaces any instance of the word man, even included in another word, such as human, with the letters mxn.

Edited by Thanatos

Something to watch and keep in mind:

I think that's a good video and definitely something to keep in mind in these situations. However, I do think it's a little disingenuous in that they're only given two options: lethal force or no force. It seems to me that most scenarios call for something in between. I can't be the only one longing for the days of "Don't Taze Me Bro," I'd take that in a heartbeat over "Hands Up, Don't Shoot."