Sign in to follow this  
Turry

Mike Wallace Clearly Disgruntled

Citing a league source, the Sacramento Bee reports that restricted free agent Mike Wallace is searching for a long-term contract in excess of the eight-year, $120 million deal signed by Larry Fitzgerald last August.

The Bee's Matt Barrows has been tracking the situation because the team he covers -- the 49ers -- made an inquiry about signing Wallace to an offer sheet. It's not happening if he insists on becoming one of the top three highest paid receivers in football. (Calvin Johnson and Fitzgerald are Nos. 1 and 2.) Wallace may still leave Pittsburgh if his asking price comes down, but the Steelers couldn't lock him up long term, either, on that lofty of a demand.

Source: Sacramento Bee

Does Wallace become an unrestricted free agent after this season?

Mike Wallace is awesome but am I the only one who doesn't think he deserves the kind of money Fitz and Johnson got?

Hard to think many people believe that he deserves a Fitzgerald-esque contract lol.

• Upvote 1

Mike Wallace is awesome but am I the only one who doesn't think he deserves the kind of money Fitz and Johnson got?

He doesn't deserve it, that's just what he wants. It's not what he's gonna get, either, unless a team other than Pittsburgh is willing to pay all that money for him.

• Upvote 1

via PFT

Mike Wallace reportedly has no plans to sign his tender

There's no sign that another team is going to offer Mike Wallace a contract before the deadline to sign restricted free agents passes on April 20th, but that isn't moving Wallace closer to signing his tender from the Steelers.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reported on NFL Live Wednesday that Wallace has no plans to sign his tender, which would pay him $2.742 million, and will sit out the team's offseason activities if he doesn't get a new deal. Per Schefter, the two sides have had a hard time finding common ground on a new contract, which sets the stage for a long absence if Wallace goes through with this course of action.

It's not a tactic that has met with much success in the past since teams know players need to eventually report to work in order to accrue the last year they need to become unrestricted free agents. We're a long way off from that point, but it is the biggest piece of leverage that teams have in these standoffs.

For the Steelers, any deal they might reach with Wallace has bigger ramifications as well. Antonio Brown will be a restricted free agent next year and anything they do with Wallace will become the starting point for any negotiations with Brown.

The player has absolutely no leverage here. As mentioned above, he needs to play this year to become a UFA next year. A player in Pittsburgh needs to understand that no one player is bigger than the team, unless your name is Ben Roethlisberger.

Edited by NaTaS

I can't say I blame Wallace for wanting to hold out for a contract he deserves, but like you said, NaTaS, Pittsburgh has all the leverage. Even after he plays this season he could get franchise tagged if the Steelers find the cap space next offseason.

There are reportedly a "handful" of teams interested in trading for restricted free agent Mike Wallace.

Coming a day after a report that Wallace has no intention of signing his one-year tender, this smacks of agent Bus Cook trying to force the Steelers' hand. If Pittsburgh isn't willing to hand over a long-term deal at more than $10 million per season, Cook wants to send Wallace to another team at less than a first-round price. Any team attempting to acquire Wallace would have to satisfy his contract wishes as well as the Steelers' compensation demands. The chances of a trade decrease dramatically after the upcoming draft.

Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

no, you're not the only one, Wallace is very good, but he ain't Fitzgerald/Megatron good

no, you're not the only one, Wallace is very good, but he ain't Fitzgerald/Megatron good

No one is, aside from Megatron/Fitz. That's why their contracts are so far and away bigger than anyone else's, as they should be.

After Friday's deadline came and went without him getting an offer sheet from another team, Pittsburgh Steelers restricted free-agent wide receiver Mike Wallace is prepared to sit out offseason drills and at least the start of training camp, according to league sources.

Wallace told some within the Steelers organization that he does not plan to sign his first-round tender "until he has to," according to a source. This means that Wallace could wind up holding out for some or all of training camp.

Wallace is seeking a long-term deal and is unhappy with the $2.7 million first-round tender he received.

Wallace has until June 15 to sign it before the Steelers can cut the tender to $577,500 -- a loss of $2.1 million.

ESPN

Interesting. Wonder if this is enough to push him out of Pittsburgh in a year or if they will come to terms on a deal and all will be well again.

Hines Ward did this shit before, too. People are making way too much out of this situation. He will remain a Steeler just like Woodley did last year when everyone was saying the exact same shit.

True enough Zack, but that Woodley thing and the steelers bending on him have put them in this cap hell they are in. Not saying it is woodley specifically but this new CBA seems to have Colbert's number for now.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

True enough Zack, but that Woodley thing and the steelers bending on him have put them in this cap hell they are in. Not saying it is woodley specifically but this new CBA seems to have Colbert's number for now.

