Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Blount expected to lose his starting job

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Tampa Bay Times confirms that LeGarrette Blount is expected to lose his starting job to first-round pick Doug Martin.

Blount doesn't have the passing-game value of Martin, and he's not as talented of ball carrier, either. Beat writer Rick Stroud suggests Blount's role could devolve into a late-game clock killer. Blount, of course, will have to clean up his ball security to earn the coaching staff's confidence as a "keep the lead" back." Regardless, his fantasy value is nearly in the gutter. May 2 - 7:14 PM

Source: Tampa Bay Times

So, how much of a hit do you Bucs fans (and anyone else for that matter) think Blount's production will take this season? RBBC is popular these days, so even if he's not technically the "starter", I think Blount will get a decent amount of carries per game.

Edited by BLUE
Edited for a reason.

Whoever starts won't matter. I expect both guys to get some reps, with Martin likely getting more because of his other abilities. I also could see Michael Smith getting on the field a few times a game too. The Saints used three backs last year, and Schiano wants to be a running offense this season.

As for Blount's production, I expect about 150 carries for 700 yards and 3-5 TDs or so.

I hate when papers like the Tampa Bay Times make headlines like this. No one confirmed anything. The team isn't going to tell Stroud or anyone else the chances of Blount losing the starting role until they actually see Doug Martin on the field. The guy hasn't even starting training camp yet.

I expect Blount to get most of the carries, at least for the start of the season. Doug might get most of the actual offensive snaps if Blount can't prove he's a better blocker. Picking up a blitz in college isn't quite the same as picking it up in the NFL.

I hate when papers like the Tampa Bay Times make headlines like this. No one confirmed anything. The team isn't going to tell Stroud or anyone else the chances of Blount losing the starting role until they actually see Doug Martin on the field. The guy hasn't even starting training camp yet.

I expect Blount to get most of the carries, at least for the start of the season. Doug might get most of the actual offensive snaps if Blount can't prove he's a better blocker. Picking up a blitz in college isn't quite the same as picking it up in the NFL.

This exactly. They are making their own assumptions and those posting them like their facts that came from the coaching staff. Martin hasn't proved anything yet. I still expect Blount to be the "starting" back but that wont mean anything. Like Milla said, I expect Schiano to use Blount, Martin and Smith through out the game. Obviously, Martin could end up getting the most snaps being that he can stay in on third down passing situations.

Blount still has the ability to wear down a defense and is the most effective in the second half and fourth quarter when we are trying to close out a game. I think we will have games in which Blount goes for 100 and a TD or 2. Other games, we might need to pass more and he'll end up with 40-50 yards with Martin being more of a weapon.

It really doesn't matter who starts or gets the most touches. Put in whoever we need for the situation, whoever is playing better and whoever isn't going to turn the ball over.

Yea it's just Stroud speculating. No one knows anything about this teams scheme on offense or defense except what Schiano wants them to know. The only thing he's said is he wants to be physical on both sides of the ball and smart. Common shit. Also, that he wants to be a physical running team.

I'd guess that Martin definitely will get more reps and touches because he's so versatile. We'll see.

"Competition breeds excellence"

Martin and Blount pushing each other is nothing but a plus. Sprinkle in a little of the speedster RB, Michael Smith.

Hopefully Blount embraces the competition and gets better rather than ranting on Twitter or getting into scuffles in camp.

Yea it's just Stroud speculating. No one knows anything about this teams scheme on offense or defense except what Schiano wants them to know. The only thing he's said is he wants to be physical on both sides of the ball and smart. Common shit. Also, that he wants to be a physical running team.

I'd guess that Martin definitely will get more reps and touches because he's so versatile. We'll see.

"Competition breeds excellence"

Martin and Blount pushing each other is nothing but a plus. Sprinkle in a little of the speedster RB, Michael Smith.

I am not sure calling Smith a speedster is accurate. Ya, he has a good burst through the line and accelerates quickly... But the dude is 5 ft 8, 210 pounds. Ya, he's fast but he's got strength and power as well.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I am not sure calling Smith a speedster is accurate. Ya, he has a good burst through the line and accelerates quickly... But the dude is 5 ft 8, 210 pounds. Ya, he's fast but he's got strength and power as well.

Just basing that off of the limited exposure I've had of Smith. Plays very fast on the field and yea he's a strong dude but you don't see him running with a lot of power.

Also, him running sub 4.3-40s and he's said his personal best is a 4.27. Granted that's all straight line speed, but still....damn that's fast...

Just basing that off of the limited exposure I've had of Smith. Plays very fast on the field and yea he's a strong dude but you don't see him running with a lot of power.

Also, him running sub 4.3-40s and he's said his personal best is a 4.27. Granted that's all straight line speed, but still....damn that's fast...

Oh yeah. Dude has wheels. But he's got 10-20+ pounds on guys like Chris Johnson, Darren Sproles, and Jamaal Charles. He can run the ball up the gut effectively and he won't just fall over after a defender breathes on him. He's gonna fight for every yard and will get that extra something because of his compact build.

Obviously he is no Michael Turner, lol. But to say he is purely a "speedster" is really underrating his talent and skill set, IMO. Smith is one of those guys I am really looking forward to seeing this year, even if his time is limited with two talented guys ahead of him.

