Sign in to follow this  
Omerta

Who has the best Rivalry in Football ?

Jimmy Smith is only going into his second year and didn't do anything out of the ordinary last year. Webb is a decent corner. I'm not putting him in a top 10 though

:Steelers: vs. :Ravens: Currently the best rivalry today. Nearly every game (with the exception of last years Ravens 35-7 blowout win) has been intense.

The entire NFC East: VERY close second. All four teams always fight tooth and claw to the end in their matches, regardless of current standing/talent.

:Packers: vs. :Bears: Long standing historical rivalry is still fun to watch, especially when the fans add to the mix. Lots of passion here.

:Colts: vs. :Patriots: As much as I disliked these two teams, I have to admit Brady vs. Manning was an exciting battle. Plenty of tight games, especially the 2006-07 AFC title game, where Peyton finally beat Brady in the playoffs. It's too bad this rivalry is dying down now.

Jimmy Smith is only going into his second year and didn't do anything out of the ordinary last year. Webb is a decent corner. I'm not putting him in a top 10 though

No offense man but you really dont pay enough attention to the AFCN. Do you know who the only starting corner was last year to not let up a single touchdown ? Lardarius Webb. And Jimmy Smith showcased big play ability and has gotten faster this off season. A 6'2" corner who runs sub 4.4 who plays great press coverage is dynamite waiting to happen.

• Upvote 1

If you asked if I had my money on Webb vs. Green or Wallace I'm sorry, but I couldn't see him stopping them. And the key word is WAITING to happen for Smith. I have already said he is one player I expect a break out year from but as of right now its just potential.

Did you just start following the NFL? Exciting for one year... are you fucking kidding me? It was one of the best rivalries of the past decade. Plenty of great regular season games and memorable postseason games between the two teams. The 2006-07 AFC Championship game will go down as one of the best postseason games to be ever played. Pats held a 21-3 lead early on, Colts rallied and managed to get the game winning TD under 2 minutes left in the game. Hated the result, but it was a hell of a game. And FWIW, Pats and Colts fans are pretty bitter towards each other.

Your bias is showing. The Colts and Pats have had competitive match-ups over the last ten years. That DOES NOT qualify it as a rivalry. A rivalry needs to develop over the course of many years, the teams need to play each other often, and the fans need to display their hatred of the other team.

1) Colts/Pats 'rivalry' came about very recently. It can still develop into a rivalry, but it isn't one right now because it is so young.

2) It's exciting when these teams play, but it isn't very often. How can you have a rivalry that doesn't take place every year?

3) I have never seen you display any hatred toward Indy and I've never seen Colts fans display a hatred toward the Pats. Look at Bears and Packers fans, Ravens and Steelers fans, and Giants and Eagles fans on these boards. Those rivalries are a constant topic between those fans. You've never even mentioned it.

• Downvote 1

Your bias is showing. The Colts and Pats have had competitive match-ups over the last ten years. That DOES NOT qualify it as a rivalry. A rivalry needs to develop over the course of many years, the teams need to play each other often, and the fans need to display their hatred of the other team.

1) Colts/Pats 'rivalry' came about very recently. It can still develop into a rivalry, but it isn't one right now because it is so young.

2) It's exciting when these teams play, but it isn't very often. How can you have a rivalry that doesn't take place every year?

3) I have never seen you display any hatred toward Indy and I've never seen Colts fans display a hatred toward the Pats. Look at Bears and Packers fans, Ravens and Steelers fans, and Giants and Eagles fans on these boards. Those rivalries are a constant topic between those fans. You've never even mentioned it.

It did take place practically every year for the last decade, because both teams would win their division 90% of the time, and so they would play each other every year they both won their divisions, plus every three years on a rotation- that's how NFL scheduling works.

It was a rivalry. It isn't really any longer, with Peyton gone. A decade is plenty long enough for a rivalry.

My mother and sister, both huge Colts fans, absolutely despise New England.

Colts/Pats was definitely a great rivalry to watch.

OT: Steelers/Ravens is the best in football, no question. Those two teams are always very competitive and there's always talk about one or both being Superbowl bound.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

Webb is a top ten corner. Case closed. Windy, Patriots and the colts have a riavrly. they played in so many big games for this decade O6 play offS, 04 and 03 playoffs and all those great regular season games it damm well makes it a rivarly.

