Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Disney buys LucasFilm

I get what you're saying... but then what would the movie have been about? :lol:

A Star Wars movie without good vs. evil? Just all the old characters putzing about the universe?

There was obviously a lot of nods to the old franchise, but it was presented in a way that felt new to me. I think the phrase 'blatant-ripoff' I've seen on some critic sites is a little harsh and maybe a little haterish and underhanded.

That was just a general phase. I meant like First Order vs Resistance....Empire vs Rebels.....Sith vs Republic.

Of course there will be a protagonist and an antagonist. And I write, but I don't write for Star Wars so I'm sure they have better ideas than me :lol: but all I mean is the original trilogy was in the middle of a war and the prequels was just setting everything up. TFA was also in the middle of the war which is why we have so many unanswered questions. I would never say it was a rip-off, but eventually Abrams, Disney, and fans alike will look back and say yeah making it a New Hope remake was the ultimate hook.

Too oochy's point.....there are def differences....but in a way Kylo seems more dangerous just because the stuff he can do with The Force is scary. He might not be well calculated or composed, but Vader couldn't do half that stuff. And I feel like the resistance has less power. Yes they blew up the weapon...but the Republic is gone, they lost half their fleet trying to destroy it, and they still have no one from the light side of the force in their corner. Luke needs to come back and Rey has to grow then I can agree.

Edited by butta54

Mostly unrelated, but...

younglings.gif

How badass would this scene have been if before the scene cut, the youngling squared up and turned his lightsaber on?

Kylo Ren just needs to kill some little kids to level up.

• Upvote 2

That would have been hilarious and awesome. Also, el oh el @ kill some little kids to level up :yao:

(holding a blaster bolt in midair for several minutes)

that part was awesome, the whole time I was wondering if it would continue once he stopped holding it, then it did, the attention to detail there was great

• Upvote 1

I think the best thing about TFA, and what sets it apart from ANH and what makes it such a perfect kick-off point for the new trilogy, is that it told us nothing about what story arc we're following. I may need to re-watch it, but if memory serves it was really clear from ANH that it was Luke's story, and the rest of the original trilogy followed that. The whole trilogy was Luke's story arc and every character was only important for how he or she impacted Luke. For the prequel trilogy we knew before production started (such is life when you're making prequels) that it was going to be Anakin's story, the Phantom Menace did nothing to dispel that notion, nor did the rest of the trilogy. The prequels were all about tracking Anakin's story arc and how he turned into Darth Vader.

TFA left us with significant questions about three major characters, any of whom could be the focal points of Episodes VIII and IX. That's what has me so excited about seeing where this trilogy goes, I could easily see these movies tracking the development of Rey, Kylo Ren, Finn, or hell, even Poe, he's definitely a long shot to be the focal point, but I think everyone is expecting his role to be bigger in VIII and IX.

I agree with this. Was thinking about it earlier that I never really expected this movie to cause as much fan theories and speculation like the Superhero movies. Just thought they would give us all the details and make us enjoy the adventure.

Just got back from it ... I dunno if we are still doing spoilers, but I will follow suit.

I was reading Oochy's post about how badly he wants Rey to be Luke's daughter and kind of chuckled because his post actually more so convinced me that Rey is Han and Leia's daughter. Although being that Luke's saber "called" to her, she probably is Luke's. :laugh: Speaking of, Kylo Ren is amazing. I don't really need to say much else because I think most of you not named Butta or Sparty conveyed my feelings on the matter. I just love the young, semi-experienced, and heavily conflicted character that he portrays.

It's a great reflection of people... Our psyche's aren't just black and white, but a blending of the two. People exist in layers, and Ren is a perfect example of that. And honestly, I think even with killing his father and his new training on the horizon, that we still see that confliction return. It would be a huge disappointment if Ren is just purely evil from now on. I want to continue to see flashes of the light. I want to continue to see that internal struggle... even if he is mostly turned, and even if his actions continue to reflect that.

