Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

How good is Eli Manning?

A lot of people think he is top 5 now and some people in the shoutbox are even considering putting him over Brees. Would just like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I think I would put him at 5 or 6 behind Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers and possibly Big Ben.

I would put him over Peyton as of now for several reasons, mostly because I doubt Peyton will ever play exactly as good as he used to. I would put Eli at #4 right now with a legit possibility for him being #3. He just had one of, if not the greatest clutch seasons in NFL history... and he puts up pretty damn good numbers as well. I think Ben could pass him again next season, but as of RIGHT NOW, I would put him over Ben as well.

definitely behind Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and a healthy Peyton, after that it's him, Big Ben, and Rivers IMO and I'm not sure how I'd rank those three

I don't get it.

1 great year and all the sudden you're in talks with Tom Brady and Brees and Peyton (before injured)...

Not to say that Eli isn't a good QB. But he's not top 5.

I mean I saw an article of a guy trying to prove that Eli was better than Peyton if he wins this game and I couldn't believe what I was reading...

He won 2 super bowls but was his 2007 season great? No, not really just in the playoffs. He's had 1 elite season imo. Which was this one.

People are gonna differ from my opinion but that's just what I think.

Rodgers

Brady

Brees

Roethlisberger

Peyton - if he can be even half as good as he was before

Eli

Once again, not to say he isn't good or nothing. Congrats to him on a fantastic season, he definitely deserves credit for this win.

Edited by badgers
  • Upvote 1

I don't get it.

1 great year and all the sudden you're in talks with Tom Brady and Brees and Peyton (before injured)...

Not to say that Eli isn't a good QB. But he's not top 5.

I mean I saw an article of a guy trying to prove that Eli was better than Peyton if he wins this game and I couldn't believe what I was reading...

He won 2 super bowls but was his 2007 season great? No, not really just in the playoffs. He's had 1 elite season imo. Which was this one.

People are gonna differ from my opinion but that's just what I think.

Rodgers

Brady

Brees

Roethlisberger

Peyton - if he can be even half as good as he was before

Eli

Once again, not to say he isn't good or nothing. Congrats to him on a fantastic season, he definitely deserves credit for this win.

The playoffs are a great time to be great.

I would like him to put up a couple more truly great statistical performances. Because, honestly... This year was his first completely awesome year in that regard.

But honestly.. does he even need it? He makes the big plays in crunch time and plays his best under pressure.

Not a whole lot more you can ask for. Definitely Top 5... I'd probably put him above Brees just because I think Brees is overrated for his ability to pad stats...

• Upvote 1

I would like him to put up a couple more truly great statistical performances. Because, honestly... This year was his first completely awesome year in that regard.

But honestly.. does he even need it? He makes the big plays in crunch time and plays his best under pressure.

Not a whole lot more you can ask for. Definitely Top 5... I'd probably put him above Brees just because I think Brees is overrated for his ability to pad stats...

*Sean Payton's ability to pad stats. It's 100% Payton's decision to keep Brees out there to load up the score board if I'm not mistaken. They asked Brees about it after a few games this year and he was unsure as to why he was still in the game as they were up by 30.

Regardless of the decision-maker in the process, I have no doubt that Eli, along with several other QBs in the league, could also break Marino's record if they threw as much as Brees.

Regardless of the decision-maker in the process, I have no doubt that Eli, along with several other QBs in the league, could also break Marino's record if they threw as much as Brees.

Ya.. I bet at least the Top 10 QBs could break that record if they had 650 attempts or whatever CRAZY number Brees had.

Don't get me wrong.. I don't want to make this into some Brees bash party.. But the guy thrives in the dome (like most QBs) and relies a lot on that for his stat padding, etc.

Put him in Lambeau or MetLife for 8 games and I doubt he puts up the same numbers, even with the same number of attempts.

I would put him at #4 or #5. I don't believe Peyton will play again and if he does, he will not be effective. As for Eli, he is a good QB and is clutch but he just isn't on the same level as Rodgers, Brees, or Brady. Some believe top 5 means elite but I'm basing it off how others plays and Rodgers, Brees, and Brady have clearly outplayed Eli Manning.

I still think the most impressive of Brees' stats is the fact that the first time he broke 5k yards he did it without a 1k yard receiver, yes, Colston was hurt for five games and probably would have hit 1k if he'd stayed healthy (he had 760 in 11 games) but Brees was still able to put up the same numbers without his top target

Because Peyton isn't coming back (Quote me, don't, whatever, he's done as the Peyton we once knew), my list would be.

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Drew Brees

3. Tom Brady

4. Ben Roethlisberger

5. Philip Rivers

6. Eli Manning

7. Matt Schaub

8. Tony Romo

9. Matt Ryan

And then the rest are a ways back, but if you want a 10th guy, I'm saying Cutler. I've seperated them into tiers to basically say that the top three guys are 1a, 1b, 1c and that sort of thing.

