BLUE

Week 5 | 49ers vs Buccaneers

5 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

TIME: 04:05 P.M. EST

VENUE: Candlestick Park

Although they've looked sluggish at times and haven't put together a convincing victory, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are tied for first in the NFC South.

The San Francisco 49ers find themselves in a similar position - atop their division thanks to several gritty wins.

In a matchup between surprising division leaders, the Buccaneers look to win a fourth straight game Sunday when they visit a 49ers team hoping to build on a thrilling comeback which capped a successful week-long trip.

Tampa Bay (3-1) travels to San Francisco in a short week after beating Indianapolis 24-17 on Monday night to keep pace with New Orleans in the South. The Buccaneers had some trouble with the winless Colts, trailing 10-0 in the second quarter, and didn't take their first lead until LeGarrette Blount capped the scoring with a 35-yard TD run with 3:15 remaining.

"We just showed what this team is," cornerback Ronde Barber said. "It's a very resilient football team."

It's also a bit of a sloppy team. The Bucs managed to overcome touchdown passes of 87 and 59 yards, as well as 14 penalties for 106 yards.

"It really wasn't pretty the whole time, but that's us," said Josh Freeman, who threw for a season-best 287 yards with a passing and rushing TD.

Winning ugly has been common for Tampa Bay. After rallying from a 10-point, fourth-quarter deficit to beat winless Minnesota 24-20 in Week 2, the Bucs nearly blew a 13-point, fourth-quarter lead in a 16-13 win over Atlanta on Sept. 25.

"Survive and advance. That's what we're after," coach Raheem Morris said. "The fact is you're 3-1. And you're very excited about it. Got a short week and we're going to San Francisco."

Tampa Bay, trying to open 4-1 for the first time since 2005, won at Candlestick Park 21-0 last November. Freeman passed for two touchdowns as the Bucs snapped an eight-game losing streak in San Francisco and won for just the second time in 13 games there.

Duplicating that performance likely won't be easy.

An injured Alex Smith missed that game as the 49ers were held to 189 total yards. San Francisco opened last season with five straight losses, but Smith now has the team in position to start 4-1 for the first time since 2002 - the last time it won the NFC West.

The 49ers (3-1) have a two-game lead atop the division following last Sunday's stunning 24-23 comeback win in Philadelphia. Smith completed 13 of 17 passes for 201 yards and two touchdowns in the second half as San Francisco rallied from a 23-3 third-quarter deficit.

"It's a great character builder for a young team," first-year coach Jim Harbaugh said. "To really know and trust and believe that they can and will do well (and) believe that they are good enough to do well - that's big. That's the way we wanted them to play, and that's the way they played."

The win came after Harbaugh decided to have his team spend a week in Ohio following a 13-8 comeback victory at Cincinnati on Sept. 25.

"We're just following, believing, and great things are happening," Frank Gore said. "As long as we just keep following our leader and keep believing in our leader, we'll be fine."

Gore, who had been bothered by a sprained right ankle and averaged 2.5 yards per carry in the first three games, got on track against the Eagles with a season-best 127 yards on 15 carries.

The 49ers are 28th in the league in total offense at 292.0 yards per game but should find success if they continue to get big games from the two-time Pro Bowl running back. Since the start of the 2007 season, San Francisco is 11-4 when Gore reaches the 100-yard mark and 14-29 when he doesn't.

He'll be facing a Tampa Bay defense that is 11th against the run, allowing an average of 101.0 yards. The Bucs limited Gore to 23 yards on 12 attempts last year.

The 49ers' run defense is coming off a superb showing, holding Philadelphia's LeSean McCoy, the NFC's leading rusher through the first three weeks, to 18 yards on nine carries.

It will now try to slow down Blount, who ran for a season-best 127 yards Monday and is third in the NFL in rushing over the last three weeks with 279.

Source: CBSSports.com

Edited by BLUE

A win here would be huge. The difference between 4-1 and 3-2 is very big, especially when we have the Saints next weekend. We shut the 49ers out last year and it was by far our easiest win. Let's hope we can do the same here. It looks like they have improved though.

