Sign in to follow this  
FSUViking

Aqib Talib in trouble with Johnny Law again

The St. Petersburg Times believes Aqib Talib's felony arrest could affect the Bucs' draft plans for next month.

ESPN.com NFC South blogger Pat Yasinkas believes the Bucs are "almost certain" to cut ties with Talib. Beat writer Stephen Holder agrees, suggesting it would happen this week if not for the lockout. With as much cap space as any team in the league, the Bucs could end up as a darkhorse candidate for free agent Nnamdi Asomugha as a Talib replacement.

Source: St. Petersburg Times

What he did was stupid but its not like he was out partying or trying to rape a bitch in a bathroom. Dude seems like he cant control his temper and got into it with his sisters boyfriend. Who knows what the guy did to his sister to make him this angry. I'm not condoning his actions but hes not in the same boat as these guys who just go out drinking and get into random fights at clubs.

What he did was stupid but its not like he was out partying or trying to rape a bitch in a bathroom. Dude seems like he cant control his temper and got into it with his sisters boyfriend. Who knows what the guy did to his sister to make him this angry. I'm not condoning his actions but hes not in the same boat as these guys who just go out drinking and get into random fights at clubs.

True.

But he did punch a cab driver. lol

He'll be cut if he faces jail time (obviously), but if he cuts a deal for a lesser charge and faces no jail time I think they keep him. Either way...Dominik no doubt has changed his draft plans and will draft a CB earlier than originally planned.

Bucs CB Aqib Talib surrendered to Texas police Wednesday morning on charges of felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

He was released on $25,000 bond after two hours at the jail. Talib is in danger of a lengthy prison sentence in addition to league-imposed suspension once the lockout ceases. Commissioner Roger Goodell has made it clear that the league is logging all arrests as NFL players take on a "Wild Wild West" attitude with no Personal Conduct Policy currently in effect.

You'd think, with millions of dollars on the line, these kids would do what they could, to stay out of trouble.

Talib has not been making smart decisions..even long before he came into the NFL. It's a shame...(even though he's a Bucs play) that a guy with so much talent, fucks things up. This really impacts their secondary, because they virtually have very, very, little outside of Ronde Barber...but...thanks Talib for letting our win streak over the Bucs continue for at least another 2 games :D

Soooo....SHOOTING at somebody is not as bad as getting into a fight at a club....?? You're right. He's not in the same boat. He's in an entirely different boat without a fucking paddle. He had a warrant out for felony aggravated assault, not for punching some guy in a Hooters. You may not condone it but you sure as shit are making flimsy excuses for him.

And while we're at it, bar fights and sexual assault don't belong in the same category either. I think I understand what you're trying to say, but you really did do a horrible job of trying to explain it.

You'd think, with millions of dollars on the line, these kids would do what they could, to stay out of trouble.

Money doesn't change a person. It just makes you more of what you were before you had it.

Soooo....SHOOTING at somebody is not as bad as getting into a fight at a club....?? You're right. He's not in the same boat. He's in an entirely different boat without a fucking paddle. He had a warrant out for felony aggravated assault, not for punching some guy in a Hooters. You may not condone it but you sure as shit are making flimsy excuses for him.

And while we're at it, bar fights and sexual assault don't belong in the same category either. I think I understand what you're trying to say, but you really did do a horrible job of trying to explain it.

The point I was trying to make is that there are different reasons that can lead to the same actions. If player A gets into a fight in a club because some dudes were talking smack and then pulls out his gun and shots at said dudes, we'd all say "what a fucking thug, his ass needs to go to jail". If player B confronts his sisters bf because say the guy was beating on his sister, gets into an argument and it escalates to where he pulls out his gun and shots at the guy, I think we might not all be so quick to throw him into the flames.

In both scenarios the player is wrong. You don't just take your gun out and shoot at someone when shit gets heated but you tend to be more understanding based on the circumstances.

So while I think he's an idiot for his actions I'm not putting him in the same group as these morons who are willing to shoot someone just because they made a comment about them at a club.

Basically it's the lesser of two evils, correct?

While I agree with that KiLa, I still am washing my hands with Talib...same with T-Jax. While they both did two different things, they both have fucked up numerous times and have not learned how to act like a fucking grown ass mature man. I hope we let both go.

Are they both talent as can be? Fuck yea they are, but as I said before...what good is said talent when they cannot even stay on the field? I'm tired of the headaches and every time they fuck up they screw this team and it's fans over. Peace out...time to get their replacements in Dom.

My .02 cents.

Basically it's the lesser of two evils, correct?

While I agree with that KiLa, I still am washing my hands with Talib...same with T-Jax. While they both did two different things, they both have fucked up numerous times and have not learned how to act like a fucking grown ass mature man. I hope we let both go.

Are they both talent as can be? Fuck yea they are, but as I said before...what good is said talent when they cannot even stay on the field? I'm tired of the headaches and every time they fuck up they screw this team and it's fans over. Peace out...time to get their replacements in Dom.

My .02 cents.

You bring up a good point. The fact he's fucked up before and has had issues with his temper leads one to believe he might never change and could one day end up killing someone. It seems like these instances have continued to get worse.

You bring up a good point. The fact he's fucked up before and has had issues with his temper leads one to believe he might never change and could one day end up killing someone. It seems like these instances have continued to get worse.

This.

While I agree with your assessment of the situation KiLa, I'd bet good money that this isn't the last time we see Talib's name in the papers...

My question is, what was that dude doing to his sister? Did he have a habit of beating her up? What would any of you do if your sister was getting her ass whipped by her boyfriend on a daily basis?

Apparently his felon of a mother was also taking shots at the dude, who apparently is also under arrest for "unrelated charges".

