NaTaS

Update: Jones-Drew to report for Jags camp on time?

Doubt it would ever happen but can you imagine Pittsburgh with MJD?

Not a good move for the Steelers. Mike Wallace is young, one of the top deep threats in the league which forces defense to game plan for his speed, and has many more years to give then MJD if he gets signed to a long term deal which I think they will.

Edited by dutchff7

I kinda don't blame him. He feels as though he outplayed a contract and in today's league that seems to be the new thing when ppl outplay their contracts they get paid. I'm not trying to justify if it's right or wrong but just from his point of view. With how the new ownership is acting towards him, he feels under valued and probably under appreciated so he wants out. He's been on a losing franchise making the play offs once in his 6 year career. If the organization acted like that didn't give jack squat about me AND it's a losing franchise, I'd want to test the waters too and get with a contending team or be that vital key to help push a team deep in the play offs.

A few nice landing spots for MJD would be:

[Teams that would become increasingly dangerous]

:Lions: - Megatron with a running threat, :bricks:

:Cowboys:- Takes alot of pressure of Romo; they already have the potential to be dangerous as it is.

:Giants: They would probably be alot more consistent with this guy running the ball.

:Bengals: - Young QBs best friend is a Running game; open things up for A.J

Green

Other nice fits:

:Bucs:

:Jets: (Sanchez desperately needs a running game; not tebow)

:Redskins: A fast mobile QB with a RB can be dangerous

:Colts: This would help Lucks development so much who already shows promise.

While I wouldn't mind MJD, I wouldn't want to give up any picks or good players for him being that RB is no longer a need for us.

I was reading on one of my fantasy sports updates that the Lions GM is reaching out to several teams trying to find some help in the running game for them. I think that if they had a running back who could at least be a true starter for them and carry a decent load they'd be unstoppable. I was thinking before I even saw this thread, what if MJD were to go to the Lions? Could you guys imagine? They would be sure-fire Superbowl contenders without a doubt. It would be unbelievable.

However, you have to think, if you were the Lions - How much are you really willing to give up for MJD? I mean, he's not really old. He's 27. That still gives him 3 years left in the tank if you consider all the other backs in the league. Would you be willing to give up a first rounder for a guy with 3 years left, basically 2 great years (probably) and 1 year of being a solid starting back. That's the way I look at it. No way do the Jags trade him without a 1st round pick OR a seriously great player who can be a game-changer.

Maurice Jones-Drew ended his holdout and reported to Jaguars camp on Sunday.

The holdout lasted 38 days. As a result, Jones-Drew could be slapped with a $1.2 million fine from the team, according to the AP's Mark Long. With players set to start receiving their paychecks this week, Jones-Drew's holdout never figured to last past the first day or so in September. It's going to take the league's 2011 leading rusher a few weeks to get up to game speed, so Rashad Jennings figures to handle the bulk of the workload in the meantime. Still, it won't be long before he's back to 20 or so touches each game. He's back on the board as a back-end RB1 in fantasy drafts.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Him reporting to camp he is probably going to miss out on the biggest contract of his professional career. He would be lucky to sign a deal equal to the one he is playing under now. Probably one of his biggest regrets signing that contract.

Oh well, I suppose. NFLs a tough sport, but also a tough business.

Wonder if he starts regressing this year of if he has 1 or 2 more years under his "arguably best back" status.

Either way, Jags win this round.

I don't see him playing the first game, maybe not even the second. I do bet that he gets his contract though eventually. He should have just reported all along. Teams tend to try and get things done when guys show up and try to get through camp.

if he puts up a decent season he'll get his contract next year with one year left, the team just didn't want to renegotiate with two years left on a frontloaded contract, and I say bravo to the Jags for holding on that

@AlbertBreer Jones-Drew has 2 years and $9.5M left on his contract. That deal was 1 of the richest ever for a RB in '09, and it's held up well over time.

