Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Eagles sign Steve Smith to 1 year deal

http://espn.go.com/n...eve-smith-agree

The Philadelphia Eagles' free-agency bonanza continued Wednesday, when they agreed to a one-year deal with former New York Giants receiver Steve Smith.

"Like I've said many times before, (general manager) Howie Roseman and I are always keeping our eyes open for good football players and players that we think can help our football team win," Eagles coach Andy Reid said in a statement. "And Steve Smith certainly fits that category. He's a Pro Bowl quality receiver that we will work into our offense as soon as he is ready to go. We feel very good about our current group of receivers and Steve adds another dimension to that position. He's played very well against us in the past few years and we're happy to have him on board."

Smith played for the Giants in 2007-2010, totaling 220 receptions for 2,386 yards and 11 touchdowns. Smith made the Pro Bowl in 2009 with 107 receptions for 1,220 yards and seven touchdowns. Last season, he was limited to nine games due to injuries and finished with 48 receptions for 529 yards and three touchdowns.

He is still recovering from microfracture surgery on his knee. Smith visited with the Giants on Monday and Tuesday, including an examination of his knee. Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Smith still had "a ways to go" before being healthy enough to play again.

Smith was expected to re-sign with the Giants, but a source told ESPNNewYork.com that the holdup over Smith's signing has to do with his health and the fact that the receiver likely will not be ready for the start of the season. Apparently the Eagles harbored no such reservations, nabbing Smith away from NFC East rival New York.

Edited by GoodellFTL

First Aso and now Smith? Fuck that...

1159c096-59ba-45ff-9498-fb1a63335ecd.jpg

Still some questions about his knee. But if he's good to go, he's one of the best route runners and possession receivers in the league.

Has Maclin practiced with the Eagles yet? I know he's been out with some undisclosed illness.

Yeah isn't this right after Coughlin said he was long ways away? I'm not excited short term, but this is AWESOME if DeSean gets hurt or Maclin has lingering effects of his illness.

Like I said about the previous signing; the Eagles success will depend on how healthy these fragile players will stay. They will either be a juggernaut on offense or be starting 4th string guys.

John Clayton

So which doctor is right? Giants think WR Steve Smith won't be ready until mid-seasons. Eagles Drs think he'll be ready for opener.

Guest Durant4MVP

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS RIGHT NOW?

If he's 100% healthy for the opener... He's worth every penny. But that doesn't explain the lack of interest from THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. If he is playing Week 1, my guess is they are rushing him back, putting his season and arguabky his career into jeopardy.

*in before BLUE's response*

But, am I the only one shocked right now? Hell, I didn't even know Steve Smith wanted to test the waters let alone leave New York.

And I thought I hated the Eagles before this? This one really fuckin burns me up.

To me this is just a fuck you, we have money to spend let's burn the Giants move. I can't wrap my head around the fact that if Steve Smith had a chance to play as early as the Eagles say, the Giants wouldn't have put up a fight for him. On the same note, who the fuck spends that kind of money for a guy who will be lucky to play 8 games....in a completely different offense.....with a completely different offensive mentality......coming off career threatening injury Isn't the standard in this type of injury that it takes 2 years to return to form ( if you ever do?). Are they just hoping he'll be available for the playoffs? I don't understand it, all I know is I'm FUMING mad right now.

Jerry Reese is currently #1 on my people to beat the shit out of List now. I'll be the first to admit I was the biggest Jerry Reese lover after his first draft with Boss, Bradshaw, Jay Alford, and Steve Smith.....all of whom played a role is Superbowl 42. But his living off that first year has officially come to a screeching hault. We have lost ever single one of those draft picks except for Bradshaw and quite frankly we were beyond lucky to retain him.

The Giants have been one of the best run franchises since it's birth in the 20s.....and Jerry Reese has out us in salary cap hell to the point of which we can't even retain our own key guys. First Boss, now this.

He has had ONE free agent signing that has panned out with Rolle, and that only took us making him the highest paid safety in the LEAGUE. Canty has been a bust, Bernard has been a Bust.....pretty much everyone and he paid them all an absurd amount of money (hence our salary cap woes).

The guy is a scout. And he just plays a GM on TV.....he has fucked this team up pretty badly, and I haven't given up on the season totally solely because outside of Boss he's the o ly significant loss from last years squad (Smith missed 8 or 9 games). Yes we lost Ohara and seubert on the OL but same thing Ohara missed 10 games, we added David baas from SF and seubert bumped to center during oharas absence. If Beatty can play decently at LT we should be ok there. And we should play decent defense with or without osi. While I haven't given up, 8-8 is a strong possibility.

Bottom line.......hit the fuckin road Jerry

Edited by NYGIANTSFLYHIGH

lolSteveSmith. Didn't he say he wanted to remain a Giant and IIRC he was talking shit on the Eagles a while ago about how they have never won a Superbowl.

I guess Maclin's illness must be really bad. Don't know what Steve Smith is going to do though seeing as he won't even be on the field until mid-season. lolEaglesfail

I'm not sure how serious Maclin's illness is. I could have sworn I heard it was mono a while ago, and he's got a lot of the weight back.

I think they might be setting themselves up to pick either DeSean or Smith at the end of the year.

Lmao... I loved the

"By this time next year you will be selling rock in Compton"

great stuff. :rofl:

Jeremy Maclin had mono a while back. I also had mono this Summer, and its a killer virus to get. Can't eat, you have to drool all over the damn place because swallowing is too painful, and you have no physical energy. You just sit around, and naturally you lose tons of weight from the poor diet, being dehydrated, and not getting any muscle activity. I can barely now do what I was capable of in the weight room right before getting it. There's no set recovery time, and it has nothing with how good your system is, how mentally tough you are, or the condition you were in prior to getting it. It can vary from person to person. But for certain, any conditioning you had done prior to getting it, you would probably have to start all over. At this point, he should just be getting back to his normal energy level. He's not ready for combat right now, and will have to somehow gradually get back into football condition, strength and speed, etc, while not getting overworked or hit too much in practice. I doubt he has a bust of a season, but he won't be beasting out early.

As for Steve Smith... 1220 yards, good enough for 8th in the league in 2009. Sounds to me like when NY went to ink a new deal with him, he told them he thought he was worth big bucks, and they said no wait a second, you're injured and need to prove you can be effective with your bum knee before getting that kind of money from us. He thought it was bullshit and insulting, and insisted on making more money, the Eagles front office said hey, we're a little thin at reciever, come on over and we'll steal you from the Giants and take a chance on you. If he proves he can recover and have a strong 2nd half of the season, then teams can consider paying him a little more in hopes to get those 2009 stats out of him. Still, I would think a few more teams would be optimistic about getting potentially a top 10 reciever besides the Eagles, as they've basically got the NFL's dream reciever combo for years to come at WR.

LMAO! OH man, those comments are priceless.

Razor, a) I never knew you were Paki (Kaushik?) and b) why you hating on Steve Smith so much?

Someone's gonna be getting icy snowballs in the face on Nov 20th

Per Rotoworld.com:

Coach Andy Reid estimated that Steve Smith (knee) won't be ready to practice for three or four weeks.

Reid's timetable is even more optimistic than the one given by Giants coach Tom Coughlin. Assuming Smith has no setbacks with his knee, he could be practicing by the start of the regular season. We remain skeptical that Smith will stay healthy and effective this season. Aug 12, 12:23 AM

Source: PhiladelphiaEagles.com