Franchise 5

Doug Martin explodes for 272 yards, four TDs

7426.jpg

Doug Martin tore the cover off and exploded for 251 yards and four touchdowns on 25 carries, and chipped in four catches for 21 yards as the Buccaneers held off the Raiders 42-32 in Week 9.

It's official: He's graduated to RB1 status. LeGarrette Blount, whose fourth-quarter botched and ultimately fumbled exchange with Josh Freeman nearly cost the Raiders the game, finished with two carries for five yards. Despite the loss of LG Carl Nicks, Martin ran rampant on an Oakland defense that entered the game ranked 11th against the run and surrendered only 3.88 YPC. Martin averaged over ten yards a pop, including second-half scoring explosions of 45 yards, 67, and 70. Proving matchup proof with back-to-back monster games against the Vikings and Raiders, Martin will be a shoo-in top-ten running back play in Week 10 against the Chargers.

Edited by Franchise 5

Martin was AWESOME.

I actually think he could have broken the record, if we didn't use Blount in the 4th. Why we took the ball out of Martin's hands is beyond me. It was an awful decision and almost cost us the game.

It was unreal watching him, he has found his groove and is as dangerous as any RB in the game right now.

Martin was AWESOME.

I actually think he could have broken the record, if we didn't use Blount in the 4th. Why we took the ball out of Martin's hands is beyond me. It was an awful decision and almost cost us the game.

I wouldn't really call it an awful decision. Doug is starting to carry a heavy work load and the coaching staff needs to share carries among others, or else the risk of Doug getting injured or wearing out his body really fast goes through the roof. I think it was a good decision, the offense just had poor execution.

A lot of people are hating on Blount right now but if you take your eyes off of him and watch the rest of the offense, the players really don't look like they're trying as hard when Blount is on the field. On most of his runs there's either not really a hole to run into or someone misses a block from poor effort. On the fumble play, Freeman did a poor job of handing it off. Blount was obviously watching the defense, as RB's often do during the hand off. It's up to Freeman to put the ball on Blounts chest right where he always wraps the ball up, instead he nearly put it on Blount's left armpit.

I wouldn't really call it an awful decision. Doug is starting to carry a heavy work load and the coaching staff needs to share carries among others, or else the risk of Doug getting injured or wearing out his body really fast goes through the roof. I think it was a good decision, the offense just had poor execution.

Martin had just come off 2 40+ yard TD runs in a row. He had the hot hand. You've got to continue feeding him the ball when he's running like that.

The fumble is credited to Freeman and not Blount on NFL.com. Prolly for good reason.

The fumble is credited to Freeman and not Blount on NFL.com. Prolly for good reason.

Doesn't really matter whose fault the fumble was. Blount shouldn't have been in the game regardless.

The fumble automatically goes to the player who last had possession. Or so I think.

That fumble wasn't really on Blount.

As for Martin, Im glad he is turning it up, the game has slowed down for him and he is just carrying this team on his back when he needs to.

Doesn't really matter whose fault the fumble was. Blount shouldn't have been in the game regardless.

Dude, the guy had 29 touches in the game. That's a lot for anyone, let alone a rookie. Blount is usually pretty reliable and can grind out some yards. I have no problem with the decision, regardless of how it almost turned out.

@RLiuNFL:

.@TBBuccaneers Doug Martin’s 486 scrimmage yds in past 2 are most in 2-gm span in @nfl season since Walter Payton in 1977

RotoWorld:

Doug Martin is the second player in NFL history to rush for at least 250 yards and score four touchdowns in one game.

Denver's Mike Anderson is the only other back to accomplish the jaw-dropping feat. Martin also became the first back since 1940 to score three touchdowns on runs of at least 45 yards and easily topped the Bucs' single-game record for total yards, a mark previously set in 1983 by James Wilder. According to ESPN, Martin's 51 fantasy points in standard scoring formats were tied for the third-most since 1995, behind only outbursts from Clinton Portis and Shaun Alexander. Nov 5 - 8:55 AM

Source: Tampa Bay Times

Edited by BucD

Dude is just incredible. I knew he was going to be good after week 1 and would have a solid rookie season but what hes done has blown me and the rest of the league away.

He's easily the NFLs ROY at this point.

Dude, the guy had 29 touches in the game. That's a lot for anyone, let alone a rookie. Blount is usually pretty reliable and can grind out some yards. I have no problem with the decision, regardless of how it almost turned out.

Do you realize Martin just broke off 2 40+ runs the 2 plays before Blount was brought in? He literally broke off 2 huge runs in a row and scored TD's on both. If a RB is that hot, you keep on feeding him the ball. And he wasn't tired. He was jumping and jogging in place on the sidelines waiting to go in when Blount was playing.

Dude is just incredible. I knew he was going to be good after week 1 and would have a solid rookie season but what hes done has blown me and the rest of the league away.

He's easily the NFLs ROY at this point.

Say what?

RG3 is still the ROY at this point, two fantastic games do not put him ahead of RG3.

• Upvote 1

A lot of shit can change. Geno Smith won the Heisman in September, remember?

lolGenoSmith,lolWestVirginia