Oh yeah. Dude has wheels. But he's got 10-20+ pounds on guys like Chris Johnson, Darren Sproles, and Jamaal Charles. He can run the ball up the gut effectively and he won't just fall over after a defender breathes on him. He's gonna fight for every yard and will get that extra something because of his compact build.

Obviously he is no Michael Turner, lol. But to say he is purely a "speedster" is really underrating his talent and skill set, IMO. Smith is one of those guys I am really looking forward to seeing this year, even if his time is limited with two talented guys ahead of him.

I'll take your word as someone who has seen much more of him than my own little exposure any day.

I really do think he'll have pretty significant role this year. An x-factor so to speak.

I'll take your word as someone who has seen much more of him than my own little exposure any day.

I really do think he'll have pretty significant role this year. An x-factor so to speak.

Ya, watch him look terrible now after my ringing endorsement. :laugh:

Ya, watch him look terrible now after my ringing endorsement. :laugh:

:dry:

Thanks for jinxing it....

lul

Doesn't really matter who starts. Both of them will be getting their fair share of reps. Some games it will be Martin producing and other games it will be Blount. It really will be whoever has the hot hand getting the ball.

He looks like a solid back. Not sure if he's a guy that can take on the full load of a starting running back though. I don't care what Tampa Bay says about Blount, I can't see them taking him completely off the field in the thick of a game. It just wouldn't make sense to me. The guy is a bruiser, and he's hard to take down. At this point you almost have to split the carries between the two. It has to be done smart though, because although Blount isn't a guy known for being solid during pass plays, you still have to put him out there so defenses aren't guessing run.

Then again, I haven't seen a whole lot of Doug Martin either. Just what I've seen on highlight videos, and heard from the "experts" (Lol)

He looks like a solid back. Not sure if he's a guy that can take on the full load of a starting running back though. I don't care what Tampa Bay says about Blount, I can't see them taking him completely off the field in the thick of a game. It just wouldn't make sense to me. The guy is a bruiser, and he's hard to take down. At this point you almost have to split the carries between the two. It has to be done smart though, because although Blount isn't a guy known for being solid during pass plays, you still have to put him out there so defenses aren't guessing run.

Then again, I haven't seen a whole lot of Doug Martin either. Just what I've seen on highlight videos, and heard from the "experts" (Lol)

Blount is effective when he gets into the second and third levels of a defense, but his vision is average at best and his hands are below average. Oh yea...and he's a piss poor blocker on passing downs.

All he's shown is that he's a complimentary back. That's what we've seen fom him thus far.

Not really sure how you came to the thought that Martin may not be an every down back. In fact, EVERYONE else says that he's an every down RB. He can do it all.

He's a patient runner, excellent hands and vision and is an excellent blocker.

Again, I think both will get their reps and carries along with Michael Smith, but IMO Martin will get most of them.

Edited by BucD

It's obviously just speculation, but if I was going to just take a shot in the dark, I think Doug Martin will be more effective and be given more reps. Blount beasted a few times back in 2010 and then did nothing to solidify a starting role for 2012 in 2011. So the job is up for grabs to the best guy, and I think Doug Martin brings more to the table as far as everything but breaking tackles.

Martin will get more reps because he'll be in on passing situations... that can turn into screens, swings, or even draws after an audible. Martin will have the better year, for sure.

Just from the video, he has a low center of gravity with excellent balance, has a great cut move, and looks comfortable carrying the ball in either hand and switching the ball from one side to the other.

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN's John Clayton is the latest NFL insider to project first-round pick Doug Martin as the Buccaneers' starting tailback.

"I think it's gonna be Doug Martin's job to lose," said Clayton. "... I think in the end, Martin's gonna win that starting job, and he's probably gonna win it pretty convincingly." Clayton, Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson, ESPN NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas, and the Tampa Bay Times have all projected Martin to beat out LeGarrette Blount. Don't sleep on Martin in 2012 fantasy drafts. May 13 - 4:52 PM

Source: ESPN.com

Before the NFL draft, Buccaneersrunning back LeGarrette Blount said he wouldn't be happy if Tampa Bay tookrunning back Trent Richardson early in the first round. As it turned out, theBucs took running back Doug Martin late in the first round, and Blount is finewith that — because he still thinks he'll be the No. 1 option in the runninggame.

Asked if he still sees himself as the No. 1 back, Blount saidtoday, "Yeah, until they take it away."

In fact, Blount said, "they" can't take it away from him atall: Rick Stroud ‏of the Tampa Bay Times reports that Blount sees himself as incontrol of how much he carries the ball.

"Nobody can affect my carries but me," Blount said. "Theydrafted [Martin] because we needed him. But at the end of the day, we're bothgoing to play. But don't nobody affect my carries but me. Not what he does, notwhat anybody else does, just how I practice and how fast I get the offense downpat."

Blount said he lost some weight to get ready for organizedteam activities, motivated in part by a desire to prove he can carry the load.

"I had the idea they were going to draft another guy," Blountsaid. "Them drafting a running back might be what I needed to become an everydown back."

- PFT

Glad to see that Blount is welcoming in the competition.

Edited by GoodellFTL