With that said... When Han yelled out " Ben! " I nearly died inside.... As MGH mentioned... Ben is supposed to be Luke's son. And it makes a shit load of sense that Luke would name his son Ben (Obi-wan). I know it's just a name.. But Han and Leia naming their son Ben grinds my gears. I want the Solo children, and if Ben is supposed to be Jacen, then just fucking call him Jacen... Or something else. ANYTHING ELSE. Call him Jon, or Joe, or Bob, or even Dumpster for all I care... Not Ben. In reality... Rey is probably actually supposed to be Ben (Luke's child) but they wanted a gender swap for diversity's sake and wanted a "Ben" in the movie still. Hate they made the decision like that, but that is what seems likely.

Now... Being that I hate that "small" aspect of the movie some how I want to believe that Ben is actually Ben and they like wiped his memory because Mara Jade like died during child birth and Luke couldn't raise him alone so he gave Ben to Han and Leia... Or maybe Luke and Leia had a child nobody ever knew about and passed him off as Han's... This would make for a really good episode of Maury.

I know that messes with other stuff in the future but... Eh. I just hate that they named him Ben. And if Rey is Luke's daughter, where the heck are the other Solo children. If they don't exist, which it doesn't seem they do... I am very sad.

And ya.. They really underutilized Gwendoline Christie.. What was the point of hyping her up throughout this entire process when she served no purpose. :laugh: Hopefully she survived and comes back, because wow.. that really sucked.

I know I spent a lot of time complaining, but it truly was an amazing movie. Loved it. Gonna be a lot of fun to watch these characters develop over the years. I want Episode VIII :(

Edited by Favre4Ever

Butta and Havoc aren't the only ones. I don't see any of what you guys are talking about with Ren. But then again at this point it's almost expected for me to disagree with the majority of Star Wars fans. Lol.

Damn, it's great to be having discussions like this about a new Star Wars movie. The only thing you can really dig into in the prequels is how complex the plot nonsense is, and Plinkett pretty much nails it anyway.

• Upvote 1

Damn, it's great to be having discussions like this about a new Star Wars movie. The only thing you can really dig into in the prequels is how complex the plot nonsense is, and Plinkett pretty much nails it anyway.

It's nice to have a Star Wars movie worthy of the discussion.

Saw it for the 4th time last night :yao: before christmas shopping. This time in 3D.

My favorite part is still the saber fight, short-lived as it is. I gotta commend the action choreographer there. I think what makes it really great is that it's like an actual sword fight, instead of like a high-school marching band baton contest that they were in 2 and 3.

Just got back from it a little bit ago.

If I had to rate it, I'd give it an incomplete. On its own, I don't think it's that great, but in the context of the overall trilogy arc, it could be great, if that makes any sense.

Rambling spoilers, ahead.

First off, got damn it, JJ Abrams. I really want to give this movie a 0/10 just for killing off the best character of the OT. Actually, I think that my biggest issue is not that it happened (Although I hate that it happened. It probably would've ruined RotJ too if Harrison had gotten his way), but how it happened. It's a throwaway death. Like, literally. He gets stabbed, and falls off a bridge and that's the end of it. Like, what? I know I'm biased in this, but got damn that's an awful, AWFUL, death for a character as prominent as Han.

I can only hope that somehow Phasma (As an aside, expectations are the devil. When I take over the world, there will be no more expectations. Phasma's role should've been Tarkin-esque at the very least. Instead, we see her on the screen for what? Three minutes? And then, poof, never seen again. Ridiculous) is still alive, finds a wounded Solo and then gets off the base before it explodes. It's a long shot, I know, but I can dream.

The new leads are gonna be fun to watch in the sequels, and honestly the less we get from the OT characters (mainly Leia. Alright, just Leia) the better. Hopefully, Luke is awesome.

With that said though, I don't think Finn and Poe had that much chemistry (probably the wrong word, but whatevs). Everything seemed weird, and kinda...forced and not natural whenever the two of them were on screen together. I guess this plays into my expectation problem again, because I went in expecting Poe to essentially be a Han clone, and instead he's like the nicest, most-trusting dude in the whole universe. Just...odd.

