Maverick

Falcons rip Suh for taunting Matt Ryan

We know that Detroit Lions super-tackle Ndamukong Suh(notes)

doesn't have a lot of respect for quarterbacks — he's exhibited this

through his NFL career with roughing the passer penalties that have been

legit at times, and he's displayed a certain proclivity for twisting

the heads of certain Ohio-based quarterbacks (specifically, Cleveland's Jake Delhomme(notes) in 2010 and Cincinnati's Andy Dalton(notes) in 2011) as if they were bottle tops. But according to several members of the Atlanta Falcons' offense, Suh took things way too far after Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan(notes) was injured on a freak play in the third quarter of the Falcons' 23-16 win at Detroit's Ford Field.

The play, which had Ryan in obvious pain after his right ankle bent in a bad way after he tripped over tackle Will Svitek(notes). Ryan came off the field and returned to action shortly thereafter, but per Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Suh and at least one teammate went over the line verbally.

"I had respect for Suh before the game," Falcons center Todd McClure(notes)

said after the game. "But when Matt was on the ground, the things he

was saying and the trash he was talking was definitely uncalled for.

There are certain things you don't do. [He said], 'Get the cart' and

several other things that I can't repeat."

Receiver Roddy White(notes) agreed. "I lost a whole lot of respect for 90 [suh] today, and also 92 [Cliff Avril(notes)],

the [bleep] they were doing when Matt got hurt. That was unacceptable. …

Like 92 was kicking [Ryan's] feet, saying, 'Get him off the field.' We

don't do stuff like that. We don't rally over guys when they get hurt.

It was just inappropriate behavior. I mean, 'Get the cart'? Are you

serious? Come on. When you compete, you never want to see a guy get

hurt."

[Related: Falcons receiver Harry Douglas talks about Atlanta's win on Y! Sports Radio]

Suh had no specific comment about his alleged comments, saying only that

he was disappointed in the Lions' second straight loss, and remarking

that his run defense isn't what it should be. Ryan just said that he

didn't hear whatever Suh and Avril were saying, which makes sense — you

tend to not hear a lot when you're in that much pain.

Avril had this to say via his Twitter account:

Come on I'm not in the business of hurting not one guy on

the field... I would never taunt anyone on an injury...But if we want

to talk about dirty players look at the film and see who prides

themselves on being dirty...

So, that really didn't help.

While the Lions allegedly showed less than ideal class, Ryan proved

his toughness. "Well, when I first came to the sideline, I didn't know,

because I wanted to make sure the trainers had a chance to look at

it—want to be smart in those situations," Ryan said of the injury. "Once

I came back in and was able to get it taped and move around on it, I

knew I was going to be fine. So, I came back out and told [head coach]

Mike [smith] I was going to be good to go, then came in on third down."

Smith put it more succinctly: His quarterback showed why the Falcons

are comfortable putting the franchise in Ryan's hands. "It just shows

you the resolve and the resiliency of this guy. He got whacked pretty

good; we had to take him into the locker room and really get a good

examination. When I saw him coming out of the tunnel, I was trying like

crazy to see if we could get him back out there for that third down. Can

you go?

"And Matt said, 'Hey, I need to just see if I can put some pressure

on it.' He just took a shot and said, 'Hey, I'm ready to go.' He goes

out there, and his first play back, he completes a third-down

conversion."

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford(notes),

who has faced a number of injury concerns in his short career, also was

hurt in the game. "A guy just fell on me a little bit awkward. I'm

moving around on it okay right now. We'll see," Stafford said of his leg

injury. But Jay Glazer of Fox Sports reported on Sunday afternoon that

Stafford was wearing a walking boot and will have an MRI on Monday.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Falcons-rip-Suh-for-taunting-Matt-Ryan-after-thi?urn=nfl-wp10203

So now we can confirm Suh is disrespectful to quarterbacks both physically and verbally. :facepalm:

So now we can confirm Suh is disrespectful to quarterbacks both physically and verbally. :facepalm:

Why's that a bad thing?

I like attitude. Long as it stays on the field.

Why's that a bad thing?

I like attitude. Long as it stays on the field.

Attitude and taking joy from an opponent's injury are two different things.

• Upvote 2

Attitude and taking joy from an opponent's injury are two different things.

Agreed. If Suh really did do what the Falcons say he did, then that is simply classless. You don't taunt a guy when he's injured, I'm sorry.