Where's he at now? Amongst the other backs and their salaries. Has to be right around 10, I would think. After being an elite back, arguably the best in the league over the last 3 years (the time he has put on this deal)... And coming off an NFL rushing title... I'd say it hasn't held up very well at all.

If you are the NFLs leading rusher and contirbute 50% of your teams offensive yards (which is an insane percentage, btw)... I don't think you want to get paid like the 10th best back in the league.

looking up his current contract I can't find exact numbers (some refer to it as a four year extension, others by the total five years) but one thing they agree on is it averaged around $8 mil per year and made him the third highest paid RB when he signed it, it was just a very front loaded contract so he's past most of the money now

Where's he at now? Amongst the other backs and their salaries. Has to be right around 10, I would think. After being an elite back, arguably the best in the league over the last 3 years (the time he has put on this deal)... And coming off an NFL rushing title... I'd say it hasn't held up very well at all.

If you are the NFLs leading rusher and contirbute 50% of your teams offensive yards (which is an insane percentage, btw)... I don't think you want to get paid like the 10th best back in the league.

Good call.

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/running-back/

Base salaries:

1. Chris Johnson - $8 mil

2. AP - $8 mil

3. Steven Jackson - $7 mil

4. DmC - $5.650 mil

5. DeAngelo Williams - $5.250 mil

6. Michael Turner - $5 mil

7. Arian Foster - $5 mil

8. Reggie Bush - $4.5 mil

9. MJD - $4.45 mil

10. Marshawn Lynch -$4 mil

But such is the downside of signing a front-loaded contract. You get a massive salary when you haven't even become a starter yet, and then you get paid less when you actually do something.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirms the Jaguars still intend to start Rashad Jennings over Maurice Jones-Drew in Week 1 at Minnesota.

Rapoport's source explains the decision is a reward for Jennings' impressive performance in preseason action and the fact that he has been at training camp. Rotoworld's Chris Wesseling and Mike Clay will rank Jennings in the neighborhood of No. 20 this week, with Jones-Drew coming in at the 30-40 range. Expect Jones-Drew to resume starting in Week 2 versus the Texans, although Jennings will remain in the picture as a strong second back all season.

Source: NFL.com

Yeah, if he wanted to make a lot every year, he shouldn't have signed the contract with the huge signing bonus. He also should've realized he had no leverage right now. No one actually thought he was gonna miss regular season time.

Good call.

http://www.spotrac.c...l/running-back/

Base salaries:

2. AP - $8 mil

4. DmC - $5.650 mil

7. Arian Foster - $5 mil

9. MJD - $4.45 mil

But such is the downside of signing a front-loaded contract. You get a massive salary when you haven't even become a starter yet, and then you get paid less when you actually do something.

although if what I read about his current deal averaging $8 mil per year was accurate, that would put him right at the top, which would be where the comment that the deal held up well over time comes from, I really just can't feel bad for someone who signed a lucrative front loaded contract then gets pissy when the back end is small

Good call.

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/running-back/

Base salaries:

2. AP - $8 mil

4. DmC - $5.650 mil

7. Arian Foster - $5 mil

9. MJD - $4.45 mil

Two things. First I am kind of excited to not see RR on there. After all the heart ache and cussing him during his hold out I must admit that I was way off, he is in fact a team first guy. Thanks.

Second that was a little asshole-ish on MJD's part. He signs a front loaded contract and then hates his base salary. I mean from a business standpoint it makes sense. And he probably should be paid a little more but you took all that money up front so just wait and try to get either an evenly distributed contract next time or a back loaded one so you protect yourself in your twilight years.

And another thing is I think he will actually be good for many more years because he is not known for breakaway speed ( not saying he isnt fast) which is usually the first thing to go, power guys like him (steven Jackson) tend to have a little longer productivity in my opinion.

Two things. First I am kind of excited to not see RR on there. After all the heart ache and cussing him during his hold out I must admit that I was way off, he is in fact a team first guy. Thanks.

