4. Adrian Wilson, Arizona Cardinals

5. Eric Berry, Kansas City Chiefs

6. Michael Griffin, Tennessee Titans

7. Donte Whitner, Buffalo Bills

8. B. Meriweather, New England Patriots

9. Antrel Rolle, New York Giants

10. LaRon Landry, Washington Redskins

10. Antoine Bethea, Indianapolis Colts

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/27282/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-safeties

Edited by BLUE

Brain fart. Edited.

It only takes a Pick 6 in the Super Bowl for Nick Collins to get the respect he deserves. And I am not saying he is a definite Top 3... But I don't think I could put him out of the Top 5. Eric Berry being rated 5th after one season (even though it was a good rookie campaign) surprises me.

It only takes a Pick 6 in the Super Bowl for Nick Collins to get the respect he deserves. And I am not saying he is a definite Top 3... But I don't think I could put him out of the Top 5. Eric Berry being rated 5th after one season (even though it was a good rookie campaign) surprises me.

I thought most had Collins in the top 5 before the season even started. Know some people would rank Wilson over him before, they both had somewhat disappointing seasons but Collins came up big at the end. Berry is pretty high but there really are not that many great safeties out there past Wilson right now.

I thought most had Collins in the top 5 before the season even started. Know some people would rank Wilson over him before, they both had somewhat disappointing seasons but Collins came up big at the end. Berry is pretty high but there really are not that many great safeties out there past Wilson right now.

Maybe around here (TGP). Most people here are a lot more knowledgeable than the talking heads on ESPN. He's been one of the top S in the league for the last like... 3 years minimum. Yet I heard almost nothing about him through sports based sources like ESPN, FoxSports, etc etc. It is time people start realizing what a big cog Nick is to our defense and our football team.

Eric Berry getting the Ndamukong Suh treatment, I see. "Well, he went 5th overall, and his rookie season was decent, so he must be amazing, right?"

I think Meriweather and Rolle are a little too high. Guys like Quintin Mikell and Eric Weddle should be on the list IMO.

Even though he's a LOLt, Bethea should be a little higher. He's pretty underrated.

• Downvote 1

Donte Whitner is the DeAngelo Hall of safeties. He's absolutely terrible in pass coverage, and yet for some reason he gets recognition from the media as being a good football player. If I recall correctly, Whitner is the only player last year that gave up more passing yards/touchdowns than anyone on Houston's fucking terrible secondary.

lmfaoESPNfail. Another fail list. Eric Berry in the top 5 after a solid rookie year? Really? Seeing Merriweather in the top 10 almost made me shit myself. Whitner is a little too high. Otogwe should definately be on the list. No mention of Tanard Jackson is pretty sad too. I know he has off the field issues, but when he is out there, he is a ballhawk.

lmaoESPN...this would be a decent list about 3 years ago

Whitner isn't even on the 3rd best safety on his team anymore. Give me Byrd, Wilson or Aaron Williams... what a joke.

Fail list is fail.

You guys pretty much covered all the points, I'll just highlight the Meriweather one again. What a joke.

I wanted to give the Bills fan's perspective of why Whitner being there is a joke, but everyone else already said the truth. He's gonna be overpaid a lot by some dumb team (that isnt the bills).

I'm surprised to see Griffin so high (and nobody mention it yet) he's a very good safety, but I'm not sure I'd call him #6 in the league

I was also surprised that Berry was ranked so high, but I can't say that I disagree with it. He's far more versatile than people give him credit for being. Just because he wasn't on CBS every week, folks didn't get to see him do what he does week after week.

Eric Berry getting the Ndamukong Suh treatment, I see. "Well, he went 5th overall, and his rookie season was decent, so he must be amazing, right?"

I think Meriweather and Rolle are a little too high. Guys like Quintin Mikell and Eric Weddle should be on the list IMO.

Weddle is pretty good, but I can't see putting him over anyone on this list. As for Suh and Berry, what they did as rookies was nearly unseen before last year from a rookie. Suh had like 11 sacks as a tackle. That's pretty amazing. Berry had 112 "official" tackles and played in the pro bowl as a rookie, plus he's a truly a sideline to sideline guy. Coverage was his weak spot in the beginning of the season, but toward the end, he'd become a staunch cover guy too. Both of these guys deserve the aclaim that they received IMO.

George Wilson >> Donte

Edited by monstersofthemidway
  • Upvote 1

We had 7 safeties make our top 128. While Troy Polamalu is definitely our number 1, here are the other guys who made the top 128.

Ed Reed

Antoine Bethea

Quintin Mikell

LaRon Landry

OJ Atogwe

Earl Thomas

Honorable Mentions: Guys who didn't get past the second qualifying round

Eric Weddle

Michael Huff

Eric Berry

Louis Delmas

Jairus Byrd

Nick Collins (Stuck on the Packers, with all their good players, he didn't get past the first qualifying round)

Kerry Rhodes

Adrian Wilson

1. Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Steelers

2. Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens

3. Nick Collins, Green Bay Packers

4. Adrian Wilson, Arizona Cardinals

5. Eric Berry, Kansas City Chiefs

6. Michael Griffin, Tennessee Titans

7. Donte Whitner, Buffalo Bills

8. B. Meriweather, New England Patriots

9. Antrel Rolle, New York Giants

10. LaRon Landry, Washington Redskins

10. Antoine Bethea, Indianapolis Colts

Donte Whitner what in the fuck!? Why is he even on the list? Bethea is too low as well.

Donte Whitner made it because he is a hard hitter. When he gets a guy, its a highlight reel play. Only problem is, that attempt makes him miss a lot more.

Sorry but Donte Whitner sucks, If the Bills don't want you, then you suck. Brandon Merriweather does not belong in the Top 10. Laron Landry should be higher and I think Brian Dawkins should be on this list, he is stil an elite Safety. Louis Delmas deserves some consideration to. I think the Top 3 right now would be

Ed Reed, Troy Polomalu, and Eric Berry.

I think if Ndamukung Suh wasn't in the league last year Eric Berry would've been Defensive ROY

Sorry but Donte Whitner sucks, If the Bills don't want you, then you suck. Brandon Merriweather does not belong in the Top 10. Laron Landry should be higher and I think Brian Dawkins should be on this list, he is stil an elite Safety. Louis Delmas deserves some consideration to. I think the Top 3 right now would be

Ed Reed, Troy Polomalu, and Eric Berry.

I think if Ndamukung Suh wasn't in the league last year Eric Berry would've been Defensive ROY

I'm not willing to call any rookie top three in his position, my top ten:

Troy Polamalu

Ed Reed

Nick Collins

Antoine Bethea

Adrian Wilson

OJ Atogwe

Eric Berry

Earl Thomas

Brian Dawkins

Louis Delmas

but, honestly, I don't think I'd really rip any order after the top two, it's also interesting after saying that to see that all eight bloggers had the same #1 and #2

No one has no love for Quinton Mikell? :think:

No one has no love for Quinton Mikell? :think:

ask me tomorrow and he might be in my top ten :p seriously, tho, numbers 3-15ish are very close IMO