Sign in to follow this  
RANGA

Backup QBs Who Will Start By Midseason

Saw this on Bleacher Report and thought it might make for an interesting discussion.

Their list was:

:Cardinals: - Skelton replaces Kolb

:jags: - Henne beats out Gabbert

:dolphins: - Tannehill over Garrard and Moore

:Jets: - Tebow replaces Sanchez

:Titans: - Locker replaces Hasselbeck

:Seahawks: - Wilson over Flynn

I think Tebow (or anyone for that matter) replacing Sanchez is only a matter of time, not sure about the others though...

Edited by RANGA

Wilson over Flynn is unlikely to happen, but Flynn over Jackson is gonna happen for sure. Yeah TJack is gonna start with the starting job because... well Carroll is bad with QB evaluation. I have a feeling Henne will start the season, and if he doesn't he'll finish it. Locker will get a chance to shine, Tannehill is gonna sit all season except for maybe the last game if Miami is out of the hunt. Skelton will replace Kolb, since he's not gonna win the "competition" in training camp.

I see absolutely no way that the Jags bench Gabbert for Henne. Unless if he takes playing bad to a whole new level.

So Henne will be starting by midseason then.

• Upvote 1

Henne and Locker are the only ones that will happen. At least in situations non-injury related.

I really think the Jags are stuck with Gabbert through this season if only because if they sit him halfway through his second season after giving him the job halfway through his rookie year he'll never recover psychologically and he'll be a career backup, and the Jags invested too much in him to doom him to that already

also, I'm going to be a little surprised (not shocked) if Locker isn't starting week 1

Edited by oochymp

I think the first 4 happen. Locker's year will be next year in Tennessee. Waiting to start him a couple years is going to pay off.

If Sanchez does not get benched I would be surprised.

Mike Kafka will be the starter for the Eagles by week 4. Vick's going to get injured early this year. Just sayin' not wishing injury...but it's fate.

Mike Kafka will be the starter for the Eagles by week 4. Vick's going to get injured early this year. Just sayin' not wishing injury...but it's fate.

I don't know if it'll be early, but Vick will get hurt, he always does, he doesn't typically miss a whole lot of time but you can count on him to miss about 3-4 games a season

I may be going bold here, but...

:Browns: Seneca Wallace over Brandon Weeden

Hopefully I'm wrong and Weeden proves me wrong, but I could see a scenario where Seneca gets the nod if Weeden has a Gabbert-esque rookie season. Even though the odds are likely that the Browns will take their lumps with Weeden under center regardless.

Can I throw Kaepernick over Alex Smith out there? I doubt it will happen, but if it does at least somebody thought it was a possibility.

Skelton over Kolb

Can I throw Kaepernick over Alex Smith out there? I doubt it will happen, but if it does at least somebody thought it was a possibility.

I think Orton coming in to replace Romo has about as much chance of happening as that.

Skelton over Kolb

Smith could and probably will be better than he was last year, and he was solid then. No chance he gets replaced unless it's due to injury, IMO.

Unless Vick is on IR Kafka won't be the starter.

:Cardinals: Skelton over Kolb

:Titans: Locker over Hasselbeck

Russel Wilson will not be starting any games anytime soon. He was very raw at training camp. He'll be given the 4th quarter in preseason games but I'm certain what little success he has against 3rd string defenses won't be looked at as anything overly impressive.