BLUE

Texans relying on offense or defense?

By Michael Bonzagni and John Choi | ESPN.com

This is the latest installment of a weekly NFL discussion that takes a closer look at one of the week’s hot topics. Today’s discussion focuses on whether the offense or defense deserved more credit for the Texans' 4-0 start. The Texans will put their perfect record on the line at the New York Jets on Monday Night Football.

Defense is the key

The Houston Texans are Super Bowl favorites after the first four weeks of the season, and the defense is the reason why.

Houston has allowed a league-low 273 yards per game thanks to its ability to dominate opposing quarterbacks. Wade Phillips’ unit has held quarterbacks to a 12.5 QBR and just 5.4 yards per attempt, both the best in the league. The unit has allowed a 52.9 completion percentage and 182.8 passing yards per game, both second-lowest in the NFL.

The Texans are second in the league in time of possession (35:32) because the defense gets off the field after third downs, allowing opponents to convert a league-low 25 percent of the time (12-of-48 opportunities). Opposing quarterbacks complete 46 percent of their passes for 4.3 yards per attempt with a 3.7 QBR on third downs.

As a result, the defense has been on the field for an average of 58 snaps per game, tied for fourth lowest in the league.

The Texans defense has evolved into an elite unit that suffocates opposing quarterbacks and allows the offense to control the ball. The defense is the reason the Texans are one of just three undefeated teams.

-- Michael Bonzagni

It’s all about the offense

The Texans have emerged as one of the best teams in the NFL, boasting the highest point differential in the league at +70, and it’s because of the offense, which is averaging seven more points per game than last season.

The offensive line has protected the quarterback, allowing a sack every 42 dropbacks, the best rate in the NFL. That’s allowed Matt Schaub to be efficient when opponents send four or fewer pass rushers -- he’s completed 73.9 percent of his passes against such pressure with five touchdowns, both in the top two among qualified quarterbacks.

The o-line has helped the run game as well -- Houston running backs have scored five of their six rushing touchdowns inside the tackles. No other team’s running backs have more than four touchdowns on such runs.

Overall, the offense extends drives with third-down efficiency, converting at the sixth-best rate in the league. Their success comes from getting in manageable situations -- 63 percent of Houston’s third downs are five yards to go or fewer, the best rate in the NFL.

The Texans have only turned the ball over twice this season, tied for the fewest in the NFL, and have no turnovers in the red zone. Last season the Texans had five red-zone turnovers -- only the Philadelphia Eagles had more.

-- John Choi

Source: ESPN Stats & Info

Wade Phillips’ unit has held quarterbacks to a 12.5 QBR and just 5.4 yards per attempt, both the best in the league. The unit has allowed a 52.9 completion percentage

This is kind of mind boggling. 12.5 QBR and 52%? Damn.

Wade Phillips has turned that D around. Hell they're doing all this WITHOUT Mario, goes to show maybe he wasn't the superstar player people thought he was

Wade Phillips has turned that D around. Hell they're doing all this WITHOUT Mario, goes to show maybe he wasn't the superstar player people thought he was

Or they could be even beastlier with him :ninja:

Wade Phillips has done an incredible job. The Texans always had the talent on that side of the ball, but now it's finally being utiised to its full potential. Add to that their high octane offense and it's hard to see them not going deep into the playoffs if they keep playing like this. You gotta play well on both sides of the ball if you're going to win the Super Bowl...

Or they could be even beastlier with him :ninja:

He hasn't done squat for the Bills.

The Texans are the best team in the league, no doubt. They have such amazing balance, and not only a balance.. But each side of the scale is ABSOLUTELY STACKED.

However... Things changed when Wade Phillips came to town. The Texans had an electrifying offense, but they weren't the best. The defense improves EXPONENTIALLY, and here we are, contemplating a serious Super Bowl run for the Houston Texans. Who would have though some years ago when this franchise was leaning on David Carr to carry them?

I have to rule in favor of the defense here, no matter how great the offense might be.

