BucD

Falcons not happy that Saints went for record

Per PFT:

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 27, 2011, 8:57 AM EST

The Saints got the ball back at the 33-yard line Monday night, up 38-16, with just over five minutes remaining.

Drew Brees needed 30 yards at the time to break Dan Marino’s record. The Saints would usually be running the ball in that situation. But this wasn’t a usual situation.

Saints coach Sean Payton clearly wanted to get the record on Monday Night Football. He admitted so after the game.

“Typically, would I be throwing it there? The answer would be probably not. In fact, the answer would be ‘I wouldn’t be.’ But I thought it was appropriate that we get the record. And we did it,” Payton said, adding how much he respected the Falcons.

After a one-yard run by Pierre Thomas on the second play of the drive, the Saints kept throwing. We didn’t have a problem with the strategy. There’s no rule saying the Falcons couldn’t stop Brees.

Payton and Brees were trying to get the record out of the way and celebrate on a special night in New Orleans. Not everyone agrees with our view.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports questioned whether the approach was “classy.” Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com criticized the Saints, saying that running up the score took some shine off the record. Falcons players agreed.

“No need for that,” one player told Prisco. “It came on our watch, but it didn’t have to come that way. We won’t forget it.”

Falcons coach Mike Smith said only positives about Brees after the game, but Prisco writes via team sources that Smith wasn’t happy with Peyton’s decision to go for it.

“That’s just who they are,” the Falcons player said. “We’ll see them down the road. We won’t forget any of it.”

That’s the beauty of this situation. There’s a strong chance that “down the road” will be in two weeks, when the Falcons possibly head back to the Superdome in the Wild Card round.

Let's completely leave out the fact that earlier (much earlier in fact) in the 4th quarter we started running out the clock.

We only went for the record when they gave us the ball with just enough yards to go to get the record.

If they didn't want us to get the record on their watch then they should have kept their drive alive.

Let's completely leave out the fact that earlier (much earlier in fact) in the 4th quarter we started running out the clock.

We only went for the record when they gave us the ball with just enough yards to go to get the record.

If they didn't want us to get the record on their watch then they should have kept their drive alive.

...or stopped them...

lolFalcons

Eh, this was an exception to the normal rule. Normally, this would be a little un-classy, but he's going for the record on this one. They did run it once, if Thomas gains 3 more yards, Brees can't get it.

I don't know. I don't really like either team, so I don't really care, lol. Glad to see at least one of them get embarrassed on MNF.

Yea the Falcons and the press need to stop crying over this, if the Falcons where in the same situation and it was Matt Ryan going for the record then they wouldn't be saying a damn thing so they to STFU. Also I love how the two press members seem to be hating on the fact it has been broken like they don't want it to have happened.

"wasn't classy"? "took the shine off the record"? "No need for that"?

What a bunch of whiny, jealous, hypocritical faggots.

The Atlanta Falcons aren't actually mad about the record...

they're mad because the Saints proved to everybody that the only reason the Falcons are in the playoffs is to get their asses whupped in the first round. Have fun going to New Orleans, Dallas, or New York.

Boom.jpg

Lawl.

Actually the Falcons could quite easily take the Giants or the Cowboys, (they wouldn't be favorites, but it wouldn't be a shocker to me. Both teams have played worse than the Falcons in many games and inconsistent).

But that's not going to happen, because they're going to have to go back to New Orleans.

Edited by Thanatos19

I don't mind at all what the Saints do... I just wish we would. Drew Brees is padding stats late in games by throwing TDs with 2 minutes left and up by 30... while the Packers pull everybody in the 4th Qtr up by fewer points..

If Aaron finished these games like the Saints have Brees do... He'd have the yardage record and the TD record pretty easily.

Grr.

Actually the Falcons could quite easily take the Giants or the Cowboys, (they wouldn't be favorites, but it wouldn't be a shocker to me. Both teams have played worse than the Falcons in many games and inconsistent).

But that's not going to happen, because they're going to have to go back to New Orleans.

Tony Romo and Eli Manning are both light years better than Matt Ryan, and that will be a major difference come playoff time. Either way, they're gonna get the 5 seed, methinks, so yeah, they'll go to New Orleans.

Sounds to me that the Falcons are trying to play the "Feel sorry for us because we suck!" card.

Suck it up! You guys had multiple chances to make it a game and failed.

Since Brady is gonna break it next week it's not that big a deal. This was only a matter of time to be broken.

I don't mind at all what the Saints do... I just wish we would. Drew Brees is padding stats late in games by throwing TDs with 2 minutes left and up by 30... while the Packers pull everybody in the 4th Qtr up by fewer points..

If Aaron finished these games like the Saints have Brees do... He'd have the yardage record and the TD record pretty easily.

Grr.

I'm not really sure how many Saints games you've watched, but the Saints don't normally let Brees sit in and pad stats, (remember the 62-7 beatdown of Indy where they pulled him in the 3rd). They were just going for the record on MNF in front of the home fans. It's not a consistent trend and he's not padding stats by doing this on a regular basis.

Even though this is a nice record and all.... is anyone like me and kind of... lacking in the care department?

I know I am. If Dan Marino played in today's NFL he might have passed for 6,000 yards. In today's NFL the defenses practically aren't allowed to do anything.

I know I am. If Dan Marino played in today's NFL he might have passed for 6,000 yards. In today's NFL the defenses practically aren't allowed to do anything.

That actually doesn't take away from the fantastic year that Brees is having.

They showed a stat on MNF before the beginning of the game, giving Dan Marino's YPG compared to the league average, (in his time, of course), and Brees YPG compared the league average now.

The difference between Brees and the league average now was the larger of the two. He's having a fantastic year that is still only 2nd-best in the NFL because Rodgers turns the ball over only half as much.

Edited by Thanatos19

That actually doesn't take away from the fantastic year that Brees is having.

They showed a stat on MNF before the beginning of the game, giving Dan Marino's YPG compared to the league average, (in his time, of course), and Brees YPG compared the league average now.

The difference between Brees and the league average now was the larger of the two. He's having a fantastic year that is still only 2nd-best in the NFL because Rodgers turns the ball over only half as much.

He also has ONE HUNDRED more attempts than Aaron does... Which baffled me a little bit.

More attempt could easily be the defense had more stops and gave Drew the ball back more meaning he had more opportunities to pass than Aaron.

Also in regards to Marino throwing for 6,000 with all the rule changes.

As I recall in 84 most teams were geared to stop the run not the pass back then. Also DB's have gotten faster and stronger. Defensive playcalling has gotten more intricate and confusing.

The only two teams really passing back then were the Chargers and the Dolphins and the Fins did it without a running game essentially the whole time Marino was there.

If you want to put an asterik next to the record then go ahead. But remember that Namath held the record at 4007 until Fouts. Fouts broke the record the very next year and twice more after they came up with the chuck rule of DB's not clubbing the WR's the entire way down the field. So everyone should get an asterik after Namath.

More attempt could easily be the defense had more stops and gave Drew the ball back more meaning he had more opportunities to pass than Aaron.

That's true but I think people are more surprised Rodgers isn't far behind with 122 fewer attempts. That's just because the Saints run a lot more of a dink and dunk and have thrown plenty to RB's/Slots. Rodgers is pretty much always throwing to a WR or Finley, and has 2 WR's that are great at YAC.

Alot of Brees total yards comes in YAC too, I believe. :troll:

Yeah, Darren Sproles is a huge part of that passing game.

Rodgers has more YPA/YPC because GB is more of a big-play explosive offense than New Orleans is.

Soo to say that Aaron Rodgers is the better QB isn't that far of a stretch..AMIRITE?!