Sign in to follow this  
FSUViking

Aqib Talib in trouble with Johnny Law again

Aqib Talib a “person of interest†in a March 21 shooting

Posted by Mike Florio on March 28, 2011, 10:40 AM EDT

The lockout means that players who may require ongoing attention from their teams in order to keep them out of trouble won’t have that support. Which means that those players could be more likely to get into trouble.

Buccaneers cornerback Aqib Talib, whom coach Raheem Morris once called a “wild child,†fits the profile. And Talib soon could be fitting into a jail cell.

The Dallas Observer reports that the Garland, Texas police department has labeled Talib as a “person of interest†in a March 21 shooting. Per the report, five shots were fired from two guns after an altercation involving Talib’s sister, his mother, and his sister’s boyfriend.

Talib could be charged with discharging a firearm in a municipality (a misdemeanor) to aggravated assault with a deadly weapon (a felony), or anything in between.

“The investigation is ongoing,†Garland Police Department administration supervisor Captain Patrick McCulley told the Observer. “But I can confirm that Mr. Talib is a person of interest in the case.â€

The details aren’t clear, but according to the incident report Aqib Talib and his mother are both suspected of firing shots at Shannon Billings, the boyfriend of Talib’s sister, as Billings ran from them.

Aqib Talib allegedly pulled out a gun while trying to strike Billings. Talib dropped the gun, Billings picked it up and took off running, and Talib’s mother pull out her own gun and fired three shots at Billings. Aqib then allegedly grabbed the gun from his mother and fired two shots of his own.

At the risk of crossing into the melodramatic, this lockout needs to end before a player with real needs for counseling and/or oversight and/or a direct line of communication to his head coach gets into real trouble, or even worse gets killed.

That’s not directed at the league or the players. It’s directed at both sides, and it provides them with a very tangible reason for getting this deal done, now.

SOURCE: PFT

Sounds like the Merriweather situation. Lets wait till the facts come out.

As NBB and KiLa have stated...I'll wait until all the facts come out and let the process of the law mature a lot more with this situation, but fuck me. If he is found guilty of anything and/or has to do some time I hope we drop his stupid immature ass.

A high level of skill is only as good as you being able to PLAY!

:facepalm:

Jimmy Smith at #20 anyone?

Two Tampa-area columnists are pleading for the Bucs to jettison Aqib Talib in the Tuesday morning local newspapers.

Columnists from the Tampa Trib and St. Petersburg Times both make the plea after Talib became a "person of interest" in a March 21 incident that allegedly involved Talib pistol-whipping his sister's boyfriend and shooting at him. Just keep in mind that Talib has not been arrested or charged with any crime.

Knowing the quality of journalism in Tampa Bay (and in general these days), this is probably nothing more than some columnists reaching a conclusion a little too quickly.

Aqib Talib is cooperating with Texas police investigating a March 21 incident for which the Bucs corner has been accused of pistol-whipping and shooting at his sister's boyfriend.

Talib has been questioned as police try to determine who fired "several" gunshots. The boyfriend, Shannon Billings, ended up being arrested on two unrelated charges. He remains in jail. Police will decide later this week whether or not to seek an arrest warrant for Talib. Source: St. Petersburg Times

Well, I guess they didn't wait until later this week. The felony arrest warrant has been issued. He's supposed to turn himself in this week. I guess they aren't just barking up a tree on this one.

Felony warrants huh?

GTFO Talib.

Time to find a replacement...no doubt he gets cut now.

Peace the fuck out...take T-Jax with ya.

Edited by BucD

Texas police have issued felony warrants for the arrests of Bucs CB Aqib Talib and his mother, Okolo Talib.

Talib could face 5 to 20 years in prison after he turns himself in for the second-degree felony charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. A grand jury will hear the case in 4-6 weeks, though it could be months before it goes to trial. The Bucs cannot release players during the lockout. The more pressing issue for Talib is the very real prospect of prison time.

Source: St. Petersburg Times

Jimmy Smith at #20 anyone?

Jimmy Smith isn't exactly a "high character" guy either, but if this Talib stuff gets serious it may be the Buccaneers best move @ #20.

