Carolina's R1 pick

Is there a WR you'd take at #8?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a WR you'd take at #8?

• Michael Floyd
    • Alshon Jeffery
    • Other
    • No I wouldn't take a WR

So I was just thinking about this, and figured, what the heck, I'd start a topic and see what you guys think.

I think we can all agree that the chances of Justin Blackmon falling to #8 are slim to none. With that said, is there another WR in the draft that you think Carolina should/would go after at #8 or #9, whichever we end up getting, or do they go O-line/defense from the start?

I personally don't think there's a receiver worthy of #8/#9 overall not named Justin Blackmon. And besides, Carolina's top priority, IMO, should be to add talent to their defense. They should take the best defensive player available except DE.

The Panthers should take a QB...because we all know $cam Newton is a one year wonder :troll:

• Upvote 2

At this point in the process, I'd say they go with the Brockers, DT, LSU or Kirkpatrick, CB, 'Bama.

Alshon Jeffery, Michael Floyd and/or Kendall Wright (either one or two or all three) could go into the Combine next week and blow it up. If Jeffery and/or Floyd go in and run really good times, I could see Carolina taking one of those guy but they most likely won't.

Wright will run a fast time as he's a burner and Mayock has him rated as his third best WR behind Blackmon and Floyd. I don't see him going in the top 10 though.

If they want to take a WR they'll probably try and trade down, unless of course Blackmon falls to them...unlikely though...

If they're letting go of Dan Connor, then I'd just take Kuechly. It might be a bit of a reach but he'll be good for a team.

I'd MUCH rather have one of the FA and find a premier future talent down the road. You need a scary mofo on defense. If someone wants to trade up for Richardson or Coples, you might just let them do that. Slide down to the 20s. Take Burfict or Poe. Then you're up again at 40. Take the elite talent that dropped out of the first round as far as DE or OLB goes.

Not even Blackmon is worth 8th overall, be he will get picked up earlier than he should.

Not even Blackmon is worth 8th overall, be he will get picked up earlier than he should.

What? Why do you say that? I'd take Blackmon over anyone else if he slips to 8, but there is just no possible way he gets past Jacksonville, if he somehow slips that far.

Justin Blackmon won't even get to Jacksonville...He will be picked earlier..I agree with BucD,you should choose Brockers or Kirkpatrick...

I really do think the Panthers should just take whoever the best payer is when they draft. The defense has more holes then the offense, the defense has more questions then the offense. And I believe Brokers is the answer, the Panthers have shown a lot of interest for him already (I know it's early), the guy has the making of a stud.

But if they do go receiver, it'l be Whoever is there when they pick b/w Blackmon and Floyd, depending on the combine, pro day, etc, there is a chance Blackmon could drop though. Teams tend to get hesitant when receiver Blackmon's size don't run in the 4.4s.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

:yep: Edited by BC

So because the offense is better than the defense, they should draft offense?

5774348.jpg

He's kinda a defensive player....

I did say IF they go with a receiver though...

I wouldn't take a WR if Blackmon is off the board. Although, I could see the Panthers taking Floyd. It wouldn't be too big of a reach IMO.

I'd go D if I was Carolina. There's too many WR supposedly gonna hit free agency this year, and Blackmon will most likely be gone when #8 comes around. And like Stevo said none of the other WR are worth picking top 10. If Carolina really wants one of them their best idea is to trade down.

Brockers is probably who we end up taking, we missed pretty badly on McClain and Fua, or at least it seems that way now.

I could however see us taking an OT if Reiff falls to 8, (likely, I think), or possibly a CB.

According to SportsNation votes and rankings,Carolina will take Courtney Upshaw..

I really don't see why a LB need is bigger than a DT need.

We're getting Beason back, and having a LB corps of Beason/Anderson/Senn is not something in definite need of upgrade, so it would only be to get depth. DT... we don't have a good DT.

Carolina needs to leave Courtney Upshaw alone :yep: Take the BPA.

At this point in the process, I'd say they go with the Brockers, DT, LSU...

Brockers is probably who we end up taking, we missed pretty badly on McClain and Fua, or at least it seems that way now.

I could however see us taking an OT if Reiff falls to 8...

Brockers seems to be a beast. I like him at 8, but, after a bit of research, there seems to be a potentially deep O-line class coming out. These are the two biggest needs that I see for the Panthers.

A CB would be nice too, and there are a few good/maybe kids coming out, but it's always risky to reach for a CB in the top ten. They should go after Brandon Carr. I haven't seen their cap #, but I can't imagine that they've been big spenders. Cam's money was spent last year. He's getting paid shit this season, so Carr's a guy the Panthers could try to entice if they want to get serious about a CB.

I know people are saying that WR isn't an immediate need for the Panthers, but how isn't it? Sure they have Steve Smith, but he won't be around forever. Get a receiver now, and have him be great later. Although, I'm not sold on Blackmon.

So if they don't take a receiver because it's not entirely worth it and I'm them, I'm taking the best d player available.

If I am the panthers I see if Jerry Angelo wants to trade up to get Floyd and I trade back and get Janoris Jenkins. Then I pick a 2nd and or 3rd and still get a good defensive player. I think The Bears will be interested in Floyd early to make sure they get him before another receiver needy team gets him after an inevitable run. Keuchly would also be a good possibility.

Also there are two things this class is deep on and that's WR and DL so great talent can be found late and great value. You may as well get a guy who is mega talented and isnt as much depth in the draft.

I know people are saying that WR isn't an immediate need for the Panthers, but how isn't it? Sure they have Steve Smith, but he won't be around forever. Get a receiver now, and have him be great later. Although, I'm not sold on Blackmon.

So if they don't take a receiver because it's not entirely worth it and I'm them, I'm taking the best d player available.

Carolina doesn't *need* a WR. That doesn't mean we couldn't use one, but we have Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, who stepped admirably into the #2 role, and David Gettis, who didn't play in 2011 because he tore his ACL in preseason. I am fully confident in those three guys, or at least as confident as I would be in drafting someone. We should get a veteran WR in FA, someone like Hines Ward, to come in and mentor the younger guys, (you can throw in Kealoha Pilares as WR #4), and our WR corps is fine- so long as we keep both TEs, of course.

I wouldn't say no to a WR, but there are far more pressing needs for us.