Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

2018 Coaching Carousel

How is Cincy up in the air ?? Lmao. Not saying youre wrong, but come on! The moment I heard Marvin wanted to explore other jobs, Id tell him to get out of my building.

And thats ignoring the fact that hes done nothing ever

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000901607/article/marvin-lewis-no-bengals-coaching-decision-timeline

Not saying it makes sense, but he's not officially gone

Edited by oochymp

uPQGgAuKSSej-1R72GNeWQ.png

lmao You don't even have the slightest clue what an awful head coach looks like.

God help you on the day when(if) the Steelers do hire an awful head coach. Might have to be put on suicide watch if this is how you react to Tomlin.

This. Mularkey is an impressive coach. He is so bad but the talent we have makes up somewhat of his terrible scheme and playcalling. Our OC gotta go no questions asked and even though we made the playoffs Mularkey needs to go too. If we got Mcdaniels , Mariota would be a borderline top 5 QB with that scheme.

McDaniels would just trade Mariota away for some crappy retread QB.

• Upvote 1

uPQGgAuKSSej-1R72GNeWQ.png

lmao You don't even have the slightest clue what an awful head coach looks like.

God help you on the day when(if) the Steelers do hire an awful head coach. Might have to be put on suicide watch if this is how you react to Tomlin.

Tomlin is a buffoon and has proven it year in and year out. His entire career was built on the back of Ben, LeBeau, and Colbert.

You have always been a a whiner that claims nobody is allowed to be upset with anything regarding their team so long as there is a worse team with less historical success out there. You remind me of those annoying people that's always gotta one-up people when they make a comment. "You're tired??? You don't get to be tired unless you are like me and you work 3 jobs and have a gaggle of kids! You CAN'T EVEN FATHOM REAL TIREDNESS YOU FOOL."

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 2

Tomlin is a buffoon and has proven it year in and year out. His entire career was built on the back of Ben, LeBeau, and Colbert.

You have always been a a whiner that claims nobody is allowed to be upset with anything regarding their team so long as there is a worse team with less historical success out there. You remind me of those annoying people that's always gotta one-up people when they make a comment. "You're tired??? You don't get to be tired unless you are like me and you work 3 jobs and have a gaggle of kids! You CAN'T EVEN FATHOM REAL TIREDNESS YOU FOOL."

Tomlin has built a top 10 defense now that he's been given time to replace all the old players left over from the LeBeau years and should only get better as the secondary gets fixed, so while sure having LeBeau helped at the start, looks like the defense there is going to be just fine without him.

And yes he's had Ben, but find a coach who is successful without a franchise QB. I'll do your research for you and tell you the only coach who fits that bill is Joe Gibbs.

You've got a head coach with a .659 win percentage. He's not even close to awful, as much as you wanna make up bullshit stating he is. He may not be Bill Belichick, but he's no where near awful.

And I'm interested in seeing all these examples of "claiming no one is allowed to be upset cause others have it worse", but I'm sure that's just you making up more bullshit, cause that doesn't exist.

• Downvote 1

I've been critical of Ravens fans who wanted Harbaugh gone, but I think he's soundly on the hot seat now after missing the playoffs in 4 of the last 5 seasons.

Anyway, my thoughts on the carousel so far:

• Good on you, Bruce Arians, for stepping away on your own terms. I'm curious to see if Carson Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald will follow.
  • Shocked to see Del Rio fired (too soon) and even more shocked that the Raiders think Jon Gruden will be their savior. This could all blow up just as they move to Las Vegas. Prepare thy popcorn.
  • Just let Marvin go already, Cincy.
  • I would say Dave Toub as Indy's next head coach will happen, given Chris Ballard is their GM.
  • Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia have been labeled as hot coaching candidates by the media a few years in a row now, but--and I'm honestly asking because I can't remember--have they ever been this swamped with job interviews? It feels like both will be head coaches next year.
  • Good call by the Redskins and Broncos to keep their head coaches. Washington should show Cousins the money; Denver should go for Alex Smith or maybe Tyrod Taylor.

Edit: Regarding the conversation Air and Zack are having about Tomlin, I'm pretty sure every fan is overly critical of their coach. Hell, I've seen Patriots fans get on Bill Belichick plenty of times. Because we spend 90% of our time watching only our team, we hone in on every mistake.

I'm guilty of this too, as I've been very critical of Doug Pederson's play-calling at times. But then I step back and realize that the players love and respect him, they play hard every game, and we went 13-3, which speaks for itself.

It's easy to focus on the negatives and lose sight of the big picture, is what I'm saying.