• Upvote 1

If you asked if I had my money on Webb vs. Green or Wallace I'm sorry, but I couldn't see him stopping them. And the key word is WAITING to happen for Smith. I have already said he is one player I expect a break out year from but as of right now its just potential.

You would lose. You do realize that Webb shuts Wallace down right ? He already did it...Twice. You should have seen it. Same way with Green.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

Wallace: 100+ yards receiving first time against Baltimore. And 68yds with a TD the second time.

And Green played them once and was shut down...as a rookie. This year don't count on it.

Wallace: 100+ yards receiving first time against Baltimore. And 68yds with a TD the second time.

And Green played them once and was shut down...as a rookie. This year don't count on it.

Man seriously stop. If you watched the game you would know in the final drive of the steelers with the game in hand and less than a minute to go 40 of those yards came against a prevent defense in garbage time. before that he did not have 70 until that drive and every steeler and Raven fan will tell you that.

Second game on his lone 25 yrd TD Cary Williams guarded him. Before that through three quarters webb was on him. He did not get 50 yards against Webb.

Seriously man this is getting ridiculous, Webb is EASILY a top 10 Corner and the only reason you dont know is because you dont watch the games, as a bears fan though I cant fault you.

Edited by Ngata_Chance
  • Upvote 1

For the last decade it's been the Steelers and Ravens. For the most part both teams have been contenders every year and all their games are fun to watch. If we're talking in the history, it's hard to top Packers and Bears.

I can tell you haven't paid much attention to Pats-Colts football.

I don't give a fuck what Windy's qualifications are for a rivalry, the Pats-Colts rivalry of the 2000s was a damn good one.

They've met 13 times since 2000. 16 times if you count the postseason. The last year that they didn't meet was 2002. But no... they don't play each other that often!

Do you ever watch any football outside of the Bears? Christ.

Oh, so since you've never seen me shit talk the Colts that must mean I don't have anything against them, right? Hell, I must be cool with the Jets too since I barely ''display any hatred'' toward them on TGP. Brilliant fucking logic, Windy.

Go make another argument about how Drew Bledsoe is a HOF'er. :rolleyes:

Colts-Pats isn't a rivalry in the same way that Bears-Packers is in that its probably over now, but during 2003-2010, there were no two teams that played as much with a lot on the line.

Pretty much anyone in the NFC East vs each other.

Ravens vs Steelers.

Colts-Pats isn't a rivalry in the same way that Bears-Packers is in that its probably over now

Never

@ngata Ok for now I'm not gonna really argue Webb's status in my mind he isn't top tier corner so if he is in the top ten or just out of it really depends on the opinion of the fan. I will leave it at that.

Webb is a top 5 CB. He was excellent last year.

I can tell you haven't paid much attention to Pats-Colts football.

I pay attention to all football. You clearly don't pay attention to football outside of the Pats. If you did, you see that Pats-Colts doesn't even come close to the intensity of other NFL rivalries.

They've met 13 times since 2000. 16 times if you count the postseason. The last year that they didn't meet was 2002. But no... they don't play each other that often!\

Irrelevant. You're only going back to 2000. You need to look at the comparison. The Pats and Colts didn't start playing each other until 1970. The first meeting between the Bears and Packers was 1921 and they were rivals pretty much from that point. The Colts-Pats rivalry didn't really become one until the 2000s and now it's dying. I am willing to say that they had a rivalry, but it isn't near the other big ones of the NFL.

Oh, so since you've never seen me shit talk the Colts that must mean I don't have anything against them, right? Hell, I must be cool with the Jets too since I barely ''display any hatred'' toward them on TGP. Brilliant fucking logic, Windy.

Yes, actually. Look around yourself. Steelers fans on here talk shit about the Ravens, Packers fans talk shit about the Bears, etc. If you really hated them that much, you would show it as a passionate football fan.

Go make another argument about how Drew Bledsoe is a HOF'er. :rolleyes:

You know that you're conceding defeat when...

Bottom line is that the Patriots and Colts had a rivalry, but it isn't as significant as the major rivalries that exist. It's right there with the Packers and Vikings - a rivalry that is there but dies out. There is a small set of rivalries that will never die (CHI-GB, BAL-PIT, NYG-PHI, DAL-WAS) and Indy-NE is not one of them.

• Downvote 1

I pay attention to all football. You clearly don't pay attention to football outside of the Pats. If you did, you see that Pats-Colts doesn't even come close to the intensity of other NFL rivalries.