Eli is MOST DEFINITELY better than Phyllis.

:nope: Well it's not definite, anyway. They're close but I give the edge to Rivers for being the best regular season QB three years in a row. Eli had a great postseason yes, but the Chargers were a tiebreaker out of the exact same situation the Giants had.

I think he's above Brady, too. Brady would have no rings if not for Spygate.

Are you being serious right now?

Tom Brady was probably 5th-7th best when he won his third superbowl, and cracked the top 3 when the Patriots became a gunslinging team well after their dynasty run. Eli is probably as good as Tom Brady was when he won his 2nd or 3rd superbowl. He's getting a little bit too much of the credit and had an excellent supporting cast. They each won it with teams that excel at defensive schemes and rushing the passer. They each were a huge part of winning all of the superbowls they have collectively won, but it's like I said in that other thread a few weeks back. The role of the quarterback in a team built to win championships is not as much to win the game as it is to not loose the game and play solid, mistake-free football.

If you didn't consider Eli Manning near the top before this game, then he probably shouldn't be 3-4 slots higher than you had him just because of this win.

• Upvote 1

1. Rodgers

2. Brady

3a. Eli

3b. Ben

5. Brees

• Upvote 1

How does the Giant's defense get no credit for either of these Superbowl wins? Both times they shutdown the Pat's offense and made Brady look bad. They deserve credit for both wins. Manning played well in both games and led 2 great drives, but he wouldn't have been in that position if it wasn't for the defense.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

How does the Giant's defense get no credit for either of these Superbowl wins? Both times they shutdown the Pat's offense and made Brady look bad. They deserve credit for both wins. Manning played well in both games and led 2 great drives, but he wouldn't have been in that position if it wasn't for the defense.

What? Pretty sure the Giants D got pretty much all of the credit for their last win, minus the Tyree catch and everything else on that drive.

BIG BLUE, STOMPED THEM OUT.

The Giants let Brady drive down on them twice in this game. He was 27-41 276 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT. Not exactly a terrible game. The defense played amazingly in the first game and pretty good tonight, but Eli and his offense won both games.

What? Pretty sure the Giants D got pretty much all of the credit for their last win, minus the Tyree catch and everything else on that drive.

BIG BLUE, STOMPED THEM OUT.

All I see is how Eli Manning is an elite QB now and all this but not a single mention of the defense. In 07 they got a lot of credit but now it seems like people forget. Or at least that's what seems like reading some of the article/comments on Bleacherreport.

Zack, I don't see how the offense won the games for them. Manning would have never had the chance to win either game if the Giant's D didn't shut down an offensive juggernaut. They held one of the best offenses in league history to 14pts in 2007 and now only 17 this past matchup. The defense won both games for the Giants.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

OK, first and foremost, this Pats team was nothing even close to an "offensive juggernaut." Their offense relied on Brady to Gronk setting everything else up. Welker still catches a million balls but rarely do you feel as though he himself beat you unless he caught for well over 100 yards. The Patriots top 3 WRs go by the names of Deion Branch, Wes Welker, and Chad OchoCinco. Which of those three are you actually scared of?

The Giants defense played a wail of a game, but you can't credit them too much for shutting down an injured Gronk and 3 washed up receivers. Eli still had to convert on four crucial drives, and he did just that. While I still hesitate to consider him elite based on the fact that the team surrounding him on both of his Super Bowl runs was so strong, but it's kind of hard to actually compose an argument against him. The guy gets it done. I'll take him over Peyton.

The Giants were by far the best team in the NFL this season, and even if the Pats had snuck out a win, I'd still make that statement. The Pats had no business being in this game, but credit the absolute superiority of Brady and Belichek for carrying an injured Gronk and a bunch of sub-par surrounding players for 4 quarters.

One quick edit, I'm not hesitant to rate Eli as elite based on stats, but I am hesitant to do it after he wins a Super Bowl, because every time you want to put a QB in a higher tier after a Super Bowl win, two names should come to mind:

1. Trent Dilfer

2. Brad Johnson

And you also have to consider greats like Dan Marino, who never won Super Bowls. Were they "not elite" at the time because of that missing ring? Of course not. Do you knock Barkley and Ewing for never winning NBA championships? No. I don't like crowning individuals after their entire TEAM was crowned for a TEAM achievement.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Eli is definitely a Top 5 QB. Top 3? Arguable, but I'd still take Rodgers, Brady and Brees over him. I think he slots in nicely at 4, with Big Ben at 5.

• Upvote 1

Was anyone saying Eli was Top 5 when the Giants were 7-7?

Yeah, he is clutch, I'll give him that... I don't consider him ELITE despite having 2 Super Bowls...

I may be wrong... What do I know lol... I would still take Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees over Eli