This guys such a loser. For someone on a team with a QB that's been injured the last couple years he has some nerve mocking another QB. Karmas a bitch though and Stafford got hurt at the end of the game. Maybe Suh should stop talking shit to QB's and worry about those running backs since he couldn't stop a damn nose bleed.

I didn't know he was injured. Never heard that.

That's inexcusable then.

Also that post was tl;dr so I didn't pick anything up about that.

Pay no attention to my lame first post.

I didn't know he was injured. Never heard that.

That's inexcusable then.

Also that post was tl;dr so I didn't pick anything up about that.

Pay no attention to my lame first post.

Why wouldn't you read it before posting? luls

• Upvote 1

+1 for the avatar

/off topic

Cuz it was too long, I said that.

Cuz it was too long, I said that.

I think most people just skip the thread if it's too long. What's the point of posting in it when you have no idea what it's about lol.

Like 92 was kicking [Ryan's] feet, saying, 'Get him off the field.'

ok, if Suh kicked Ryan's feet he needs to be fucking suspended, it's not the verbal taunting that bothers me, you can't have players literally kicking their opponents when they're down. Although I imagine it didn't actually happen since the refs usually keep players away from injured players, but if Suh actually did kick Ryan's feet after Ryan hurt his legs, that's not something the league can condone, even if it's just one game I think Suh would need to be suspended, and that claim would be pretty easy to verify.

ok, if Suh kicked Ryan's feet he needs to be fucking suspended, it's not the verbal taunting that bothers me, you can't have players literally kicking their opponents when they're down. Although I imagine it didn't actually happen since the refs usually keep players away from injured players, but if Suh actually did kick Ryan's feet after Ryan hurt his legs, that's not something the league can condone, even if it's just one game I think Suh would need to be suspended, and that claim would be pretty easy to verify.

92 would be Cliff Avril. :yep:

And I very much dislike Matt Ryan. Think he is super overrated by most people. However, this kind of behavior is just not acceptable. I know guys talk trash ALL the time after a sack, or a big hit, or a turnover... But when a guy is writing in pain on the field? If the injury would have been more serious, I think you would have seen an even bigger outcry from the media and the general public.

• Upvote 1

I think most people just skip the thread if it's too long. What's the point of posting in it when you have no idea what it's about lol.

Yeah I know that was dumb of me to post.

Just don't pay attention to what I said or if a mod wants to delete all my posts in this thread that'd be good too.

Thanks.

I don't care who the QB is, or how bad he is. You don't taunt an opponent when he is down with an injury.

And yes, if Avril actually kicked at Ryan, he should be suspended.

Edited by Thanatos19

After watching this game, and last week... I think it's safe to say that some players on this team think that we are better as a team then we really are, the 5 wins is getting to there heads. We need to be bought back to earth... Hard imo....

I see how this may been seen as dirty and all... But if my memory serves me right, Ryan was hurt on the ground in pain once... And everyone was surprised when he got up from that injury... Not saying that it's not possible, but what are the likelihood that a player goes down, is hurt and is in pain. and another player yells to get a cart, and it's considered classless and taunting?

But I think you'd have to be more then naive to take White's word that Avril stepped on Ryan's leg when he was down in a taunting manner. Avril was nowhere near Ryan in the process of Ryan falling, being surrounded by his linemen or even being helped up. When would he of done it? And more importantly, nobody aside from White saw it? I don't buy it.

• Upvote 1

If this is true...Suh will go from one of my fav. players in the league to Philadelphia Eagle shit in a matter of seconds. I don't really care what you say..it's whatev..but when you fucking make inappropriate actions to an injured player..you're just calling for fucking jihad.

92 would be Cliff Avril. :yep:

my bad, I typed that quick, thanks for the correction

But I think you'd have to be more then naive to take White's word that Avril stepped on Ryan's leg when he was down in a taunting manner. Avril was nowhere near Ryan in the process of Ryan falling, being surrounded by his linemen or even being helped up. When would he of done it? And more importantly, nobody aside from White saw it? I don't buy it.

somewhere in that post I said I didn't think it actually happened, just that the league should look into it (which would be ridiculously easy) and if he did kick his foot then he should be suspended

I almost wish Dallas would have finished the week four game at something like 41-3 or 41-10, because Detroit wouldn't be set up for collapse. They'd have been brought back to earth early, and wouldn't have gotten so damn cocky and ridiculous. Suh is really starting to get on my nerves. I understand that there can be false accusations about a player being dirty, but once the amount of headlines adds up to a certain number, I think we can confirm the assertion.

