Sarge

The good news thread

Played a new drinking game tonight called "King of the Mountain."

You watch Out Cold with friends and every time someone says "mountain," you drink. We also added that all gay references, you drink. And when Pigpen is made fun of, you drink. And any Casablanca reference, you drink.

So yes, got a nice buzz going.:beerchug:

Coach called me in for a meeting this morning and told me they have been impressed with what I have done so far. He said that of all the interns I am the front runner right now and to keep up the good work.

:rock:

What is the internship for?

For those that don't know...

I joined the Army Reserves...and I graduated Basic Combat Training 2 weeks ago. It was challenging, but doable. I've met a lot of new people, and it's changed my outlook on life. It's shown me that hard work does pay off, and that all of our soldiers put so much work in...but it's sadly overlooked far too often.

Right now I'm in AIT...in San Antonio to be a combat medic. Training is 16 weeks long...and once we get out of the first phase you can expect seeing me around more often. For now, I'll be on during the weekends and never during the week generally. Lots to learn in 6 weeks to be a nationally certified EMT by civilian standards...then add 8 weeks for training of an Army medic.

Amen, brother. Welcome to the most rewarding and sometimes most thankless profession. Despite the lows, the highs make it worthwhile. You'll be in my thoughts as you progress through school. You'll probably kill it.

Kind of a bittersweet rather than just good news...

Recently tested for promotion to E-6 for the first time. Turns out I scored well enough to get promoted if it had been for either of the last 2-3 cycles, but because the government is downsizing the promotion rate was drastically lowered and the cutoff score got raised to an almost impossible level to reach, I wasn't selected. Fell 16 points short. Either way it's a nice confidence boost knowing I have a good shot next year.

What is the internship for?

It's with the strength and conditioning staff for University of Utah football team and school as a whole. I actually got promoted last week (no change in title or anything but they increased what I am allowed to do and my responsibilities quite a bit).

Now I am the only intern that has his own group of players that I coach, all the others still have to shadow and are not allowed to do any type of coaching unless told directly by a higher coach. I am in charge of coaching all the players that have been with the team for only a semester or are junior college transfers. These players know the drill and how we do our operations but they still need a lot of coaching and someone to get on their ass to keep our workout tempo high at all times. I'll say the most challenging thing is keeping the tempo up, when players are constantly asking you questions all at once, it's difficult to get things done quickly and keep them all on task.

One of my roommates moved out early so now we can use his room to leave the beer pong table up.

:rockon:

• Upvote 1

Me and a bunch of buddies are renting a beach house in Wildwood for 4th of July week and will be getting absolutely trashed Wednesday through Saturday. :rock:

Finally did set up my interview with the Washington Redskins. Set for Friday at 2 over the phone.

If I were to get offered both the Cavs and the Redskins, I think that I would favor the Redskins even though the Cavs are closer to home. Football is my favorite sport and with the Cavs it sounds like my hours might fluctuate quite a bit from day-to-day and week-to-week.

• Upvote 1

Woo Hoo. Interview with the Atlanta Hawks set for tomorrow. My interview with the Redskins got pushed back to today at 2, so hopefully those go well. Was supposed to hear back from the Cavs in around two weeks after my interview. This coming Monday would mark the two week mark, so I am hoping to hear from them next week.

For this coming fall I have applied for 7 co-ops with 7 professional sports franchises. As this is what I want to do for my career. I have had/set up interviews with 3 of them, turned down for one other, and haven't heard from 3. It sure is nice knowing that my resume is good enough to at least warrant an interview.

• Upvote 1

After scavenging my home for my AP Student Pack, I finally found my AP number and was able to check my scores. I got a 4 on both Macroeconomics and US History! It looks as if my top two choices for college will be giving me credits for those scores, but I will have to wait and see. Regardless, I'm pretty happy with them. :D

• Upvote 1

After scavenging my home for my AP Student Pack, I finally found my AP number and was able to check my scores. I got a 4 on both Macroeconomics and US History! It looks as if my top two choices for college will be giving me credits for those scores, but I will have to wait and see. Regardless, I'm pretty happy with them. :D

The AP Macro test is hard as fuck. Congratulations, Vike. :clap:

The AP Macro test is hard as fuck. Congratulations, Vike. :clap:

Agreed. The practice and review problems/tests for the Macro exam were so easy; it was almost as if I was blindsided by the actual exam when I looked at the multiple choice.

After scavenging my home for my AP Student Pack, I finally found my AP number and was able to check my scores. I got a 4 on both Macroeconomics and US History!

I, too, scored a 4 on the APUSH exam my junior year. It was the only AP class I took in high school, though. Congrats, nerd.

Way to go, Badgers :clap:

I'm going to use your story to talk about something I think is incredibly important and for some reason is criminally overlooked. There are not enough people getting trained and taught in the basics of first aid and related first responder concepts. Sure, we have agencies and services for that, professionals who are highly trained and have the job to respond to emergencies. While in your particular situation, it didn't require any type of training, just quick thinking, action, and selflessness on your part, but unfortunately there are not enough regular citizens trained in basic first aid to attend to situations that require it.

Before I worked in the fitness industry, which requires me to be certified in first aid, CPR, and AED, I didn't understand the importance of this knowledge. Since I got certified almost 8 years ago, I have been in over a dozen situations that have required me to save people's lives. Each time I am amazed that others around the situation have no idea how to react to different emergencies, especially when they have put themselves in a situation where an emergency is more likely to happen. I think everyone should be certified in at least CPR/AED, but I also believe everyone should take a class in first aid and it should be something required in high school.

For those of you who read this, consider getting certified in CPR/AED and first aid through the american red cross. It costs 90 dollars and just requires one Saturday of your. I think your life, and the lives of others are worth the little bit of money and time. Just something that I was thinking about recently when I saved this woman at a race I did a few weeks back.

Some good news for me personally.

The strength and conditioning program is bringing me back full time for the fall and beyond. I was 99% sure they were going to because they like me so much but it's still nice to not even have to think about what I will be doing in the future. In addition to football, I was told that I will be working with mens and women's tennis plus the track team. It will be nice to work with different sports and different athletes.

The female tennis players and track athletes are also incredibly hot.... but I signed a contract that forbids me from seeing any of them :sigh:

They all probably have hot friends, though.

contract schontracts, hit it and quit it.

• Upvote 1

I got contact lenses a week ago today and I am used to them. My vision is great. It's almost like I'm seeing things for the first time all over again. I also ordered a pair of glasses for times when I don't want to or can't wear the contacts. They'll be here either at the end of this week or early next week.

I got contact lenses a week ago today and I am used to them. My vision is great. It's almost like I'm seeing things for the first time all over again. I also ordered a pair of glasses for times when I don't want to or can't wear the contacts. They'll be here either at the end of this week or early next week.

Lol, that's good to hear.

I remember the first time I got glasses, I was like, "Oh there are actual leaves on those trees. I thought it was just a big green blob."

• Upvote 2

I know what you mean. I'm noticing small details of stuff that I definitely overlooked before because my eyesight wasn't good enough to catch them. One example a few days ago was when I was eating pizza, I noticed all the little marks on the pepperoni. haha

How long has your eyesight been getting worse Sarge? :shrug:

I have had glasses since grade 4, so I was just 10 years old at the time. I've tried to use contact lenses before, but I really can't get over the feeling of them on my eye lense, it just really bothers me for some reason.

So I have to personally toast you for being successful in being able to use them. I wish I could use them because then I could go to the beach or go for a swim and actually be able to see things around me clearly, and not just the blur of details that I currently see of objects without my glasses on! :yep:

:clap: :clap: