SteVo

Top 50 Films of the 21st Century (to Date)

Everyone's a critic. Appropriate. :shifty:

I was going to quote some commentary from my thesis for the top 25, but I can write brief write-ups for the rest, if you guys like.

Walk-the-Line-Posters.jpg

James Mangold's biographical film about the early life and career of Johnny Cash works just as well as a period piece of the 1960's. While Joaquin Phoenix is tremendous in his portrayal of Cash, Reese Witherspoon is even better as June Carter, and she won an Oscar for her performance. Phoenix and Witherspoon both did their own singing for the film, making their performances all the more impressive.

50) George Clooney’s Good Night, and Good Luck

49) Greg Mottola’s Superbad

48) Terry George’s Hotel Rwanda

47) David O. Russell’s The Fighter

46) Ron Howard’s Frost/Nixon

45) Edward Zwick’s Blood Diamond

44) Christopher Nolan’s Batman Begins

43) Ben Stiller’s Tropic Thunder

42) James Mangold’s Walk the Line

• Upvote 2

Tropic Thunder >> Batman Begins...

Stevo, you just went Full Retard.

Yeah Batman Begins is way better then tropic thunder. Im guessing the humor is very different among yall. Tropic thunder was funny but not THAT funny.

Yeah Batman Begins is way better then tropic thunder. Im guessing the humor is very different among yall. Tropic thunder was funny but not THAT funny.

Well, SteVo did say there's a lot more to it than a comedy so I don't think he's grading it purely on comedic sense.

Tropic Thunder had some of the best scenes (especially for a comedy) in film over the last decade. It most definitely belongs on the list, if not higher.

Including this one... Which honestly is one of Tom Cruises crown jewels.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

F4E gets it. Tropic Thunder isn't just one of the funniest movies of the century, it offers smart humor and a smart script that is very self-reflexive about Hollywood filmmaking. Oh, and it features a legendary performance by Robert Downey Jr. and a fantastic cameo by Tom Cruise.

• Upvote 1

Also, I'm heading out early tonight so here's the next entry.

the_prestige_01.jpg

This is already director Christopher Nolan's second film on this list, and it won't be his last. The Prestige is masterfully written by the Nolan brothers; the script's three acts mimic the three stages of a magic trick: the pledge, the turn, and the prestige. Telling its story through a nonlinear narrative, the plot features a ton of twists and turns and leaves you wowed the first time you see it.

50) George Clooney's Good Night, and Good Luck

49) Greg Mottola's Superbad

48) Terry George's Hotel Rwanda

47) David O. Russell's The Fighter

46) Ron Howard's Frost/Nixon

45) Edward Zwick's Blood Diamond

44) Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins

43) Ben Stiller's Tropic Thunder

42) James Mangold's Walk the Line

41) Christopher Nolan's The Prestige

Edited by SteVo

F4E gets it. Tropic Thunder isn't just one of the funniest movies of the century, it offers smart humor and a smart script that is very self-reflexive about Hollywood filmmaking. Oh, and it features a legendary performance by Robert Downey Jr. and a fantastic cameo by Tom Cruise.

In my opinion it wasnt all that. Like a 6 out of 10. Not bad but seen better. Not knockin the list, but i thought Batman Begins was 3times better then a movie like Tropic Thunder. BTW How long did it take u do to a 79 page report? FUCK THAT. Makes me remember the 5 pages we had to do in high school like its nothing.

BTW How long did it take u do to a 79 page report? FUCK THAT. Makes me remember the 5 pages we had to do in high school like its nothing.

The writing process itself took place over the course of about two months.

Also, I'm heading out early tonight so here's the next entry.

the_prestige_01.jpg

This is already director Christopher Nolan's second film on this list, and it won't be his last. The Prestige is masterfully written by the Nolan brothers; the script's three acts mimic the three stages of a magic trick: the pledge, the turn, and the prestige. Telling its story through a nonlinear narrative, the plot features a ton of twists and turns and leaves you wowed the first time you see it.

The Prestige was simply incredible.

Abracadabra.

The writing process itself took place over the course of about two months.

Yeah fuck that. Lol

We need to take bets on #1...

Imma bet on Gladiator right now.

I'm one of the few people I know who preferred The Illusionist to The Prestige, but they're both absolutely phenomenal movies.

• Upvote 2

We need to take bets on #1...

Imma bet on Gladiator right now.

I think he said that the #1 was going to upset some people, Gladiator doesn't really fit that mold.

I'm gonna go with No Country For Old Men.

I just hope that Memento makes the list. Loved that movie, and the way they did a flash back and flash forward in the story simultaneously and then meet in the middle at the end I thought was brilliant.

Edit: *makes the top five. That would be my pick for #1.

Edited by B-isforBowe

l_360717_cc7b5dd2.jpg

Director Peter Jackson rose to fame for his adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings novels, but he followed them up with an impressive remake of one of cinema's most classic stories, King Kong. Featuring the sense of adventure that made the LotR films such a success, the film's greatest strength is not that it keeps us entertained for three hours, but that it gives its viewers such a strong emotional connection to a giant, CGI ape.

40) Peter Jackson's King Kong

I am thinking... Really hard... I don't think I like King Kong over any movie on the list so far.

Knowing Stefan, I'm gonna say that #1 is Justin Bieber's "Never Say Never"

• Upvote 2

I think he said that the #1 was going to upset some people, Gladiator doesn't really fit that mold.

I'm gonna go with No Country For Old Men.

I don't see how that would upset anyone either.

No Country is easily one of the best movies of the past decade, and personally one of my all-time favorites. If it's outside of the top 10 on this list, then it'd upset me.

I don't see how that would upset anyone either.

No Country is easily one of the best movies of the past decade, and personally one of my all-time favorites. If it's outside of the top 10 on this list, then it'd upset me.

It would upset me, and that's all I'm basing this off of. :shifty:

I hated the ending, enough so that it ruined the movie.

I'll give you guys this much: pretty sure the majority will agree with 4-10, but the entire top three has the potential to piss people off. Should be interesting. :devious:

I didn't like the King Kong remake at all.

I'm trying to get into movies more after taking a film class, but the only movies on your list I've actually seen are Superbad, Batman Begins and King Kong rofl. I have seen parts of Tropic Thunder, but never the whole movie. It looked awesme though.

King... Kong...

Hey Stevo, this list is awful and you should be ashamed of yourself.

did The Illusionist find a spot on this list, SteVo? Was it considered?

Not ball-busting anymore. Just curious. You're definitely doing a combination of both quality and box-office effect, and I guess I agree with that as far as promoting this list as a "top 50 of" is concerned.