Favre4Ever

Greg Jennings Could Be Leaving The Packers

He will be a free agent next year, and with the Packers looking to extend guys like Rodgers, Matthews, and Raji.. I really don't think we have the cash to bring Greg back.

I think it's inevitable that he will find himself elsewhere for the 2013 season. It makes me sad.. Because the guy is a great player. He's a great person. He's a great role model and influence to those around him.

But that's the business.

Jennings will be eligible for free agency after this season unless the Packers re-sign him before next March or place the franchise tag on him. Often teams attempt to do big deals before the start of the preceding regular season, but if a deal is near, Jennings sure wasn't letting on during an interview Tuesday morning with ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike in the Morning."

Jennings said his future is "kind of up in the air" and added: " I definitely want to be here, but understanding the nature of the business, you never know. There is really nothing else I can really say or do. The ball is not in my court at all. I have to play the cards that I'm dealt. Right now it's football. That's my focus."

If the ball is "not in my court at all," as Jennings said, it's reasonable to assume the Packers haven't made what Jennings would consider a serious offer. That doesn't mean they don't want him back, but it probably reflects the coming cash and cap crunch the Packers face as their talented roster matures.

ESPN

I know this will sound crazy but u guys wont miss him. You guys are so deep in the WR position and you still have A-Rod. Having a elite QB makes things easier. Cobb looks like a YAC beast. He can make people miss and coming off the slot with nelson and Jones i think u guys will be ok. Jennings is going to get PAID though. I wonder where he goes. Im sure he'll go to a contender if hes not brought back. Could he go back to his college town in Detriot? Imagine him and Megatron lol. Might as well say fuck it if your defending that.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them let Jennings hit free agency. They have the depth to do it, and the line of guys waiting for their shot there is unbelievable.

Obviously losing Greg would suck, but the packers are one of those teams who could survive it either through the draft, or by getting a tiny downgrade. If GB played D like they did in 2010... :eek:

Yeah, this seems inevitable. I'd sure like to see him land with a team that needs a #1 or 2 WR so somebody else can become even more competitive. Imagine him signing with Blackmon and Robinson in Jacksonville, or Crabtree in SF?

I like to see players remain with the teams that brought them their stardom, but by God does the prospect of another team getting stronger in an already competitive NFL make me love it even more.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

Obviously losing Greg would suck, but the packers are one of those teams who could survive it either through the draft, or by getting a tiny downgrade. If GB played D like they did in 2010... :eek:

Are you sure they would need to fill the spot through the draft or free-agent down-grade though? I'm confident enough to say that I think either Randall Cobb or James Jones could step up and take his place. If not the #1 spot, surely the #2. Jordy Nelson is capable of being a solid #1 receiver on the Packers.

^ Cobb maybe. Jones probably not.

And we have the franchise tag option which, if he doesn't get extended during the season, is possible. He'd earn $9.7M.

It would be a tough blow, but something to Packers could handle for sure. Cobb is entering what his 3rd year of his career at WR (including college)? He was a 2nd rounder so obviously there is something there. They still got Jordy Nelson, and if they do lose Jennings, I am sure they would take another early round WR.

Seems to me like the Packers scout receivers very well. They could easily find the next Greg Jennings in next year's draft. Or, maybe they have already and we just don't know it yet.

Jennings should team up with Green in Cincy, but that owner is too damn cheap for that.

Green Bay would be stupid to let Jennings walk. He is considered a top 5 WR by some and is the reason the rest of the WRs are good. I would not be comfortable with Nelson, Jones, and Cobb along with unproven guys. The Packers have quite a bit of room that can be freed up. If D.J. Smith plays well, AJ Hawk would become expendable and save the Packers roughly $5 million. Woodson is making $11.5 million this season but that is because of his bonuses, next season he will make his base salary of $6.5 million. Ryan Pickett is just about done and he is making $5 million. They can free up enough money to sign all 4 of those guys, and I doubt any of them are looking for max contracts.

Come to Baltimore Mr. Jennings. We would love to have a bona fide #1.

In all seriousness though I think it is going to be hard to resign him as well. I mean the Aaron Rodgers contract is going to soak up a lot of money because by all rights he is the best in the league in mosts eye's and with him you can withstand the loss. Without him not so much because so GB is at his mercy, and I am sure the Cards would sacrifice everything to get him except fitz. Matthews is a top pass rusher so he is going to be in the neighborhood of 55 million. Raji will nto be as much but can expect 30 or so. so if A rod even takes lets say 80 million that is still estimated about 165 million in total cap and broken down probably somwhere in the neighborhood of 35 million on three guys and that is if Rodgers does not want the drew brees contract he is worth. This is going to be tough.

Green Bay would be stupid to let Jennings walk. He is considered a top 5 WR by some and is the reason the rest of the WRs are good. I would not be comfortable with Nelson, Jones, and Cobb along with unproven guys. The Packers have quite a bit of room that can be freed up. If D.J. Smith plays well, AJ Hawk would become expendable and save the Packers roughly $5 million. Woodson is making $11.5 million this season but that is because of his bonuses, next season he will make his base salary of $6.5 million. Ryan Pickett is just about done and he is making $5 million. They can free up enough money to sign all 4 of those guys, and I doubt any of them are looking for max contracts.

That's a good post and I do remember reading an article (might have been JSOnline or Packers.com) where Rodgers said he wasn't looking for a ton of money.