And how is that, exactly? The Ravens have less cap space than the Steelers and the Steelers could cut players like Hampton and Foote, and Jonathan Scott in order to clear up about $11 million more in cap space. The Steelers are not in a bind at all cap-wise and they have all the leverage in the Wallace situation.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/30/salary-cap-situation-for-each-team/

Totals as of March 30:

Baltimore Ravens

Current contracts: 42

Previous year carryover: $5,831,652.00

Adjustments: $1,696,600.00

Adjusted cap: $128,128,252.00

Team cap: $126,376,614.00

Cap room: $1,751,638.00

Team cash: $86,038,224.00

Pittsburgh Steelers

Current contracts: 42

Previous year carryover: $506,570.00

Adjustments: $88,600.00

Adjusted cap: $121,195,170.00

Team cap: $115,307,182.00

Cap room: $5,887,988.00

Team cash: $93,131,600.00

• Upvote 1

I agree that the Steelers have all of the leverage in negotiations... but if your hand is forced to much, you might just piss him off beyond reconciliation. There has to be some give and take.

And how is that, exactly? The Ravens have less cap space than the Steelers and the Steelers could cut players like Hampton and Foote, and Jonathan Scott in order to clear up about $11 million more in cap space. The Steelers are not in a bind at all cap-wise and they have all the leverage in the Wallace situation.

And how much young talent do you have locked up ? That is what I am saying, yeah they could cut some guys and get under the cap of that I am sure. That said though we have webb locked up, two rookie starters locked up, Ngata locked up, our best guard locked up, Sizzle isnt going anywhere for a couple of years, Our tight ends contracts arent up. the majority of our guys are held through the next two years. And I dont see Ray playing past this year so that contract alone clears up 7 million. Ed comes off the books next year clearing another 7. Then Birk Retiring next year clears up another three and the year after that would clear up 4. Boldin will come off the books soon so there is another 7, Torrey will play for 4 more years under 1 mil. Gurode will leave taking another 3 off. So this will probably be the last year where we are up against the cap. Everybody else we will have through 2014.

On the reverse lets say you cut hampton, are you comfortable with Hood playing there ? He has been decent but will come nowhere close to the presence Hampton commands. Then how about Heyward ? Sanders and Brown's contract is up after this year. Same with Mendenhall. And Sylvester. Waht about when Kiesel's contract is up after that year? Clark, Foote and hood are the year after next. Same with worlids. The amount of people you will have to resign in the next two years versus the Raven's isnt close since we have most of our guys locked up for several years. The Steelers are going to have to resign all of those cats or find other guys to take their place. Some will be easy, some not so much.

There are going to be some painful cap decisions that will be made in the next two years. That is what I was saying.

Are the Steelers still over the cap? And you guys that are saying the Steelers are in a bind DO realize that the Cap will be going up in the next couple of years correct? That's why the Falcons aren't worried at all about being right on the edge of going even with the cap. It's just not a big deal if you can get through this season being close.

Are the Steelers still over the cap? And you guys that are saying the Steelers are in a bind DO realize that the Cap will be going up in the next couple of years correct? That's why the Falcons aren't worried at all about being right on the edge of going even with the cap. It's just not a big deal if you can get through this season being close.

The cap is virtually flat for the next couple of years. I do think it goes up but by a couple hundred thousand.

I wouldnt pay Wallace half of that Fitz contract. Hes a great deep threat and a good WR. But he wants to be paid like hes top 5 and i dont think hes a top 5 WR at all. Top 10 arguement, but thats as far as i go. Fuck it just throw it to Miller more.

I wouldnt pay Wallace half of that Fitz contract. Hes a great deep threat and a good WR. But he wants to be paid like hes top 5 and i dont think hes a top 5 WR at all. Top 10 arguement, but thats as far as i go. Fuck it just throw it to Miller more.

I don't really think you could argue he is not a top 10 WR. He is fringe top 5 in my opinion.

As it stands if I had to pick right now it would be.

Megatron

Fitz

AJ

Nicks

Then Wallace possibly. Right here it could be argued for may candidates suck as Jennings, Marshall etc.

Wallace has to put together a full season before he's an elite receiver in my eyes. He was nowhere to be found in the 2nd half of the season this past year. Antonio Brown was better. Right now, Wallace is a top 10 WR or a very good receiver... but I'm not ready to call him elite yet.

In about 2 years the cap is supposed to increase by a lot. Or at least that's what everyone's projecting. Which is a reason a lot of teams this offseason have signed guys to extensions that have them raking a lot of money in 2014.

I think it has to do with new TV deals, or something to that nature.