oochymp

Presidential Election Thread

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

• Hillary Clinton
    • Donald Trump
    • Gary Johnson
    • Please just shoot me now

To my dying day, I will not understand why Hillary hired her. If you're gonna wire a million dollars to her Cayman Island bank account, thats one thing. But pulling this move makes no sense from pretty much any perspective. Hillary had to distance herself from this scandal and make it go away as fast as possible. Hiring DWS guarantees that it doesn't happen. I don't know how she didn't forsee this blowback.

Yeah, it's pretty baffling.

I read this earlier, and I legitimately thought it was just some made up story from the far right trying to make Hillary look worse over this leak / scandal. Then I went around and confirmed it with other sources and I just got so confused. As you said, it makes no sense on any level.

The only real rationale that I can assign to it is that Hillary knows she is invulnerable and just doesn't care. Either that or she / her campaign is incredibly stupid. Or both.

Once again Hillary is insanely cocky because she believes she is entitled to the presidency and already has it in the bag. Can't wait for Trump to throw her off the stage and face-first into the Johnson.

Maybe that was part of the condition that Debbie Worchestshire steps down quietly without making a fuss is being hiring to the Clinton Campaign. Normally you wait a few months for her name to disappear from the collective unconsciousness first.

Interesting that this is what finally brought you over the edge

Oh, it's very much a straw breaking the camel's back. The thing is most of what I don't like about Hillary I can basically chalk up to politics as usual, and I have trouble holding that against politicians largely because if I did I'd never be able to vote for anyone. This move, however, takes things a step too far, like Chern said it just displays a level of arrogance that I wouldn't have expected. That said, when it comes down to it I'll still probably end up voting for Hillary just because the risk of a Trump presidency is way too high.

There is absolutely no excuse for voting for Hillary Clinton just because you fear what Trump would do to this country.

I just vented about this via Facebook, so I'll just copy and paste so I don't have to write everything again.

Where I stand:

We need our broken political system to change more than we need to not elect any particular candidate. One major candidate scares me a lot more than the other, too, but what scares me even more than that is the idea that a majority of the voting population will always be swayed back to their general party loyalties out of fear, thereby guaranteeing that our country will never see legitimate, progressive political change.

You are not at all at fault if [insert egregiously shitty candidate 1 or 2 here] gets elected and you didn't vote for their primary opponent. You have the right to choose other options. If you're not comfortable voting for either Orange Man or Pennywise the Clown, remember that you don't have to choose between them, so don't allow fear of one or the other to sway your vote.

This is how the system is designed--we're meant to be divided, to have our attention directed at the worst of the worst from the opposing point of view so that we're too scared to have real, progressive discussion. With that in mind, remember to be civil with your friends and family with differing views from your own. Your relationships with those people--people that are good to you regardless of your disagreements--are ten times more important than grandstanding on differences like petty children. Civility leads to real discussion. Real discussion will lead to real solutions. Real solutions will slowly tear down this oppressive system and in time give American citizens more options.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

remember to be civil with your friends and family with differing views from your own. Your relationships with those people--people that are good to you regardless of your disagreements--are ten times more important than grandstanding on differences like petty children. Civility leads to real discussion. Real discussion will lead to real solutions. Real solutions will slowly tear down this oppressive system and in time give American citizens more options.

This right here is truth. Unfortunately, our system as currently structured does create a binary option because it requires a winner to get more than 50% of electoral votes, until that changes a third party candidate doesn't have a real shot. Normally, I would agree with the rest of your as well but Trump presents a number of very novel problems when you're talking about serious presidential candidates. The guy has repeatedly said he would not honor international agreements (from NATO to the Geneva Convention), he's repeatedly praised oppressive dictators for the way they oppress their populations, he's tried to get a judge taken off of a case against him because of the judge's Mexican heritage (the judge in question happens to have been born in Indiana), he's urged his supporters to use physical violence to suppress people who disagree with him, he's denigrated American citizens for their race, gender, religion, and physical disabilities, the list goes on (if you want more, check this out: Link).

All of this together makes Trump a unique challenge to the American system and a threat to global safety. I hate that our system basically forces me to vote for either Trump or Hillary, but that's the way the system works right now. You're only fooling yourself if you think there's any chance for someone other than those two being President in January. Again, if the Republican nominee was just another shitty politician then I would cast a third party protest vote. But with Trump the worst case scenario is just too bad to risk, so as much as I hate to do it I do feel like I have to cast my vote for the only other person with a real shot at winning the election, and that's Hill :puke: ary.

In other election news, Michelle Obama gave a great speech last night:

I think it's funny that everyone is talking about the shots she took at Trump but nobody's mentioning the subtle jab at Bernie supporters, and you can't convince me that her discussion of Hillary in '08 is anything else.

Edited by oochymp

Doral, Florida (CNN) - Donald Trump on Wednesday called on Russia to hack Hillary Clinton's email.
"Russia, if you're listening I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press," Trump said during a news conference in Florida.
Shortly after his event ended, Trump repeated his call on Twitter.
"If Russia or any other country or person has Hillary Clinton's 33,000 illegally deleted emails, perhaps they should share them with the FBI!" Trump tweeted.
Clinton's campaign said Trump's comments amounted to encouraging "a foreign power to conduct espionage."
"This has to be the first time that a major presidential candidate has actively encouraged a foreign power to conduct espionage against his political opponent," said Hillary for America senior policy adviser Jake Sullivan. "That's not hyperbole, those are just the facts. This has gone from being a matter of curiosity, and a matter of politics, to being a national security issue."

you can't make this shit up

• Upvote 1

#PleaseJustShootMeInTheFUCKINGFACE2016

Trump will be our next President. I do not support him in any way shape or form. I just feel Trump is the edgy type of person most middle class types want in office because they buy into his mantra.

