Vin

Saints @ Panthers

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Looking to put an offseason of turmoil behind them, the New Orleans Saints instead invited more scrutiny by losing to a team led by a Heisman Trophy-winning, dual-threat rookie quarterbackThey never had that problem against Cam Newton last year.

The Saints hope to avoid becoming the only NFC South team without a victory Sunday when they visit Newton and the Carolina Panthers, who are trying to bounce back from a disheartening Week 1 performance of their own.

With coach Sean Payton suspended for the whole season and interim coach Joe Vitt banned for the first six games following the bounty scandal, New Orleans had all kinds of problems in its first contest under fill-in Aaron Kromer.

In a 40-32 home loss to Washington, the Saints committed 12 penalties for 107 yards, went 2 for 11 on third down and let Robert Griffin III throw for 320 yards in his NFL debut.

"I'm sure (Payton) was disappointed that we didn't play better than we did and he should have been," Kromer said. "We were all disappointed - players, coaches, everyone.

"We had one bad game. We're going to turn it around. It's a good wake-up call for us and we're ready to go."

Drew Brees threw for 339 yards and three touchdowns, but he had two interceptions while completing 24 of 52 passes - his worst percentage (46.2) since 2006.

The quarterback joined a chorus of Saints players insisting there's no reason to be concerned yet.

"We lost the first game of last year and finished 13-3," Brees said. "So there's no doubt that we can do it."

Of course, that opening defeat in 2011 was at Lambeau Field, whereas last weekend's loss was New Orleans' first at the Superdome since the final week of the 2010 season.

The Saints haven't lost to Carolina since the 2009 campaign. They put up 75 points in sweeping last season's series and did a good job limiting Newton, who was 31 of 56 for 382 yards over the two meetings.

Newton was among the handful of quarterbacks the NFL said were targeted in the bounty scandal, but he's not publicly showing any resentment toward the Saints.

"I'm not going to speak on something that was last year," Newton said. "That was last year, and I'm going to keep it at that."

New Orleans needed Brees' touchdown pass to Pierre Thomas in the final minute to win 30-27 in Charlotte on Oct. 9. Stopping the run was a major problem for the Saints that day, as DeAngelo Williams rolled up 115 yards on nine carries, but the Panthers couldn't move the ball on the ground last Sunday at Tampa Bay. Carolina totaled 10 yards - matching a franchise worst - on 13 carries and Williams finished with minus-1 yard on six attempts in a 16-10 loss.

Jonathan Stewart missed the game with an ankle injury and is listed as questionable this week along with wideout Steve Smith (knee), but coach Ron Rivera expects both of them to play.

Newton threw for 303 yards and a touchdown, but he was picked off twice in the second half and had a career-low four rushing yards.

"There's some cause for optimism as the mistakes on the offensive side are all correctable," Rivera said. "It wasn't a glaring thing as far as schematically. It was a player here or a player there, something that they did (wrong). We'll get better at it.

"There are some things we can do against (the Saints)," Rivera added.

Perhaps, but the offensive line play will probably need to be better. The Panthers started rookie Amini Silatolu at left guard and the second-round pick out of Midwestern State struggled, taking a pair of penalties and sharing the blame for two sacks.

The Saints also had problems running the ball, totaling 32 yards on 10 carries as they played from behind for the majority of the game.

"You're going to lose at some point in the season. That's just the reality of it," safety Malcolm Jenkins said. "I'd rather lose early. You find out what your team is about. You find your identity, what your strengths and weaknesses are and you correct them."

New Orleans hasn't started 0-2 since 2007, when it dropped its first four games en route to its most recent losing season.

A heavy dose of Jimmy Graham and Marques Colston may be the formula to avoid an early hole. That duo combined for 28 catches, 440 yards and three touchdowns against Carolina last year.

Brees has completed 70.2 percent of his passes with 10 touchdowns and three interceptions during the Saints' four-game winning streak in the series, averaging 319.0 passing yards per game.

Defensive end Will Smith started the opener for New Orleans after being reinstated from his bounty suspension, but the team remains without linebacker Jonathan Vilma, who was placed on the physically unable to perform list this week as he continues to recover from left knee surgery.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Here's to New Orleans starting the season off 0-2.

I'd like to see em go 0-2 as well. But I don't think it's gonna happen.

:Saints: 33

:panthers: 24

This is a matchup right now that I believe can easily go either way. Neither team can afford to go 0-2 and if the Panthers want to improve from last year & be a better team or contender, they really need to take this one and not lose another division game 2 weeks in a row. I think Drew has a chip on his shoulder (no Payton) and will be ready this week to show his fans and organization they can pull through.