If this were the only incident I'd say he just lost control of his emotions, but it's not, which points to the fact that he's never had control...

Talib’s Defense: I Didn’t Shoot

March 31st, 2011

It seems Aqib Talib’s legal team might go for the homerun defense, which in Talib’s case would be to claim he didn’t fire a gun at the dude who allegedly was harrassing his sister.

Not self defense. Not temporary insanity. Just unabashed innocence on the felony assault with a deadly weapon charge that has rocked the Bucs.

Rick Stroud, of the St. Pete Times, dished out some details on newly-formed Team Talib preparing to bring its artillery into Texas court.

Talib has retained noted Pittsburgh sports attorney Jay Reisinger, a member of the legal teams that represented Alex Rodriguez, Sammy Sosa and Andy Pettitte. He also has hired Dallas criminal attorney Frank Perez and H. David Lozano, a private investigator of Drake Security Patrol.

Although Talib’s attorneys declined comment Wednesday, privately he’s been adamant that he did not fire a weapon during the domestic disturbance. Talib told Clint Bowen, a co-defensive coordinator during his career at the University of Kansas, that only his mom pulled the trigger.

“I talked to Aqib two days ago,†Bowen said. “I told him, ‘I just read something about you firing a gun.’ He said, ‘Man, I didn’t do a thing. It’ll all come out soon.’ He just kept saying that…He said, ‘I didn’t do that. That was my mom. It’s all going to come out.â€â€™

Isn’t this interesting. As Joe wrote previously, Talib could very well become a sympathetic figure from this case as his legal team paints a picture of a man protecting his family from a dangerous sleazebag.

Now if there’s not enough evidence to prove he used the gun — that doesn’t mean he didn’t — surely Talib will be a playmaker on the field for the Bucs next season unles Mark Dominik and Raheem Morris have crafted a radically new discipline policy.

SOURCE

Either way Taliq is losing. He either (1) takes the charges or (2) throws his mother under the bus.

• Upvote 1

From the same article I sourced from earlier:

Police say Aqib Talib physically assaulted and shot at Shannon Billings, whom The Tribune reports is the boyfriend of the player's sister. Talib's mother also is accused of firing shots at Billings, who wasn't injured.

Earlier in the day, Billings had been listed as a suspect in a disturbance and was charged with assault and interference with an emergency phone call from that incident.

Talib's mother, Okolo Talib, also was involved, police said, and turned herself in Tuesday. When she was booked into jail, she also was charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm, based on a previous conviction, police said. Her bond was set at $30,000, and she remained in jail Tuesday afternoon.

Bucs CB Aqib Talib is now claiming that his mother fired all of the shots at his sister's boyfriend on March 21.

There goes Mom, under the bus. According to the police report, Talib and his mother both fired shots at Shannon Billings. Talib has hired two law firms and a private investigator to back up his claims. Source: St. Petersburg Times

Talib’s lawyer wags finger at media for jumping to “unfair conclusionsâ€

Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2011, 3:34 PM EDT

Attorney Jay Reisinger, who has been hired to represent Buccaneers cornerback Aqib Talib on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, has issued a statement in which the lawyer expresses confidence in Talib’s innocence — and disappointment in the media coverage of the situation.

“It’s important to note that these charges are only allegations, allegations that Aqib vigorously denies,†Reisinger said, per Jason La Canfora of NFL Network. “Given that the charges are only allegations, we are deeply troubled that certain members of media have jumped to unfair conclusions. Aqib is confident once all facts are known, this matter will be resolved favorably and in an expeditious fashion.â€

Well, it’s good to know that Reisinger has extended the since-recorded-time-began streak of lawyers proclaiming the innocence of the criminal defendants they represent.

And while we acknowledge that Talib is entitled to the presumption of innocence in a court of law, the court of public opinion entails no such constitutional protection. Talib has a history of bad behavior, including punching a cab driver and getting into a fight with another first-year player at the Rookie Symposium. Folks naturally are going to be inclined to conclude that he’s guilty as charged or, at a minimum, that he did something he shouldn’t have done in connection with the altercation that, as Talib privately claims, resulted in his mother firing gunshots at Talib’s sister’s boyfriend.

SOURCE

Probably BS that his mother fired all the shots. He's just saying that cause he is making millions so if he stays out of jail, he can still keep money coming for his family.

• Upvote 1

According to the police investigation, Bucs CB Aqib Talib grabbed the handgun out of his mother's hands and fired "a couple of rounds" at Shannon Billings on March 21.

Talib lost his own gun when it slipped out of his hands as he was trying to pistol-whip Billings. Witnesses say Talib's mother then arrived on the scene and began shooting, only to have Talib take the gun and pick up where she left off. Talib has "vigorously denied" that he pulled the trigger despite witness reports to the contrary. In addition to a burglary charge and three failed drug tests at Kansas, Talib has had two fights with teammates and an assault on a taxi driver since entering the NFL. Even if he avoids prison time, his NFL discipline will be harsh. Source: St. Petersburg Times

Well if you've got eye witnesses then that's the case, no? He's done.

Yea it doesn't really matter what he claims and how many times he says it...if they have eye witnesses he's pretty much done.

I understand coming to the defense of your family, but pistol whipping and shooting at the guy is fucking ridiculous. Peace the fuck out Talib.

This Billings person must be a real piece of work too in order to get two different people shooting at you allegedly.

According to the St. Petersburg Times, troubled CB Aqib Talib is "all but gone" from the Buccaneers.

Reporter Rick Stroud says that "barring a last-minute change of heart, or perhaps his exoneration," Talib will be released as soon as the transactions freeze is lifted. The 25-year-old Kansas product has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon for his role in a March 21 shooting in Garland, Texas, and has had numerous other off-the-field issues in the past.