Sign in to follow this  
TrojanRobSFO

New Kickoff Rule Bad for the Game?

New Kickoff Rule Bad for Game  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think new Kickoff Rule bad for the game

I think new 35-yard line kick off rule is bad for the game. Return distance is shortened, and possibility of explosive returns reduced as touchbacks become more likely. Hopefulluy the Competition Committee will reconsider this. What do you think?

• Upvote 1

Welcome, nice intro and thanks for joining.

It is pretty dumb, remember when Devin Hester first got on the scene with his awesome blockers on his kick/punt return team. You knew he was going to score if he ever got a good punt but it was still amazing to watch. They are trying to avoid concussions so they are trying to eliminate the big hits from the head hunters on the kickoff team by never giving the returner a chance.

First of all, welcome to the boards.

I agree that it is a dumb rule. The rule is kind completely eliminating kickoff returns. Almost every kickoff is a touch back now and it is not exciting and the game is losing a dimension that used to be a fun part of it.

yeah kinda silly, and will miss the kick-off game. but i don't watch football for the kick-offs.

Welcome to the boards!

I agree. This rule should be changed. Kickoff returns are a great element of the game.

Welcome to TGP!

I agree with you on this. I also don't like how pussified the game is becoming. It's a collision sport, injuries and stuff are going to happen.

What mostly pisses me off about this rule is that it makes football less of a team game. Special teams are part of the team, and their contributions can greatly alter the outcome of the game. Just ask the Chargers of last year. One thing that this might do, though, is lower the scores of games. This rule might actually help the NFL remain a league that is strong defensively. I kind of like that. Otherwise, though, this rule just needs to be abolished. It's fucking silly.

It's bad for the game overall, it completely destroys the importance of special teams for "safety" when you can get injured on any play, not just a return. It gets rid of guys like Josh Cribbs who are special teams Aces, but not good anywhere else, and it sucks for the fans too, since Kickoff returns are one of the most exciting plays in football, next to a forced fumble and Interception return.

Welcome to the boards!

As for the rule, some of the worse injuries lately have happened on ST, leaving some young players paralyzed. After they reduced the amount of blockers allowed for a wedge, it was obvious they wanted to make special teams safer. While I agree it does take an important aspect out of the game, I would much rather see players able to play longer and have healthier lives after their career.

Welcome my dude!

And I hear the other side of the argument sure (the safety side), but what's a bigger issue is the offense will almost always be having to start from the 20 yard line. There isn't always a return for a touchdown, but its a big deal when the KR goes all the way out past the 35 yard line. It affects alot more people than Josh Cribbs. It makes the game as a whole more about defense, because in this case, the drive will typically start from the 20 yard line, thus drastically decreasing offenses from putting points on the board.

Beyond stupid rule.

When this was implemented, everyone was like....

"This doesn't really mean much, nothing is going to change"

And here we are, after one weekend of football (preseason nonetheless) griping about how it's practically the death of kickoffs and kickoff returns. Complete 180.

I don't honestly get the huge uproar about this. Yeah it kind of sucks that we won't see as many KO's go for TD's and yeah it'll change the game but I don't honestly think it's that big of a deal. Once upon a time before 1994 kickoffs were done at the 35 yard line. They changed it to the 30 so that kickoffs would increase scoring and thus make the game more exciting, which would get the NFL more fans. But over the years they've clearly noticed a bigger increase in injuries because of it.

All they did was correct an obvious mistake they made by choosing higher scores over the safety of human beings. I see so many people here say how sad it is when a past NFL player gets some sort of mental disorder because of all the concussions they had from football, yet those same people are bitching about a change that would apparently reduce the number of concussions and overall injuries to players.

I guess if it turns out it hasn't reduced any injuries then feel free to complain about it, but you guys will probably just get used to it and forget about the change after a couple seasons anyway.

• Upvote 1

I'm not a fan of the lack of kick returns...it devalues nearly everyone on special teams, many young players get their breaks on special teams...might as well just start it on the 20 and eliminate special teams outright...

And here we are, after one weekend of football (preseason nonetheless) griping about how it's practically the death of kickoffs and kickoff returns. Complete 180.

I seem to remember a lot of people, including myself, saying it would change things at the time.

I'm guilty of that...

I didn't think it'd change as dramatically as it did. Probably more like hoped it didn't so we could have that guy that could completely change the tone of the game on a kickoff. Now, we've all realized how big of a change it has made and most of us don't like it.

I see that I'm in the (huge) minority about the new kickoff rule.

I can't wait to read why this is bad though.

I see that I'm in the (huge) minority about the new kickoff rule.

I can't wait to read why this is bad though.

So...

One game into the season, looks like I was right.

Anyone want to change their minds?

So...

One game into the season, looks like I was right.

Anyone want to change their minds?

Nope....

• Upvote 1

Randall Cobb with a big F YOU to Roger Goodell.

• Upvote 1

Nope....

Don't know you, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

Are you one of those people that won't change their mind even if the season plays out other than you figured?

Not being a dick here, just curious.

Don't know you, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

Are you one of those people that won't change their mind even if the season plays out other than you figured?

Not being a dick here, just curious.

I will give you props after a larger sample size....But basing your argument and saying you're "right" after the one and only first game, and after what was an absolutely EPIC kick return that you won't see many times by Cobb, in which he admitted he broke the team rule and vowed to NEVER do it again, is wrong, IMO....

Edited by BLUE

I'm not just referencing the barrel roll return. Didn't Sproles have a pretty good return as well?

It was a punt return on Sproles' return, if I remember correctly....

I think you're right. I'll just say that I think the end result of this rule change is good for the overall wellness of the game. I don't see less KO returns being horrible for the game. More exciting, actually, if the returners take more chances.