Second that was a little asshole-ish on MJD's part. He signs a front loaded contract and then hates his base salary. I mean from a business standpoint it makes sense. And he probably should be paid a little more but you took all that money up front so just wait and try to get either an evenly distributed contract next time or a back loaded one so you protect yourself in your twilight years.

And another thing is I think he will actually be good for many more years because he is not known for breakaway speed ( not saying he isnt fast) which is usually the first thing to go, power guys like him (steven Jackson) tend to have a little longer productivity in my opinion.

He outperformed his contract so he wanted to get paid more. I don't how it's a little asshole-ish on MJD's part because if he suffered some terrible career ending injury they'd cut him and throw him away. Why should all the players be so loyal to organizations that don't have a whole lot of loyalty to them.

He outperformed his contract so he wanted to get paid more. I don't how it's a little asshole-ish on MJD's part because if he suffered some terrible career ending injury they'd cut him and throw him away. Why should all the players be so loyal to organizations that don't have a whole lot of loyalty to them.

because they paid him 30 million dollars two years ago. One reason to be loyal.

And if he plays like shit this season would he be ok with taking a pay cut ? doubtful. They should not be able to have their cake and eat it too.

It is not even loyalty. He should be paid fairly but once you ink your name on a contract then you should be held to it. However good organizations are willing to pay you more if you outperform your contract. If not then what are you really going to do ? This hold out did him so much good.

And after the number of carries he has gotten and the history of RB holdout's he has no leverage and just hurt his team.

And really holding out ? The times it works are far fewer then the times it actually hurts you. Being smart he would have known he had no leverage and when the owner of the team says get on the same sheet of music or start losing some of that money than not only do you have no real leverage but it becomes a media fiasco and any leverage you did have is gone.

Sure he outplayed his contract, and that should be taken into consideration next season or so. That said what did he expect to gain. The same thing Mike Wallace did ? Holding out only really works if it is your last year and the team is either forced to ink you while there is some tentative goodwill there and knowing that if htey burn the bridge next season you are gone.

Unless your Revis. But looking at the Jets organization, I would not model my franchise after them. And then with CJ he flopped after his big contract so history is not with him.

He should not have done it. It was clear from the beginning he was not going to get what he wanted. And in the end he did nothing but hurt himself.

Fuck. This whole situation is killing me in our fantasy league. Do I start MJD? Do I start Jennings?

Freakin Jags man...

Fuck. This whole situation is killing me in our fantasy league. Do I start MJD? Do I start Jennings?

Freakin Jags man...

Jennings. Shouldn't even be a question.

MJD will struggle a lot this year, a lot like CJ did last year.

Jennings. Shouldn't even be a question.

MJD will struggle a lot this year, a lot like CJ did last year.

I fuckin hope not, he was sitting there in the 7th round and I could not resist.

I fuckin hope not, he was sitting there in the 7th round and I could not resist.

Trade him and see if you can get something.

He's going to be completely out of football shape(and I don't want to hear anyone saying he worked out in the off-season, that doesn't mean shit. CJ did the exact same thing, didn't prepare him the last bit for the season) and won't be of any use until AT LEAST halfway through the year, if he is at all.

Trade him and see if you can get something.

He's going to be completely out of football shape(and I don't want to hear anyone saying he worked out in the off-season, that doesn't mean shit. CJ did the exact same thing, didn't prepare him the last bit for the season) and won't be of any use until AT LEAST halfway through the year, if he is at all.

not to mention CJ had a much better passing game opening things up than MJD will have this year

MJD was there in the *seventh* round?

Hang on to him. I disagree with Air entirely. MJD should be fine by week 3 or so. That would be because MJD is actually an elite back. :troll:

He won't be at 100% for awhile, but he's definitely worth hanging onto, especially in the Jags offense, which despite everyone saying this every year, people apparently don't learn. It doesn't matter that they don't have a passing game, it still doesn't shut down MJD. He can still do well when his team isn't helping him out- which is why he is an elite back.

Edited by Thanatos19