Been going to sports bars for about the past ten years to watch most of the Sunday games. But nah, I clearly don't give a shit about the NFL outside of the Pats.

Irrelevant. You're only going back to 2000. You need to look at the comparison. The Pats and Colts didn't start playing each other until 1970. The first meeting between the Bears and Packers was 1921 and they were rivals pretty much from that point. The Colts-Pats rivalry didn't really become one until the 2000s and now it's dying. I am willing to say that they had a rivalry, but it isn't near the other big ones of the NFL.

My god, you're fucking dumb, Windy. My point was that the Pats-Colts rivalry was one of the best of the 2000s. The past fucking decade. I wasn't trying to make it out to sound like it was some historic rivalry that's been going on for the past 50 years. Your reading comprehension is brutal.

Yes, actually. Look around yourself. Steelers fans on here talk shit about the Ravens, Packers fans talk shit about the Bears, etc. If you really hated them that much, you would show it as a passionate football fan.

Hey everyone, according to Windy, you have to talk shit about your rivals on a daily basis on an internet message board to show that you actually hate them and you're passionate! Otherwise, you're just a shitty fan.

Once again, genius logic, Windy. Genius.

You know that you're conceding defeat when...

Conceding defeat? Actually, it's just a reminder of how fucking dog shit your knowledge of football is at times.

Bottom line is that the Patriots and Colts had a rivalry, but it isn't as significant as the major rivalries that exist. It's right there with the Packers and Vikings - a rivalry that is there but dies out. There is a small set of rivalries that will never die (CHI-GB, BAL-PIT, NYG-PHI, DAL-WAS) and Indy-NE is not one of them.

Oh, now you're backtracking and saying it was a rivalry? What happened to saying it was only exciting for one year? And you dumb motherfucker... I NEVER said it was on the same level as a Baltimore-Pittsburgh rivalry. All I did was disprove your point of how Pats-Colts was not a rivalry and how they don't play each other that often. LOL @ your dumbass for interpreting as me trying to make Pats-Colts rivalry sound like the rivalry of the century. Said it was one of the best of the past decade... nothing more, nothing less.

steelers/ravens....of course this is the best rivalry...mostly due to both teams--being very close to being equal in talent...kinda cpoies of each other...

excuse me, i had to vomit in my mouth a bit for saying ravens was close in talent...felt a little sick aftwer sayign that...ok..

seriously...if not for the new rules prohibiting any defensive intimidation at all, and holding def accountable 100% for all contact between 2 people--everyone every year woudl be talking about the big hits that happened in the steelers/ravens games...

now--we just have to talk about the past..ahh..love those lawsuits bro...

hopefully this year--steelers will show up for the first matchup..cause they let down the entire nation with that first game..second one?...more like it...just hoping for a different outcome in the last 8 seconds this time around...

I hate the ravens..but i do respect them..cause at least--they play football like it shoudl be played, and I wish haloti ngata would go to the nfc side...cause he is the best defender never mentioned...

I know it's not the most popular, but I love the Titans-Ravens rivalry. The McNair/George vs Ray Lewis battles were so epic.

Clearly it's Pitt/Ravens atm, with the NFC East at a neck and neck second.

However, I will say that when you talk about history and what not, it's hard not to bring up the Chiefs/Raiders. I know it's an afterthought for everyone but fans with rooting interest at this point due to a lack of performance from both teams as of late, but those teams really hate each other.

The fans aren't fond of one another either, at all. Those are my two favorite games to watch every year. I'm still mad as hell that they knocked us out of the playoff race last season and will be until we kick their asses in week 8 this season. It's circled on the calender.

I know it's not the most popular, but I love the Titans-Ravens rivalry. The McNair/George vs Ray Lewis battles were so epic.

that rivalry had a good run and if not for the realignment in '02 it would be in the conversation, but IMO the rivalry has faded a lot, partially due to traitors like McNair and Mason (I'm still having a little trouble with the fact that he retired as a Raven) and partially due to a lot of the major forces in it leaving (George and Fisher on our side, Billick on theirs) but largely due to the fact that we don't play each other twice (often three times) a year, but yeah, from about '99 to '03 that was one of the best rivalries in football, problem is it didn't last nearly long enough to really be in the same discussion as rivalries like Cowboys/Redskins (or any other NFCE rivalry) or Bears/Pakers