• Upvote 2

Opposing quarterbacks complete 46 percent of their passes for 4.3 yards per attempt with a 3.7 QBR on third downs.

g1332118713377210683.jpg

This Texans team is absolutely a nightmare. They can score on you at ANY time...offense...defense...special teams. JJ Watt is head and shoulders above any other defender in the NFL at this time. I guarantee you will see the Jets imploding on MNF. Tebow Time or not, the Jets are about to get embarrassed on a world stage. Hard.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the Texans are the best team in the NFL. Like F4E said, the Texans already had a great explosive offense but when Wade Phillips came in, he brought an amazing defensive scheme and brought balance to that team. Texans went from the worst defense in the league to the best (top) defense. A great balanced team doesn't solely rely on their super stars to do well. Mario Williams is out and the Texans didn't skip a beat. Actually, they are doing better. Texans aren't relying / living or dying on the play of Andre Johnson (granted who's presence makes a difference period) who just has 16 catches for 268 yds and 2 tds. Shit, the Texans even went to the play offs without their QB and WON games with their ROOKIE Qb. That's what you call a GREAT team with incredible balance.

It wasn't Wade Phillips alone, they picked up some serious defensive talent in the past two years, Shutdown corner, Pass Rushers worth a damn, Daniel Manning and JJ fricking Watt. Texans are scary everywhere, and they aren't relying on either offense or defense, they're just getting the job done. Arian Foster is a young Terrell Davis with the ZBS, Matt Schaub is one of the best QB's in the game... Where is the weakness on this squad? Because I just don't see it.

Do not see a real weakness either. Scary bunch.

Kind of a weird moment for me being a Texans fan. This is the first time that Houston has been a legit Super Bowl contender since Warren Moon was quarterbacking the Oilers in the 90's. The fan in me that has witnessed mediocrity from 2002-2010 still has me steering off to the side of caution just waiting for the eventual train wreck to happen.

This team is great, and the scary thing is I think they could be even better down the road. Rush offense and defense could see some improvements, and the return game could use a spark from Mr. Holliday. All in all I have no complaints and I'm just going to try and enjoy the ride, because it's only just started.

Tough games are ahead, and that will be the true test for this team...

Week 6: vs. :Packers:

Week 7: vs. :Ravens:

Week 10: @ :Bears:

Week 12: @ :Lions:

Week 14: @ :Patriots:

Texans are going to rape the shit out of Green Bay. lol.

Texans are going to rape the shit out of Green Bay. lol.

Ya, they will. I think Houston is maybe the only team in the league who is not only better than us, but just more talented overall. And their amazing balance of run VS pass.. and their stout D is going to stifle us. Wouldn't doubt if it was a blowout.

I came into this thread to offer another opinion on how ridiculously good the Texans are this year but I can't seem to remember the words, all I know is it had something to do with Kate Upton...

Teams need to take a look at what the Titans did in the 2nd quarter vs the Texans. The defense locked down their offense and the offense moved the ball. The defense continued to lock down their offense in to the 3rd quarter before Matt Hasselbeck started to play like shit and couldn't get the offense going, requiring the defense to become tired.

From what I saw on Sunday, this Texans team is far from some unstoppable force. The Titans are far from being a great team, and if Jake Locker weren't injured I'd say there's a good chance we would have won the game given he would have allowed the defense to rest more and keep the Houston offense locked down.

Houston is good, but people are really starting to overrate them, at least, basing off what I saw on Sunday.

I'm not as worried about their offense as I am about their defense.

Matt Schaub isn't a Drew Brees. As long as we pressure the QB I think our D will do fine (as always when we pressure the QB).

That being said, who knows what Capers wants to do. We have to get past Indy first... how good/bad Luck does against us will probably factor in to how he prepares the defense for Houston.

ogawd the Vikings play the Texans ;_;

Is Ravens Texans a primetime game? That is a MUST see. :yep:

Guest Phailadelphia

I was saying after last season that the Texans would have gone to the Super Bowl if Matt Schaub had been healthy. I think they're even better this year and, again, if they stay healthy I can't imagine they're not Super Bowl bound. Who in the AFC can match them on both sides of the ball? No one is dominating both facets of the game like Houston is right now.

• Upvote 1