Yeah, their pass-rush is great this year and while their O isn't playing all that great, they aren't turning the ball over. 49ers also have one of the best red-zone D's in the league. Unfortunately for us that's also our weakness. Our pass-O should do decent against their mediocre pass D but I don't see Blount doing much.

The good thing is, their O-line isn't playing very well. We should be able to shut down Gore and get some sacks in on Alex. Hopefully the secondary can not get burned this time around. Their receivers aren't that great. It should be a defensive battle, whoever turns the ball over more will most likely be the ones to lose.

NFL isn't do us any favors with our schedule this year. MNF then a trip to the West Coast? Dicks.

I agree with the both of you guys. If our front 4 shows up we should, SHOULD win this game fairly easily.

Were going to need Freeman to let loose in this game which means we have to hope Olsens play calling is favorable. Their secondary is very vulnerable.

Bucs LB Quincy Black (ankle) is inactive for Sunday's game against the 49ers.

He appeared likely to play but couldn't get over the hump for the second straight week. Dekoda Watson will start in his place and played well against the Niners last year, so don't go crazy upgrading Frank Gore.

WR Sammie Stroughter, TE Luke Stocker, T James Lee, G Derek Hardman, LB Zach Diles, and S Devin Holland join him on the inactive list.

49ers NT Isaac Sopoaga (staph infection) is inactive for Sunday's game against the Bucs.

Undersized NT Ricky Jean-Francois will start and LaGarrette Blount gets a bump for the favorable matchup.

QB Scott Tozien, FB Moran Norris, WR Braylon Edwards, OL Michael Person, OL Daniel Kilgore, and CB Tramaine Brock join him on the inactive list.

What did Jim Harbaugh do to the old Alex Smith?

This is unreal.

Jim Harbaugh used his voodoo magic on him...

:Banana::49ers::Banana:

I can't remember the last time I was this excited about the Niners!!!

May be the worst game I have ever seen the Bucs play. Fucking pathetic. This better get their asses waken up cause next week we have the Saints. I want to see this team come out strong. Sick of all the slow starts.

roflBucs

Damn, glad I didn't get to watch this game. Absolutely pathetic. Freeman now has a 1:2 TD:INT ratio. He's being outplayed by Andy fucking Dalton.

Wow. All I have to say is... the Bucs really sucked today. Man, I haven't seen San Francisco win like that in years. Everything went right for the Niners.

I always knew Alex Smith had potential. He just needed a coach he would work with and he got it. The 49ers now sit at 4-1.

All Smith needs is a modern Jerry Rice and we could be looking at a return to the 49ers of the 80's/90's.

Edited by gobadgers77

All phases of the game were dominated by San Fran and it doesn't hurt to get a turnover or two. :)

Edit: help to hurt

Edited by BayAreaBomber

EDIT: All phases of the game were dominated by San Fran and it helps to get a turnover or two. :)

Made a small correction for you Bay :)

4-1... almost halfway to 10 wins! GO GET 'EM NINERS!

lol me. quick typing.

I meant to say doesn't hurt.

Edited by BayAreaBomber

Well, can't wait to listen to the sports radio shows around here tomorrow.

It'll be interesting to hear all of their excuses when they do the podcasts with 620 WDAE next week. If they blame that pathetic performance on a short week and heading out west I'm going to LOL.

It'll be interesting to hear all of their excuses when they do the podcasts with 620 WDAE next week. If they blame that pathetic performance on a short week and heading out west I'm going to LOL.

620 WDAE is what I'll be listening to, though I guarantee Duemig attributes the loss entirely to the travel.

620 WDAE is what I'll be listening to, though I guarantee Duemig attributes the loss entirely to the travel.

It has to be due to travel. The entire team must have gotten stuck in an airport somewhere because none of those motherfuckers showed up the play on Sunday. :bag:

As I figured, on 620 WDAE they said "not trying to make excuses" and then they proceeded to make excuses. Going out west on monday, people hurting, yadda yadda. According to them they were banged up after Monday and it effected them in the game. I can see it being a problem, but 49 to 3?