Edited by SteVo

I've been critical of Ravens fans who wanted Harbaugh gone, but I think he's soundly on the hot seat now after missing the playoffs in 4 of the last 5 seasons.

Anyway, my thoughts on the carousel so far:

• Good on you, Bruce Arians, for stepping away on your own terms. I'm curious to see if Carson Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald will follow.
  • Shocked to see Del Rio fired (too soon) and even more shocked that the Raiders think Jon Gruden will be their savior. This could all blow up just as they move to Las Vegas. Prepare thy popcorn.
  • Just let Marvin go already, Cincy.
  • I would say Dave Toub as Indy's next head coach will happen, given Chris Ballard is their GM.
  • Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia have been labeled as hot coaching candidates by the media a few years in a row now, but--and I'm honestly asking because I can't remember--have they ever been this swamped with job interviews? It feels like both will be head coaches next year.
  • Good call by the Redskins and Broncos to keep their head coaches. Washington should show Cousins the money; Denver should go for Alex Smith or maybe Tyrod Taylor.

Edit: Regarding the conversation Air and Zack are having about Tomlin, I'm pretty sure every fan is overly critical of their coach. Hell, I've seen Patriots fans get on Bill Belichick plenty of times. Because we spend 90% of our time watching only our team, we hone in on every mistake.

I'm guilty of this too, as I've been very critical of Doug Pederson's play-calling at times. But then I step back and realize that the players love and respect him, they play hard every game, and we went 13-3, which speaks for itself.

It's easy to focus on the negatives and lose sight of the big picture, is what I'm saying.

It's not just "being overly critical of Tomlin". He's calling him awful, and I've seen him do it numerous times. Mike Tomlin has a .659 winning percentage over 11 years. Made the playoffs 8 of those 11 years. Won at least 10 games 8 of 11 years. At least 11 6 of 11 years. His worst record as a head coach is .500.

Nothing about Mike Tomlin is awful. Hue Jackson is awful. Rod Marinelli was awful. Dennis Allen was awful.

Mike Tomlin is in an entirely different galaxy from the awful tier.

• Downvote 1

Shocked to see Del Rio fired (too soon) and even more shocked that the Raiders think Jon Gruden will be their savior.

Del Rio lost the locker room and lacked authority clearly and you could see it in every game... no punishment for reprehensible actions.

One of the major issues, pointed out by the Athletic’s Vic Tafur, surrounded running back Marshawn Lynch who seemed to get a free-pass from Jack Del Rio to do basically whatever Lynch pleased.

“Lynch participated in practice every day. But he made sure to walk over and chat up his personal video team during sessions.”

The controversial running back also sat for every national anthem and got thrown out of a football game without ever experiencing any backlash from Del Rio, creating a double standard between Lynch and the rest of the team.

Tafur also noted that Lynch’s joking around, which often was at the expense of Carr, could have hurt Carr’s leadership status in the locker room.

The Lynch situation along with the staff failing to suspend Johnny Holton for smacking a Patriots player and allowing Michael Crabtree to get in a fight with Aqib Talib proved that this Raiders’ coaching staff didn’t have anyone to stand up and lead in tough times.

The lack of discipline was so bad that NaVorro Bowman, who came in wanting to be a leader, essentially gave up after seeing all the bad habits the young players accrued.

"With Khalil Mack and Carr being ‘lead by example’ guys in the locker room in addition to a ‘look the other way’ coaching staff, there was no one to hold anyone accountable."

That is an Oakland Raiders Beat Writer that attends all practices and games that asked Bowman this question and that was his response.

If Navarro fucking Bowman comes from the 49ers and is saying that.... this has been an ongoing issue for a while and desperately needed change.

Marshawn has aways been Marshawn, but at the end of the day the coaching staff needs to put the foot down and stomp that shit out and if not, adios.

You think the Hoodie or Sean Payton would stand for that nonsense? Or any other respectable HC for that matter?

Fuck Del Rio. He may of brought winning and was a respectable man but he's not the coach to develop and help this team grow with the young players and talent that is present.

• Upvote 2

Damn. Didn't realize things had gone south in the locker room. I stand corrected, then. I thought the major problem was the turnover (pun intended, I guess) at offensive coordinator.