Jennings also probably isn't looking for a ton of money the Packers are just lowballing him to see how bad he wants to stay in GB.

The main guys who are needing extensions over the next two years are Jennings, Rodgers, Raji, and Matthews.

Two of these guys are still on rookie contracts and will be getting their pay day. Matthews' will be big but idk about Raji. Rodgers will be big as well but not Drew Brees money or anything close to that.

Jennings and Rodgers will be (assuming Jennings gets an extension) getting most likely their final big contract with the Packers. A 6 year extension for both will bring Jennings here until 2018 and Rodgers until 2019, where they are age 34 and 35 respectively.

I figure by reducing a few other guys' contracts by cutting/restructuring them, we could save Jennings and keep both him and Nelson on our team.

You're right though. Why let a sure-fire top 10 (maybe top 5) talent go when you can free up enough space to sign him? I don't see the logic in this at all letting him go. We have the best WR corps in the NFL atm, why let one or out top 2 guys go and risk not having the best next year? Our team is all about passing..

Jennings is an elite WR and he would be missed if we couldn't retain him after this season. However, we have incredible depth at the WR position and it's a loss that we could manage if necessary.

Rodgers won't be getting anything close to Drew Brees money? Unless he voluntarily takes less, his deal will top that of Brees.

We just don't have the cap room to keep Jennings, and being that it's our deepest position, arguably... I see the logic in letting him walk. It sucks, I love Greg. But... It's one of those things that just seem like it is going to happen.

I bought some Packer jerseys about a month ago or so and I deliberately avoided a Jennings jersey for this very reason.

Also.. being that the money is part of the issue here, I highly doubt we throw a 10 million dollar franchise tag on him.

Aaron Rodgers getting in the mix a little:

Aaron Rodgers loves throwing to Greg Jennings, but it sure sounds like the Green Bay Packers quarterback believes this season will be his last opportunity to do it.

"I think you have to be realistic about it and think that it might be (our last year together)," Rodgers said Tuesday on WAUK-AM in Milwaukee. "I have loved my time with Greg; Greg and I are going to be buddies whether he’s here or not."

Jennings is in the final season of the four-year, $26.9 million contract he signed in 2009. The Packers will have several key players to take care of after the season, creating the distinct possibility Jennings will be too expensive to keep.

Another thing needing to be mentioned is that both Raji and Matthews have 2 more years left. I could see Thompson waiting until mid-season next season to give them extensions so he could keep all 4 players. I will support whatever Thompson does but I believe losing Jennings would be a tougher loss than some of you think.

Oh, that's true. Forgot they're through 2013 cuz they were drafted in 09. I keep thinking that was the 08 draft class. Raji could probably wait til then for an extension. Matthews should get his this year, though. :yep:

I meant in production they wont mis it offensively. Now as teammates yeah they both have that chemistry, its hard to break that up. But when hes gone they have a bunch of proven players ready to step in and get their time.

Rodgers won't be getting anything close to Drew Brees money? Unless he voluntarily takes less, his deal will top that of Brees.

We just don't have the cap room to keep Jennings, and being that it's our deepest position, arguably... I see the logic in letting him walk. It sucks, I love Greg. But... It's one of those things that just seem like it is going to happen.

I bought some Packer jerseys about a month ago or so and I deliberately avoided a Jennings jersey for this very reason.

Also.. being that the money is part of the issue here, I highly doubt we throw a 10 million dollar franchise tag on him.

:yeahthat:

I see no reason why Aaron Rodgers couldn't or shouldn't get more money then Brees. Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL and named the best player in the league. Saying he won't get Brees money is like saying he isn't worth that much or doesn't deserve and neither are true in Rodgers case.

:yeahthat:

I see no reason why Aaron Rodgers couldn't or shouldn't get more money then Brees. Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL and named the best player in the league. Saying he won't get Brees money is like saying he isn't worth that much or doesn't deserve and neither are true in Rodgers case.

It's more that he came out and said he doesn't want the max contract. If it benefits the team, he rather have a smaller contract.

Green Bay isn't going to throw Jennings w/e he wants and I have a feeling that Jennings is going to look to get paid. Green Bay has an offense that does exactly what Brady and New England do...exactly what Peyton's Colts did....they make almost any player look like an All Pro. Honestly, with Jordy Nelson being the sure-handed possession guy he is, Randall Cobb being a kid who can stretch the field, and let's not forget about Finley as a pass-catching threat...

Jennings can be elsewhere in 2013 and the Packers wouldn't miss a beat.

Finley could be finding himself elsewhere as well.

If we keep Nelson, Cobb, and Jones. I think we will be fine. But we should look at drafting another WR, IMO, next year. It's one position that we can actually scout. lol

Finley could be finding himself elsewhere as well.

If we keep Nelson, Cobb, and Jones. I think we will be fine. But we should look at drafting another WR, IMO, next year. It's one position that we can actually scout. lol

True but I don't think Finley finds the fat paycheck he may think is waiting for him on the open market. The league is actually pretty heavy with pass-catching TE's right now and unless he has the greatest season ever, he's not going to get as much play.

Finley has to catch the ball to be a passing threat :yep:

No, but Finley is a threat when he catches the ball but until he has that monster of a season, he won't get a HUGE pay day that matches his talent (potential). Please believe though if Finley were to hit that free agent market, teams would be all over him. I don't believe Jennings is a system made WR either. I believe he could have success outside of the Packers organization.