Rey's lineage is certainly going to be interesting whenever it's revealed. She could be Luke's kid I guess, The timing seems way off from the flashback the saber showed her, but I guess he could've had her sent away before all that happened. I actually feel like Poe might be his, given that they keep mentioning he's the rebellion's "best pilot", but that probably doesn't make any sense to think that. I dunno. Though didn't Han say something about Luke starting his school with just two students, a male and a female, before things progressed and Kylo killed the others? Or am I misremembering?

Kylo Ren was...something. Once again, expectations are the devil. What I expected was Vader-lite. Instead, I got, well, I don't know what I got. Started off menacing but then just turned into a dude with daddy-issues. He acts like a child, and for a character that was expected to be a badass, it's jarring. Although I guess in saying that, I did get Vader-lite, just not in the way that I wanted. :yao:

Didn't Han yell "Ren!" during the bridge scene? Sure sounded like it.

Young people ruin everything.

Lightsabers are wildly inconsistent in the way they're depicted from trilogy to trilogy. Either they can cut through just about anything, or they can't. Kylo and Finn should both be dead right now. And hell, Kylo should be dead from taking a bowcaster bolt to the gut.

Speaking of bowcaster; Chewie's grown since the OT. I don't remember him being that tall.

I've got my issues with the film, but I do think the trilogy is off to a decent start. I also think that VIII will have a much different feel to it with Rian Johnson at the helm, at least I hope so. Here's hoping the first hour of the movie will be just be Rey and Luke in a room talking. Talking is a good thing. Things don't just have to jump from action piece to action piece. Stop. Give some exposition. Flesh things out. VII could've benefited greatly from a slowly down instead of the full throttle that it went.

Edited by Vin
  • Upvote 2

There's a solid reason given for this, lol. People not watching the movie/listening to it and then coming up with problems with it that were explained in the movie itself ftw!

And I hate Kylo’s lightsaber. It looks wrong, sounds wrong, everything.

This is really getting on my nerves, lol. It's not true. Kylo Ren is not even a Sith at all, much less a Sith Lord, that's the whole damn point.

Untrained people fight a Sith Lord with a lightsaber successfully, and none of it makes sense.
Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

After re-watching Jurassic World last night, I'm a little worried about Episode IX with Colin Trevorrow at the helm. The movie is shot nicely, I guess, but the acting is horrible and some of the dialogue is too (Trevorrow was a co-writer).

So hopefully Rian Johnson's Episode VIII is so epic and sets up the final movie so well that Trevorrow just has to not fuck it up.

I was a little worried about that too. I liked Jurassic World, but not because it was a super great movie. That might not make sense, but idk how to explain it. I hold SW to a much higher standard than JP.

I personally really liked Episode VII. It's not perfect by any means, and pretty much all of my gripes have already been stated in this thread, but I feel like this movie has set the next two movies up really nicely to succeed even further.

• Upvote 1

Just saw this movie. Love the three new good characters. Poe is my favorite character (barring clarification on Rey)! Just awesome and if I were to ever be spawned in that universe I would want to be a X Wing pilot for the Resistance haha.

A lot of parallels to A New Hope but I thought the first half was different enough and had great character development.

I had my doubts about Ren, like Sparty, but seeing the clarification other users have made I guess everything makes sense. Not sure I'm a fan of the casting of him, I've seen that guy in some Jason Batemen movie that I can't ever recall and his actor played some goofy stoner. I guess it's hard to get over that image in my head of that actor. And I don't really see any resemblance to his parents.

Rey:

I guess Campin and MHG beat me to too it. But I left that movie really hoping Rey was a descendant of Obi-Wan (my favorite SW character). I know we can read into the scene when she first grabbed Anakin's sabre BUT that could've also been simply the force awakening. Though, R2D2 waking up could also be a sign she is Luke's daughter as that would've been the first time she was around him. But yeah if she is of blood to Obi-Wan then she is my insta-favorite! Also, that actress is gorgeous IMO, sorry Poe you might lose anyways :wub:

Regarding the "two untrained" lightsaber users:

At first, I was thinking about that too. HOWEVER, Rey absolutely has experience in melee combat with her spear. AND Finn could've easily been trained in melee combat as a Stormtrooper (i/e with the weapon that the one stormtrooper he fought was using). Not a plot hole.