Dems seem more divided than the Republicans also.

• Upvote 1

Pulling comment right out of Reddit, kinda blew my mind. Lol.

This makes my skin crawl. Didn't even realize it either.

you can't make this shit up

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a whole lot wrong with what Trump said. Do we really believe that the 30,000 emails that were erased were just personal as he campaign team alleges? Doubtful. If the emails are retrievable, we should have done it already. If we have, they should be reporting on their contents and either backing up the Clinton campaign comments or disputing them. And if we haven't retrieved them and it is possible -- why haven't we?

It is kind of odd to call on Russia to do the job, but it's not a big deal to me. I find the Clinton campaign spin to be more entertaining.

It's kind of odd? Lmao. That's a bit of an understatement, no?

Trump's allegedly got some weird ties to Russia too, so there's that as well.

Still leaning towards not voting, and that makes me feel bad.

• Upvote 1

It's kind of odd? Lmao. That's a bit of an understatement, no?

No, indeed.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a whole lot wrong with what Trump said. Do we really believe that the 30,000 emails that were erased were just personal as he campaign team alleges? Doubtful. If the emails are retrievable, we should have done it already. If we have, they should be reporting on their contents and either backing up the Clinton campaign comments or disputing them. And if we haven't retrieved them and it is possible -- why haven't we?

It is kind of odd to call on Russia to do the job, but it's not a big deal to me. I find the Clinton campaign spin to be more entertaining.

Corruption. There is a good chance, that they would not want to leak certain information contained in those emails to the public.

Vote third party, Vin.

Edited by BJABY

Corruption. There is a good chance, that they would not want to leak certain information contained in those emails to the public.

Vote third party, Vin.

Exactly. And believe me, I'd rather our own government release that information or to retrieve it and then release it. Then they can sorta censor it still in case of stuff like names or locations secret bases or tactics or whatever. It's our right, as citizens to know the contents of those emails. I don't need every specific detail, but I want to know what's going on.

If our own government is going to hide that from us, I really don't care that Russia will or that our citizens are calling for it. It shouldn't be their job, but if it furthers the American people, I am for it.

For as much as we hear the word "transparency" from politicians -- we sure don't get much of it.

All of these leaks and things seems to make Seth Rich's murder pointless.

13876330_1082751421773734_69719792266947

All I've learned since Bernie conceded is that I hate Hillary even more than I hate Trump, and yet if forced I'd still vote for her before I'd vote for Trump. It's one thing to be an asshole and know it, like Trump. It's another to be so goddamned greasy that I'm pretty sure hearing her speak and watching the way she works is clogging up my arteries. So much blatant corruption.

The horrible antics of Trump have damaged progress in America, but he also showed the Republican party what the worst among them look like when they say stupid shit (but on steroids). I've never seen so much self-awareness from the GOP. I think he may have shocked them into being reasonable about certain things, like social issues, obviously. It's like they're all sitting there shocked, thinking, "is that what I sound like?"

The guy has no eloquence. If he just recognized situations from the get go and installed a filter, he could have won the election in a landslide with all the shit coming out with Hillary.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

Watching this convention like

tumblr_lputj1T6Og1qb3fito1_1280.jpg

If you're really interested in this Russian angle, it goes really fucking deep including Snowden, Wikileaks, Assange etc.

From a former NSA and Cold War American spy who Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has tried to destroy before (since he started exposing Assange and Wikileaks as a Russian front) by exposing him sending a dick pic to a girl on twitter because he was no longer having sex with his wife but failed to completely destroy him so he kept pounding the desk and now it seems most people are aligning with his thoughts finally:

http://observer.com/2016/07/wikileaks-dismantling-of-dnc-is-clear-attack-by-putin-on-clinton/

And no he's not a democrat.

All I've learned since Bernie conceded is that I hate Hillary even more than I hate Trump, and yet if forced I'd still vote for her before I'd vote for Trump. It's one thing to be an asshole and know it, like Trump. It's another to be so goddamned greasy that I'm pretty sure hearing her speak and watching the way she works is clogging up my arteries. So much blatant corruption.

The horrible antics of Trump have damaged progress in America, but he also showed the Republican party what the worst among them look like when they say stupid shit (but on steroids). I've never seen so much self-awareness from the GOP. I think he may have shocked them into being reasonable about certain things, like social issues, obviously. It's like they're all sitting there shocked, thinking, "is that what I sound like?"

The guy has no eloquence. If he just recognized situations from the get go and installed a filter, he could have won the election in a landslide with all the shit coming out with Hillary.

Yeah, to be fair to Trump... even with all the nasty things he's said... He got the entire Republican Convention to cheer for equal rights for the LGBT community. Didn't think that would ever happen. And maybe they didn't even realize what was happening, lol.

And voting for the lesser of two evils just doesn't work. You're still voting for evil. You are still signaling to candidates that you are okay with bad choices. Good candidates never get the attention or spotlight they deserve and we keep spiraling downward.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Yeah that's why I propped Bware's post too, him getting the GOP to cheer for gay rights was the most bizarre thing I've ever seen, never thought I'd see that either :lol: Then he even said he was proud of them for cheering. Plus he kept throwing the ills of former GOP policies in their face. It was kind of impressive for all the other dumb shit he's done/said.

Apparently Romney is considering endorsing Johnson which many pundits say will move Utah in favor of Johnson.