Bucs “deeply troubled†by Talib arrest

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 29, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT

Bucs G.M. Mark Dominik has released a statement following cornerback Aqib Talib’s arrest Tuesday.

“We are deeply troubled by the serious charges filed against Aqib Talib. Due to current labor circumstances, we will withhold any further comment or action,†Dominik said.

The Bucs chose not to comment on Aqib Talib’s situation Monday, but decided to speak up after a warrant was issued for Talib’s arrest.

Many folks in Tampa were calling for Talib to be released before arrest warrants were issued for Talib and his mother. But Dominik can’t do anything about the situation for now because of the lockout.

The Bucs can’t call Talib to see how he’s doing. They can’t help him in any way.

Talib is on his own now, and will face a possible suspension from the league when the lockout ends. Considering Talib’s prior history, we suspect the the team will part ways with him when it’s allowed.

SOURCE: PFT

Guest MikeyDay

Did they say why they were beefing in the first place?

FUCKKKKKKKK! This sucks so much. Our secondary has so much promise and these idiots are ruining it (T-Jax and Talib).

I remember how pissed I was when we didn't get Talib in the draft when he came out a few years ago. Glad we didn't now.

Florio is a moron, the league can't offer a retroactive suspension. The convicts are free to run loose.

Fuckin' hoodlums. How pathetic can these people be? Talib is a joke.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Talib got dropped by the Bucs.

Edited by Irishcoffee

He may not have to worry about being cut....

Florio is a moron, the league can't offer a retroactive suspension. The convicts are free to run loose.

This.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Talib got dropped by the Bucs.

I'd be surprised if they do cut him.

He may not have to worry about being cut....

Thats right. The team decided to keep T-Jax and help 'rehabilitate' him. Why? Because of the talent he brings to the defense. I suspect they will do the same with Talib IF he doesn't end up having to serve any jail time.

Look I hate to say it, because I sure as hell don't think it should be this way but there is a sliding scale of discipline based on talent. If this were a third string WR, we wouldn't even be discussing this. We would all know he'd be getting cut as soon as possible. However, we are talking about probably our best player on defense AND one of the leagues best CBs. So do I condone his actions? Fuck no but I don't think it will be an easy decision for the team to cut him even though he has a history of trouble.

If he is going to face jail time well that means he will be convicted of almost killing a man and in that case, he needs to sit his ass in a cell and be banned from the NFL.

TAMPA - From this point forward, common sense demands the Buccaneers proceed as if Aqib Talib has played his last game here.

If it wasn't clear before Tuesday, it is now.

That's when police in Garland, Texas, issued an arrest warrant after they determined Talib shot at someone with his 9-millimeter handgun during a dispute.

That's called aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

That's a felony, folks.

That also means the Bucs need a new cornerback sooner than they had planned. It sounds to me like that already has been decided.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2011/mar/29/300300/itd-be-a-crime-if-bucs-didnt-cut-talib-after-shoot/sports-bucs/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tbo%2Fbucs+%28TBO+%3E+Bucs%29

this just makes this whole argument people always have of 'talent vs. Character' even more interesting. Especially for the DBs and WRs...

Apparently, dude shouldn't have messed with his sister. Family can make you do crazy things, sometimes...ask Mike Vick.

However; this sort of behavior is unacceptable:

Talib was charged with simple battery and resisting arrest in connection with an assault on a taxi driver in Tampa, Fla. in 2009. Talib was suspended by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for the first game of the 2010 season as punishment for that incident, and the player settled out of court with the cab driver.

Talib's troubles date to 2008, when he was involved in a fight with fellow Bucs rookie Cory Boyd at the NFL Rookie Symposium. In May 2009, Talib wound up inadvertently hitting teammate Torrie Cox in the face with his helmet while fighting with Donald Penn during a minicamp workout.

Source

Edited by SteVo

I'm so glad the Texans didn't draft this guy. (He was heavily linked to them pre-draft 2008)

It's a shame really... He is such a talented cornerback, but apparently he likes getting into trouble more than playing football.

In May 2009, Talib wound up inadvertently hitting teammate Torrie Cox in the face with his helmet while fighting with Donald Penn during a minicamp workout.

:rofl: