Sign in to follow this  
BucD

Update: Drew Brees is "livid" about being franchise tagged

Per RotoWorld:

Jeff Duncan of the New Orleans Times-Picayune fully expects exclusive franchise player Drew Brees to skip Saints offseason workouts next month.

The ominous signs for the 2012 season are snowballing in New Orleans. Team leader Brees doesn't want to lose leverage in contract talks by giving in on offseason workouts. The Saints are in danger of losing Pro Bowl LG Carl Nicks, No. 1 receiver Marques Colston, and deep threat Robert Meachem. Without a first-round pick thanks to last year's Mark Ingram trade, the Saints could lose further draft picks as a result of the "bounty" scandal.

Mar 8 - 5:21 PM

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Per PFT:

Duncan says Brees won’t sign franchise tender

Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2012, 4:57 PM EST

During the 2011 season, we heard that, if the Saints and quarterback Drew Brees failed to work out a contract and the Saints applied the franchise tag, Brees wouldn’t sign it.

Now that the tag has been applied, Brees reportedly won’t be signing it.

Jeff Duncan of the New Orleans Times-Picayune said during Thursday’s PFT Live that Brees won’t be signing the tender and won’t be present when the Saints assemble for offseason workouts next month.

And, as Duncan also pointed out, that will cut against the team-first image that Brees has crafted in New Orleans. Still, for Brees to get the kind of contract that he wants, he’ll need to be willing to stay away from offseason workouts (and possibly more), even if it makes Brees look bad in the eyes of Saints fans.

Meanwhile, good luck having a meaningful offseason program without the starting quarterback in the building.

Edited by BucD

It's like Christmas has come early. Welcome to the bottom of the NFC South, Nawlins. :)

Looks like that "Heroes of New Orleans" image is going up in flames. Gonna be a hard year to be a Saint. We all know they'll eventually pay Brees whatever it'll take though.

Drew Brees isn't the kind of guy who will piss a fit cause locker room problems. They'll do whatever it takes to make him happy. Also, via the draft, they may be able to acquire a serviceable tackle in the draft and then grab a fresh WR in the third. Devery Henderson is perfectly capable of being a solid starter. Remember that year he went bananas when Colston went down?

I think it's insane that the Saints aren't doing everything in their power to keep Brees happy. He is the face of their organization and has rebuilt the franchise due to his sheer quality and playmaking ability. It's unfortunate that everything's come to this for them.

I think it's insane that the Saints aren't doing everything in their power to keep Brees happy. He is the face of their organization and has rebuilt the franchise due to his sheer quality and playmaking ability. It's unfortunate that everything's come to this for them.

I don't think you understand here.

They offered to make him the highest-paid QB in the NFL and he turned them down back before the 2011 season. Something is up.

They can't just pay him anything he wants, literally, there are other guys they are also trying to re-sign.

I don't think you understand here.

They offered to make him the highest-paid QB in the NFL and he turned them down back before the 2011 season. Something is up.

They can't just pay him anything he wants, literally, there are other guys they are also trying to re-sign.

I see what you mean. It just comes off to me like there's some other disconnect other than the money. If the money (making him the highest paid QB in the NFL) wasn't enough to satisfy him, it appears as if there's something else going on.

I definitely get that they need enough money to resign their other needs to keep their team balanced.

Per Rotoworld.com:

According to ESPN's John Clayton, the Saints and Drew Brees are now within $2 million per year of each other on a long-term contract.

The latest reports had the sides $5 million per year apart, so there's apparently been tangible progress in April. "You get the feeling they'll get something done," Clayton said. "It's just going to be weeks, a couple of days, could take them a month. But overall, they've moved closer, not in the last couple of weeks, but at least a couple of weeks ago." Apr 17 - 2:32 PM

Source: "]ESPN.com

Per Rotoworld.com:

Unsigned franchise player Drew Brees characterized his contract talks with the Saints as "extremely frustrating" on Wednesday.

It's no secret that the sides haven't made a lick of progress since winter time. "It's been extremely frustrating for me," Brees said. "I don't think the negotiation should have been this difficult. ... We've reached out on a number of occasions and at times I've been frustrated by the lack of response." Brees questioned the Saints' "urgency" to do a deal. Perhaps they don't feel any because they want Brees to play out the season on his franchise tender. May 16 - 8:27 PM

Source: ESPN.com

This is pretty devious by the Saints.

I think I know what they're doing.

Brees is not going to be as good in 2012, due to not having as good of an O-line, and not having Payton. Still be good, just not as good.

So then they feel like they have an excuse to not pay him as much.

Hahahahaha

I love this.

:rock:

This is pretty devious by the Saints.

I think I know what they're doing.

Brees is not going to be as good in 2012, due to not having as good of an O-line, and not having Payton. Still be good, just not as good.

So then they feel like they have an excuse to not pay him as much.

Not sure what you mean with this. Yes we lost Nicks but its not like Ben Grubbs is some off the street free agent we picked up. And I think Drew did pretty well last year without Payton calling the plays after he went down.

Brees did a radio interview yesterday and said the number that ESPN and other places reported that he wanted was way over inflated. He did say he was frustrated but understands the Saints are waiting on any info on the appeals and grievance hearings before they can finalize anything with him. He is just frustrated because neither side (The Saints and his agent) are talking about anything until some things get cleared up.

Not sure what you mean with this. Yes we lost Nicks but its not like Ben Grubbs is some off the street free agent we picked up. And I think Drew did pretty well last year without Payton calling the plays after he went down.

Brees did a radio interview yesterday and said the number that ESPN and other places reported that he wanted was way over inflated. He did say he was frustrated but understands the Saints are waiting on any info on the appeals and grievance hearings before they can finalize anything with him. He is just frustrated because neither side (The Saints and his agent) are talking about anything until some things get cleared up.

If it wasn't clear, I'm saying that's the gamble they're taking. That he doesn't do as well in 2012 because of the loss of the HC and a couple great players.

I'm not saying that is for sure that he won't be as good, just saying I think that's what the Saints are banking on. If he's just as good, then they man up and pay him after this season.

Edited by Thanatos19

I find it hilarious that the Saints don't value Brees as much as Brees values himself.

Go to the AFC, broseph. Mucho obliged.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Profootballtalk.com reports that the Saints are offering more than $18 million per year in contract talks with unsigned franchise player Drew Brees.

PFT's Mike Florio suggests the figure is "possibly closer to $19 million," while Brees is asking for less than $21 million. ESPN's Ed Werder reported Tuesday that the sides were roughly $2 million-per-year apart, which aligns with Florio's story. Tom Brady's September 2010 extension paid him $18M annually. Peyton Manning's year-to-year deal in Denver can be worth $19.2M per season. The numbers passed along by PFT make the Saints' offer seem pretty darn fair. Jun 6 - 12:03 AM

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

In an interview with ESPN's Outside the Lines, unsigned franchise player Drew Brees insisted Tuesday that he would "never sit out the season."

"I love the game too much. I love my team too much," Brees added by way of explanation. Although Brees would seem to be surrendering leverage to the organization, we can't imagine a scenario where he would seriously consider walking away from $16.4 million to play football. The two sides have until July 16 to reach agreement on a long-term deal that will likely make Brees the highest-paid player in the game.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

Hopefully he goes against his word and sits out.

Edited by Bucman

Apparently the NFLPA has sent a letter to Roger Goodell demanding that the NFL launch an investigation against the Saints. They are claiming that they believe the Saints are "punishing" Drew Brees for the part he played in last seasons lockout. I find it ironically funny to say the least that they are asking the NFL to launch an investigationconsidering they are basically saying the NFL investigations are unfair in the bounty case.

If Drew Brees does not have a long-term contract in place by Monday's 4 p.m. ET deadline, the New Orleans Saints quarterback has no plans to sign his franchise tender and report to training camp, according to league and team sources.

Brees and the Saints must work out a long-term contract by July 16 or he will be required to play the 2012 season under his $16.371-million exclusive-rights franchise tender that restricts the free agent from signing with another team.

However, sources say Brees has made it clear to confidants that he will not sign the tender and report to Saints training camp when it begins July 24. The sources also said that even though Brees is on record as saying he won't miss the regular season, he may leave the Saints guessing as to whether he will report in time for the team's opener against the Washington Redskins on Sept. 9.

Under the league's current collective bargaining agreement, Brees would have until the Tuesday after the 10th regular-season game to sign his tender or he would be prohibited from playing the remainder of the season. If Brees misses any games, his 2012 salary would be a prorated amount of the $16.371 million based on the number of games remaining once he signs his tender.

Further complicating matters, arbitrator Stephen Burbank ruled last Tuesday that this tender marked the second time Brees had been tagged. Burbank also clarified that the CBA was intended for a player to be franchised no more than three times in his career. The decision means that if Brees signs the tender this year and the Saints franchise him again in 2013, the team must offer Brees a 44-percent raise to a $23.57 million salary next season.

The Saints have offered Brees a contract that would average $19.25 million per year, a team source said, or slightly more than the $19.2 million the Denver Broncos gave Peyton Manning.

Brees is seeking an average of $20.5 million per year, sources said, and is justifying his position based on his performance during his six years with the Saints, which included a Super Bowl MVP after Brees led the franchise to its first Super Bowl title during the 2009 season.

Neither side offered immediate comment. A Saints official acknowledged the differences between the two sides but was hopeful the gap could be bridged between now and next Monday.

The Saints believe their $19.25-million-per-year offer satisfies the standard that will make Brees the highest-paid quarterback in the league. However, Manning's contract and $19.2 million average salary was accomplished within 24 hours after he chose Denver. Manning also refused to use other team's interest to leverage a higher salary, despite Titans owner Bud Adams stating he was willing to pay Manning a significantly higher salary and provide him with a lifetime contract.

Brees, 33, is also three years younger than Manning, who has undergone four neck surgeries prior to signing with the Broncos after missing the entire 2011 season with the Colts.

Brees has played the past six years with the Saints at a $10 million average after signing an option contract with New Orleans following a catastrophic shoulder injury on his final play with the San Diego Chargers in 2005, which Brees played under his first franchise tag. While the Saints offered Brees a significant deal at the time, the quarterback's contract also contained a team option following the first season (2006) of the deal. Renowned orthopedist Dr. James Andrews, who performed the surgery on the quarterback's shoulder, said Brees' recovery "was a once-in-a-million shot ... a tribute to his relentless rehab."

Brees has strongly stated desire to finish his career with the Saints, but he does not want to play with the risk of a one-year contract after his experience with the Chargers.

The Saints have countered that their offer is fair and they are trying to protect the integrity of the salary cap and their roster, although it would be even more compromised if Brees played for the franchise tender of $16.37 million this year and $23.57 million in 2013. A long-term contract could be structured to provide the team with some cap relief in the first two years of the deal before spiking in 2014 when the salary cap would rise after the league's new television rights contracts take effect.

With Monday's deadline looming, sources said there is still work remaining on both the structure of the deal and the amount of guaranteed money.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8153671/drew-brees-new-orleans-saints-skip-training-camp-contract-sources-say

How can you not be satisfied with $19.25m per year? Brees is a spoiled pussy.

The Saints would be retarded not to just give him the Peyton Manning money. It's pretty imperative to get him playing this season. They need him much more than he needs them. He's the most important player to their franchise history, and might be the difference between contending and rebuilding.

Drew needs to get realistic on this "highest paid ever" argument. I'm not sure he's even a top 10 NFL player, and he's barely the 4th best QB in the game, in my eyes. I'd take both Eli and Ben over Brees, not just Brady and Rodgers.

If he was the best QB, I'd sign him like he is. He isn't; he can come down a bit on the price.