Detroit needed the ass kicking that Dallas didn't finish. Now they're set up for a potential collapse. If they lose to Denver next Sunday, they are not making the playoffs. Granted, Matt Stafford is going to experience growing pains this year, considering how little he played in his first 2. He's showing signs of relying too much on Johnson and Pettigrew. This team should finish 10-6, but they could easily fall to 9-7. I don't know. Maybe they'll surprise me and pick it back up.

Who cares? If he was actually kicking him then I would have a problem, but he obviously wasn't. And the whole thing with them kicking at Ryans feet? That's all hear say as well. No one else had seen it? It's not on camera anywhere or it would be much bigger news else-where.

This game NEEDS guys like this, guys who step up and talk trash. I think the whole "Oh he's talking trash to an injured player, wah" bullcrap is stupid. It's just part of the watered down goody goody NFL of today. Years ago it was nothing like this. In the 90's, if a player was on the ground, you seen everyone talking trash. The great LT, Dick Butkus, Jack Tatum, those guys were known as pyscho's on the field. If they lit you up, you knew you were getting screamed at and told to get off the damn field if you cried. And if they were coming at you, you were scared. Why? Because you knew they were TRYING to injure your ass. None of this "wrap them up" crap. They were knocking the shit out of you, then telling you that you were a bitch.

No one complained. Because the NFL was built on this stuff. Even one of the most respected guys in the NFL today used to use this sort of stuff as intimidation, his name is Ray Lewis. Not so much anymore, but he used to be ferocious when he first came in the league.

Who cares? If he was actually kicking him then I would have a problem, but he obviously wasn't. And the whole thing with them kicking at Ryans feet? That's all hear say as well. No one else had seen it? It's not on camera anywhere or it would be much bigger news else-where.

This game NEEDS guys like this, guys who step up and talk trash. I think the whole "Oh he's talking trash to an injured player, wah" bullcrap is stupid. It's just part of the watered down goody goody NFL of today. Years ago it was nothing like this. In the 90's, if a player was on the ground, you seen everyone talking trash. The great LT, Dick Butkus, Jack Tatum, those guys were known as pyscho's on the field. If they lit you up, you knew you were getting screamed at and told to get off the damn field if you cried. And if they were coming at you, you were scared. Why? Because you knew they were TRYING to injure your ass. None of this "wrap them up" crap. They were knocking the shit out of you, then telling you that you were a bitch.

No one complained. Because the NFL was built on this stuff. Even one of the most respected guys in the NFL today used to use this sort of stuff as intimidation, his name is Ray Lewis. Not so much anymore, but he used to be ferocious when he first came in the league.

I've honestly never heard of any of those guys talking trash to someone when they were actually injured, and even if they did I think it's ridiculous to think it's okay to do that just because some guys back in the 70's-90's were douche bags about it. That's exactly what talking trash to an injured player is, being a douche bag.

Being tough on the field is one thing but when someone is actually having a moment where they may be injured and out for multiple games or the season, you're supposed to be respectful. It has nothing to do with the game becoming goody goody, those players know any one of them could get injured at any moment and end their season or even their career. Taking that for granted is foolish.

Edited by Shotgun
  • Upvote 1

There are players I absolutely hate in the NFL, but I would never support another player taunting them if they were injured. If a cart were being called for actual help I wouldn't be upset but it is being made out to sound like the call for the cart was in a taunting, dickhead way, and that's not acceptable. The NFL is a job, but remember, football is just a game in the grand scheme of things. I absolutely LOVE the NFL but a player's health is more important. There is nothing respectful or good about what Suh & Avril did. This just adds on to my "Dirty Things Suh Has Done" list...

Suh took it a step further.

"To me it's karma," he told the Detroit Free Press. "For all the bad stuff they've done in the past, their offensive lineman hurt their own QB. So I'll leave it at that."

Suh might leave it there, but we're sure the Falcons won't.

Edited by BayAreaBomber

^Suh is not coming out and denying it, which is the most interesting part. And lets be honest...what happens in the trenches in general is dirty..and it's not like Svitek purposely hurt Ryan. Suh's really making remarks that aren't necessary. I appreciate the man's desire and heart for football..but there's no need to be a twat about it.

Karma for the bad stuff they've done? lolwut. Did they rob some elderly people or something? Exactly what have the Falcons done that's so bad?