:Saints: 34

:panthers: 23

Edited by dutchff7

Awesome to know that one of these teams will be starting out 0-2. Both teams played pretty poorly last week. The Panthers offense couldn't get much going, specifically their running game, and the Saints defense got torched by a rookie QB and rookie RB.

I think the Panthers offense will get back on track this game, but unfortunately for them, I think the Saints offense will be too much for Carolina's D and they will win this game.

34-28 Saints.

Graham and Sproles against the Panthers LBs should be a good one.

IMO if Carolina can improve on limiting the negative yard plays they have a chance. I think Cam Newton goes ham.

$cam Newton and company lose this one by the hands of their chosen One at quarterback. Drew Brees and the Saints will NOT start out 0-2. To much veteran leadership on that team to let that happen.

42-28 Saints

• Downvote 1

$cam Newton and company lose this one by the hands of their chosen One at quarterback. Drew Brees and the Saints will NOT start out 0-2. To much veteran leadership on that team to let that happen.

42-28 Saints

It's pretty funny that you say it will be Cam's fault, and then say the Saints will score 42 points. It's pretty much never the QB's fault if the opposing team scores 42 points.

It's pretty funny that you say it will be Cam's fault, and then say the Saints will score 42 points. It's pretty much never the QB's fault if the opposing team scores 42 points.

What if the QB can't keep up? :ninja:

Saints could never lose two straight. Could they? I was shocked at Drew Brees' poor throws last week which is really why they weren't in the game. He'll get it right :yep:

The Panthers can't go with the Al Davis ghost gameplan they used in week 1. Still, that won't be enough to beat the Saints.

:Saints: 30

:panthers: 21

It is when your Quarterback turns the ball over 4 times in the opposition's own territory.

Hoping the Panthers pull it off but not so sure they will.

:Saints: 27

:panthers: 20

Saints declared WR Devery Henderson, CB Johnny Patrick, RB Chris Ivory, RB Travaris Cadet, DL Tyrunn Walker, OT Bryce Harris and DL Turk McBride inactive for Week 2 versus the Panthers.

With Henderson out, Lance Moore should be close to an every-down receiver as a legit WR2/3 option. Joseph Morgan and Greg Camarillo are active behind Moore and Marques Colston.

Steve Smith (knee) and Jonathan Stewart (ankle) are active versus the Saints in Week 2.

Smith was the best player on the field last week. We can't sit him even with the knee soreness. Stewart is just a low-end flex option in his return from an serious ankle sprain.

Panthers inactives: QB Jimmy Clausen, TE Ben Hartsock, DL Frank Kearse, DB D.J. Campbell, LB Kenny Onatolu, OL Bruce Campbell and OG Mike Pollak.

Panthers looking fired up and a hell of a lot better than last week's sloppy play on offense.

Defense started out weak, but held strong to make the Saints kick two FGs.

I just can't help but feel that 4th and an inch retarded playcall is going to come back and bite us in the ass.

21-13 at the half.

Edited by Thanatos19

I hate how Drew Brees throws the ball 40-50 times a game... But then again, they are losing, so whatever... Great coaching, drew!

It is when your Quarterback turns the ball over 4 times in the opposition's own territory.

You were saying? :D

I don't like the conservative playcalling at the end, but way to win the home opener and by beating the Saints, that's a great way to turn it around after the Bucs beat us to start.

You know, I think it's funny that the bunch of Saints fans (Not all, but there was a pretty good group across several forums) that were saying they didn't need Payton are now officially M.I.A. and getting worried. Drew Brees is an amazing quarterback, but he can't do it by himself. And quite frankly, the play calling on the side lines has looked pretty bad as well.

If they don't win next week, they could be in trouble this season.

You know, I think it's funny that the bunch of Saints fans (Not all, but there was a pretty good group across several forums) that were saying they didn't need Payton are now officially M.I.A. and getting worried. Drew Brees is an amazing quarterback, but he can't do it by himself. And quite frankly, the play calling on the side lines has looked pretty bad as well.

If they don't win next week, they could be in trouble this season.

I'm glad you said across several forums cause I think I am the only one one this one. But you are right, alot of Saints fan thought we wouldn't miss a beat without Payton ( I am pretty sure I was one of them) but they are proving that is not the case. Maybe it will be different when Vitt comes back but I am beginning to doubt it.

Offense looks blah. Defense shows signs at times and other times looks lost. Pete Carmichael and Aaron Kromer are both coaching themselves out of any head coaching jobs that might open up right now.

Still have a chance to turn it around but right now it looks like a long season.

LOVE seeing the Saints at 0-2 sitting in the basement of the NFC South.

:yep:

LOVE seeing the Saints at 0-2 sitting in the basement of the NFC South.

Damn straight.

You know what I would love more? Seeing a three-way tie for first at the top of the NFC South.

Let's go Broncos!

Edited by Thanatos19