• Upvote 1

I'm on the fence about the Bucs' decision to retain Koetter. For one, I'm glad we can have some sort of consistency but at the same time I feel like Dirk has fallen short in the main area he was hired for. Developing Jameis. I don't think he's horrible, but he hasn't grown as much over these 3 years as a QB with his potential should. Dirk has been calling plays for him since he's been a rookie and there's been no real growth. I mean, that was the reason Lovie was fired. So we could promote Koetter and let him keep developing Winston. But the worst thing about the situation is that Dirk is refusing to give up play calling or fire Mike Smith. Which is completely and totally unacceptable IMO. Dirk clearly needs to give up some responsibility but he's being an arrogant ass about it. I feel like we are just keeping everyone for the simple sake of continuity and I don't think it's going to work out. Wouldn't surprise me if Koetter doesn't even make it to the end of 2018 if we struggle.

• Upvote 1

Damn. Didn't realize things had gone south in the locker room. I stand corrected, then. I thought the major problem was the turnover (pun intended, I guess) at offensive coordinator.

I mean it was a combination of things

Todd Downing is king of the retards. Promoting him to OC with no prior experience was a Del Rio move because he didn't want to bring someone outside in for the job.

Derek Carr's back injury is serious. The fact he was even playing with it is a miracle. He will bounce back.

Ken Norton Jr was one of the worst DC's I've ever seen. Didn't put players in a position to succeed, simply wanted to run his single high safety scheme with Reggie Nelson (who is old af and declining rapidly) trying to act like Earl Thomas or Ed Reed and having Sean fucking Smith... man to man trying to jam Brandin Cooks at the LOS and trying to make that work amongst so many other things TWO YEARS IN A ROW.

Add to the above with the incredible ineptitude of JDR as a leader and you get a top 10 draft pick at the end of the year.

As Stevo alluded to -- Carson Palmer has indeed announced his retirement.

Papa also revealed a remarkable moment from the locker room following the team’s disastrous 26-15 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 14.

“This coaching staff turned on Derek Carr as well. After the Kansas City game they called him out in front of a whole team meeting. It wasn’t just the offense or the quarterbacks, (or) a segment of the team. It was the whole team," Papa said. "And they ripped him in front of everybody and Derek’s a prideful guy.”

“But when you have a head coach that’s not designing the play (and) calling the play and then second-guessing the play and the quarterback’s play on a certain play, it doesn’t go well.”

Just more fuel to the fire.

If any of that is even remotely true, which it's somewhat believable... fuck Del Rio, didn't want to take accountability all year and it wouldn't surprise me if the blame game was played.

Ha, that doesn't surprise me in the slightest. JDR always seemed like a bitch.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if it's the right move or not, and if it happens, I'm sure it'll be hotly debated, but I am about 90% sure Ron Rivera won't be with the Panthers in 2018.

A new owner is going to want to hire his own guy, right? It probably depends on how quickly the Panthers are sold and who is available at that time, but a new owner is usually the end of the road for a team's current Head Coach.

We'll have to wait and see what happens.

I don't know if it's the right move or not, and if it happens, I'm sure it'll be hotly debated, but I am about 90% sure Ron Rivera won't be with the Panthers in 2018.

A new owner is going to want to hire his own guy, right? It probably depends on how quickly the Panthers are sold and who is available at that time, but a new owner is usually the end of the road for a team's current Head Coach.

We'll have to wait and see what happens.

On the flip side why would an owner want to add further instability by firing a coach who has 4 playoff appearances in 5 years and a 51-28-1 record in that stretch?

I dunno at what point the NFL started expecting everyone to be Bill Belichick but that's really gotta stop when guys like Ron Rivera are potentially being put on a hot seat.

All you have to do... Can you imagine Ron RIvera winning a Super Bowl with the Panthers? If so, you keep him. If not, you let him go. Period.

• Upvote 1

I think they can... I mean, they almost did.

I think Ron should be kept, personally. But I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he's let go. Maybe the new owner looks and says... Ok, Shula is gone, Wilks might be taking or already has taken a head coaching job at that point... Maybe I'll just start with a totally clean slate. Get my own guy in here and let him hire his staff.

Again, I'm not saying Rivera should be fired, but just that there's a good possibility that it happens. And if it does, he won't be out of work long... unless he gets fired after all the other jobs get filled.

I concur with Sarge except I push it back one year.

I dont know when this sale goes through. If it doesn't happen till later on in the year, I bet you they keep Ron and co. for 2018, then when the Panthers suck in 2018, (We've never had back to back winning years so next year we will suck), they can him for their own guy in 2019.

Sounds like Patricia is headed to Detroit, won't be finalized until the Patriots are done though

Josh McDaniels to Indy confirmed.

A league source told Titan Insider that Eagles OC Frank Reich is a candidate for Tennessee's head-coaching vacancy.

Josh McDaniels to Indy confirmed.

Not official until the patriots are done, but I'm not sure I'd want McDaniels