Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Confederate Flags and Statues Must be Removed

It sounds like you don't have a good argument for keeping the statue of Lee up so you're just arguing for tearing down them all.

Incidentally, this is the same argument trump and the white supremacists (lol not sure why I'm acting like they're separate entities) use.

• Upvote 1

Why do you keep doing this? You literally just make shit up and respond not in order to have a conversation but to put yourself on that false moral high ground so that you can continue to demean and look down on people.

That post wasn't about keeping the Lee statue up. You came at me talking about good VS evil and the "grand scale of life". That's what I responded to.

I never said you did. I'm just saying if you still do, there's no excuse.

Misunderstanding on my end then.

So what is your argument? I don't have a problem with statues of Washington and MLK because despite their faults, Id define them as generally good people. If you disagree, then fine you can argue that their statues should be taken down. I also define lee as a bad person because he fought for the confederacy which I want his (and all confederates) to have their statues removed.

What's your argument for keeping them up?

Baltimore took down Confederate statues last night, which begs the question: why the hell did Baltimore have Confederate statues?

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 2

Baltimore took down Confederate statues last night, which begs the question: why the hell did Baltimore habe Confederate statues?

Because the entire country has problems with racism, which is what those statues signify. There is a confederate monument in Montana.

Baltimore took down Confederate statues last night, which begs the question: why the hell did Baltimore habe Confederate statues?

This was actually my first question when I saw that this morning. Lol.

• Upvote 1

Robert e. Lee's monument was specifically to celebrate and honor his efforts in helping the confederacy. As is the case with every single monument in question.

If there was, or is, a monument somewhere out there where George Washington is being honored for the slaves he had or his contribution to slavery then we can have this conversation.

Additionally, I know a many group of black people who oppose the national anthem because of when it was written, honoring George Washington and other slave owning presidents in their communities, hell don't even celebrate 4th of July because blacks weren't free, etc. So it's not like those people don't exist. They simply don't run around demanding all these things change because they understand the difference between something made to honor someone for the good that they did, and something made to honor someone as a form of oppression and for the evil they did.

Maryland was divided when it came to the civil war. Still a good question.

Maryland was divided when it came to the civil war. Still a good question.

True, as with most border states, but they were never part of the Confederacy.

Robert e. Lee's monument was specifically to celebrate and honor his efforts in helping the confederacy. As is the case with every single monument in question.

I am not saying you are wrong.. However, every statues commission is different, to say otherwise isn't factual. The guy who commissioned that statues was known for his philanthropy, he had a French Medal of Honor, and built parks for black kids in Virginia (this was pre Civil Rights). Why would he do that if he was so excited to celebrate Lee's fight to keep slaves?

Edited by Olenna4Ever

The weird thing in Baltimore, which I didn't feel like getting into while I was on my phone, is that one of the statues they took down was of Supreme Court Chief Justice Roger Taney. The reason for the connection is that he wrote the Dred Scott decision, but he was still Chief Justice of SCOTUS and was from Maryland. This is where I think there may be some merit to the slippery slope argument, I'd put that on par with something like a city in Tennessee tearing down a statue of Andrew Jackson because they didn't like his Indian removal policy. (pure hypothetical, I don't even know where any statues of Andrew Jackson are in Tennessee, much less if there's been any push to remove them)

• Upvote 1

Spin it however you want. You voted for a nazi sympathizer to be president.

Spin it however I want? Dawg, it was my vote, whether you agree with my reasons or not, there's no spin. It's just one man's opinion and one man's vote. Maybe I'm wrong. It happens often but my reasons were my own

I'm sure Trump is racist as was/is Hillary but that's not the same as being a Nazi sympathizer and Trump is yet again voicing the opinion of a large portion of white male demographic that helped him win the White House. Every Republican President since the parties flipped and the Republicans became the conservative party again has been supported by KKK and other White Supremacist groups. Whether you like it or not he's not turning his back on who got him to the White House. He can't afford to do that.

I don't agree with the push back against removing statues and flags but although many of the protesters were racist I don't even think all these people are overly racist if they're even racist at all. White men feel like they're under attack...because they are. By feminists, by the media etc. Did you ever see MLK going around talking about how terrible White Men are? No, he knew he needed white people on his side to accomplish his goals so his message was inclusive and peaceful. Usually if you're trying to make somebody understand something you don't start off by telling them how much of an asshole they are right? Maybe PhilElliot has it right this time. We're being divided.

Yeah, Trump is a Nazi sympathizer. Rigggghhhtttt.

Just in the event that you guys still don't understand blots' argument, here is his soulmate to drill it into your dense skulls one more time.

20799912_1483972171697020_12022729201269

• Upvote 1

Did you ever see MLK going around talking about how terrible White Men are? No, he knew he needed white people on his side to accomplish his goals so his message was inclusive and peaceful.

Ooh you know I can't resist this.

mlk-cfw.jpg

A pastor in Chicago is beginning a new movement by writing to the mayor demanding that (George) Washington and (Andrew) Jackson Parks / Statues be removed and renamed.

That was actually faster than I thought it would happen.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/aug/16/rahm-emanuel-urged-by-chicago-pastor-to-remove-geo/

A pastor in Chicago is beginning a new movement by writing to the mayor demanding that (George) Washington and (Andrew) Jackson Parks / Statues be removed and renamed.

That was actually faster than I thought it would happen.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/aug/16/rahm-emanuel-urged-by-chicago-pastor-to-remove-geo/

Slippery slope indeed.

Andrew Jackson was a genocidal monster who should never be mentioned in a positive context.

• Upvote 2

Ooh you know I can't resist this.

mlk-cfw.jpg

Does this prove your point or mine? I'm confused. This is definitely more inclusive and eloquent than anything I've heard come out of any social justice warrior's mouth. I never said we should have to wait for justice. I really hope you're not trying to equate the efficacy of King's message to that of this current bs.

Humans are the worst things to idolize. We're all just awful.

Andrew Jackson was a genocidal monster who should never be mentioned in a positive context.

Fucking thank you. Why he is regarded as a good president is beyond me. He was a monstrosity and his policies had direct negative consequences that lasted for decades.

Nah Statues are cool and good because they can be defaced.

• Upvote 1

Humans are the worst things to idolize. We're all just awful.

Fucking thank you. Why he is regarded as a good president is beyond me. He was a monstrosity and his policies had direct negative consequences that lasted for decades.

59297d03201de.image.jpg

He managed to push his hate agenda....

Your Nazis and Alt Right want to follow him in his footsteps.