RANGA

20,000 Fans Sign Petition To Stop Nickelback From Playing In Thanksgiving Game

Over 20,000 Detroit rock fans have signed a petition calling for Nickelback to be ditched as the half-time entertainment during a high-profile football game. The Canadian band have been booked to appear at the nationally-televised Thanksgiving game between the Detroit Lions and the Green Bay Packers on November 24.

But thousands have come out in support of an online campaign to have them replaced.

The Change.org petition reads: “Do we really want the rest of the US to associate Detroit with Nickelback? Detroit is home to so many great musicians… and they chose Nickelback?

“Does anyone even like Nickelback? Is this some sort of ploy to get people to leave their seats during half-time to spend money on alcoholic beverages and concessions?

“This is completely unfair to those of us who purchased tickets to the game. At least the people watching at home can mute their TVs.”

Supporter Robert Jones says: “As a professional music producer, engineer, songwriter and lifelong Lions fan, I am disgusted with the choice of Nickelback as a representation of music and culture in Detroit.

“Our city is famous for the creation of an entire genre: Motown. Not to mention very strong hip-hop, DJ, and rock and roll scenes.

“Nickelback’s music doesn’t even reflect a musical genre that has ever been popular in the city. It is not rock and roll, its a nasty hybrid of the worst manufactured music on the planet.”

Lions fan Scott Brown says: “I am a 30-plus year season ticket holder with a vow never to be seen at a Nickelback show. I shouldn’t have to choose between the Lions and Nickelback.”

But the band have a strong following in Motor City, which has a history of adopting rock bands before the rest of the US.

Local radio boss Doug Podell tells Freep: “They broke out of here, they’ve been extremely popular here, and I think they’ve sold out pretty much every show here since the beginning.

“Rock audiences ought to be happy about these guys — they’re one of the few rock acts left that can still play a halftime show. There aren’t many of that stature anymore.

“It doesn’t matter how vocal the elite 1% gets about it. Detroit loves its mainstream rock, and more so than other cities.”

:rofl:

:rock: Detroit

Yeah. Detriot FTW :yep:

You guys want to know a sad fact? Nickelback is the top selling artist in the United States from 2000-2010. When I was little I thought they sounded ok but I soon realized that they are absolutely awful and that every single song they put out sounds EXACTLY like the song before it on the CD. These guys don't know if they're rock or country or grunge. I know what you are. You guys are shit music artists. Stop releasing music.

That's awesome.

LOLNickelback

I'd love to see Nickelback's reaction to this...

...good job Detroit. :yep:

I used to somewhat like Nickelback and even I think this is funny as hell.

You know, I'm not a Nickelback fan, but I'm confused as to why there's such a focus of hate on them and how similar all their music is over a lot of other bands that quite frankly are just as bad or worse and have been extremely popular themselves. It seems to have become more of a cult-hate movement. They really aren't much different from a lot of bands that are popular in the U.S. The same goes for most current hip-hop artists as well.

I was one of them. I'd hate to have to mute my TV for a halftime show at Thanksgiving...

So your saying that you signed this petition? Dmac, don't you have season tickets to the Lions, why aren't you going to the Thanksgiving Game?

You know, I'm not a Nickelback fan, but I'm confused as to why there's such a focus of hate on them and how similar all their music is over a lot of other bands that quite frankly are just as bad or worse and have been extremely popular themselves. It seems to have become more of a cult-hate movement. They really aren't much different from a lot of bands that are popular in the U.S. The same goes for most current hip-hop artists as well.

Ya... I don't really get it either. I am not a huge fan of theirs... But I don't find their music any worse than the other shit in the mainstream these days.

So your saying that you signed this petition? Dmac, don't you have season tickets to the Lions, why aren't you going to the Thanksgiving Game?

I do but I probably won't be going... I got a huge project that's more then likely gonna be keeping me busy =X

Someone, somewhere, decided they really hated Nickelback, and then hating Nickelback became the cool thing to do.

They may not be that good, but not every single one of their songs is dog shit. I could name worse bands that get more air time on the radio...

They may not be that good, but not every single one of their songs is dog shit. I could name worse bands that get more air time on the radio...

Yeah I agree. I don't even think a lot of their songs even sound as alike as people make them out to be. Metallica has been hugely popular for a long time and their music sounds more alike than Nickelbacks. They have maybe 1 differing song on every CD. But you know what? That's pretty much what music is these days. Most people find a band with a certain sound that they really enjoy and they like the fact they keep most of their music so similar. Some people just try to act like music snobs. Not everything or everyone has to make something an artful masterpiece.

This guy hating on Nickelback is like Roger Ebert hating on 90% of Adam Sandlers movies. Who really gives a shit. Just because he and the other 20,000 people that signed it don't like Nickelback doesn't mean there won't be 5 million people enjoying the show at home. And if they are as popular in Detroit as this Doug Podell guy says they are there's probably going to be a lot of people in the stadium that like them also.

The argument that Nickelback's songs all sound alike is so invalid it irks me. You want a band whose music all sounds alike? How about AC/DC. And they're in the rock n' roll hall of fame.

I would give credit to Detroit for doing this, but I am not going to because I know in the back of their minds they wanted Kid Rock to perform instead and he isn't any better.

While I can agree with a lot of the posts, comparing Nickelback to Metallica and AC/DC bothers me.

Should have chose Theory of a Deadman. imo

Kid Rock however would have been ideal and the guy probably would have done it. No one beats Kid Rock live, NO ONE.

Edited by Chris D

I just dislike Nickelback and not because "it's cool..."

:shrug:

I know I can be a bit of a music snob, but Nickelback is actually one of the better modern rock bands out there. Of the popular scene, that is, among artists such as RED. Nickelback have some great songs.

The way I see it, nobody would hate Photograph if they'd written it. That song may have been overplayed, but it is amazing.

Fuck Nickelback. Get Eminem to do a halftime show...rep yo city MOTOWN :yep: