Favre4Ever

Bills Sign Tyrod Taylor to 6 Year / $90 Million Extension

They were literally just saying he wasn't a franchise guy lmao.

O5NyCibf93upy.gif

Edited by Vin

After one season starting

giphy.gif

You know what. I'm happy for this Tyrod. Ever since his VT days he's patiently waited for an opportunity to start. Last year when healthy he was better than any QB the Bills have had in recent memory. He got paid...but if anyone in the NFL wasn't expecting this kind of payday it would've been Taylor. He's worked his ass off.

Its a good contract for us. 15 million a year for a franchise QB is a bargain, and his contract is structured in a way that he can be cut after this year with no penalties.

Ya, I don't mind it. It's one year, kind of a risk.. But if Taylor plays like he did last year, it's a bargain. He backed up Joe Flacco for 4 years and in his first season as a starter he had a regular season better than anything Joe Flacco has put together in his career. I wanted him to succeed and he has, which is nice to see for once. Good for him.

Now was the time to commit to him for the future as opposed to after another season of solid that only would have raised his agent's demands. Smart move by the Bills. And if he proves to be a one year wonder (not going to happen), they can cut him.

Now was the time to commit to him for the future as opposed to after another season of solid that only would have raised his agent's demands. Smart move by the Bills. And if he proves to be a one year wonder (not going to happen), they can cut him.

Yeah, he will only be making $10 million this season or so. If he doesn't play well, they can decline the option for next year. If he plays well, however... He will be owed $27 million next year.

I'm shocked, but if this works out for the Bills, it'll really work out. I'm sure they can do some finagling with his contract to make the cap hit next season more manageable if he continues to earn it.

Isn't the $27 million a roster bonus so it'll spread out over the contract?

Looks that way. His base is like 12M with extra 15M guaranteed as long as they pick up his option. Speaking of which, lots of options, and incentives built in... Tyrod gets his money as long as he doesn't misstep along the way. That's a lot of pressure for a young QB.

https://twitter.com/AndrewBrandt/status/764186024159354881

Isn't the $27 million a roster bonus so it'll spread out over the contract?

Technically it qualifies as an "option bonus" since it's not guaranteed at signing, but yeah, works the same way.

When I first heard this I wasn't sure about it for Buffalo but with the way the deal is set up I like this a lot for both parties. A lot riding on this season for Tyrod now.

Seems odd that Tyrod would sign on for 6 years when he still could improve his standings among the QBs as a top guy. :shrug: Good deal for the Bills.

Seems odd that Tyrod would sign on for 6 years when he still could improve his standings among the QBs as a top guy. :shrug: Good deal for the Bills.

He was a 6th round pick and was making like $3 million this year, and had literally only 2 teams try to sign him when he was a total UFA last year. I think he just realizes how fickle the NFL can be and decided that financial security is worth more than going after every last dollar he can get.

He was a 6th round pick and was making like $3 million this year, and had literally only 2 teams try to sign him when he was a total UFA last year. I think he just realizes how fickle the NFL can be and decided that financial security is worth more than going after every last dollar he can get.

There isn't a whole lot of security in that deal though, just a whole lot more money on the line. I definitely don't blame him.. But if he sucks this year or isn't worth a $90M extension.. the Bills can just cut him with no repercussions this year and maybe even re-sign him but to a deal worth even less money. He has to earn his keep almost every single year under this contract.

There isn't a whole lot of security in that deal though, just a whole lot more money on the line. I definitely don't blame him.. But if he sucks this year or isn't worth a $90M extension.. the Bills can just cut him with no repercussions this year and maybe even re-sign him but to a deal worth even less money. He has to earn his keep almost every single year under this contract.

but how is that different from his previous contract position? Before this deal he was making $2M and due only $1.2M next year, he's upped that to $10M next year and set himself up for solid money over the next five years, I don't see how that's a bad thing for him

but how is that different from his previous contract position? Before this deal he was making $2M and due only $1.2M next year, he's upped that to $10M next year and set himself up for solid money over the next five years, I don't see how that's a bad thing for him

Didn't say it was a bad thing for him. But Blots mentioned that this deal gives him security -- which, it does... As long as he plays well. You kind of agreed.. kind of. He is in a similar situation just with a lot more money on the line (which I said in my last post).

I don't blame him at all for signing the deal. But I think the Bills definitely got the better end of it and all of the leverage moving forward. If he gets hurt this year or regresses even a little, he won't sniff that extension.

I thought Blots was referring to the security that comes from getting $8M more than he was scheduled to get this season

I thought Blots was referring to the security that comes from getting $8M more than he was scheduled to get this season

Ah, perhaps... I figured more like.. the security of his job, not having to worry about looking over your shoulder every minute for the guy who is going to replace you. The kind of security that big contracts shelled out to Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Aaron Rodgers, etc.

My mistake. :yep:

Yeah thats what I meant. When you haven't had a massive contract, that 8 million makes a big difference.